Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Some Questions

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having been away and only listening to reports of Saturday's game on 5 live and watching highlights in the evening I am a bit confused and have a few question:

1. The papers would appear to say we were totally outclassed, taught a lesson and obviously doomed, do they submit their copy without watching the game or just don't like wolves? as:
a. many on here say it was a good performance.
b Having watched the performance on Sky (highlights admiteddly) we could have lost 4-0 with two cleared off the line but we could have drawn or won as we did create more chances if the highlights are to be believed.
c. The times highlighted the performances of Upson, Noble and Green in their fantasy league, specifically mentioning Green was very busy.
d. I am sure I heard the reporter say that WHU first goal was against the run of play when they scored but then ignored this fact later on
e. The Sky summariser (Tony Gale I think) stated we could take a lot out of the game
f. Shearer stated that we would improve with Kightly and Doyle and seemed to imply that we would be alright and then said that the three relegated teams would struggle - continuity not his strong point then
2. Why do we have to get a raft of injuries at the start of the saeson, has Tony D. over done the training? Has SEB recovered properly from the hamstring he suffered at the end of last season because he looked off the pace pre-season? then he didn't get goig really until September last season.
3. Why as an International Defender is MM so poor at picking and organising a Defence as a Manager?
4. Are we stronger than last time? I think we are but then all the 'experts' talk about our lack of experience but last time we had loads of experience and shipped 9 goals in the 1st two games and didn't win for 8 games?
5. How long is it since we won an away game in the top division, 26 years?
6. Why do I so dislike the hype surrounding the Prem? Everything is hyperbole and wonder (particularly surrounding the top 4), its a bloody football match for Christ sake.
7. Will we sign the promised Premier Experience or will Mick pick something out of the bag ala Kightly?
8. What is Premier Experience? I am sure its the same game as in the other leagues, namely 11 players on each side trying to score at one end and stop the opposition scoring at the other. It's obviously quicker and more skilful but I don't actually need Premier Experience for me to know that the likes of Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool have excellent players who can rip you apart. Does Premier Experience mean an Old Has Been teling those around him how good he was or how good the opposition will be?

Just wanted to get these off my chest

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I watched the game. We weren't totally outclassed and yet the only sunday or monday rag that suggested this was the mirror. The sun gave henry 5 out of 10 when he had a very good game and each newspaper report is full of contradictions, but i'm guessing this is something we will have to get used to.
We were very fluid at times but were sloppy for the goals. The pl is played at a high intensity and the players will have to get used to this mentally and physically, as it will be extra demanding on their minds and bodies. They will get used to making judgement calls- ward, for instance, had a good game but he gambled in the second half and left us 2v2, luckily foley cleared off the line otherwise it would have been 3. These mistakes weren't punished last season but this season they certainly will be.
Every foreigner that comes to england says the same thing: the pace of the game surprised them. Some take longer than others to adapt but they adapt because they play games and get used to it. This goes for any player not who has not experienced playing in the pl, so it goes without saying a little experience goes a long way.
I don't subscribe to this view about mick not being able to organise a defence, his millwall, ireland and sunderland defences all performed as well as their abilities suggested they would if not better. It's a blind spot created by idiots that think they understand football but clearly don't. As for his signings, ward and shackell had opportunities and didn't take them, for a season stearman and certainly foley did. Shackell gave a good account of himself last time he played pl football and was a gamble that didn't pay off but who could we have signed at the time that wouldn't be a gamble, that would have cost what he cost? This summer we still haven't strengthened the defence enough but we know he tried to sign hyypia and there are probably others that we don't know about. These are the guys that ultimately do the organising not mick, because no matter how many times you coach a player if they give a guy a free header from a corner the likelihood is they'll do it again unless someone who reads the game is onto them constantly. Whatever we thought about Breen he was an excellent lieutenant and we miss a player like him. Berra has the attributes but for one reason or another hasn't shown them yet, but i don't believe it's down to mick and i do think he can come good. We are in a difficult position that most fans just don't understand, just because we convinced doyle doesn't mean we could do the same with a richard dunne or sylvain distin, so we shouldn't expect it or question the manager or board when it doesn't happen.
The first season up for all teams is a lottery. You can't convince hungry top level performers to join relegation certainties so you have to take some chances on foreigners and misfits. If you stay up then great, if you don't it doesn't mean you've got a terrible manager.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The sun gave henry 5 out of 10 when he had a very good game and each newspaper report is full of contradictions, but i'm guessing this is something we will have to get used to.

For ratings you can't normally go wrong with The Times....they seem as if they actually watch the game and not just pluck figures from the air like some of the other tabloids.
They don't go mad on giving silly scores to players, but generally give the best players the best marks. Anybody who just has a decent "average" game gets a 5, which is spot on.

They had Foley 6, Henry 7, Halford 6, Milijas 8, Jarvis 6, Keogh 6. The rest were 5.

West Ham were Green 8, Upson 8, Noble 7, Parker 6, Collison 6, Jimenez 6, Cole 7. The rest were 5.

Can't fault that at all....

N

N. Herts Wolf

From listening and then watching the extended highlights on Football First:-
If both teams had taken all their good chances (which, of course, never happens) we would have lost 5-4.
We were well in charge for extended periods, and not just after they scored so it wasn't a case of them sitting back when in front.
Commentator's comments included "West Ham are under siege again, [...] Robert Green's kept them in the game" although they also included "The Wolves goal is under siege [...] that's the second goalline clearance [... and ...] That's 2 - 0, Stewerton's going to love this (;))"

Overall, if the game had finished 1-1, I don't think West Ham would have had anything to moan about.

I was pleasantly surprised by the amount of chances we made, the quality of our passing and movement and the performances of Ward, Keogh and especially Milijas who, if he carries on like that, is going to be a new Wolves hero.

I was gutted to see SEB & Foley get knocks and we now have a massive problem until Doyle is fit. For me, I think this is the time to give Vokes a go. He's got a few caps/goals under his belt at international level and, if he's good enough, he's old enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
5. How long is it since we won an away game in the top division, 26 years?

January 1984. Anfield. Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolves.

That's actually 29 away matches in the top division without a win from that game until today. (Tonight = 30 games if we lose)

I think.

N

N. Herts Wolf

We're due one then!
I've got a funny feeling we might sneak it tonight. I think we have the spirit to meet with adversity and rise to the challenge.
Vokes 92nd minute winner from a pinpoint Milijas corner.

Come on me babbies.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I read one report in partic that had us outclassed and talked about Mick as Sunderland manager for at least 25% of the column, reporter was so obviously not at the game.

Also watched the Sky Sports Football First and the commentators completely missed SEB going off and the fact that we played out the game with 10 men.

D

dr cool

$$$$ em all, we need to dig deep , ignore the journos and london press and just get on with getting the job done, roll on tonight i cant wait.

drc

Ulver

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The only conclusion is to watch it with your own eyes if you can and form your own conclusions. Who gives a $$$$ what these waste of space, sycophantic, parasitic journos think.

Netherton Wolf

Reaction score
Paul Merson was watching the game live on Sky on Saturday, and he was saying how well Wolves were playing and could easily have been2 up in the first 30 mins!

C

chillindan

We're due one then!
I've got a funny feeling we might sneak it tonight. I think we have the spirit to meet with adversity and rise to the challenge.
Vokes 92nd minute winner from a pinpoint Milijas corner.

Come on me babbies.

Close, but I reckon it will be a Vokes header from a Halford throw in myself...

tiggerkev

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
One Sunday rag said about the mass af Gold and Black balloons that were present before the game. Probably guessing what it should have been not that actually was. Same for the game

Sozzled Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Having been away and only listening to reports of Saturday's game on 5 live and watching highlights in the evening I am a bit confused and have a few question:

1. The papers would appear to say we were totally outclassed, taught a lesson and obviously doomed, do they submit their copy without watching the game or just don't like wolves? as:
a. many on here say it was a good performance. It was. Just a lack of composure in the final thirds cost us.
b Having watched the performance on Sky (highlights admiteddly) we could have lost 4-0 with two cleared off the line but we could have drawn or won as we did create more chances if the highlights are to be believed. I actually thought we had more chances overall, but the clearer ones belonged to WHU.
c. The times highlighted the performances of Upson, Noble and Green in their fantasy league, specifically mentioning Green was very busy.Green's consistently been the 'keeper of the day' in most of the rags. Says it all.
d. I am sure I heard the reporter say that WHU first goal was against the run of play when they scored but then ignored this fact later on Again, it was. Came shortly after a good 10-minute spell in which we had a couple of chances, notably Keogh and SEB.
e. The Sky summariser (Tony Gale I think) stated we could take a lot out of the game. We could. With a fully-fit squad I really think we'd be fine.
f. Shearer stated that we would improve with Kightly and Doyle and seemed to imply that we would be alright and then said that the three relegated teams would struggle - continuity not his strong point then Nope. He agreed to manage Newcastle for a while so that says enough about his instincts & knowledge.
2. Why do we have to get a raft of injuries at the start of the saeson, has Tony D. over done the training? Has SEB recovered properly from the hamstring he suffered at the end of last season because he looked off the pace pre-season? then he didn't get goig really until September last season. Ask Toon Wolf about this. He's our resident fitness expert. I'm sure he did express some concerns in pre-season re. the way they started early & intensively.
3. Why as an International Defender is MM so poor at picking and organising a Defence as a Manager? Let's not lie; he's certainly bought a few duds. That said, he's acknowledged their failings so it's not as if he's oblivious to them. He knows what needs to be done, I'm sure of that.
4. Are we stronger than last time? I think we are but then all the 'experts' talk about our lack of experience but last time we had loads of experience and shipped 9 goals in the 1st two games and didn't win for 8 games? 100% yes - we are stronger than last time, and in most positions on the field. What we lack in experience we gain in endeavour, courage and pace. Often the case that younger players are less fearful.
5. How long is it since we won an away game in the top division, 26 years? 1984 I think, away to Liverpool.
6. Why do I so dislike the hype surrounding the Prem? Everything is hyperbole and wonder (particularly surrounding the top 4), its a bloody football match for Christ sake. You're not alone. The treasures on offer distance players from fans.
7. Will we sign the promised Premier Experience or will Mick pick something out of the bag ala Kightly? I think the signings thus far are an obvious enough hint that we're not steering away from our young & hungry policy. That said, we did at least try the experienced path but found these players to be inaccessible.
8. What is Premier Experience? I am sure its the same game as in the other leagues, namely 11 players on each side trying to score at one end and stop the opposition scoring at the other. It's obviously quicker and more skilful but I don't actually need Premier Experience for me to know that the likes of Arsenal, Man U, Chelsea and Liverpool have excellent players who can rip you apart. Does Premier Experience mean an Old Has Been teling those around him how good he was or how good the opposition will be? Anyone who's played games in the Prem has experience. Simple as. Doesn't matter how old or young they are. The more games they've played the more experienced they are.

Just wanted to get these off my chest

My answers above, BW.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks, I think giving the papers a miss might be the moral of this argument. I think our first away in 30 might come at Man City, just for the irony and the fact that all the press and journos will be bigging up Man City's 1st home league game of the season.

Sozzled Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks, I think giving the papers a miss might be the moral of this argument. I think our first away in 30 might come at Man City, just for the irony and the fact that all the press and journos will be bigging up Man City's 1st home league game of the season.

If that happens I'll laugh my phallus off.

ProudWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

London Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As individuals wolves do not have the quality but if we fight & play as a team - you never know!

Like a team that's gonna stay in the Premier League.......

:) :) WE SHALL NOT BE MOVED! :) :)

Back
Top Bottom