Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Sir Bobby Charlton - Dementia

W

WasStefan

Diagnoses confirmed by his wife. Can 2020 get any worse?

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Christ. Horrible illness & have first hand knowledge with my grandad having it before passing away.

Horrible, absolutely horrible. My thoughts go out to his family.

W

WasStefan

Christ. Horrible illness & have first hand knowledge with my grandad having it before passing away.

Same with my gran. Truly horrible illness, made even worse during a pandemic when you can’t see such relatives. But that’s another debate/ argument.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't his brother also have it as well as Nobby?

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

Didn't his brother also have it as well as Nobby?
Jack had Alzheimer’s. Many of the team had dementia. . Cohen now raises money for dementia, which has affected some of his former team-mates, which some attribute to the impact of heading the then far heavier ball

Willie Stewart, Consultant Neuropathologist at Glasgow Uni, said that in a 44-man squad there is a chance of one being diagnosed with dementia.

The 1966 England team has now had five diagnosed with it or memory loss: Peters; Stiles; Wilson; J. Charlton and Sir Bobby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Sad news again .From first hand experience with mom it is a dreadful thing to suffer with

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Sad news, horrible illness. x

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep, my Dad's got it and needs 24 /7 care. He's basically lost his memory and suffers from strange delusions. But he is 95. The rate of dementia among ex-players seems unusually high and they are getting it at a younger age. Jeff Astle was only in his 60s.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bobby was a truly great player. Very sad.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

My old man too.... Hit him in his late 70s. His last three or four years were awful. He played football to a decent level (Bridgenorth Town) back in the 50s....

Last edited:

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Jeff Stelling said yesterday that Chris Chilton the former Hull City centre forward is suffering from dementia and requires 24/7 care .
I am sure there will be many more .

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Sad news to hear. Good luck & best wishes to him & family.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jeff Stelling said yesterday that Chris Chilton the former Hull City centre forward is suffering from dementia and requires 24/7 care .
I am sure there will be many more .

I didn't realise that ex-Villa Capt and Walsall boss Chris Nicholl has had it for a few years, now lives in Walsall with assistance.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I didn't realise that ex-Villa Capt and Walsall boss Chris Nicholl has had it for a few years, now lives in Walsall with assistance.
Yes I remember David Kelly mentioned it on WM a while back .Sad

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a wonderful, truly wonderful football player Sir Bobby was and what a wonderful gentleman he is as well. Graceful when he had the ball and scored great goals. One of my favourite ever players.

Am I correct in saying that he was never booked or sent off. Sure I have read that somewhere.

Dementia is a terrible illness and I truly wish this wonderful man and his family all the very best.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a wonderful, truly wonderful football player Sir Bobby was and what a wonderful gentleman he is as well. Graceful when he had the ball and scored great goals. One of my favourite ever players.

Am I correct in saying that he was never booked or sent off. Sure I have read that somewhere.

Dementia is a terrible illness and I truly wish this wonderful man and his family all the very best.
internet says twice booked.v.argentina and chelsea.one report says one was taken off probably chelsea.
terrible illness for all the family

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Gerd Muller approaching end of life with it too.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Re: never booked and never sent off -- I think that was Billy Wright

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Re: never booked and never sent off -- I think that was Billy Wright
Thanks BSK.

I know Billy was never booked or sent off.

Maybe I should have ‘Bobby was hardly ever booked or sent off’ which is very true.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have family experience of this horrible thing too.
As regards Bobby Charlton just heard a neurologist on the radio saying people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that heading a football was the cause. He said if Charlton was heading a football into his 30's any brain injury would have occurred many years earlier. As everybody who remembers him too Charlton hardly ever headed the ball.
I doubt if being a footballer made any difference.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have family experience of this horrible thing too.
As regards Bobby Charlton just heard a neurologist on the radio saying people shouldn't jump to the conclusion that heading a football was the cause. He said if Charlton was heading a football into his 30's any brain injury would have occurred many years earlier. As everybody who remembers him too Charlton hardly ever headed the ball.
I doubt if being a footballer made any difference.
'Hardly ever headed the ball?' Too much of a sweeping statement. He didn't score that many with his head, it's true, though he did score with a header in the European Cup Final in 1968! Any professional footballer who had a career as long as his will have headed the ball countless times in games and in training.

Back
Top Bottom