Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Southgate - In or Out?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A fraud who has had very lucky draws, and main achievement is getting Middlesbrough relegated.

Easy to forget Middlesbrough were a pretty useful side then as well.

Had been in the PL over a decade. Won a League Cup. Reached the Europa Final in 2006. And I can't recall them ever really being in a relegation battle during that period.

Yet after less than 2 years of Southgate they were in the Championship.

This is quite literally the only domestic job he's had. You have to laugh.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Judge him on his performance in the major tournaments rather than jazzed up friendlies

It was rubbish today, but he deserves to take us to the WC
You mean the tournaments he bottled by playing too defensively and not having any tactical awareness.

It is clear his assistant is the one with the plans as he is ALWAYS in waistcoat ****ers ear…

Southgate is a woeful manager at club level, he failed terribly with the u21’s at tournaments and has gotten very lucky at the major tournaments.

He got to a third place play off and lost all THREE games against decent teams that tournament and relied on VAR awarded pens to score the goals. Take the pens away I think it was only one/two goals in open play.

Then he bottles the euros final against an Italy team that didn’t get to the World Cup.

The guy is a PR woke mouthpiece and little else!! I am sick of him

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
also not giving coady a cap at molineux when he was “the most important player” at the euros is a ****ing disgrace as that lad from palace and stones tonight were abysmal and coady probably would have helped stabilise that team with some leadership.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is absolutely no chance that Southgate will be replaced before the World Cup Finals. That would be absolute madness.

Tonights performance was nothing but a shambles and hopefully a massive wake up call for everyone concerned. Totally unacceptable. Pity it was at the home of our great club!

Southgate has credit in the bank from the Euro’s and the last World Cup so deserves to remain in charge.

We have some tough fixtures coming up in September against Italy and Germany. Hopefully the performances against those 2 will be a massive improvement on tonight and give us some optimism when we play in Qatar.

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pointless changing managers now, there isn't enough games left. Just stick with him but honestly maybe it'll be time for a change post World Cup.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I said it about Nuno and I’ve said it about Southgate.

We won’t win a major final under Southgate. Italy were there for the taking and he bottled it.

Just like Watford were there for the taking.

Some managers freezer when the pressure intensifies.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He won't be sacked. Probably not even after the inevitable World Cup dross occurs. But why on earth is every single person in the media incapable of seeing things for what they are?
There is a notable reluctance in the media to criticise Southgate or this current England crop. Tonight, Channel 4 were blaming a long season (as though this doesn't affect players from other big nations) and waxed lyrical about Kane's lame apologia. Have they gone from historical pant wetters, all the way through to happy clappers?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There is a notable reluctance in the media to criticise Southgate or this current England crop. Tonight, Channel 4 were blaming a long season (as though this doesn't affect players from other big nations) and waxed lyrical about Kane's lame apologia. Have they gone from historical pant wetters, all the way through to happy clappers?

I think there's a real reluctance to even remotely go at British managers. Particularly those who generally have a media perception of being 'decent blokes'

Southgate, Hodgson, Bruce, Houghton etc. Never receive criticism. The failures of their team is always down to other factors. Fatigue, ownership, budget. Never the fact they're just not very good in comparison to other managers.

Also, plenty of these pundits are a waste of time. Not willing to voice anything other than a run of the mill safe answer to get further gigs.

Metal Wolf89

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
England will never win anything until we have a manager of Pep or Jurgens standard...

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ll admit, I angry voted.

But it would still vote the same again tomorrow, because he denied Coady one of the best moments of his career.

Southgate is dead to me.
Harsh.
Surely you don’t mean that. A good coach should have no room for sentiment or emotion when he’s choosing a side or subbing one players.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Gareth will give all of the players a big hug after that and it will all work out fine.

He's said after the game we've got some Qatar workshops to do.

We're going to have the best prepared squad there. No other squad will know the social background and etiquette like we will. And we as a nation will feel the benefit of the social education that Gareth and his lovely boys can instil upon us.

While Brazil and Germany are messing about kicking footballs in preparation, we'll have our workshops to fall back on.

Gareth is one in a million. When he's finished with this England football malarkey I can see a rush for his services across the nation.

From Liverpool to Leeds, Manchester to Wolverhampton............there's not a single council that should refuse him.

Hugs all round Gareth.

Southgate for PM

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Harsh.
Surely you don’t mean that. A good coach should have no room for sentiment or emotion when he’s choosing a side or subbing one players.
Agreed

It’s not a charity match and we’ve been wanting to see a back 4 for a long time

Hence why it’s worrying he’s somehow for them playing so badly

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really like him as a bloke but he is a poor manager who is riding the wave of a couple of easy draws in major competitions. Genuinely think if we had a half decent manager we would be European champions.

Having said that, yesterday the players quite clearly just could not be *****. Too busy thinking about their flights around the world this morning no doubt.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
Shocking as the performance was i hate knee jerk reactions. It is through adversity that we learn and grow.

Which is why the West is F@@ed as it knee jerks or twerks to everything.
My wanting him gone is not knee-jerk. Have lost a lot of interest in the national team during his reign. Some of the most boring football the nation has ever played.

I blame him mainly for the farce in the euro final.

Whilst a final there and the world cup semis look good on paper; we seemed to scrape by whilst also being on the favourable side of the draw.

I don't see it happening with the WC this year, and no idea on who should come in, but for me his time is up, and hopefully after the next tournament

T

TheConcourse

I can’t understand the view of just giving him the World Cup - y’know, just because. It makes no sense to me.

These things come around every 4 years. Context:

Kane will be 32.
Sterling will be 31.
Grealish will be 30.

You get moments in time when you bring real quality groups of players through.

Why do England even need a permanent manager? Surely they can cherry-pick the best coaches in the world to manage on a short cycle. It’s not like they spend any significant amount of time with players anyway. Not enough to influence behaviours.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Voted in because there aren’t any good replacements. Everybody saying sack him, who do you replace him with? Potter would be stupid to accept any offer at his age when his stock is rising, Cooper wont take it as he’s just making waves in club management. Then we have Lampard and Gerrard…

There are hardly any options at all so stick for the World Cup and see what happens after.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is too much for an end of season friendly. It wasn't even a strong line up.
I'm sure we will get far in the World Cup, which we have never done with any other England manager with far better squads.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Three nil down and with a star studded bench available he brings on that donkey Maguire ?
People would respect him a lot more if he chose those that were in form. Maguire couldn't get in a crap United side ?

It was a friendly. 4 games in a week. At the end of a premier league season.
Maguire has got into team of the tournament in every International tournament he has played.

Back
Top Bottom