Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Stadium Plans

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went to the Diamond League Athletics on Saturday. It wasn’t too bad on a nice day as a one off, but I think crowds would seriously drop off if we were playing 19+ games there, especially for a second season and night matches.

The view wasn’t too bad for an athletics stadium, but the facilities are basic at best. No toilets, only portaloos, and none of those with hand washing facilities. Half a dozen catering vans at extortionate prices (even by stadium food prices). No roof behind either end, I caught the sun quite badly (note to self or anyone else: take a hat for the games in a few months), but also if/when it rains then it’s going to be really grim. There’s no cover anywhere, in or outside the stands.

Getting there was a pain in the **** too, even with dedicated shuttle busses. Classic British transport planning, instead of having them leave from outside New Street, you had to walk 15 minutes through the city centre to Aston University to catch them. There were no signs, only a couple of volunteers standing around looking bored, on their phone/smoking with signs propped up against the lamppost they were leaning on. Loads of people were lost and asking for directions, trying to follow the trickle of people. Then on the ‘shuttle busses’, instead of having a dedicated lane, a 2 mile, 10 minute journey took half an hour stuck in traffic, especially near the stadium where they didn’t seem to have publicised that they were closing roads given the amount of drivers holding traffic up doing 3 point turns. All a bit of a shambles that could have been done so much better. Good day other than that, but would be a real bind if Wolves moved there. Would sooner share at the Whorethorns.

Took some pictures if anyones interested.

Incidentally, the ‘big’ screens were as bad as ours are at Molineux. Couldn’t see a thing on them.

PMWachg.jpg

W02c8Qq.jpg

JqEklfc.jpg

2QHFt3r.jpeg

ouNYyWj.jpeg

rThXIhQ.jpeg

9x9JaH5.jpeg

8joF04F.jpeg

2Z1ehCq.jpeg

pY9mQK3.jpeg

i3XvzAy.jpeg

IWY6E2M.jpeg

GWaGhOm.jpeg

iW3RSs0.jpeg
Just seen this, the brand spanking new Perry Barr station. Ready to welcome the world's spectators...

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
Great photos, thanks for sharing! Really annoys me, this. Compare this to what Manchester got for the Commonwealth Games. The Midlands gets a new stand and a load of scaffolding. I can't help but think the games are just gonna be an embarrassment to the region, to be honest. I know we were awarded it later than usual, but it just feels like the Midlands has been shafted again.
Just like Manchester and London's ring motorways compared to our cheapskate, deliberately unsuitable for trucks Birmingham Northern Relief Toll road that we have to pay for... ;-((. 50 years plus of constant traffic jams and roadworks on the M6 through the conurbation too and nowt to the West of Wolvo, Dudley, Kiddy, etc

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is it a Labour council
Irrelevant. All councils are skint and so you can't blame these for trying to squeeze a bit of cash out of Forest. Also, if the club are entering the property game to subsidise their ground expansion the council are perfectly entitled to ask for support with educating the newcomers. West Bridgeford is undoubtedly Tory by the way.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cagliari in Italy have a temporary stadium that’s actually moved location three times!

I think it would be feasible to build four temporary stands for a 30k capacity for two seasons. It wouldn’t be great facilities wise, but would do the job. West Park would be ideal, but maybe the centre of Dunstall Park more likely. You could even add roofs like Fortuna Düsseldorf did.

Is that stadium made of lego?

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just like Manchester and London's ring motorways compared to our cheapskate, deliberately unsuitable for trucks Birmingham Northern Relief Toll road that we have to pay for... ;-((. 50 years plus of constant traffic jams and roadworks on the M6 through the conurbation too and nowt to the West of Wolvo, Dudley, Kiddy, etc

The Metro annoys me.......20 years plus and still only one line (and that dont work) on a route that already has a main train link.....embarrassing when you look what other cities like Manchester and Nottingham have done in less time ........

Typical of the backward thinking of the region and the pie and a pint councils we have running it

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Don't disagree with Brum doing the Commonwealth games on the cheap and sustainably. Sheffield hosted a Student Games in the 90s and is still paying for the debt it took on.
Would've been good to get extra facilities for the population, like Manc did with the Velodrome. not sure if the new swimming pool etc is new or upgraded??
Lots of investment around Perry Barr for after the games, shows the city off, gives us something local to do, and taxpayers not stung for a decade. Guess the government could've helped and put their hands in their pockets?

W

WasStefan

The Metro annoys me.......20 years plus and still only one line (and that dont work) on a route that already has a main train link.....embarrassing when you look what other cities like Manchester and Nottingham have done in less time ........

Typical of the backward thinking of the region and the pie and a pint councils we have running it
Theyre improving the tram line now. But you are right 20 years too late. It’ll soon go to Birmingham airport and Merry Hill via Dudley. Next need to link to Walsall via Wednesfield and Willenhall imo. Then later on loop around Wolves but that’s probably decades away.

Jamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really think that we are in danger of getting way behind on the stadium. The Steve Bull is clapped out and SJH's stands were done on the cheap. The new North Bank is fine, but no connection to the rest of the stadium.
Jeff has got this wrong, IMO. Sustainabilty is both/and, not either/or.
A top ten squad and a stadium for future generations.

Hsvwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Theyre improving the tram line now. But you are right 20 years too late. It’ll soon go to Birmingham airport and Merry Hill via Dudley. Next need to link to Walsall via Wednesfield and Willenhall imo. Then later on loop around Wolves but that’s probably decades away.
Lol…. Most on here will never see it happen

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really think that we are in danger of getting way behind on the stadium. The Steve Bull is clapped out and SJH's stands were done on the cheap. The new North Bank is fine, but no connection to the rest of the stadium.
Jeff has got this wrong, IMO. Sustainabilty is both/and, not either/or.
A top ten squad and a stadium for future generations.

I agree. The issue is that from the point a decision is made to do anything significant to the point where that facility is ready could be a decade given the planning, tendering, construction and certification. It’s already likely that a replacement Steve Bull wouldn’t be finished much before 2030.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned but Villa planning on a new North Stand, should start end of next season. Has gone very quite on the stadium rebuild and is something we can not ignore. The Steve Bull will be in danger of a heath and safety risk

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
View attachment 28101

This carpet has been down in the Steve Bull stand for over 40 years, get your cheque book out Jeff!
I remember when they we in the final throes of building it, me and my mates would go up on Sunday afternoons and bunk in over the fences and wander round. I can remember when we first saw the carpet and there were rolls of it stacked up. We hatched a plan to "borrow" a stanley knife and go back and take some remnants for our bedrooms.

Used to love swanning around in the Executive boxes and taking a leak in the "posh" toilets until the old fella in his uniform and cap (no hi-viz back then) would chase us off with his Alsatian dog!

Oldgoldilox

Groupie
Reaction score
I remember when they we in the final throes of building it, me and my mates would go up on Sunday afternoons and bunk in over the fences and wander round. I can remember when we first saw the carpet and there were rolls of it stacked up. We hatched a plan to "borrow" a stanley knife and go back and take some remnants for our bedrooms.

Used to love swanning around in the Executive boxes and taking a leak in the "posh" toilets until the old fella in his uniform and cap (no hi-viz back then) would chase us off with his Alsatian dog!
Love this! I remember as a kid going to the open day at the ground in 1980 after the league cup win and they had the cup on display in the exec box reception area. I also clearly remember that carpet and being surprised and a tad disappointed that it was still there when I next went in there on a corporate promo evening do in the late 90s. Doubly amazed that its still there today, the bloody thing's 45 year old!

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Love this! I remember as a kid going to the open day at the ground in 1980 after the league cup win and they had the cup on display in the exec box reception area. I also clearly remember that carpet and being surprised and a tad disappointed that it was still there when I next went in there on a corporate promo evening do in the late 90s. Doubly amazed that its still there today, the bloody thing's 45 year old!
The plan was to replace it out of the gate receipts from our next cup final!

Jay Jay de Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That SE corner temp stand has only 1 more year left of the 3 year planning, so unless it goes up pre season...its safe to say it ain`t happening!
Correct so Fosun Inetrnational seem to have no Molineux redevelopment plans at all for the future now :(
Unless Jef Shi surprises the Wolves fans soon by saying the plans and project are back in place?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Correct so Fosun Inetrnational seem to have no Molineux redevelopment plans at all for the future now :(
Unless Jef Shi surprises the Wolves fans soon by saying the plans and project are back in place?

Frankly I won’t be crying over this plan dying. One crappy uncovered temporary stand is one too many.

Coshamwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Frankly I won’t be crying over this plan dying. One crappy uncovered temporary stand is one too many.
Thought it better than nothing. On the drawings it was cone shaped, curving round with a screen at the back, so better looking than the Gene Kelly, although it had only 500 capacity.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought it better than nothing. On the drawings it was cone shaped, curving round with a screen at the back, so better looking than the Gene Kelly, although it had only 500 capacity.

Why the hell go to the trouble of building another new “temporary “ corner stand without a roof? I mean it’s hardly difficult to provide a cheap roof at the same time, and just shows how penny pinching they’re being.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes. It was seating between the two stands, and involved replacing the video screen frame with a new one behind the new seats, as well as the necessary gates.
I'd like to see that. Not because it'd make Molineux a ground on a par with our rivals (it isn't, it's miles behind Villa Park and when Leicester complete the crisp bowl it'll be way behind that in terms of facilities) but because the current 90s video wall blocks the sound from us South Bank refugees in J10 and vice versa. Let's please also agree on a permanent place for away fans so the quadrant can become a third rowdy bit of the ground.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd like to see that. Not because it'd make Molineux a ground on a par with our rivals (it isn't, it's miles behind Villa Park and when Leicester complete the crisp bowl it'll be way behind that in terms of facilities) but because the current 90s video wall blocks the sound from us South Bank refugees in J10 and vice versa. Let's please also agree on a permanent place for away fans so the quadrant can become a third rowdy bit of the ground.

The approved application is described here

I’m still amazed that a simple roof wasn’t incorporated if you’re going to the trouble of building the seats, new toilets and gates and a new tv screen. The Graham Hughes was originally thrown up quickly to meet an immediate need for capacity. This is a more considered design with more permanence around it, so the lack of roof seems even stranger.

Last edited:

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The approved application is described here

I’m still amazed that a simple roof wasn’t incorporated if you’re going to the trouble of building the seats, new toilets and gates and a new tv screen. The Graham Hughes was originally thrown up quickly to meet an immediate need for capacity. This is a more considered design with more permanence around it, so the lack of roof seems even stranger.
And I can’t understand why a roof wasn’t incorporated into the recent rebuild of the Graham Hughes

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

Someone you know was in charge of the ground when it was under Council control when we were in difficulties .
He had the keys and he used to ‘allege’ that he had made love to his then girlfriend in every one of the executive boxes in the Steve Bull stand , not when matches were on may I hasten to add :)

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why the hell go to the trouble of building another new “temporary “ corner stand without a roof? I mean it’s hardly difficult to provide a cheap roof at the same time, and just shows how penny pinching they’re being.
I’m guessing here but it may have been down to needing further planning permission and a more extensive rebuild which would have meant that it wouldn’t have opened at all this year. I still don’t know why the original design didn’t fill the corners in originally.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
As a minor point I don't think a roof for a new temp stand would be that important. It's nowhere near as exposed as the SW corner.

Back
Top Bottom