Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Ray Clemence RIP

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
For those of us who started watching football in teh 1970's it was Clemence vs Shilton all the way for England's No 1 spot. Sadly news has just broken that he’s passed away this weekend, RIP Clem.

Last edited:

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great shame. 2 greats vying for the Jersey was indeed a memory of that time. RIP.

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only 72 years old. Would have got past 100 caps if it hadn’t have been for Shelton. RIP.

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Made his debut for England the year I was born. I grew up as a kid with him as England No. 1. Sad news.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad. England was blessed to have two such good keepers as Clemence and Shilton at the same time.

Lyewolves

Groupie
Reaction score
Very sad news indeed, r.i.p to one of the greatest goalkeepers of his or any generation.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great goalie for Liverpool and Spurs. Played in an era when there were so many great English keepers - Banks, Shilton, Corrigan, etc. Pretty sure he was in goal for Liverpool when we beat them 1-0 at Molineux in 1973, League Cup QF. My first time watching the old gold n black. RIP Ray.

kinyo298

Reaction score
God Bless Ray, an inspiration to a lot of kids back in the day. RIP

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great goalie for Liverpool and Spurs. Played in an era when there were so many great English keepers - Banks, Shilton, Corrigan, etc. Pretty sure he was in goal for Liverpool when we beat them 1-0 at Molineux in 1973, League Cup QF. My first time watching the old gold n black. RIP Ray.

Remarkable decade for fantastic England goalkeepers. The seventies started with Gordon Banks and the Pele save in 1970, then we had Peter Shilton who was just incredible for Forest from when he joined them in 1977 ( he was " pretty good " before that ! ) Joe Corrigan was so unlucky to be number three keeper behind Shilts and Ray Clemence. Then there was Jimmy Rimmer as well as Phil Parkes ( not the Wolves one ! ) but the Sedgley born keeper who at one time was the worlds most expensive keeper when he went from QPR to West Ham.

There was one season Liverpool only conceded 16 goals when winning the league with Ray in goal.

Sad that as I get older more and more of these players I lovingly stuck in my football card albums are no longer with us.

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP a wonderful keeper and much respected in the game.

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad to hear the news of the passing of Ray Clemence
Thoughts and prayers to all his family and friends at this very sad time

Bilston paul

Groupie
Reaction score
Remarkable decade for fantastic England goalkeepers. The seventies started with Gordon Banks and the Pele save in 1970, then we had Peter Shilton who was just incredible for Forest from when he joined them in 1977 ( he was " pretty good " before that ! ) Joe Corrigan was so unlucky to be number three keeper behind Shilts and Ray Clemence. Then there was Jimmy Rimmer as well as Phil Parkes ( not the Wolves one ! ) but the Sedgley born keeper who at one time was the worlds most expensive keeper when he went from QPR to West Ham.

There was one season Liverpool only conceded 16 goals when winning the league with Ray in goal.

Sad that as I get older more and more of these players I lovingly stuck in my football card albums are no longer with us.
Couldn't agree more great era for English keepers back then. Shilton just edged it for me but what we could do with just one of them around in this era in the England team. RIP Ray thanks for the memories.

Beaumont2112

Groupie
Reaction score
He was a great keeper. My first memory was seeing him in goal for Liverpool on the 4th May 1976 at Molineux when Liverpool won the title and Wolves were relegated. It was going so well for 75 minutes!

R

reanswolf

Never thought he was as good as a few others, always had an error inhim.
Great servant for Liverpool.
RIP

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Beatles or Stones?
Shilton or Clemence?

I always thought Beatles were considerably better than Stones,and Shilton was better than Clemence.
I remember Ray Clemence well from all those Match of the Days Saturdays growing up in Sweden during the 70´s.
RIP

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Ray. Saw him and later met him at a sporting dinner. Really interesting guy and had a lot of time for people at that event.

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Loved football in the 1970s.

Rusty Staples

Groupie
Reaction score
Anyone know why he was moved on so quickly by Liverpool when he was at the top of his game... Seamed a really odd desision to me.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone know why he was moved on so quickly by Liverpool when he was at the top of his game... Seamed a really odd desision to me.

I think he actually asked to leave as Ray just felt he needed a change of scenery.

What better way was there than to end his Liverpool career by winning a third European Cup Winners medal in 1981 in his final appearance.

Back
Top Bottom