Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Silva loan

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Noooooo
Should have sent him out last year imo. Best place for him now. He looks like a beast now. I feel we may have collectively written him off too soon!
I never wrote him off. Given he got man of the match against villa I don't think that many people have. Should have played him more often when Jimi was struggling. Think he would have put a better performance than Raul did against Bournemouth for example.

Last edited:

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's scoring goals in the Belgian League (13th ranked club competition) and the 3rd tier of European competition. This is great experience for him, but stop getting carried away, he needs this.
And we need a striker. He's better than what we have there. We should never have let him out until we had a replacement who was fit.
Out of interest where is Brazil in the rankings of club competitions?

Skrilla

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we need a striker. He's better than what we have there. We should never have let him out until we had a replacement who was fit.
So the club should have had three fit strikers at the club, in case one does his ACL in his first game for the club? In that scenario Fabio would have been stuck on our bench rather than gaining valuable experience starting every game.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the club should have had three fit strikers at the club, in case one does his ACL in his first game for the club? In that scenario Fabio would have been stuck on our bench rather than gaining valuable experience starting every game.
Given one is completely out of form and fitness, yes.
Given that we can only get gambles in the goalscoring department, I would have been looking at playing 2 up front from the get go, take a little bit of pressure off any 1 of them.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Easy to look back with hindsight I know. However having seen Raul in two out of our first four games and our overall attacking threat and striker options. I am beginning to think loaning out Fabio when we did may have perhaps been the right move in terms of his professional development but an absolutely awful team/club decision to leave us with such limited strike options to start the season. Fair enough if we had replaced him beforehand, but to leave us with just Raul, who clearly has declined in terms of goal threat and goal chance creation and is way of the pace for the premier league has been a madness.

Bournemouth will make it at five games with no back up striker integrated into the squad which now in retrospect looks like sheer lunacy and a calamitous decision. It does not take rocket science to see that we are in the bottom three because we have failed to score enough goals and apply enough of a strike threat in the final third. It is a plain fact that Fabio would have given us another option up top and whoever chose to loan him out when they did made a catastrophic error. In loaning Fabio out we have shot ourselves in the foot and pre-empted this appalling start to the season. If their is one truism about the Premier league it is quite simply if you do not score enough goals you are in big trouble. This is a truth that although obvious to 99.9% of football fans does not seem to have been taken on board by whoever made the decision to loan out Fabio when they did.
I disagree. It looks on face value that you’re right but had he stayed, I don’t think his experience would be so positive. It was essential for Fabio to go on loan and credit should be given to whoever got him into Anderlecht. Great club, proud history, a perfect level of club football to grind his teeth and of course, European football.
The club have avoided the easy path of short termism and correctly in my view, looked at the bigger picture and gone long. Next season, Fabio will be a monster.

Brockmoorwolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I disagree. It looks on face value that you’re right but had he stayed, I don’t think his experience would be so positive. It was essential for Fabio to go on loan and credit should be given to whoever got him into Anderlecht. Great club, proud history, a perfect level of club football to grind his teeth and of course, European football.
The club have avoided the easy path of short termism and correctly in my view, looked at the bigger picture and gone long. Next season, Fabio will be a monster.
Sorry we dont do posts like this on the mix, you must edit and agree with the others.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to see him on the scoresheet again. His development seems to be going well there, it was a good call and the only call really. He needs development and we can see on the back of that whether he is ready for 23/24 season. He was not the answer this season for us, simple.

My ideal scenario would be Anderlecht reaching the Europa Conference final. A platform like that for Fabio would be fantastic, Big final, trophy at stake, a real moment in time and he could potentially come back to the club a man on the back of an experience like that.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to this 9th Ranking: 10 Best Football Leagues In The World
There are quite a lot of different ranking systems, some of which the Brazilian league is higher, none I’ve found are they lower. So it’s higher than the Belgium league.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to see him on the scoresheet again. His development seems to be going well there, it was a good call and the only call really. He needs development and we can see on the back of that whether he is ready for 23/24 season. He was not the answer this season for us, simple.

My ideal scenario would be Anderlecht reaching the Europa Conference final. A platform like that for Fabio would be fantastic, Big final, trophy at stake, a real moment in time and he could potentially come back to the club a man on the back of an experience like that.
We haven't got an answer for us this season. We're praying two people with life threatening injuries get back to how they were playing two years ago. Awesome if it happens, but I somewhat doubt it will.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

De Wolfs Mullet

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There’s no way we’re recouping £35m next year, even if he scores 50 goals in Belgium.

He’ll be back with us, no doubt
You may be surprised what other clubs are prepared to pay. And if he were to score 50 goals....

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
12 games 7 goals 2 assists, dont care if one was from the pen spot, if he can get to 20 im happy if he gets 30 ecstatic.

hope he has a blinding october and gets an otuside pick for the world cup.

Not wishing injury on someone that he gets called up as a replacement.

Fabio has only just turned 20 he has a major future at wolves, something to be excited about, whats also impressive is he has gone through the awful tribulations and efforts and hes still firing good on him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
12 games 7 goals 2 assists, dont care if one was from the pen spot, if he can get to 20 im happy if he gets 30 ecstatic.

Fabio has only just turned 20 he has a major future at wolves, something to be excited about, whats also impressive is he has gone through the awful tribulations and efforts and hes still firing good on him.
It says a lot, all good, about his attitude and mentality.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And that'll be the bench mark in total across all comps - only once in the past 10 years or so has the 30 goal mark been broken in the Belgian league and its mostly low 20s

4 in 7 league games for Silva is good so far (at current run rate he's on schedule to score 19 League goals

over the past seasons the Belgian leagues top scorer has scored (mostly by 25+ year olds):

2021/22: 26 goals
2020/21: 33 goals then big gap to 2nd (21 goals) who was Wolves linked Thomas Henry
2019/20: COVID Year so skip that
2018/19: 23 goals
2017/18: 20 goals
2016/17: 22 goals
2015/16: 24 goals
2014/15: 20 goals (BTW this was 20 year old Mitrovic) BTW - Geoffrey Mujangi Bia was third with 14!!
2013/14: 18 goals (BTW this was 20 year old Batshuayi)

Last edited:

Muscat

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And that'll be the bench mark in total across all comps - only once in the past 10 years or so has the 30 goal mark been broken in the Belgian league and its mostly low 20s

4 in 7 league games for Silva is good so far (at current run rate he's on schedule to score 19 League goals

over the past seasons the Belgian leagues top scorer has scored (mostly by 25+ year olds)

2020/21: 33 goals then big gap to 2nd (21 goals) who was Wolves linked Thomas Henry
2014/15: 20 goals (BTW this was 20 year old Mitrovic) BTW - Geoffrey Mujangi Bia was third with 14!!

Where are these figures from? They look wrong to me. Mitrovic scored 14 as a 20-year-old.

Comparing like for like, these are the benchmarks for under 21s:

Batshuayi 18 in 29 (13/14)
Mitrovic 14 in 27 (14/15)
Jonathan David 18 in 27 (19/20)
Joshua Zirkzee 15 in 32 (21/22)

So we're looking at 14 as the minimum, which he is well on track for. Zirkzee is still young, so hard to know how his career will go, but the other three are top players. If Silva can get anywhere near those numbers he will be doing very well.

Rauls Headband

Reaction score
I think Silva has been given a very rough ride, for the simple reason that, at the time, a lot of money has been thrown at him. Yes that money 'could' have got something a little bit more 'oven ready' but that's not the Fosun strategy.

Its great to see him flourishing and scoring freely even if the standard of football isn't PL levels. It's going to do great things for his confidence, he is obviously becoming physically more imposing which will only help him in the PL league, and playing regularly will also improve his match fitness and sharpness, something he wasn't going to get sat on the bench this season.

It'd be great to see him knock in 30 goals in the Belgian league, and if he does, it would then be argued £35M isn't a huge amount for a striker with that record if we had to sign him again and he wasn't a Wolves player.

If he comes back to the PL, and knocks in 15/20 goals then he'll be worth more, investment proven.

I only hope the club don't end up in a similar situation to MGW, hopefully we've learned some lessons on how to nurture young talent.

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where are these figures from? They look wrong to me. Mitrovic scored 14 as a 20-year-old.

So we're looking at 14 as the minimum, which he is well on track for. Zirkzee is still young, so hard to know how his career will go, but the other three are top players. If Silva can get anywhere near those numbers he will be doing very well.

A quick google, apologies if wrong - will revise at lunchtime - EDIT, see subsequent post

Last edited:

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to this 9th Ranking: 10 Best Football Leagues In The World
There are quite a lot of different ranking systems, some of which the Brazilian league is higher, none I’ve found are they lower. So it’s higher than the Belgium league.

Here's one that ranks clubs.

Of course it's only a rough estimate. But broadly gives an idea of relative clubs strengths. Anderlecht's next opponents, Westerlo, are ranked at 396, just in between Birmingham and Rotherham, for example. We've been up around #20 at our peak, but since the bad run are now languishing at #63 club in the world.

Global Club Rankings

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Your figures look to only be the regular season ie Mitrovic scored 14 in 30 games, but got an additional 6 in the 10 playoff games, so that gets you to my 20 in total. Batshuayi was 18 goals but scored 3 more in the playoffs to get to the 21.

As for Joshua Zirkee in 2021/22, Denis Undav scored 25 normal league goals so Zirkee's 15 is no where near being top scorer

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

over the past seasons the Belgian leagues top scorer has scored (mostly by 25+ year olds):

Think he'll smash 20 if he stays fit. It's three in his four starts and he seems to be establishing himself as first choice striker (if he hasn't established himself as that already)

Northampton_wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he'll smash 20 if he stays fit. It's three in his four starts and he seems to be establishing himself as first choice striker (if he hasn't established himself as that already)
Hes got first choice striker down now, and they trusted him with the pen. They are fully behind him and backed, and he has absolutely gone heads above esposito

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the....

No, I don't want to say it...

But the way he is developing, his athletic chiselled body, his skills, his height, his focus and work input ...

He's the ...

No, no I can't...

He's the new...

Ronaldo.

Dammit, I said it. Sorry.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
I’ll say it again—I really thought that this was going to be his breakout year at Wolves. So, I was 50/50 on his loan. But playing every game, knocking in goals, being THE man, and hearing the adulation of the fans will really push him on. Perfect preamble for him to take the reins next year—he’ll be bigger, faster, stronger, and more confident. I think that he has all the makings of being a really, really good playmaking striker.

Keep it up Fabio!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the....

But the way he is developing, his athletic chiselled body, his skills, his height, his focus and work input ...

He's the ...

No, no I can't...

He's the new...

Ronaldo.

Hopefully not the fat allegedly drug abusing Brazilian.....

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He's the....

He's the ...

No, no I can't...

He's the new...

Ronaldo.

You tease, I thought you were going to say he's the new Rafa Mir.

Aurum Lupus

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I only hope the club don't end up in a similar situation to MGW, hopefully we've learned some lessons on how to nurture young talent.
Completely different situations. MGW and his family, had a far more turbulent relationship with the fans than Silva! He's also not going to get his head turned by the likes of newly promoted Nottingham Forest. If he scores loads of goals, he's going to get given a chance here next season. So unless a more established team comes in for him he'll be here, and if they do we'll be making a profit at least, because if we aren't, we won't sell. In the same way we played hard ball with MGW.

Aimless Balls

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anderlecht just lost 2-1. They look crap.
Agreed. I hope they continue to progress in Europe but their league form is poor, and they look poor.

Which league do you think is better, the championship or the JPL?

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope he continues to progress as he is doing.
Indeed. He lost 2 seasons being left in the mix with us when clearly nowhere near ready. Why this sort of move wasn't done certainly after the first season here is beyond me, maybe a case of the fee being the issue on not wanting such a high fee's player to be shipped out so soon to continue developing when the fee would in most cases be getting you a player very much more along the road than he was and possibly still is

Back
Top Bottom