Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

RIP Pete Lewis (Goof)

• Thread starter Deleted member 3518
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3518

RIP Pete. So sad to hear the news, remember Burton away. What a day that was. Remember picking Pete up in Rotherham on the way to Middlesbrough with Telford Wolves. Always a gent. Nick, Mark, Gary; stay strong lads. OODCL
Burton away, what a day!:D

Stay safe mate.

Novawolf1

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this...I found out late afternoon and it’s so so sad. We were part of the same crowd growing up in the same little town and shared some great times late teens and early twenties. Great times then on the old North Bank plus a few away trips and he got me out of a mess once at Stoke. He was also a legend playing Sunday morning football shouting ‘Frankie Munro’ as he came up from centre back for a corner. Because I don’t get to many games I’ve not seen him for quite some time and sadly never did get round to looking for him in the Stile. Those who knew him long term in our town always smile when talking about one of life’s great characters and the world is suddenly sadder and less colourful with his passing. Gutted...

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just seen this and totally shocked. Wolves legend through and through, Telford Wolves legend through and through. RIP Goof. Thinking of you and all those closest to you.

Sheriff Woody

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pete sounds like he was a tremendous fella and his untimely passing is going to leave a massive hole in people's lives. My condolences to his family and all his friends.

God Speed Pete. Rest In Peace.

Wagstaffe Was Magic

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rest in peace Pete .... for ever a Wolf!!!

My condolences to his family and to you Nick, and all the Telford Wolves at this sad time! Pete seems to have been part of this season’s wonderful European adventure and I’m very pleased that he saw his beloved Wolves back at the very top!

D

David St

As others have said Pete was one of the most loyal, die hard wolves fans you will ever meet. He was also a bloody fabulous bloke. He has been a family friend for over 30 years and we have had many happy times watching wolves home and away with him. As my dad got older and couldn't make it to the match by himself Pete picked my dad up, took him to the match and looked after him throughout. Pete always looked out for my parents and visited and called whenever he could. We are all distraught at the thought of not hearing his voice again

I spoke to Pete about 2 week's ago and we spoke about the current team and which players would make it into the Premiership team of the season as well as reminiscing about the old times and the trip to Wembley for the Sherpa van trophy final in particular. Pete organised the coach for the final and it was one of the best football away days ever.

The only time I have seen Pete at a loss for words was when we lost to Torquay in the Sherpa van trophy in 1989. Pete had booked the coach to Wembley the week before the match and at full time he was completely stunned and don't think he spoke to anyone for the next week

Pete was always telling me that we are "a massive club" and that we would win the league in the top flight and conquer Europe. I always thought he was mad as this was in the days when we were playing Newport county away. However Pete's optimism has proved to be justified and I am so glad that he got to see the last couple of years where we have returned to our rightful place. I hope the Europa like can continue and win in for Pete as he was confident that no one could stop us

Thanks for all the memories and you will never be forgotten by all of us. We miss you

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
Thought long and hard about starting this thread, but maybe some on here knew him.

Sadly Pete passed away today from septicaemia. First met Pete in 1964, young 12 year old from Newport travelling on Greatrex Coaches (Stafford) to a Wolves away game, living near Newport travelled on Happy Days to home games. Since that day travelled the length and breadth of the Country following the Wolves, through the good times and the bad. From the Fox to the George and more recently to be found in the Stile. My best mate, who lived and breathed the Wolves and will be sadly missed.

RIP Pete.

An added sadness in the current climate is that funerals can’t take place as they would in normal times, depriving friends of that formal farewell.
If you wanted to make use of the forum to get people thinking of Pete at the appropriate time - I don’t know, playing The Liquidator or something in tribute - please do.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
An added sadness in the current climate is that funerals can’t take place as they would in normal times, depriving friends of that formal farewell.
If you wanted to make use of the forum to get people thinking of Pete at the appropriate time - I don’t know, playing The Liquidator or something in tribute - please do.

Firstly Rest In Peace Pete Lewis from the commiserations on here you must have been a special kind of guy.

I too was thinking about this Friends, Family, fellow Wolves fans that we lose under the present conditions, none of them can get the send of that they deserve because of the current situation, It would be nice if something could be done on here, but also whenever things get back to normal..

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
RIP Pete, a fellow Wolf. So very sad at that age, so much to live for.

I didn’t know him but I recognise him. The numerous heartfelt testimonies from everyone here shows he was obviously very much loved and he appears to have lived life to the full.

D

Deleted member 3518

As others have said Pete was one of the most loyal, die hard wolves fans you will ever meet. He was also a bloody fabulous bloke. He has been a family friend for over 30 years and we have had many happy times watching wolves home and away with him. As my dad got older and couldn't make it to the match by himself Pete picked my dad up, took him to the match and looked after him throughout. Pete always looked out for my parents and visited and called whenever he could. We are all distraught at the thought of not hearing his voice again

I spoke to Pete about 2 week's ago and we spoke about the current team and which players would make it into the Premiership team of the season as well as reminiscing about the old times and the trip to Wembley for the Sherpa van trophy final in particular. Pete organised the coach for the final and it was one of the best football away days ever.

The only time I have seen Pete at a loss for words was when we lost to Torquay in the Sherpa van trophy in 1989. Pete had booked the coach to Wembley the week before the match and at full time he was completely stunned and don't think he spoke to anyone for the next week

Pete was always telling me that we are "a massive club" and that we would win the league in the top flight and conquer Europe. I always thought he was mad as this was in the days when we were playing Newport county away. However Pete's optimism has proved to be justified and I am so glad that he got to see the last couple of years where we have returned to our rightful place. I hope the Europa like can continue and win in for Pete as he was confident that no one could stop us

Thanks for all the memories and you will never be forgotten by all of us. We miss you
Great post, if as I suspect your dad's name is Alan, then, as you know, Pete held him in the highest regard and was ever grateful for the support and guidance he'd given him over the years. Virtually every away game, the first thing Pete would do driving back would be to ring your dad and no matter how bad the game he'd put a positive spin on things and convince him that it wasn't as bad as it sounded. We used to wind him up about it and it inevitably ended in Pete telling us "I don't know why you ****ing bother", then he'd have a quick sulk and turn the music up. Always recovered by the time we got to the Bell at Tong or the Eagle in Eccleshall depending on location for post-match drinks.

D

David St

Great post, if as I suspect your dad's name is Alan, then, as you know, Pete held him in the highest regard and was ever grateful for the support and guidance he'd given him over the years. Virtually every away game, the first thing Pete would do driving back would be to ring your dad and no matter how bad the game he'd put a positive spin on things and convince him that it wasn't as bad as it sounded. We used to wind him up about it and it inevitably ended in Pete telling us "I don't know why you ****ing bother", then he'd have a quick sulk and turn the music up. Always recovered by the time we got to the Bell at Tong or the Eagle in Eccleshall depending on location for post-match drinks.

Yes you are correct as my dads name is Alan. The whole of my family adored Pete and both of my parents used to look forward to his calls as his infectious positivity has really helped them through a difficult time in their lives. I can't thank Pete enough for this has he was an absolute legend.

He also used to give me hell whenever I was critical of the team and always said that I was as bad as my dad. I remember in one championship season we were about 17 points of the playoffs with about 10 games to go and Pete said that we would win every game for the rest of the season and get promoted via the playoffs.

I can't believe he is gone as he was an absolute force of nature and like others I thought he would live forever. All of my family are going to miss his calls so much

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
One of those guys I've known for over 40 years without ever knowing his name. Seen him everywhere in the UK and abroad we always spoke to each other and passed the time of day. He would always acknowledge you. Like many, a great Wolves fan who enjoyed his football whether we won or lost but obviously more when Wolves were winning.

Rest in Peace

Reaction score
like many i knew Pete for many years , 50 at least, last saw him in Barcelona , i worked with him, went to the match with him and had many drinks with him, an eternal optimist , and a great friend , he will be sadly missed by many , i will have to wait until i can raise a glass to too " One of the best " love to Pete,s daughters and family at this very sad time, O.O.D.C.L . Grenville and Sue .

D

Deleted member 3518

A work colleague and friend of Pete's, Paul, has asked me to post the following having struggled to register on here.

It is with the heaviest of hearts and a lump in my throat that I write this. Pete first came to work with us in ’95 at Norton Cast. Being football fans (I’m an ardent Blade for my sins) and foundry men the connection was instantaneous between us. Indeed there were not many Pete didn’t connect with, but ours was special, it soon grew into a father/son relationship ( although he would say older brother). Many said I was the son he never had.
As our friendship grew our love for each others teams grew. The Wolves became the second team in our house. My son was bought up an honorary Wolves fan with many Wolves shirts bought by Peter and even a clock? Yes a clock. We had it on his bedroom wall in the middle of his Blades memorabilia. Pete soon got into the spirit of our local rivalries and made the pig fans (Wednesdayites) at our foundry’s life hell, for my part I too was encouraged to berate any **** fans (Baggies) that were unfortunate enough to come across us. We met many times before and after the many Wolves/Sheff Utd fixtures, always shared a drink and a laugh and I met many his friends who went on to become my friends, the best one being Nick- A.K.A Rhoswolf.
Pete even managed to drag me and my son to that most despised of places- Hilsboro’. My son would don his latest Wolves shirt. Three times we went with him , three times The Wolves did us proud and beat the pigs on fun filled nights. We enjoyed singing your songs and cheering your boys, but most of all we enjoyed Pete’s unrivalled love of your great club.
I could go on all day, but with a tear in my eye I say “Si’ Thi’ “ (goodbye in Yorkshire) to a Legend, a giant of a man and a true Wolves fan.
Best wishes

If you read this Paul thanks for your heart-felt words, as you say we've had some great times, hopefully all this **** will stop soon and we can meet-up next time we play in Sheffield, keep safe.

M

merseawolf

A work colleague and friend of Pete's, Paul, has asked me to post the following having struggled to register on here.

It is with the heaviest of hearts and a lump in my throat that I write this. Pete first came to work with us in ’95 at Norton Cast. Being football fans (I’m an ardent Blade for my sins) and foundry men the connection was instantaneous between us. Indeed there were not many Pete didn’t connect with, but ours was special, it soon grew into a father/son relationship ( although he would say older brother). Many said I was the son he never had.
As our friendship grew our love for each others teams grew. The Wolves became the second team in our house. My son was bought up an honorary Wolves fan with many Wolves shirts bought by Peter and even a clock? Yes a clock. We had it on his bedroom wall in the middle of his Blades memorabilia. Pete soon got into the spirit of our local rivalries and made the pig fans (Wednesdayites) at our foundry’s life hell, for my part I too was encouraged to berate any **** fans (Baggies) that were unfortunate enough to come across us. We met many times before and after the many Wolves/Sheff Utd fixtures, always shared a drink and a laugh and I met many his friends who went on to become my friends, the best one being Nick- A.K.A Rhoswolf.
Pete even managed to drag me and my son to that most despised of places- Hilsboro’. My son would don his latest Wolves shirt. Three times we went with him , three times The Wolves did us proud and beat the pigs on fun filled nights. We enjoyed singing your songs and cheering your boys, but most of all we enjoyed Pete’s unrivalled love of your great club.
I could go on all day, but with a tear in my eye I say “Si’ Thi’ “ (goodbye in Yorkshire) to a Legend, a giant of a man and a true Wolves fan.
Best wishes

If you read this Paul thanks for your heart-felt words, as you say we've had some great times, hopefully all this **** will stop soon and we can meet-up next time we play in Sheffield, keep safe.
What a great post.

D

David St

Best wishes

Great post and thanks for sharing these memories

D

Deleted member 3518

Only met Pete a couple of times came across as a proper gentleman and wolves though and though R I P condolences to all family and friends always will be part of the pack .
Bill, sent you a DM don't know if you received it. Barry and Mick used to travel on Greatrex with me and Pete in the mid 60's, not sure Rocky knows can you direct him to this thread and ask him to get in touch.

L

Liam SAFC

Hi all, sorry to those who knew Pete. I’ve just heard the news this morning and it’s really shocked me. I knew from Pete’s colleague Paul that he’d been in and out of hospital recently but still couldn’t believe it when I heard.

Signed up to pop a message on for the big man. We started a pump spares business up back in 2014 and were lucky enough to be put in touch with Norton Cast, and in particular Pete.

Being a keen football fan (Sunderland) we got on great from the outset. I always knew if we had a job that needed priced quickly, Pete always delivered for us. A lot of the time I must add, I would send an enquiry within 30 seconds my phone would ring and we’d spend the next ten minutes talking about football and get so lost in it that we totally forgot to discuss the enquiry!!

He always had time for me to pop in for a catch up when I was in Sheffield, always welcoming and had the gift off making you feel like you’d known him forever and a day.

I’ve never really had a second team, it was always Sunderland in our household growing up...but over the years through discussions with Pete and the odd phone call on a Saturday telling me which town/city he was visiting with the Wolves that weekend I find myself checking and celebrating a positive Wolves result, “The Wolves will be alright” he’d always sign off a phone call with.

Rest easy Pete, you’ll be a big miss.

D

Deleted member 3518

Hi all, sorry to those who knew Pete. I’ve just heard the news this morning and it’s really shocked me. I knew from Pete’s colleague Paul that he’d been in and out of hospital recently but still couldn’t believe it when I heard.

Signed up to pop a message on for the big man. We started a pump spares business up back in 2014 and were lucky enough to be put in touch with Norton Cast, and in particular Pete.

Being a keen football fan (Sunderland) we got on great from the outset. I always knew if we had a job that needed priced quickly, Pete always delivered for us. A lot of the time I must add, I would send an enquiry within 30 seconds my phone would ring and we’d spend the next ten minutes talking about football and get so lost in it that we totally forgot to discuss the enquiry!!

He always had time for me to pop in for a catch up when I was in Sheffield, always welcoming and had the gift off making you feel like you’d known him forever and a day.

I’ve never really had a second team, it was always Sunderland in our household growing up...but over the years through discussions with Pete and the odd phone call on a Saturday telling me which town/city he was visiting with the Wolves that weekend I find myself checking and celebrating a positive Wolves result, “The Wolves will be alright” he’d always sign off a phone call with.

Rest easy Pete, you’ll be a big miss.

Great post, thanks for taking the time, as you say the "big man" will be missed by many.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I had somehow missed this thread
Condolences to all family & friends.
Having seen the pic I recognize Pete and would say we were on nodding terms at away games.
Reading that he worked in Sheffield explains how on the couple of times we spoke he didn't bat an eyelid at my Yorkshire accent(& understood me!)
I'm not 100 % certain but at Fulham away in league cup donkey's years back
Jesus Garcia Sanjuan scored
A chap at the front (who I think may have been Pete) immediately turned, arms aloft
singing "Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah"
If it wasnt him I still credited him with it

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3518

I had somehow missed this thread
Condolences to all framily & friends.
Having seen the pic I recognize Pete and would say we were on nodding terms at away games.
Reading that he worked in Sheffield explains how on the couple of times we spoke he didn't bat an eyelid at my Yorkshire accent(& understood me!)
I'm not 100 % certain but at Fulham away in league cup donkey's years back
Jesus Garcia Sanjuan scored
A chap at the front (who I think may have been Pete) immediately turned, arms aloft
singing "Hallelujah, Hallelujah, Hallelujah"
If it wasnt him I still credited him with it
Totally true it was Pete and me, mid-week game in League Cup from memory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom