Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ronaldo to wear #7: one rule for Man United?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I see that Ronaldo is to wear #7 for Yernited, taking Cavani's number.

Now I'm absolutely certain that when this Ronaldo saga started the rules very clearly stated that when a number for a player had been registered for the season that was it. So Cavani was #7 and that was that.

Does anyone, even remotely, think that if we'd re-signed Matt Doherty on August 31st we'd have been allowed to give him #2? Of course not. Now I don't give a rat's ass what number Ronaldo wears. What I do care about though, is that the rules appear to have been changed/bent/ignored for one of the big six - a club who not six months ago were prepared to join the ESL.

Small wonder that fans look at VAR and the decisions it makes in favour of the big teams and start to wonder...

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Now I'm absolutely certain that when this Ronaldo saga started the rules very clearly stated that when a number for a player had been registered for the season that was it. So Cavani was #7 and that was that.

Does anyone, even remotely, think that if we'd re-signed Matt Doherty on August 31st we'd have been allowed to give him #2? Of course not. Now I don't give a rat's ass what number Ronaldo wears. What I do care about though, is that the rules appear to have been changed/bent/ignored for one of the big six - a club who not six months ago were prepared to join the ESL.

Small wonder that fans look at VAR and the decisions it makes in favour of the big teams and start to wonder...
Can't knacker Ronnie's corporate branding....

Meanwhile...IMG-20210902-WA0017.jpg

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
In some Countries when a new player arrives wanting a specific shirt number that has already been allocated they are allowed to buy it off the current incumbent.It also happens in Basketball in the USA

jrpb-3

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
maybe they should just alter the rule to allow changes of number during the transfer window(s) then no other changes

bigwolf

Reaction score
Seems a pretty pointless rule but absolutely no reason to let MU have a massive marketing advantage by allowing this exception. Pathetic but exactly what we’ve come to expect.

Exactly Ponty.

On the pitch it does not matter what number he wears and I couldn't give two ****s what he wears in that sense. But it gives Utd a commerical advantage over other teams which will lead to increased income.

Simply not fair.

One rule for Utd and one rule for everyone else.

Oh wait I just realised the PL will also benefit commercially as well. Makes sense now they would agree. ****s.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gets eyes on the premier league thats all they care about
Ronaldo will be so protected by referees you watch

Hazza

Reaction score
Do you think that why they sold Dan James- simply to free up the number?

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According SSN on transfer deadline night, it can be done with an EPL special exemption. Was it ever in doubt that they would get such an exemption? Makes zero difference to me, but agree that it gives Utd a little extra advertising value.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't knacker Ronnie's corporate branding....

Meanwhile...View attachment 23731
That does look like a fun conversation in the near future, deciding penalty takers.
Do you see either of them relinquishing one, or indeed Ole having the balls to designate a set in stone penalty taker?
Before Penandes showed up, he couldn’t even make a permanent choice between Rashford and Pogba, both of whom miss more than a top level taker.
I foresee ball grabbing arguments on the pitch to come.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm more bothered about how he's being worshipped a hero with the overhanging serious allegations against him.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm more bothered about how he's being worshipped a hero with the overhanging serious allegations against him.
Innocent until proven guilty and all that but l know what you mean.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

One rule for Ronaldo more like! Make the most of it. One of the greatest players ever is now back in the PL. Enjoy while it lasts.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yes, but that hasn't been the case with less successful footballers and the media.
I know and that isn't fair. Cynically they didn't have the same PR machine. What is fascinating is the silence from the usual women's groups etc.

glorybox

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So basically Manure sold James just so Ronaldo could get the number 7 shirt? Or did they sell him because he's absolute gash?

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
That does look like a fun conversation in the near future, deciding penalty takers.
Do you see either of them relinquishing one, or indeed Ole having the balls to designate a set in stone penalty taker?
Before Penandes showed up, he couldn’t even make a permanent choice between Rashford and Pogba, both of whom miss more than a top level taker.
I foresee ball grabbing arguments on the pitch to come.
100% Ronaldo will be on penalty duties. He's a slave to his inflated stats.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In some Countries when a new player arrives wanting a specific shirt number that has already been allocated they are allowed to buy it off the current incumbent.It also happens in Basketball in the USA
and in the NFL.

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Seems like no big deal at first but then you realize that it's huge in terms of marketing and probably adds another million or two and maybe more to Uniteds coffers.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could you choose any number you want - like 80085 for example and just put it in an unusual font? :D

USA Wolf

President, Jordan Graham Fan Club
Reaction score
Somehow I don’t think that this issue is what gives United a marketing advantage, but on the pitch it will be frustrating to see them awarded 2 penalties per game now instead of the usual 1

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Somehow I don’t think that this issue is what gives United a marketing advantage, but on the pitch it will be frustrating to see them awarded 2 penalties per game now instead of the usual 1
Article in the athletic about how the presence of Ronaldo completely transformed Juve’s commercial and social media power, so even the €100m fee wasn’t exactly a lot. Their shirt and kit deals jumped by €50m alone.
Can’t have the same kind of transformative effect at United since they’re already a money and publicity machine, but being as they’re paying comparatively little, his enormous wages aren’t exactly going to hurt them.

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According SSN on transfer deadline night, it can be done with an EPL special exemption. Was it ever in doubt that they would get such an exemption? Makes zero difference to me, but agree that it gives Utd a little extra advertising value.

perhaps they could have a special exemption to look at mike dean's error, recognised by everyone across the media

i wonder why they won't....

Stoichkov

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

footballing wise we were on a par with them in the first or second season up, then they started getting more and more penalties...... Ole is a very lucky manager.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The PL set a precedent back at the start of 2017/18, when Marko Arnautovic was allowed to change his shirt number from 27, to 7 following the first game of the season.

The thing that allowed that to happen was West Ham sold their original number 7, Sofiane Feghouli, to Galatasary.

Edison Cavani plays in number 21 for Uruguay. So the only number he realistically would have moved to was 21, previously occupied by Dan James. So yes, the sale of Dan James indirectly freed up the number 7 shirt for Ronaldo, following Cavani’s number change.

The only difference with this scenario and the previous one at West Ham is that Feghouli hadn’t played in the number 7 shirt before Arnautovic took it and no other player played in the 27 shirt once Arnautovic had vacated it. So they only had one number 7 and one number 27 play that season (both Arnautovic).

Whereas United will have had two number 7’s play this season (Cavani and Ronaldo) and two number 21’s (James and Cavani).

In that situation, where a player has already competitively worn a number, it probably shouldn’t really be allowed.

But having Ronaldo as number 7 is good for Man United, good for the Premier League and ultimately good for us and the rest of the teams in the league if it increases marketability/revenues.

epic

Groupie
Reaction score
"It’s now being widely reported that Premier League rules state players must retain the shirt numbers they are registered under, unless they either depart or are granted ‘special dispensation’."

What is the "special dispensation" ? Can somebody advise please ?

VictorPyrrhic

Groupie
Reaction score
"It’s now being widely reported that Premier League rules state players must retain the shirt numbers they are registered under, unless they either depart or are granted ‘special dispensation’."

You prbably don't know want to know.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Being one of the sky six certainly helps.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just checking before we get too deep into the season-are Arsenal still part of " Sky six" ? Just checking if we can still use that reason when we play them

Arsenal are the sacrificial lambs that the Premier League have decided to relegate, so they can say it’s obviously not fixed in the favour of the big 6! ;)

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thanks. So people now have to be told that 7 is a number by another non numerical sign, something has gone wrong somewhere IMO.

what would people think if there was just the 7 ?
At my employer the letters are not allowed to be written in correct English as they estimate the public have a reading age of 7 (or 9). Just thought you would like that nugget

Back
Top Bottom