Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Silva loan

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Just out of interest, are the majority in agreement that a loan move was correct? In my mind it's an absolute no brainer (assuming, of course, we don't go into the season with just one striker - a dangerous assumption perhaps)!
Absolutely the right decision. He needs a season where he’s not got the same spotlight on him, where he can just go and learn to love football and love scoring goals. You can tell how much he wanted to do well in a Wolves shirt but the price tag was heavy round his neck (not his fault).

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Absolutely the right decision. He needs a season where he’s not got the same spotlight on him, where he can just go and learn to love football and love scoring goals. You can tell how much he wanted to do well in a Wolves shirt but the price tag was heavy round his neck (not his fault).
I would say, from watching him play for the Portuguese U21s, that he loves playing football and scoring goals ok.

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Given the constant knocking by some so-called fans (of which you have emphatically been one), and the sketchy way he was at times scapegoated by the head coach last season, who could blame him? He will, just like MGW this summer, need to be convinced that his future lies at Molineux. He isn't, unlike MGW, a local lad either.
Yep he's flattered to deceive here when given chances. I'm holding my opinion on that.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yep he's flattered to deceive here when given chances. I'm holding my opinion on that.
He scored a few in his first season despite clearly not being ready then he failed to score last season in a team that couldn't score, but he was almost always one of our best players.

Not sure that's he flattered to deceive, I think it more showed we had goalscoring issues whoever was playing and he was still too young to lead the line.

He has two weaknesses to his game, one of which ought to be easy to fix and the other is improving:
- he doesn't anticipate balls across the box and stands too far back (as did Raul last season)
- heading

A season away will do him the world of good but I honestly would have been good with him starting had we changed the way we play.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Im surprised we let him go for the season tbh
He was definitely much better last season,added some bulk which he needed to
He obviously isnt the finished article but will sending him to an easier league help?
Im not so sure
Yes its good to get some serious game time, and scoring a few will help the confidence im sure,but will it help in the Prem?
The pace and quality is so much higher than virtually any other league, im not sure loans help as much as they used to
I may be wrong, and often are, but i think he could have done a job for us this year

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I a
Im surprised we let him go for the season tbh
He was definitely much better last season,added some bulk which he needed to
He obviously isnt the finished article but will sending him to an easier league help?
Im not so sure
Yes its good to get some serious game time, and scoring a few will help the confidence im sure,but will it help in the Prem?
The pace and quality is so much higher than virtually any other league, im not sure loans help as much as they used to
I may be wrong, and often are, but i think he could have done a job for us this year
I am hoping there is a break clause where if needed/he is smashing it we can bring him home to give us goals.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looks like hes gained another yard of pace, and watching him actually front up players which he couldnt do two years ago is positive.

Honestly , hope we have a recall for Jan. If he flies this first half of the season, just like we suggested MGW come back.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Looking at our options now I wish he was here with us playing a more attacking style. A dreadful decision to let him go with only Raul here unless there is an imminent and good arrival. If not then serious questions should rightly be asked.

Cause and effect might be going the other way. We did play a more attacking style at times. We couldn't score goals and gave points away. If Fabio (and Traore and Trincao etc.. ) had taken his chances, we could have played more attacking more often. It's folly to throw people forward in attack when you are limited in players who can actually score. I know by end of season, our XG wasnt far off our Actual, but at the start, it was way ahead. Our chances created was , at the start , among the highest in the league.

Anyway, the point is that Future Fabio, the one a few seasons from now, may well have been able to have scored in those games. The 19 year old Fabio last season couldn't.

For comparison, Anderlecht have had 2 similarly aged, young hopeful strikers on loan in each of the past 2 seasons. Each did very well, so give a kind of benchmark. Last season, Joshua Zirkzee (on loan from Bayern) scored 16 in the league for Anderlecht. The season before Lukas Nmecha (from Man City at the time) scored 18. So that's the kind of standard Fabio should be aiming at. Last season, Nmecha was sold to Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga and scored 8, so that gives an idea of the gap between the Belgian league and the Bundesliga.

I wouldn't raise expectations that if Fabio scores 18 for one of the biggest clubs in the Belgian league, he would be able to get anywhere near that in the Premier League. He's in the right place and we could still do with another. more experienced, backup striker.

Irish_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He does look more athletic and not running on sand, maybe this loan will be the making of him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
im sorry but thats a cracking goal, watching him run at defenders cut onto his shot and blast it, raul does that against leeds and we are screaming

It's a brilliant finish. But "defenders"? Where? :D I've seen cones that are harder to get past than that Oostende defender.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a brilliant finish. But "defenders"? Where? :D I've seen cones that are harder to get past than that Oostende defender.
Don't think it's *that* bad defending, it's a hell of a strike from Fabio and a bit unexpected from the angle.

Looks so calm and considered as well, great stuff considering he'd just missed a sitter. Well done boy.

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loathe this idea that he was always slow and is now gaining pace.

He's always been relatively quick, but people were so eager to jump on him because during a warm he ran alongside Adama Traore.
Watch his highlights from his first season he was only 17/18, hes definitely sharper now. He was never coady slow, but he wasnt going to beat a man, he really does look from this year and his movement in those anderlecht highlights, quicker and stronger.

Just my opinion

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could say the same about the opposition we have played in pre-season in the games we have won - hasnt stopped people jizzing over the “new attacking style”

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watch his highlights from his first season he was only 17/18, hes definitely sharper now. He was never coady slow, but he wasnt going to beat a man, he really does look from this year and his movement in those anderlecht highlights, quicker and stronger.

Just my opinion
In his first season he was still a boy. Now he's matured and is a full grown man. Just as many of us said then would happen he's stronger and more physically powerful now.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You could say the same about the opposition we have played in pre-season in the games we have won - hasnt stopped people jizzing over the “new attacking style”

Yes, you could. Looks very similar to how we played in pre-season and opening matches last season. Apart from we now have Neto back, so are scoring more and Collins is an improvement defensively so we are not getting cut apart so easily. Take those 2 out, and I doubt it would be that different at all. Mind you, those Levante players were hardle traffic cones!

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Cause and effect might be going the other way. We did play a more attacking style at times. We couldn't score goals and gave points away. If Fabio (and Traore and Trincao etc.. ) had taken his chances, we could have played more attacking more often. It's folly to throw people forward in attack when you are limited in players who can actually score. I know by end of season, our XG wasnt far off our Actual, but at the start, it was way ahead. Our chances created was , at the start , among the highest in the league.

Anyway, the point is that Future Fabio, the one a few seasons from now, may well have been able to have scored in those games. The 19 year old Fabio last season couldn't.

For comparison, Anderlecht have had 2 similarly aged, young hopeful strikers on loan in each of the past 2 seasons. Each did very well, so give a kind of benchmark. Last season, Joshua Zirkzee (on loan from Bayern) scored 16 in the league for Anderlecht. The season before Lukas Nmecha (from Man City at the time) scored 18. So that's the kind of standard Fabio should be aiming at. Last season, Nmecha was sold to Wolfsburg in the Bundesliga and scored 8, so that gives an idea of the gap between the Belgian league and the Bundesliga.

I wouldn't raise expectations that if Fabio scores 18 for one of the biggest clubs in the Belgian league, he would be able to get anywhere near that in the Premier League. He's in the right place and we could still do with another. more experienced, backup striker.

Nmecha was 22, turning 23 in the season he had at Anderlecht, and his return of better than 1 in 3 at Wolfsburg isn't bad at all in a bottom half side. Fabio was 19 less than a week ago, and will be a miles better player than Nmecha. Zirkzee is probably a better comparison, but we don't know how good he can be - could be a top player yet.

thommo1984

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not to go overboard but just as a comparison it's a very Harry Kane-esque goal. The movement, power of strike, positioning, technique etc.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

TY. Not a bad little cameo appearance although the defending is utterly woeful.

Incidentally if Fabio was well settled in Wolvo he should feel well at home at Anderlecht which is in a slightly gritty working class area of Brussels which l know fairly well (work!).
I've been there a fair few times for work as well and I like it. Got character and something about it (and astonishingly, dangerously good beer which hope he doesn't get too familiar with).

Back
Top Bottom