Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Silva loan

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a completely different dynamic playing for Anderlecht than for us. They are the big club, playing on the front foot against inferior opponents in nearly all matches. He's going to get chances offered to him, where for us, you have to make them out of next to nothing. As well as having little support , because we have to be wary of breaks and so on. Here, they often have 4 or 5 in the box in open play. It's like playing for current Leicester , but put in the Championship.

Will be interesting to see how he does against the 1 or 2 other decent sides in this league - Club Brugge and ... er.. is there another?
Sums it up nicely. Silva was shackled by the way we played, which is why none of our forward players have been anywhere near prolific over the last couple of seasons in particular.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes- just noticed Royale Union SG are the team who beat Rangers 2-0. Second leg later today. Hadn't heard of them till then, though.
Not surprised you hadn't heard of them. From the mid-60s to the mid 2010's they were knocking around in the lower reaches of Belgian football.

we love jez moxey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loaning Fabio was a long overdue excellent decision.

Not bringing in a striker is a long overdue poor decision.

The two shouldn't be conflated
I think it's far from excellent to be honest.
The one game where we played with this system, (Sheffield United in the cup) Silva thrived from it and played his best game for us.
Switching permanently, then loaning him out really does baffle me.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sums it up nicely. Silva was shackled by the way we played, which is why none of our forward players have been anywhere near prolific over the last couple of seasons in particular.

I'm still not 100% convinced on exactly how much our forwards are "shackled" and how much is that other than Raul, none of them have ever been goal scorers. Hwang scored none in the Bundesliga. Podence scoring 6 a season in the Greek league was his best. Traore can't be shackled, yet still hardly scores.

Either they are shackled everywhere...or it's that our forwards are not direct enough. They can do the tricks, but are largely ineffective. To much icing, no cake. Too inconsistent too. When we play the same formation and team, week after week, and one week Podence is brilliant and the next, invisible, it's got to be him, not "the way we play". And we have a whole forward line who go from brilliant to invisible. Too similar, in their own ways, all inconsistent enigmas! Then we have Dendonker, top of our XG league already. Arrives in great positions, yet finishing so bad, he should be getting 5 goals more a season.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm still not 100% convinced on exactly how much our forwards are "shackled" and how much is that other than Raul, none of them have ever been goal scorers. Hwang scored none in the Bundesliga. Podence scoring 6 a season in the Greek league was his best. Traore can't be shackled, yet still hardly scores.

Either they are shackled everywhere...or it's that our forwards are not direct enough. They can do the tricks, but are largely ineffective. To much icing, no cake. Too inconsistent too. When we play the same formation and team, week after week, and one week Podence is brilliant and the next, invisible, it's got to be him, not "the way we play". And we have a whole forward line who go from brilliant to invisible. Too similar, in their own ways, all inconsistent enigmas! Then we have Dendonker, top of our XG league already. Arrives in great positions, yet finishing so bad, he should be getting 5 goals more a season.
Our system mostly relied on near 100% execution because we rarely had more than two players for the first ball in the opposition penalty box from open play. Winning second balls in this area was mostly luck. There always seemed to be a gulf between midfield an attack. So no matter who would had up front opportunities were limited.

Having said that, Bruno acknowledged there weren’t many goal scorers in our team. Leeds proved that point yet again.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loaning Fabio was a long overdue excellent decision.

Not bringing in a striker is a long overdue poor decision.

The two shouldn't be conflated

Excellent post, Hogan.

No, not the point about our strikers, but the use of the word 'conflated'. Surely a first for MolMix!
I have milk with my conflates.

Arrrgh, the heat.....

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anderlecht 0-0

Fabio comes on 58th minute, scores 3 minutes later, assists 10 minutes after and then helps work a 3rd.

Anderlecht 3-0

He should have been loaned out last season, he is needed here now.

Bob Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Seems odd that a player who has scored 4 in 5 is still starting on the bench.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anderlecht 0-0

Fabio comes on 58th minute, scores 3 minutes later, assists 10 minutes after and then helps work a 3rd.

Anderlecht 3-0

He should have been loaned out last season, he is needed here now.
Ain’t that the truth.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The club cant do right for doing wrong according to some of you guys, If we had kept him here and he had struggled you would have said should have loaned him out, because he HAS been loaned out and is doing well we should not have loaned our best ? striker out. Two things we can agree on is that Fabio needs game time and the second is that the club should have brought someone in to replace Fabio... The main thing for now is Fabio is getting better game by game and scoring goals but at times we can see he is still not the finished product, but boy he knows where the net is and is good if not yet lethal in and around the penalty area, may I say the best is still to come, carry on Fabio my baby..

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hes needed this for a while, get his confidence up we will reap the rewards next year.
After struggling all year to score goals likely. The kid has the talent clearly, our pathetic attempts at football last season just did him no service.

I’m sure Bruno just punted out on loan to see how others would be best to play him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Context, though, isn't it? What level are the opponents? Semi-Pro? Conference North?

More important he does well in the Belgian League, and the matches against the 3 or 4 other top clubs will tell us most about how he's progressing.

Reaction score
Disappointing to see him doing well when you fear we’ll be short of clinical finishers this year, but obviously hopefully bodes well for the future here. I’m wary of the MGW effect, seeming to feel unwanted after a loan, but hopefully he’s happy to come back to the Prem next year and with Raul another year older likely be in strong contention of getting plenty of game time

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing to see him doing well when you fear we’ll be short of clinical finishers this year, but obviously hopefully bodes well for the future here. I’m wary of the MGW effect, seeming to feel unwanted after a loan, but hopefully he’s happy to come back to the Prem next year and with Raul another year older likely be in strong contention of getting plenty of game time

Surely, if anything the MGW effect tells us that success at a lower level does not directly translate into the same in the Premier League? And the Championship is a tougher league than the Belgian League - and both of them light years ahead of the team who finished 4th in Estonia.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Decent manager playing the right kind of football knows how to play him. Bruno however just scratches his chin and punts him out on loan. Therein lies the difference, I hope I’m proved wrong.

Flaneur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Context, though, isn't it? What level are the opponents? Semi-Pro? Conference North?

More important he does well in the Belgian League, and the matches against the 3 or 4 other top clubs will tell us most about how he's progressing.
Context, he’s still only just turned 20. Most strikers that are considered some of Europe’s best right now were playing at an even lower level, and not even scoring, when they were his age.

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Disappointing to see him doing well?

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How does MGW tell us that? We don't know whether its worked or not

Well, yes. Though if he gets half the goals he got in the Championship, it will be a good season for him. And there's many who don't want MGW back, because of the gap between the leagues. Yet the gap between the Belgian League is far bigger. If anybody rejects MGW "because he can do it in the Champs but not the PL while clamouring for Fabio to come back , then they have had a fundamental logic bypass.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Context, he’s still only just turned 20. Most strikers that are considered some of Europe’s best right now were playing at an even lower level, and not even scoring, when they were his age.

I'm pleased for him. Just pointing out that he isn't the answer to our scoring problems right now. Though if he carries on at this rate, maybe could be ready next season? Though as you say, he's only just 20, why hurry him back? That's what development is all about. Going up through the leagues, not being dumped in the deep end.

Back
Top Bottom