Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ref Loses The Plot in the MLS

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
MLS quarter final between Orlando and NEW York City. Ten man Orlando get the match to a penalty shoot out.

New York miss their first pen and we’re down to the last of the five. NYC need to score to stay in the game.

Orlando keeper saves NYC’s last penalty in the shoot out, Orlando are through. players are celebrating, coach has run dow the tunnel then VAR raises its ugly head.

VAR says the keeper’s a couple of inches off his line. Ref then calls for the pen to be taken again and adds insult to injury and books the keeper for coming off his line (I didn’t think that was a book able offence) who has already been booked. Red card. After a few minutes confusion Orlando then bring on sub keeper and just as the kick is about to be taken the Ref is told they can’t bring on a sub during a penalty shootout/Orlando have used all their subs. chaos as they have to check the rules and then an outfield player goes in goal. NY score
Nani steps up for Orlando’s fifth pen (scores they’re through) then their keeper saves an Orlando pen having come off his line just the same as the Orlando keeper but no VAR review. 2nd pen In sudden death the outfield player for Orlando who’s gone in goal miraculously saves then the Ref blows the whilste for FT forgetting Orlando still have to take their penalty.

Then after the second lot of celebrations begin he counts the penalties in his book again and realises there’s still a penalty to go.

Orlando eventually step up to take the final penalty, they score and and go through. The absolute maddest penalty shootout of all time 24 minutes for 7 pens each. Bonkers!

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
MLS quarter final between Orlando and NEW York City. Ten man Orlando get the match to a penalty shoot out.

New York miss their first pen and we’re down to the last of the five. NYC need to score to stay in the game.

Orlando keeper saves NYC’s last penalty in the shoot out, Orlando are through. players are celebrating, coach has run dow the tunnel then VAR raises its ugly head.

VAR says the keeper’s a couple of inches off his line. Ref then calls for the pen to be taken again and adds insult to injury and books the keeper for coming off his line (I didn’t think that was a book able offence) who has already been booked. Red card. After a few minutes confusion Orlando then bring on sub keeper and just as the kick is about to be taken the Ref is told they can’t bring on a sub during a penalty shootout/Orlando have used all their subs. chaos as they have to check the rules and then an outfield player goes in goal. NY score
Nani steps up for Orlando’s fifth pen (scores they’re through) then their keeper saves an Orlando pen having come off his line just the same as the Orlando keeper but no VAR review. 2nd pen In sudden death the outfield player for Orlando who’s gone in goal miraculously saves then the Ref blows the whilste for FT forgetting Orlando still have to take their penalty.

Then after the second lot of celebrations begin he counts the penalties in his book again and realises there’s still a penalty to go.

Orlando eventually step up to take the final penalty, they score and and go through. The absolute maddest penalty shootout of all time 24 minutes for 7 pens each. Bonkers!
That's America for you.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

As I’m originally from Worcester. This thread reminded me of the following.....

Non-league Worcester City's FA Cup heroics ended after the longest penalty shootout in the competition's history saw S****horpe reach the third round.

In a breathtaking tie of 54 chances, the League One side won 14-13 after 32 penalties had been taken.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Sign him up for the Premier League.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with my mate who was at the game immediately behind the goal. He was in charge of security.

Says it was mental and people were just stunned. Apparently the ref is supposed to be one of their best!!!

he was having to explain to people about the subs ruling, can’t really blame the fans for not quite getting us when the ref didn’t have a scooby.

Mighty Thor

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Next time you see that ref. he'll be handing you a big mac with fries.

that’s the problem. He won’t. He will probably get full support and backing of whatever referee association and the league will have him back on the roster next week to stand behind him.

who are the *******s that have decided to do this to football and why can’t it be stopped. It’s not their game. It’s collectively ours.

R

reanswolf

Amazing situation, but the ref apart from being harsh for sending off the keeper, was actually ok in a situation again over-managed by VAR. He did just come off his line, whereas the NYC keeper had one foot on the line for his save.

The farce was that Orlando tried to make a substitution in the penalty shoot out, which you can't do. Even more extraordinary is that so many AmeriCans can't count.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel kinda sorry for the ref. We've all had those "Wtf, everything I touch is turning to worms and I can't stop it happening" moments in life, but not in front of a camera and a massive audience. You can literally see his soul shrivelling.

Unless EVERY penalty in that shoot out is analysed for foot off the line, you can't be ruling one out through VAR. Total lunacy that then snowballed. And the miscount at the end was mind boggling.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As I’m originally from Worcester. This thread reminded me of the following.....

Non-league Worcester City's FA Cup heroics ended after the longest penalty shootout in the competition's history saw S****horpe reach the third round.

In a breathtaking tie of 54 chances, the League One side won 14-13 after 32 penalties had been taken.
Bloody hell, s****horpe have more stars than man united.

Plastic Shrapnel

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Here's the thing about that shootout though, every decision looked at by VAR was correct.

That off his line save, both feet were off the line, so it needs to be retaken.

The booking was for encroachment and is mandatory, and although that rule has now changed to give a warning first, the MLS season started before that rule change so they're playing by the old rules.

The save that wasn't ruled out was because he had one foot on the line, in the same way the final save he had one foot touching.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Feel kinda sorry for the ref. We've all had those "Wtf, everything I touch is turning to worms and I can't stop it happening" moments in life, but not in front of a camera and a massive audience. You can literally see his soul shrivelling.

Unless EVERY penalty in that shoot out is analysed for foot off the line, you can't be ruling one out through VAR. Total lunacy that then snowballed. And the miscount at the end was mind boggling.
I think that hits the nail on the head with regards the VAR decisions.

However, surely the ref should know the sub rule well enough to have stopped that farce in its tracks? Instead, he allows the player on, is about to let the penalty be taken, and he gets instructions on his headset to tell him he’s made a mistake. And then surely he knows how many penalties have been taken to stop this celebration in its tracks? That ref really has the qualities to make it as a PL ref!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

However, surely the ref should know the sub rule well enough to have stopped that farce in its tracks? Instead, he allows the player on, is about to let the penalty be taken, and he gets instructions on his headset to tell him he’s made a mistake. And then surely he knows how many penalties have been taken to stop this celebration in its tracks? That ref really has the qualities to make it as a PL ref!
Probably trained personally by Mike "Look at me, aren't l a ****" Riley.

Woodsetton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The reaction on the temporary keeper says it all, the look of confusion, does it or doesn’t it stand?

We’ve all had this look of discombobulation and it’s taking the natural emotion, straight out the game.

D

Deleted member 5276

Here's the thing about that shootout though, every decision looked at by VAR was correct.

That off his line save, both feet were off the line, so it needs to be retaken.

The booking was for encroachment and is mandatory, and although that rule has now changed to give a warning first, the MLS season started before that rule change so they're playing by the old rules.

The save that wasn't ruled out was because he had one foot on the line, in the same way the final save he had one foot touching.
Yes, indeed when you look at the video but I didn't see a behind the goal video for each penalty to confirm where the feet where. Johnson did have a foot on the line from Nani's penalty and so was legal. A mate of mine showed me his photo that made it look similar to the Gallese save that was retaken. For clarity, I think they should show the behind goal view as well so fans understand more.

Here's what those in authority said:

"The second yellow card was for encroachment, in that he had moved forward from the goal line at the moment the kick was taken and had no part of either foot on, or in-line with, the goal line. This is a mandatory cautionable offense as per the 2019/20 Laws of the Game, which MLS 2020 season is working under for the entirety of regular and post-season (the 2020/21 Laws have amended this aspect of law to include a warning for a first offense, however because MLS 2020 started prior to the Law changes coming into effect in the Summer of 2020, we continue working to the initial version of the Laws of the Game for the full season, and will incorporate the change for the 2021 season)."

"Goalkeepers who are sent off during kicks from the penalty mark can only be replaced by an eligible player i.e a player who is on the field of play (or temporarily off it due to adjusting equipment, injury treatment etc.) at the end of extra-time. Orlando reserve goalkeeper Brian Rowe was not an eligible player."

D

Deleted member 5276

Well there's some confusion about it. There was some conjecture because the Orlando staff were claiming that MLS rules state that yellow cards do not carry over into penalties and that the game actually finishes at 120 mins... so Gallese should not have received a red.

Now normally you would say that under the current rules the ref was right to show a second yellow and red to the Orlando keeper but MLS does have some quirky stuff so no-one was 100% sure in this situation apparently. So Orlando's contention, and still the one they hold right now, is that Gallese should not have been carded. Obviously they want him to play in the next game so this may go to appeal.

Allowing Brian Rowe to go in goal though was a farce. You can't sub in players to take penalties once the actual game is finished and the same rule applies to goalkeepers even if the regular one has been sent off in the penalties.

As for the ref, he actually managed the game pretty well. There is no love lost between the Lions and NYCFC and at one point he brought both captains together in the first half to calm the game down before it started to get ugly. He did a good job in that regard as it had the desired effect. Of course, there were other flashpoints and the inevitable red card for an Orlando player eventually but he was correct on that decision as well.

No doubt there will be some repercussions this week from all of this so will be interesting to hear what else is said.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Amazing situation, but the ref apart from being harsh for sending off the keeper, was actually ok in a situation again over-managed by VAR. He did just come off his line, whereas the NYC keeper had one foot on the line for his save.

The farce was that Orlando tried to make a substitution in the penalty shoot out, which you can't do. Even more extraordinary is that so many AmeriCans can't count.
Tell that counting issue to Donald Trump.

Back
Top Bottom