Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Spurs (H) Verdict

• Thread starter Deleted member 5276
  • Start date

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All we are lacking from an attacking point of view is Trincao to get up to speed / upgraded , and moutinho to be upgraded with someone that can put in a challenge and bloody shoot

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
LWB is a bit of a dilemma for me. Thought Marcal was superb defensively, but pretty awful offensively. In this system the wing backs are very important and we need attacking contributions from them, I’m not sure Marcal will give us that. On the flip side, I’m not sure Ait-Nouri will give us the defensive solidity that Marcal does. Tricky one.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok first of all I am really warming to Bruno Lage in his intelligent responses in interviews and in the great job he has done in such a short time to give us a far more attacking front foot approach. I really wish him well and will defend him if we lose vs Man Ure and everyone points to nil points and three consecutive losses.

The fact is he is without Boly, Podence, Neto, Jonny and Mosquera. So far he has received little support from Shi in terms of strengthening his options. Yet from where I am looking the players are clearly more than up for it under his leadership. We were better than Leicester and far better than Spurs. BUT a lack of a cutting edge in front of goal is costing us dearly. Against Celta Vigo it was the same story and yet another 0-1 defeat. Its all about small margins at this level and at the moment we can't put the ball in the onion bag. If that continues confidence will be drained and we could be in for a very tough season. Shi has got to make sure we keep Neves and Traore for starters. A sale at this point would be devastating and dangerous. I don't believe any club is going to offer a sum that would justify such a move. Both those players are £50m plus players based on current happenings in the market. But even if we were offered £50m plus if the result of taking the money and filling in with inferior players was relegation that would be a huge error.

Fosun shouldn't have taken this project on and appointed this manager if they are not going to support him properly. We need an absolute minimum of three new quality additions in the next 7-9 days. The time for' being interested in' player x, y and z is over. I believe Lage, given the right tools, will do a great job for us this season.

Re the match:

Kilman is going to be an England player if he keeps evolving. Stick with him.
Ait Nouri imv is in a similar category and needs more game time. Appreciate that Marcal had a good match and is a very solid defender. But he is 32. He is not the future.
Neves is class. Give him a bloody partner in central midfield who is worthy of the name. Mouts is a good back up , as is Leander but we need a first choice attacking midfielder who is a creator and goal threat. How many times does it need saying....and yet for now nothing.
I like Sa - suits the attacking style.
That new striker is SO badly needed. Of course Raul will take time to get into it again. Silva will slowly improve. But we need someone for now who knows how to score goals and take the pressure off Raul and ideally work by his side in a 442.
We so badly miss Jota. Seeing him in Liverpool colours still hurts. With him in our team we might have had six points now not zero.
Trincao needs time. He has some great touches but for now is rather peripheral. He will bulk up in time and play a greater role as he steps up to the pace and physical requirements of the Premier League.. Patience.
Love Coady but I think he is always going to be vulnerable against pace. To get to the next level we need to replace him imv and have him on the bench. Will take quite a player to replace him. Boly and Kilman are fine in my book as long as injuries don't continue for the former. Perhaps Mosquera can be the third CB ultimately. Kilman in the Coady role longer term? Saiss is a great squad player and Dendoncker too can fill in when needed.

So will we strengthen significantly or not? If we don't and we lose badly against United we face an uphill battle and pressure to win the 'easy' games after the international break. With injuries, suspensions players being off form we must deepen the squad. Jeff you have to put money where your mouth is. Nothing crazy but good investments that meet the need and encourage the manager and the players that we are playing for more than 14th place this seaon.

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did anyone else have tears in their eyes before ko? I'm not an emotional bloke but hi ho silver lining being belted out by 30,000 of my best friends for 90 minutes after the 18 months we've had put me over the edge

I was watching on telly, thousands of miles way and I'd tears in my eyes...
I feared we'd never see this again.

Whirligig Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Chuffed to see a more positive and higher energy style of play.
Last season was turgid.
Sa - probably a penalty however soft. Humbug! Had nuffink else to do 1st half.
then 2nd half I thought we saw the best of him. Off his line as a sweeper, brave and agile saves. Superb. 8

Marcal - he’s such a steady performer. I wish his crossing was better though. Rescued reckless Saiss in the 1st half and was 2nd only to Adama for me in that opening period. Think he draws on his experience well. 8

Semedo - like Marcal he knows his own game well. Like Marcal he should have extra crossing practice this week. He is ace. 8
Saiss and Coady - it’s not that they didn’t do well it is more that a Nun(wh)o side scored early against us so they were pretty much redundant after that. 6 each.

Kilman. Someone looks like they’ve been speaking to the therapist! So much more confident. 7.

Neves - best midfielder we’ve had in my time attending since 1980. And I’ve seen some real stars…no Corica, not you! If that’s how a man hankering after a move to a big club plays then get me another 10.Magnificent. Caveat. Again, up against a side who scored early (partly his fault!) and just sat back, so he had time and space, but some of his awareness , close control and passing was exquisite. 8.

moutinho - not a passenger so a huge step up from last season already. I expect he’s a great leader in the group. Let’s hope he’s not expected to do too much this season. 7
Trincao - there a touch of Andertoninho about him which is worrying. But he’s so skilful and maybe the only player we have who can cross the ball well. I hope he improves, strengthens and becomes a star like so many of his young compatriots already have. 6

Raúl - 7. Great to see him back.
links play really well. Needs to score soon to give him the belief.

Adama - 8. Blimey. What a first hour or so. I keep telling myself that if he could shoot/pass/cross to finish off the astonishing work he does then he’d be playing for Earth’s first XI against Jupiter all stars. But goodness me it is exciting to watch and mind blowingly frustrating in equal measure.

it was epic to be back.
All the chaps old and not particularly young we’re back in fine form and that made me happier than I’ve been in 18 months.
Loved it.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Ok first of all I am really warming to Bruno Lage in his intelligent responses in interviews and in the great job he has done in such a short time to give us a far more attacking front foot approach. I really wish him well and will defend him if we lose vs Man Ure and everyone points to nil points and three consecutive losses.

The fact is he is without Boly, Podence, Neto, Jonny and Mosquera. So far he has received little support from Shi in terms of strengthening his options. Yet from where I am looking the players are clearly more than up for it under his leadership. We were better than Leicester and far better than Spurs. BUT a lack of a cutting edge in front of goal is costing us dearly. Against Celta Vigo it was the same story and yet another 0-1 defeat. Its all about small margins at this level and at the moment we can't put the ball in the onion bag. If that continues confidence will be drained and we could be in for a very tough season. Shi has got to make sure we keep Neves and Traore for starters. A sale at this point would be devastating and dangerous. I don't believe any club is going to offer a sum that would justify such a move. Both those players are £50m plus players based on current happenings in the market. But even if we were offered £50m plus if the result of taking the money and filling in with inferior players was relegation that would be a huge error.

Fosun shouldn't have taken this project on and appointed this manager if they are not going to support him properly. We need an absolute minimum of three new quality additions in the next 7-9 days. The time for' being interested in' player x, y and z is over. I believe Lage, given the right tools, will do a great job for us this season.

Re the match:

Kilman is going to be an England player if he keeps evolving. Stick with him.
Ait Nouri imv is in a similar category and needs more game time. Appreciate that Marcal had a good match and is a very solid defender. But he is 32. He is not the future.
Neves is class. Give him a bloody partner in central midfield who is worthy of the name. Mouts is a good back up , as is Leander but we need a first choice attacking midfielder who is a creator and goal threat. How many times does it need saying....and yet for now nothing.
I like Sa - suits the attacking style.
That new striker is SO badly needed. Of course Raul will take time to get into it again. Silva will slowly improve. But we need someone for now who knows how to score goals and take the pressure off Raul and ideally work by his side in a 442.
We so badly miss Jota. Seeing him in Liverpool colours still hurts. With him in our team we might have had six points now not zero.
Trincao needs time. He has some great touches but for now is rather peripheral. He will bulk up in time and play a greater role as he steps up to the pace and physical requirements of the Premier League.. Patience.
Love Coady but I think he is always going to be vulnerable against pace. To get to the next level we need to replace him imv and have him on the bench. Will take quite a player to replace him. Boly and Kilman are fine in my book as long as injuries don't continue for the former. Perhaps Mosquera can be the third CB ultimately. Kilman in the Coady role longer term? Saiss is a great squad player and Dendoncker too can fill in when needed.

So will we strengthen significantly or not? If we don't and we lose badly against United we face an uphill battle and pressure to win the 'easy' games after the international break. With injuries, suspensions players being off form we must deepen the squad. Jeff you have to put money where your mouth is. Nothing crazy but good investments that meet the need and encourage the manager and the players that we are playing for more than 14th place this seaon.
An excellent well thought out post. Thanks very much for your effort.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
As I said in an earlier post, I thought we were very encouraging today.

A couple of things worried me though:
Jimenez didn’t quite look sharp enough in the box, but hopefully a few more games and a goal will sort that. Didn’t help that he was isolated. When Traore or Trincao were in a good attacking position, the other one needs to be busting a gut to get in the middle to provide support for Jimenez and give the defenders something else to worry about. Alternatively, it would be great to see one of our wingbacks attacking the back post. Our best days were when Doc and Jonny always seemed to be popping up where least expected.
More concerning though, and I’ve said this before was Semedo. When he had the ball, he wanted Trincao nowhere near him and when Trincao had the ball, Semedo kept out the way. I thought Traore and Marcal supported each other much more effectively. I think Semedo had one of his better games today, but think he would be incredible if he could form a productive partnership with one of our wingers.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Today again showed every man and his dog what we are lacking , it’s not rocket science
Yes we played well. Yes we deserved something out of the game. Yes there is more attacking intent and I am a bit more confident after watching that
But , Traore and his decision making were appalling. Neves at times looked lost and WTF was that pass they cost us their goal ? Trincao , best game by a country mile so far but he lacks that “ yard of pace “
Marcal , awesome game and my MOTM
Jiminez , I’m concerned , don’t know why , but I am
Finally a word for the referee. ****ER !!! Allowed Spurs to timewaste from the first minute but only did something about it in the 92st . That pathetic passage that saw Spurs have a corner and Son take 2 minutes to take it , they scored , was nearly 3 minutes before game restarted. And every single time their keeper had the ball it was to waste time
Joke of a ref , but ultimately , and again , we only have ourselves to blame
Two games , no goals , no points and the alarm bells will be ringing if we get nothing from first 4 games
FOSUN ****ing sort this **** out. We’ve all seen today just how close we are to being a top half side
Just ****ing sort it out and stop ****ing faffing about.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the live feed they said deli Ali was a clear pen meanwhile Semedo went down. Easy so no pen. You have to laugh
To be fair from the Billy Wright their's looked a definite penalty and our's didn't. Be interesting if I feel the same when I watch them back.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot think of many games that I’ve watched which were played virtually in the opponents half (I’ve seen many played in our half) from start to finish. I would love to see the heat map of the action. We pressed higher up the pitch, chased the ball in packs and were generally on the front foot. Spurs sat deep and defended in numbers which made it more difficult to create clear cut chances. Virtually all of their chances, including the goal were a result of our mistakes. We do look a bit susceptible to the punt over the top.

contrary to some I though for a home debut Trincao did well, had some nice touches and has developed an understanding with Semedo. Some things didn’t work out but he didn’t hide and when he gets up to speed he will be an asset.

Sa was perhaps a bit rash for the penalty but he was in a bit of no win situation. Some good saves second half, couple of times came for balls that Patricio wouldn’t have and cut out any problem at source. Also two fantastic balls near the end to try and release Fabio and Traore, both resulted in both being fouled.

killman, very assured and a fantastic block from nowhere in Son. Also broke forward we’ll.

I thought our midfield were great, on the front foot, winning balls, getting a foot in and spreading play. Unfortunately Neves gave the ball away looking to release Semedo which led to the goal. We need another midfielder as Moutinho cannot do that week in week out.

yes we lost and our lack of goals is a worry, but I look at the play and I compare it to last season when we so often had 0 and it’s chalk and cheese.

finally I’m not sure Spurs fans will be that keen on that style of play when the 1-0s dry up.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be fair from the Billy Wright their's looked a definite penalty and our's didn't. Be interesting if I feel the same when I watch them back.
They are very similar . Think our one is more of a pen than theirs to be fair . Alli kicks sa rather than sa taking him out. I thought this was one of the main things they were trying to eradicate

DPE

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I cannot think of many games that I’ve watched which were played virtually in the opponents half (I’ve seen many played in our half) from start to finish. I would love to see the heat map of the action. We pressed higher up the pitch, chased the ball in packs and were generally on the front foot. Spurs sat deep and defended in numbers which made it more difficult to create clear cut chances. Virtually all of their chances, including the goal were a result of our mistakes. We do look a bit susceptible to the punt over the top.

contrary to some I though for a home debut Trincao did well, had some nice touches and has developed an understanding with Semedo. Some things didn’t work out but he didn’t hide and when he gets up to speed he will be an asset.

Sa was perhaps a bit rash for the penalty but he was in a bit of no win situation. Some good saves second half, couple of times came for balls that Patricio wouldn’t have and cut out any problem at source. Also two fantastic balls near the end to try and release Fabio and Traore, both resulted in both being fouled.

killman, very assured and a fantastic block from nowhere in Son. Also broke forward we’ll.

I thought our midfield were great, on the front foot, winning balls, getting a foot in and spreading play. Unfortunately Neves gave the ball away looking to release Semedo which led to the goal. We need another midfielder as Moutinho cannot do that week in week out.

yes we lost and our lack of goals is a worry, but I look at the play and I compare it to last season when we so often had 0 and it’s chalk and cheese.

finally I’m not sure Spurs fans will be that keen on that style of play when the 1-0s dry up.
Agree with the majority of that but thought Moutinho was outstanding today.

Denmark Wolf

Reaction score
Excellent performance. Great spirit, great fight and f. all to show for it again.

We have to be patient. We're seeing a Wolves side taking the game to top 6 sides and looking by far the better team. Results will come if we continue like this no matter how frustrating the outcome today.

Simply lacking some cutting edge and quality in the box and that comes because there is not enough movement and not enough bodies in there at critical times.

Sa - Good performance and I love a keeper prepared to command his box. Some good distribution as well. 7.5
Kilman - Solid. Did his job. 7.5
Coady - Back to his old self spraying the ball around. Outdone for pace against Son on one occasion but generally speaking can be happy with his game today. 7.5
Saiss - Steady but I thought he should have tracked Alli for the pen. 7
Semedo - OK. We need better quality balls into the box from him when he gets the opportunity. 7
Marcal - See Semedo. 7
Moutinho - Fabulous performance today. Some great vision and really nice to see him commanding a game in this way. 8
Neves - Great through ball to Traore and some top quality work from him. Full of commitment and all we need now is his shooting boots back on. 7.5
Trincao - Still finding his feet and off the pace most of the time. 6
Raul - Not his day but so nice to see him back. 7
Traore - At the end of the day, if its results that matter, we have no points because he has missed two glorious chances two games running. Other than that absolutely fantastic first half even though he ran out of puff a little after 70 mins. MOM by a distance. 8.5.

Subs : Dendoncker - did OK, Ait-Nouri - nice cameo, Silva - needs service.

Bruno - Sets us up extremely well and the goals and results will come. 8

Attwell - On balance, he did OK. If that pen was for us, we'd all be screaming for it even though Alli was looking for it. 7

Spurs - I don't know if that was typical Nuno because I've never seen us really battered like we battered Spurs today. We were always more compact and even though we conceded four a few times, that was more because we had a bad 10 or 20 mins and never a full game like that was. Frankly, Spurs deserved nothing from that game and most of their fans, if they are honest, will know they got away with that today.
Great analysis mate. But thought Neves deserved a higher mark. He was brilliant. We cannot let him or Adama go….

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They are very similar . Think our one is more of a pen than theirs to be fair . Alli kicks sa rather than sa taking him out. I thought this was one of the main things they were trying to eradicate
Yeah it’s pretty much exactly what they said they were trying to cut out this season. Obviously doesn’t apply against Wolves.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with the majority of that but thought Moutinho was outstanding today.
Oh I agree, wasn’t trying to put him down. Was thinking on the way home, the quality slightly dropped when he went off and we need someone that can match his performance from today that can come off the bench or start and then mouts comes on. If I was Lage and Fosun I would be asking him if he’d like a coaching role, such an obvious influencer and leader.

Reactions: DPE

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
Not long got back home. Despite the result I really enjoyed the day. Was great to be back at Molineux with my son and see some familiar faces and slip into a familiar routine. Just some quick thoughts:

- Thought we were great today, especially in the first half. Spurs didn't have a sniff apart from their penalty. I love the type of football Lage has got us playing and I truly believe the goals and the wins will come. Raul is still a bit rusty but will get up to speed after a few more games. Never thought I would ever say this, but I think the decision to replace Nuno with Bruno was a good one. I think we can evolve as a team and we are definitely better to watch. I still partly blame the pandemic, but I think it had gone a bit stale with Nuno. I just don't think Nuno would have got us playing like this. I hope Lage is backed in the transfer market.

- There is no way we are going down. We are really good and as I said the goals will come. There's also no way Spurs will finish in the top four. They don't have good enough players and I can't see Nuno evolving them enough. Taking Wolves to the top 7 is one thing, but the higher expectations at Spurs and extra degree of difficulty getting into the top four means they will struggle and Nuno will come under pressure.

- WE CANNOT SELL TRAORE. I know he's missed our very best chances but he is an unbelievably unique player. He just cannot be stopped on the wing, Nearly all of our opportunities come through his play. I would be worried if we sold him.

- We need speed on the other wing. Trincao is tricky and confident but sometimes we need a bit of speed. This why we miss Neto, and to a lesser extent, Podence, so much. Thought it was good tactic today by Bruno to bring on RAN and put him on the wing.

Kilman has completely won me over. He's excellent now and an even better prospect. He doesn't need replacing in our defence.

- To state the obvious, our final ball needs work. We don't look like we believe we can deliver a killer ball. Still believe that will come though. We just need a goal. We won't be Brighton from last season.

- Nuno is a class act and did everything right today with regards to returning to Molineux and being aware we have a new manager.

- The club needs running properly off the pitch. I hope we rectify this soon. Everything needs improvement, from ticket office, to megastore, to online store, to memberships, to on pitch microphones and sound system, to communication with the fans, to getting people into the stadium in a reasonable time.

- I'm very optimistic about the season from what I have seen of us so far. Onward and upwards.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More heroic failure that people are desperate to cling onto as a positive.

Again, it's easy to play when you're losing. We can't afford to give teams a goal start, which we always do because our defence isn't good enough.

In fairness, it's pure cheating from Alli and I can't believe it's been given as we stand now, when it's supposed to be harsher. Nevertheless, still poor defending and we gave him a decision to make.

We played well after that, Neves in particular, but it's not enough.

The fans have called for months for a CB, CM and a proper backup striker and with those three players on the pitch I believe we take at least a point from the first two games.

The off-field arrogance means our season is a 35-game season not a 38 one. Again, nothing new, this is what we all called weeks and months ago. We'll lose next week because we're not ready and let's hope we are good enough to play 35 games with a proper team, unlike 38 for the rest.

For all those who will say we have had hard games, we have never lost these three games before in the last three years, so it would be a first.

Marcal is sound defensively but abysmal going forward.
Neves outstanding but terrible mistake for the penalty.
Traore excellent but can't excuse his miss again.
Kilman very good.
Coady not good enough.

The bench is awful. Back Bruno and we might have a decent season.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More heroic failure that people are desperate to cling onto as a positive.

Again, it's easy to play when you're losing. We can't afford to give teams a goal start, which we always do because our defence isn't good enough.

In fairness, it's pure cheating from Alli and I can't believe it's been given as we stand now, when it's supposed to be harsher. Nevertheless, still poor defending and we gave him a decision to make.

We played well after that, Neves in particular, but it's not enough.

The fans have called for months for a CB, CM and a proper backup striker and with those three players on the pitch I believe we take at least a point from the first two games.

The off-field arrogance means our season is a 35-game season not a 38 one. Again, nothing new, this is what we all called weeks and months ago. We'll lose next week because we're not ready and let's hope we are good enough to play 35 games with a proper team, unlike 38 for the rest.

For all those who will say we have had hard games, we have never lost these three games before in the last three years, so it would be a first.

Marcal is sound defensively but abysmal going forward.
Neves outstanding but terrible mistake for the penalty.
Traore excellent but can't excuse his miss again.
Kilman very good.
Coady not good enough.

The bench is awful. Back Bruno and we might have a decent season.
Suprised you didn’t mention saiss.

Horrendous for the goal. So bad

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that penalty was a joke, just watched it multiple times.
Alli was planking before the keeper went anywhere near him, should have been overturned for diving.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
that penalty was a joke, just watched it multiple times.
Alli was planking before the keeper went anywhere near him, should have been overturned for diving.
Genuinely ridiculous how that is given a penalty and the one on Semedo isn’t

Why didn’t the ref look at the screen for either.

Whole thing is a farce

and 3 mins added on. Not fit to referee. Let alone the Awful linesman

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

The number of times I have heard over
and over on this board of Rui’s mistake against Newcastle - Sa makes a worse blunder in his second game and yet he’s still the second coming. This board amazes me sometimes.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spurs had the ball for 10 seconds after his pass. Thars just blame culture. Plus Alli kicked Sa, it was a definite “how to win a penalty” foul
One pass taking our whole defence out is something that better be addressed PDQ

Back
Top Bottom