Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rumours from the pub

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Is he actually a sheik or are people just assuming a Qatari businessman is?

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a bloke in the pub last night who had clearly had a few, saying that he used to be the top man where he worked but his boss had decided to bring in some flash git in an Armani suit to take over from him. Clearly more than a little bitter about it.

Anyway, he reckons Ronaldo is a trouble maker and Man United agreed to pay all his wages for us to take him off their hands. However, we said no. Getting someone better and younger soon.

Don't know if it's true, but then again who would have thought we would sign Guedes and Nunes?

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There was a bloke in the pub last night who had clearly had a few, saying that he used to be the top man where he worked but his boss had decided to bring in some flash git in an Armani suit to take over from him. Clearly more than a little bitter about it.

Anyway, he reckons Ronaldo is a trouble maker and Man United agreed to pay all his wages for us to take him off their hands. However, we said no. Getting someone better and younger soon.

Don't know if it's true, but then again who would have thought we would sign Guedes and Nunes?
So Ronaldo for free with no wages.. and we said no? Right..

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So Ronaldo for free with no wages.. and we said no? Right..
It's a pee-take... I assume that the bloke in the pub is supposed to be Scott Sellars (someone posted alleging that he had been peed up in a bar and blabbing about our transfer business months ago) and the bloke in the Armani suit Uncle Jorge....

Beijing Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A lot of rumours going around about Guo meeting with the Chinese Ambassador a few weeks ago, and being told that Wolves are an important public face of China in the UK and they expect success.

Probably bull****.
It’s true.

Was not going to share this originally, but I had dinner with a friend of mine who has travelled over as part of Fosuns entourage. He is the son of a very prominent Government official and part of the closer ties between the CCP and Fosun has seen him move into the Fosun legal department, specifically UK business based as he has a Law Masters degree from Cambridge.

He told me that now essentially Fosun are the main face of Chinese business in the UK. Wolves represent Fosun who in turn represent China. Especially in the Premier League where we have owners from all over the world, it is seen as shining a spotlight on Chinese management and business culture. Essentially they really want/need Wolves to be successful.

Would explain this sudden splurge of money.

Wolf 82

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a pee-take... I assume that the bloke in the pub is supposed to be Scott Sellars (someone posted alleging that he had been peed up in a bar and blabbing about our transfer business months ago) and the bloke in the Armani suit Uncle Jorge....
I just re-read.. and you must be some kind of god at puzzles.. because I still can’t see it

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true.

Was not going to share this originally, but I had dinner with a friend of mine who has travelled over as part of Fosuns entourage. He is the son of a very prominent Government official and part of the closer ties between the CCP and Fosun has seen him move into the Fosun legal department, specifically UK business based as he has a Law Masters degree from Cambridge.

He told me that now essentially Fosun are the main face of Chinese business in the UK. Wolves represent Fosun who in turn represent China. Especially in the Premier League where we have owners from all over the world, it is seen as shining a spotlight on Chinese management and business culture. Essentially they really want/need Wolves to be successful.

Very promising news!! Thanks for sharing.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true.

Certainly more encouraging than the Quatari Sheik theory.

The Clock

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sat next to a bloke just finishing a bottle of Mateus Rose.
Has a villa in Portugal.
He's heard that the Portuguese FA are giving a bonus related incentive to Wolves to populate the team with Portuguese Internationals.
Fernando Santos thinks the best way to win the World Cup is to have a settled team with a good understanding.
Bruno is being seconded for a 4 week period to act as Assistant to Santos for the period.
If Portugal were to win it would help seal a strong pipeline of players for the forseeable future.

And with a victory on 18th December a new tune will reverberate around Molineux for eternity:

"There was something in the air that night
Our stars were bright, Fernandos"

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true.

I wonder if this paves the way for ground improvement/extension?

It's easier to bankroll the club with increased stadium revenue's after all. We do still need to play by the ffp rules too.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Fosun aren't even close to the main face of Chinese business in the UK though? They have tiny investments compared to many other firms. Think it is north of £130BN in assets owned by Chinese firms. Fosun's holdings a borderline rounding effort.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Fosun aren't even close to the main face of Chinese business in the UK though? They have tiny investments compared to many other firms. Think it is north of £130BN in assets owned by Chinese firms. Fosun's holdings a borderline rounding effort.
If you measure it by asset value that's true, but it you measure it by the number of people that have awareness and interest in the businesses owned by Chinese firms then Wolves would have to be the best known asset.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

If you measure it by asset value that's true, but it you measure it by the number of people that have awareness and interest in the businesses owned by Chinese firms then Wolves would have to be the best known asset.
Hinckley power station, Lotus, Rover, British Steel, Harvey Nichols.

Disagree

Agent Cooper

Reaction score
Also Fosun's help during the pandemic would have enhanced their reputation in the UK and, by proxy, helped rebuild some political bridges between the UK and China.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score

Disagree
This is about soft power

Worldwide it's colossal but even just in the UK, are you honestly suggesting that the people of Britain have more engagement, awareness and discussion of Hinckley Power Station and Harvey Nichols than they do with the Premier League?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

This is about soft power

Worldwide it's colossal but even just in the UK, are you honestly suggesting that the people of Britain have more engagement, awareness and discussion of Hinckley Power Station and Harvey Nichols than they do with the Premier League?
More people in the UK have heard of Lotus than Wolverhampton Wanderers. Harvey Nichols is probably famous than us as well.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
More people in the UK have heard of Lotus than Wolverhampton Wanderers. Harvey Nichols is probably famous than us as well.
It's not about brand awareness, it's about how much it pervades people's lives and influences their thinking. Hence I said "awareness and interest".

The USA has Hollywood as a form of soft power. It is in people's lives a great deal. The Premier League is the biggest sporting competition in the world, and is extremely important culturally in the UK. Do people sit in the pub watching and talking about Lotus and Harvey Nichols?

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

It's not about brand awareness, it's about how much it pervades people's lives and influences their thinking. Hence I said "awareness and interest".

The USA has Hollywood as a form of soft power. It is in people's lives a great deal. The Premier League is the biggest sporting competition in the world, and is extremely important culturally in the UK. Do people sit in the pub watching and talking about Lotus and Harvey Nichols?
Do they sit around talking about Wolves having Chinese owners? Most people think Wolves = Portugal, not China.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I can explain this for you but I can't understand it for you
I think the phrase you are looking for is I can explain this too you but I can't make you understand it.

If you're going to be a clever dick, at least try to type in somewhat cogent English.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't think more people have heard of Lotus than Wolves. Lotus' peak was in the 60's and 70's when they were winning F1 championships. They'd completely disappeared from the sport for ages and are somewhat irrelevant now.

As far as Lotus the brand goes, they're not exactly Rolls Royce or even Vauxhall. As far as I know they don't even make engines anymore.

I've actually conducted a scientific test with regards to Hinckley Power Station. I shouted "babe, who owns Hinckley Power station?", my wife responded "what power station?" I said "Hinckley", she said "how would I know" and then said "would you get off your ****ing phone and clean the kitchen".

Wolves are beamed in to living rooms, bars and café's in 188 out of 193 countries every week for 9 months of the year. Last time I checked, Harvey Nick's is not.

Hinckley Power Station though, wow.

In terms of actual value, I'm sure there are loads of more valuable Chinese brands in the UK. Huawei are still here, I drive past their offices in Reading all the time. And Lenovo are in Basingstoke.

But Wolves provide soft power, we are visible in ways most industries can only dream of, I'm surprised we've not had main Chinese sponsors cashing in on that fact, maybe that'll happen soon.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm off to watch Hinckley power station being built, beamed live around the globe - except I'm not am I? No one is, no one knows nor cares lol.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true.

With the Chinese government giving the green light to Fosun for investment, I wonder if this is indicative of China's stance around the world now? Maybe easing off with regards to Taiwan and improving relations/business with the west? Hope so, it's better for everyone.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to the big games this weekend.

Big coal derby game on Saturday between Ratcliffe-on-Soar and Staythorpe C.

Then Hinkley takes on Sizewell B in the big nuke battle on Sunday
Not to mention the international fixtures coming up. Belchatow coal v Iberdrola solar in a real clash of styles.

I'll be taking in a non league game though as Chineham Incinerator take on Basingstoke's Anaerobic digester in the big derby.

Bondi Wolf

Reaction score
Not to mention the international fixtures coming up. Belchatow coal v Iberdrola solar in a real clash of styles.

I'll be taking in a non league game though as Chineham Incinerator take on Basingstoke's Anaerobic digester in the big derby.
I'm expecting an easy Chineham win. They've been on fire lately and Basingstoke stink

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s true.

I think that rings true, and I don't buy the Shi line about Wolves 'waiting for the right player to come along'. A couple of years ago UK relations with China hit rock bottom (5G, Hong Kong, Uiyghur Muslims). But that photo of Guo meeting the Chinese Ambassador to the UK didn't get released by chance and speaks volumes about a change in the mood music. Who knows how the CCP make decisions and why, but the sudden loosening of the purse strings at Wolves seems to be a consequence of it. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, as my dear old Mum used to say. That seems to be their thinking. But who knows, basically all you can do is try and read the runes.

MattH

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Surely the Chinese government are asking all prominent Chinese businesses in the UK to support the soft power push? Understandable that Fosun have a focus given the unique cultural influence of football but doubt they're the only ones. Fosun key for culutral/ sport stuff then the others for industrial relations.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that rings true, and I don't buy the Shi line about Wolves 'waiting for the right player to come along'. A couple of years ago UK relations with China hit rock bottom (5G, Hong Kong, Uiyghur Muslims). But that photo of Guo meeting the Chinese Ambassador to the UK didn't get released by chance and speaks volumes about a change in the mood music. Who knows how the CCP make decisions and why, but the sudden loosening of the purse strings at Wolves seems to be a consequence of it. Don't cut your nose off to spite your face, as my dear old Mum used to say. That seems to be their thinking. But who knows, basically all you can do is try and read the runes.
This is true and the CCP have also said they want to invest in Wolves because of how well we are run. A true legacy that has been left by Jez. It’s rumoured the CCP are also lining up Jez Moxey to advertise the new vegan pies in China.

Back
Top Bottom