Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Raul Jimenez next season

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Watching Newcastle the other night and the transformation of Joelinton, I wonder whether there’s scope to turn Raul into an attacking midfielder? They have similar characteristics.

Raul is better with the ball at his feet, can shoot, naturally drops deep anyway and is rarely in the 6 yard box! Given his current reluctance to get physical in the box (understandably), maybe midfield is the place for him?

Doesn’t particularly fit the current formation but who knows how we’ll set up next year.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wish I could find the thread and my post but I said around the time of the Arsenal/WHU games that our chances of top 4/top 6 imo hinged on the performances of just 1 player -Jimenez. I said that if he could get somewhere near back to his old self and perhaps find another 8+ goals we stood a chance of Europe. Unfortunately he didn't make progress, didn't score the goals (as did no one else) and our season petered out. It is sad but so many of our players have gone past their sell by date at the same time and so a re-build is now necessary. Jimenez imo is one of them and if we can get some cash for him we should give him the chance to try to re-build his career.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can't be our starting striker next season imo. Plus, after this summer, there's not exactly going to be much of a market for him if he plays how he has done this season. Fosun may well look to cash in while there's a market for him this close season.
100%

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He can't be our starting striker next season imo. Plus, after this summer, there's not exactly going to be much of a market for him if he plays how he has done this season. Fosun may well look to cash in while there's a market for him this close season.
Agree, but I can't see many wanting to buy him. I expect he will stay on the books until his contract expires or he retires.

Mardenboroughs Shoulder

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yet Pukki managed to hold off 4 and 5 defenders all by himself and create chances (and a goal) at times. No support needed. In contrast, our forwards seem to need 5 yards of clear space and 3 seconds of time to decide who to pass back to. Every week, see plenty of goals scored by strikers who make it happen themselves. Or assisted by another forward. I think it a bit of a myth that strikers need goals delivered to them by creative midfielders. ... Whenever I've watched Lewendowski (or Halaand etc), they can torment defences and score goals all by themselves. They can turn a half chance into a goal. The very best can make a goal out of nothing, thats' what they do. Maybe we are just so goal starved we've forgotten? :(
Steve Bull made goals out of nothing too!

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Get Eileen Drewery in!!

There's a name I've not heard for a while.

The Ray Parlour story tickles me.

She apparently sat him down, went behind him and put her hands either side of his head.

She said "what can I do for you"

Parlour replies "short back and sides".

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Sad to say it but Raul looks to be in terminal decline. No good having a striker that cant score goals. Really can’t see him miraculously scoring many next season apart from penalties either. Let’s get some cash for him now that he’s still worth something. He could still probably do it in a less physical and slower league so there should be takers for him.
Thanks for his past good work but no room for sentiment in football nowadays.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sad to say it but Raul looks to be in terminal decline. No good having a striker that cant score goals. Really can’t see him miraculously scoring many next season apart from penalties either. Let’s get some cash for him now that he’s still worth something. He could still probably do it in a less physical and slower league so there should be takers for him.
Thanks for his past good work but no room for sentiment in football nowadays.
How mad would you be if he was banging in goals but demanding to be let out of his contract to go to Leeds? You'd have room for sentiment, I'm sure.

Hereford Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet Pukki managed to hold off 4 and 5 defenders all by himself and create chances (and a goal) at times. No support needed. In contrast, our forwards seem to need 5 yards of clear space and 3 seconds of time to decide who to pass back to. Every week, see plenty of goals scored by strikers who make it happen themselves. Or assisted by another forward. I think it a bit of a myth that strikers need goals delivered to them by creative midfielders. ... Whenever I've watched Lewendowski (or Halaand etc), they can torment defences and score goals all by themselves. They can turn a half chance into a goal. The very best can make a goal out of nothing, thats' what they do. Maybe we are just so goal starved we've forgotten? :(
Maybe we should buy Pukki.....

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It's about aggression. We hear Bruno talking all the time about 'winning duels'. That's it. We have a team of players who don't appear to want it at the moment.

It's why Toti and Chiquinho have been so refeshing. Neither have really done anything extraordinary, they've just been aggressive, won their duels and shown the fight we need.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's about aggression. We hear Bruno talking all the time about 'winning duels'. That's it. We have a team of players who don't appear to want it at the moment.

It's why Toti and Chiquinho have been so refeshing. Neither have really done anything extraordinary, they've just been aggressive, won their duels and shown the fight we need.

Yes, totally agree. Aggression in the good sense of winning 50/50's. It seems to fade broadly as you move from back to front in our team.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Superstar hero for Wolves.
Sadly he will know that injury has stopped him being the peak performer he needs to be at this level .
In January 2021 Fosun should have bought in a proper replacement . It’s cost us dear .

Pengwern

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Raul needs better service which MGW and Sanchez would provide.

Bostin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thought he was great today. **** pass to Hwang to make it 1-2, mind!

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Watching Newcastle the other night and the transformation of Joelinton, I wonder whether there’s scope to turn Raul into an attacking midfielder? They have similar characteristics.

Raul is better with the ball at his feet, can shoot, naturally drops deep anyway and is rarely in the 6 yard box! Given his current reluctance to get physical in the box (understandably), maybe midfield is the place for him?

Doesn’t particularly fit the current formation but who knows how we’ll set up next year.
Joelinton is far bigger, quicker and stronger than Raul. He also doesn't really play attacking mid more box to box almost, can't pass worth a **** though

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
He was crying his eyes out at full time, think he’s probably moving on.

Eugh. More horrible news. Bad enough losing Diogo and Nuno in previous seasons. Adding Neves and Raul to that would be horrible. He’s the biggest striking icon at the club since Bully.

Saw enough from him today to suggest he still has something to offer.

Back
Top Bottom