Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Small time Jeff strikes again.....

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The situation from today strikes me as very similar to the one at the start of last season. Cashed in on
Jota, and never really replaced him, condemning the club to an undermanned and somewhat demoralised
squad, which got found out pretty quickly.

This is worse in my view, because of the abymsal timing, right on the cusp of a big game tomorrow, (it appears
Shi couldnt even wait the weekend out), and on the edge of Wolves' best chance of a top 4 finish in fifty years.
Yes 50 years.

Its close to impossible to understand how such a move could be sanctioned. The players wanted Adama to stay, as
did the coach, knowing his importance to the team.

Not only has Shi acted irrationally in terms of the club's interests, he has also acted directly against the express wishes
of the manager and players.

Not how you build a happy organisation.

The alternative was to retain the player, and move him on in the summer when the trainer had time to develop
a replacement, and everyone's happy.

Shockingly stupid.

Summer_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to judge this transfer ultimately on whether we bring in a midfielder in the next week or so, pure and simple. If we let Traore go and do no business then it's a total shambles and Bruno will be rightly annoyed. If, however, we let Adama go and bring in a position that we need then fine. Over to you Jeff, get on with it... Selling a player and getting no one in won't wash. We're getting money in, no excuses and nowhere to hide.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The situation from today strikes me as very similar to the one at the start of last season. Cashed in on
Jota, and never really replaced him, condemning the club to an undermanned and somewhat demoralised

This is worse in my view, because of the abymsal timing, right on the cusp of a big game tomorrow, (it appears
Shi couldnt even wait the weekend out), and on the edge of Wolves' best chance of a top 4 finish in fifty years.
Yes 50 years.

Its close to impossible to understand how such a move could be sanctioned. The players wanted Adama to stay, as

Not only has Shi acted irrationally in terms of the club's interests, he has also acted directly against the express wishes

The alternative was to retain the player, and move him on in the summer when the trainer had time to develop

Shockingly stupid.
There are some surprising claims made.

"somewhat demoralised" squad... evidence?
"Its close to impossible to understand how such a move could be sanctioned. The players wanted Adama to stay, as
did the coach"... if Bruno is that keen on Adama, why does he rarely start him?
"Shi acted irrationally"? With Adama's contract running down, his refusal to sign a new one and only one suitor for him by all accounts?
"the express wishes of the manager" (he's a head coach by the way)? Evidence?
"Not how you build a happy organisation" - evidence? All I have seen is a group of players who seem highly motivated and supportive of each other.
"The alternative was to retain the player, and move him on in the summer" - yes, that is a possibility but how do you know he would have the interest of Spurs/any club, or indeed be saleable at the suggested current price of £20m minimum?

Jawwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I don't think we can blame Jeff for this coming out.... ultimately Traore hasn't signed a contract the club and is refusing to do so from reports today, we can't have an unhappy player hanging around the squad regardless of the offer accepted or not Traore will be aware and will have already had some contact with tottenham. The news has come from journalists not the press.

It has been reported that it is a sell to buy window, now we have sold someone the ball is in Jeff and Fosuns Court to strengthen,I'll see how they do in the next 10 days before criticising them.

purplepault69

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes I agree it will terrible to hear Adama screaming and shouting that he doesnt want to leave the club , the nail marks down the walls will be there for ever as testament how the club just cast players aside as though some weird game just played by Jeff Shi.
I really that a mirror might prove useful when looking for the Shockingly Stupid :rolleyes:

Hinckley Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score

Yes 50 years.

Shockingly stupid.
This is a bit of an overreaction. I wouldn’t say that a player who has 8 league goals in 122 appearances was going to fire us into the top 4.

He’ll be worth less in the summer and £20-22M is a good return for a player, who doesn’t want to stay and has a goal and assist return on par with what it was at ‘Boro.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose I have the opposite view. Jeff is doing a very decent job of putting aside short term demands and building us up over a number of seasons by bringing in young, long term signings and developing youngsters so that we have a sustained period of success. There are clearly constraints, and maybe those weren't anticipated at the beginning but he is going about it in a calm, systematic and reasonably sensible way. I expect that we will rarely compete for established players which cost big money and will always need to balance the books, but just by taking a long term view, having good people and good advice on hand and providing a stable environment we might well still compete on the pitch at a high level. Thatr would be in FOSUNs best interests and the inetrests of Jeff's own career as far as I can see.

Milijas

Reaction score

Yes 50 years.

Shockingly stupid
Jota was replaced by Neto who unfortunately has been injured. We have since signed Hwang who also unfortunately been injured of late. Hardly Jeff's fault.

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Carpe diem.

Its a concept that applies very closely to progress in building a football club.

Not all moments are the same. Any openings for a club like Wolves will come from
keeping a group of players together and inevitably will not last for long, given the
financial structures of the elite.

Right now is one of those key moments when a genuine chance exists to make a
breakthrough in both league and cup.

To suddenly think about the longterm, and lose a very good player for just over 3 months,
is a failure of leadership in my view, a very serious failure.

I suspect that's how it is seen by the squad and manager too.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just come on and seen this. Not sure this needs another thread as WolvesJoe's views have been echoed on here for weeks as have the opposite views. Not sure how he knows the views of players? Traore has always been Marmite, you either love him or hate him. Thinking on this move I don't think him going will affect us adversely, at least I hope not. I'm not too thrilled at the price and not too happy he's going to a direct rival in our chase for Europe. How we move on following this move is surrounded by 'ifs'. If we get a decent replacement, if Neto can get back soon and if he is any good after his injury, if both Podence and Hwang can stay injury free, if Jimenez can get his form back, if Chiquinho can play a part in our season. Jeff is taking a gamble by selling a major part of our attacking armoury but we still have a range of attacking options, even without a signing. I'm putting my faith in this gamble paying off and we use the money wisely, ideally now, not in the summer and that our forwards can get back fit and healthy and stay injury free. We're 8th now and in a very strong position, if we do not capitalise on this situation I think many fans will see Traore going as the catalyst for missing out.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Had to start a thread to announce your ridiculous opinion, the transfer window thread wasn’t enough?
You caught more of the doom-mongers for likes on the other one, should have left it at that.
On the strength of this, can’t see I’ll be missing out on any future reasoned debate with ignore, so…

WV10Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To suddenly think about the longterm, and lose a very good player for just over 3 months,
is a failure of leadership in my view, a very serious failure.

We’ve got a player we’ve been trying to give a new contract to last since last season. He doesn’t want to sign the contract. He wants to leave the club. We get £20 million for him now or £10 million in the summer.

We’ve got Neto coming back, Podence who has played himself into form, this new lad from Estoril, as well as Trincao on loan and Hwang on loan that’s coming back from injury. That’s 5 players for 2 positions. We have options on Trincao and Hwang. We’re well stocked for wingers going forwards.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In my view £20 million for a player thats often on the bench is decent business especially when said player allegedly wont sign a new contract, yes I take on board that on his day he is unplayable but how often are those days ?, they have been few and far between over the past 18 months or so, so much so that his value has dropped from £40/50 million to whatever we can get for him today, I will be glad when the Adama saga is over whichever way it ends up, yes I would have been happier if we could have got £25 million for him but if there is no other interest then its what it is. Yes its up to Jeff & co how we spend the money and I will be watching with interest how this window goes but I wouldnt be surprised if we didnt make another addition at this moment in time however Bruno needs to be backed during the summer if not now, he has earned the Clubs support and its the least he deserves.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
So many opinions and assumptions. We already had a replacement for jota in neto. Jotas head was turned and we got a good fee for him. You really think we could convince him to stay when liverpool come knocking. Double his wages, sure, then he is on more than the rest of the squad, so they all want a pay rise, and all of a sudden you spend all your money on wages and nothing left for any new signings at all.

This model is the only way we can have any hopes of competing. Keep all our best players, we have nothing to spend in the transfer windows cause all our turnover is spent on wages. We always knew we would try to sell 1 to 2 of our best players each season, with those funds recycled into buying the next up and coming potential star.

How do you know what the players are thinking and wanting. For all you know they may be glad to see the back of him. Soundbites in the press are rarely what is reality.

Jeff shi can be accused of many things, but irrational isnt one of them.

Move him on in the summer, when we would get 10m, and then it would feel even more painful, and people would compare his sale price to the likes of Hugil et al.

Chance of top 4- id love it if we got anywhere near but the reality is 6th is likely our best position, even if we kept adama. It needs all 4 of west ham, man utd, spurs and arsenal to really **** up to get that 4th position.

The questions really should be,

Has traore been used incorrectly during his time at wolves? He has been tried as a striker, a winger an inside forward on the left and right, a wingback, yet his goal contributions are so low

Should we offer him top wages to keep him? No, his outputs are not enough to be our top earner

Should we try and get more money for him? Of course, but if theres no demand, and you have to ask the question why there isnt a queue of teams trying to sign him, then

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Based on what???? Do you know any players/staff? As I've pointed out on the other thread you went bleating on, players move, it's part of the business. This isn't going to destroy moral, we're not forcing him out, he wants to go. If he didn't he'd have signed a new contract by now!

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm going to judge this transfer ultimately on whether we bring in a midfielder in the next week or so, pure and simple. If we let Traore go and do no business then it's a total shambles and Bruno will be rightly annoyed. If, however, we let Adama go and bring in a position that we need then fine. Over to you Jeff, get on with it... Selling a player and getting no one in won't wash. We're getting money in, no excuses and nowhere to hide.

Same here. I hope this sale means we can progress a key signing or two before Feb.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry WolvesJoe I don't agree it's so black and white as you think.

And I am 1000% certain that Jeff has never made an irrationally decision in his life.

He may be wrong or right about this, but given the complex web of facts available to him the decision will be logical.

Part of that decision making process will be what they plan to do with the money - and be prapared to have to wait for the summer to really understand the plans.

Jeff may well have made a mistake selling, that largely depends on how Adama does for Spurs and how we use the money - but I really don't believe this is some sort of knee jerk brain dead decision.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes 50 years.

Shockingly stupid.
Why don’t you stop flapping, see what actually happens and reserve judgment until the end of the window.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't get this drive to spend the money in this window - why are people saying this deal is bad if we don't spend the money next week?

If we had waited his price was going down and we have his wages - any potential targets may be either available in the summer or cheaper.

If we get the right deal next week then fine, but I think people need to think of the bigger picture.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes 50 years.

Shockingly stupid.
There’s *******s, there’s drunken *******s, then there’s this.

This makes my ‘we’re going down’ thread seem well thought out and considered.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes 50 years.

Shockingly stupid.
Crickey, there’s so much wrong, unreasonable, and inaccurate with this post and thread title.

MotorWoden

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any openings for a club like Wolves will come from
keeping a group of players together and inevitably will not last for long, given the
financial structures of the elite.

Again, I disagree about this bit. Departures are inevitable, success will come fom fostering a pipeline of new talent and the right environment, attitude and atmosphere in the dressing room so that as players move on they are mostly replaced from within giving us stability and continuity.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama will be on the bench tomorrow....he has travelled with the team.....so it's all bit jumping the gun isn't it....

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw the title of this thread and was worried we'd agreed a price for Ruben.

Traore is out of contract soon and has not done enough to be a regular starter. Of course we'll sell. What else would we do?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom