Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Signed Memorabilia

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the opportunistic supposed ‘Wolves fan’ on Facebook supporter groups advertising signed memorabilia?

They are effectively taking orders, i.e buying a shirts with a players name on the back and getting it signed by said player then making a profit.

Doesn’t sit right with me at all. In fact I think it’s disgusting. Hope they stop whoever it is before them club stop allowing fans from contacting the players all together

I loved nothing more as a kid than meeting the players and getting my autograph book signed. Seems so wrong that people can turn that into a business venture.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed the opportunistic supposed ‘Wolves fan’ on Facebook supporter groups advertising signed memorabilia?

They are effectively taking orders, i.e buying a shirts with a players name on the back and getting it signed by said player then making a profit.

Doesn’t sit right with me at all. In fact I think it’s disgusting. Hope they stop whoever it is before them club stop allowing fans from contacting the players all together

I loved nothing more as a kid than meeting the players and getting my autograph book signed. Seems so wrong that people can turn that into a business venture.
I spoke to them in the week. Firstly they give a lot of their stuff to charitable causes at no charge, for example a signed shirt they've paid £50 and stood there collecting signatures. The players have spoken to them about it and the profit they are potentially making, they openly admit that they make some profit but just enough to pay for away tickets. The players are absolutely fine with this.

They're hardly doing it on an industrial level, and are nice genuine people. They stand outside the training ground with stuff for a couple of hours once a week or so and get it signed. They are providing a service to fellow Wolves supporters who can't spare the time themselves.

I'm of the complete opposite opinion to you and maybe you should just take a bit of time out to think it through before you start throwing around judgemental insults.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
The only problem with professional autograph and memorabilia hunters like this is that they spoil it for everyone else. I'm not interested in autographs or memorabilia myself but I know many footballers and 'celebrities' now refuse to sign shirts / photos etc. because they know people are doing it to sell stuff for a profit, mainly on eBay. I heard an interview with Robert Plant recently, saying that in general, he now refuses autographs because everything he signs is being monetized on eBay and other selling sites on the internet.

I guess the counter argument is that if people want a signed shirt or whatever, and someone else is prepared to hang around and wait for a player to sign it, they should be paid for their services. Doesn't quite sit right with me either though. A bit like those ****neys who were all around Molineux towards the end of last season cashing in on our promotion by selling unofficial t-shirts and scarfs etc. (or maybe that is just commerce at work!).

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I spoke to them in the week. Firstly they give a lot of their stuff to charitable causes at no charge, for example a signed shirt they've paid £50 and stood there collecting signatures. The players have spoken to them about it and the profit they are potentially making, they openly admit that they make some profit but just enough to pay for away tickets. The players are absolutely fine with this.

They're hardly doing it on an industrial level, and are nice genuine people. They stand outside the training ground with stuff for a couple of hours once a week or so and get it signed. They are providing a service to fellow Wolves supporters who can't spare the time themselves.

I'm of the complete opposite opinion to you and maybe you should just take a bit of time out to think it through before you start throwing around judgemental insults.

Firstly, there was no insult in my post I was merely offering an opinion.

Secondly, even though the charity side of it is admirable, the cynic in me says that is just a way to justify what they are doing. How can a player refuse to sign something if they say ‘it’s for charity’. They are also justifying it by saying it pays for their away tickets. How about paying for them like the rest of us?

Still doesn’t sit right with me. Like I said, I hope it doesn’t lead to the club tightening up on fan/player access.

WS10Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season 2013-14
Reaction score
Still doesn’t sit right with me. Like I said, I hope it doesn’t lead to the club tightening up on fan/player access.

That would be my biggest concern, being honest. It's already much more difficult for genuine fans to get autographs/pictures, and I doubt the club needs much of an excuse to tighten up player access.

Reaction score
Firstly, there was no insult in my post I was merely offering an opinion.

Secondly, even though the charity side of it is admirable, the cynic in me says that is just a way to justify what they are doing. How can a player refuse to sign something if they say ‘it’s for charity’. They are also justifying it by saying it pays for their away tickets. How about paying for them like the rest of us?

Firstly you said what they are doing was disgusting, that's pretty insulting in my book.

Secondly they listed a load of small charitable local causes they provided signed memorabilia for and I have no reason to doubt their word. They are nice genuine people who actually gave me advice on how and when to get stuff signed if I wanted to. At the time I was in the club shop, Rui Patricio was there and he was more than happy to sign a goalie's shirt for them and sign autographs for others.

The players have spoken to them and know that they split it between tickets and charity and they are all okay with it. If anyone wants signed memorabilia at least you know its a genuine source.

Reaction score
That would be my biggest concern, being honest. It's already much more difficult for genuine fans to get autographs/pictures, and I doubt the club needs much of an excuse to tighten up player access.
They are genuine fans, and there's nothing stopping other genuine fans going and getting autographs.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Firstly you said what they are doing was disgusting, that's pretty insulting in my book.

Secondly they listed a load of small charitable local causes they provided signed memorabilia for and I have no reason to doubt their word. They are nice genuine people who actually gave me advice on how and when to get stuff signed if I wanted to. At the time I was in the club shop, Rui Patricio was there and he was more than happy to sign a goalie's shirt for them and sign autographs for others.

The players have spoken to them and know that they split it between tickets and charity and they are all okay with it. If anyone wants signed memorabilia at least you know its a genuine source.

Respect your opinion on it but I’m sticking to mine. Having seen the volume of stuff available and how it’s being ‘advertised’ on Facebook I can’t believe it’s just covering away tickets.

We’ll have to agree to disagree

DEVIZESWOLVES

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
To be honest where we are heading as a club player access will inevitably become far more restricted.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen U.S. shows where retired players from baseball,ice hockey,football,basketball etc...openly have a table at some event, be it autos, music,sports, whatever and people line up, pay the ‘star’s assistant, shake hands, get the autograph and it’s all finished in 20 seconds........”next please”.
They don’t all do it, but some do.
And it’s all merchandising.... and we all support/condone it to some extent, directly or indirectly.

The Pie Poker

Reaction score
Cant see the problem with this. No different to going to "an evening with...."

Paying for signed merchandise has been and will be around forever. Ive got loads of signed memorabilia which I was more than happy to pay for.

D

Deleted member 4257

Why on earth does anyone want something with a young lads scribbles on?

Jarvo

Reaction score
To be fair, they've done me a good turn by getting an item signed for my lad by the squad in exchange for a small fee. I really don't see the problem.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have seen U.S. shows where retired players from baseball,ice hockey,football,basketball etc...openly have a table at some event, be it autos, music,sports, whatever and people line up, pay the ‘star’s assistant, shake hands, get the autograph and it’s all finished in 20 seconds........”next please”.
They don’t all do it, but some do.
And it’s all merchandising.... and we all support/condone it to some extent, directly or indirectly.

If we have something of value, it won't be long before the club stop it.
I remember when Man United had to do the same thing because the market became flooded with fakes, opportunists and people just hanging round the training ground with armfuls of tat expecting it all to be signed.
The club eventually took control and banned the players from signing merchandise from individuals. They dealt with the charities directly and handed over verified merchandise, so they knew they were benefitting and not being used.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we have something of value, it won't be long before the club stop it.
I remember when Man United had to do the same thing because the market became flooded with fakes, opportunists and people just hanging round the training ground with armfuls of tat expecting it all to be signed.
The club eventually took control and banned the players from signing merchandise from individuals. They dealt with the charities directly and handed over verified merchandise, so they knew they were benefitting and not being used.

This

Back
Top Bottom