Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Romain Saïss x 200

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't post this before today's debacle because I heard, ahem, from a friend that a stream he watched last Sunday said that last Sunday's game was Saïss's 200th for Wolves, and I've only this evening been able to check out that my previous understanding, that today's game was in fact his 200th appearance, is actually the accurate stat. Just a shame today's landmark was such a game to forget for so many other reasons. Anyhow, well done Romain... you rock and we will miss you when you're no longer with us.

His 200 Wolves appearances & 15 goals came as follows:
- 104 apps in EPL with 9 goals (more goals than Adama!)
- 66 apps in EFL Championship with 4 goals
- 14 apps in UEFA Europa League with 1 goal
- 11 apps in FA Cup (no goals)
- 5 apps in EFL Carabao Cup with 1 goal.

Screenshot_20211216-025207_copy_723x428.png

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Been a great servant, he might still have a role depending on the contract length but likewise it might be better for him to move on and get a longer deal somewhere else.

Will always be grateful to him as a character and player though, had some massive performances for us.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Inglorious"
Reaction score
Enjoyed him finishing the day at CF, just about summed up the shambles of a performance.

Seriously, I woyld happily have never seen him in a Wolves shirt again pre-season, but he's been excellent until the last few games. Obviously a bit crazy, but get the idea he's a good guy (like so many of our players).

Oh Robbie Robie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of our most consistent performers over the last few seasons. Always, always gives his all for the cause and very underrated by a lot of our supporters. One of our most dangerous players from set pieces and has a sound technique. Occasionally makes some bad decisions but one of the players responsible for our improvement since the Championship days.

Romain Saiss.jpg

CelebrityWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my favourites and deserves massive respect. A real character by all accounts as well and clearly loved by his fellow teammates.
Amazing to think that slimy piece of **** Lambert thought Edwards and Saville were better players.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Definitely a good buy. I think he a good player who is seriously under rated. Good versatility and great attitude in or out of the team, I do believe we should be keeping him. New contract please.

Agreed. He is one of the those players that will be missed when he leaves. He is versatile and seems to have a positive effect on those around him. I hope he stays.

Well done on the 200. Here's to many more.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
He has shown marked improvement this season. He's done well and I hope he stays. Not sure he is better than Gomes in the position to be honest but he is a good and versatile squad player and he is clearly well liked by his team mates.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw this article and have mixed feelings. I would like him to stay based on the season he's had, but does he justify being one of our top earners? Will he get that sort of money elsewhere as he's on a free? What should the club do?

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Saw this article and have mixed feelings. I would like him to stay based on the season he's had, but does he justify being one of our top earners? Will he get that sort of money elsewhere as he's on a free? What should the club do?
Seeing Boly's imperious return last night I feel Lage has the options with the current CHs to next season go with a 4 with Boly and Kilman or a 5 with Coady and with Toti and Mosquera as decent back up I'm really not sure that we need to hang on to Saiss. I feel his wages could be used to strengthen other areas where we are so much weaker, ie mf and a striker.

Black Coffee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's from the Mail so I will take it with tanker full of salt.

But If true I'd say it's a big Fat No from me he should be not be one the top earners at the club absolutely no chance as already said the money could be put to beeter use i.e given Neves what's he's worth.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Should be looking to extend if the terms are right. He's an experienced defender who knows our system well and has had a good season on the whole. No brainer if the wage demands are reasonable.
What are reasonable wage demands? He is at the end of his contract. He can shop around if he wants, and he's had a very good season in a team likely to finish top 8.
Whilst they are millionaire's, I don't think our wage bill was anything close to top 8.

justanotherwolf

Reaction score
He is a cult hero. I would like him to stay. A two year contract on improved wages would be deserved is the OP said.

The memory of him lying in the floor after our 9 men dug deeper than deep up from the corner of the Riverside will stay with me forever.
Yep, we may have come a very long way in the last few years with some very special moments, but that picture is as iconic as any other to me.

If football is still about more than 11 mercenaries providing content for corporate and geopolitical behemoths, if emotion and soul still have a place alongside finance, then surely Romain deserves a 2-year deal on 1st-team-player terms at least.

Martin Riggs

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I always find the term 'cult hero' a bit disrespectful when used for players like Saiss as that's a tag usually for comedy footballers who are rubbish but give their all to the point you can't help but like them. Someone such as Mo Camara who'd gallop down the wing then spanner his cross into the south bank, but he'd flash a smile and a section of the crowd would laugh and applaud.

Saiss has been a consistent and solid player for years and I hope he gets a new contract.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
I haven't seen the Telegraph, only the tweet
I'll be glad if this happens. Even if he isn't necessarily always 1st team next season (depending on Boly/any imcomings); is a great player to have in the squad, especially if we get in any form of europe). Leaves it all on the pitch and seems like a great guy off the pitch (from wolves tv videos).

An asset at set-pieces and a pretty good shot.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would suggest that’s an opening gambit in the negotiation. Bit like a Union asking for 20% pay rise for members and settling for 3/4%. Jeff isn’t Peter Risdale so won’t be falling for it.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Saiss and he does seem a great member of the team, always laughing and joking around. I would like to see him stay but Toti was proving more than capable and can count himself unlucky to be side-lined and maybe even behind Boly. Its strange that after CH being deemed a weakness for so long, with the emergence of of Toti, Kilman and Boly's return to fitness it doesn't seem quite so pressing.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I like Saiss and he does seem a great member of the team, always laughing and joking around. I would like to see him stay but Toti was proving more than capable and can count himself unlucky to be side-lined and maybe even behind Boly. Its strange that after CH being deemed a weakness for so long, with the emergence of of Toti, Kilman and Boly's return to fitness it doesn't seem quite so pressing.

Very impressed with Toti, but I don't think he's "proved" anything, yet. Just too little game time. Very easy for young players to have drops in performance and confidence levels. Where an old hand like Saiss, sure can make a mistake, but it isn't going to get to him. Saiss age is not a big deal. These days, player fitness is so much better, where 35 is the new 30! The only thing they lose is a little pace and with the added experience, that can be compensated for. Has a good injury record, never one who struggles physically, should be well possible for him to be playing at highest level at 35.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will be interesting to see whether he is happy with the terms. At this point in his contract he is able to accept contracts from elsewhere.

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very impressed with Toti, but I don't think he's "proved" anything, yet. Just too little game time. Very easy for young players to have drops in performance and confidence levels. Where an old hand like Saiss, sure can make a mistake, but it isn't going to get to him. Saiss age is not a big deal. These days, player fitness is so much better, where 35 is the new 30! The only thing they lose is a little pace and with the added experience, that can be compensated for. Has a good injury record, never one who struggles physically, should be well possible for him to be playing at highest level at 35.

I don't disagree with anything you say but how does he prove himself unless get to play? I didn't see anything in Toti's game that made me think he looked out of place and he has played full seasons in Swiss football so its not as though he is stepping up from the reserves.
I am easy either way but just don't think it would be significantly weakening of the team should Saiss choose to move on. I seem to remember reading that his wife wanted to return to France.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Mentioned it before but he would have been straight out the door once promoted if I had anything to do with it. Just confirms I often know the square roof of **** all.

Great character, great servant. Hope he signs the new deal.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mentioned it before but he would have been straight out the door once promoted if I had anything to do with it. Just confirms I often know the square roof of **** all.

Great character, great servant. Hope he signs the new deal.

Him, Doherty and Coady were so obviously the first upgrades needed on promotion :D

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he may leave for a warmer climate hasn’t he had offers from Spain??

Reaction score
Bit of a shame that Coady then Neves got platitudes from the club for their 300th and 200th appearances, and Saiss has just quietly gone past the same milestone without any fanfare. The only reason I'd be content with him going is if he does really want in the 80-100k a week bracket and we use that money to bring a better player in with eyes on a back four

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bin. He's ****ing ****. Fed up of fawning over average players, if we want to progress, him and Marcel need to **** off

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Time for Gomes to come in, but imagine Saiss will start against Vile.

Back
Top Bottom