Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Rapid Progress

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This is the United team that started today (with our players in team v Bournemouth in brackets). Both Howe and OGS have tried to play 3 at the back in the last day, and both have had to ditch it at half time. Yet when you look at the Utd XI and compare it to ours, it makes you realise how well - in one and a third PL seasons - Wolves have done. Obviously there a few missing (Boly, Pogba etc).

DDG ( Patricio )

Lindelhof ( Dendoncker )
Maguire ( Coady )
Jones ( Saiss )

AWB ( Doc )
Perreira ( Moutinho )
Fred ( Neves )
Williams ( Jonny )

James ( Traore )
Martial ( Jimenez )
Rashford ( Jota )

Amazing. Our team cost around £135m, the same as AWB and Maguire combined.

Of course, we also have Nuno.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Buy quality, buy once.

And as for Pogba, absolutely world class on his day but.... attitude is a factor over the season. You could list the players who could have been so much more. Football is a team game.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We broke the mould when we came up last season in that we went on the offensive from day 1. I can't think of any other Champs sides that adopted such a policy; promoted sides would generally park the bus with the result they went straight back down. Sheffield, Villa and Norwich have all tried to adopt our philosophy this season with differing results but all 3 sides want to play football. It annoys me a bit when the media eulogise about Sheffield and Chris Wilder without giving the nod to Nuno and what we did last season. Our progress has been fantastic and we have set a blue-print for promoted sides to adopt.

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
'We're Wolverhampton we lead the way!' :)

But to be fair a system change, or for that matter, an identity shift, requires a good grounding period.

Never ever easy to drop change in and for it to click sweetly, no matter the supposed quality of individuals. It's always about being becoming attuned with practice.

D

Deleted member 9788

This is the United team that started today (with our players in team v Bournemouth in brackets). Both Howe and OGS have tried to play 3 at the back in the last day, and both have had to ditch it at half time. Yet when you look at the Utd XI and compare it to ours, it makes you realise how well - in one and a third PL seasons - Wolves have done. Obviously there a few missing (Boly, Pogba etc).

DDG ( Patricio )

Lindelhof ( Dendoncker )
Maguire ( Coady )
Jones ( Saiss )

AWB ( Doc )
Perreira ( Moutinho )
Fred ( Neves )
Williams ( Jonny )

James ( Traore )
Martial ( Jimenez )
Rashford ( Jota )

Amazing. Our team cost around £135m, the same as AWB and Maguire combined.

Of course, we also have Nuno.

From that team I'm struggling to see who I would take from them. De gea maybe but harsh on rui. Awb is a quality right back but doc gets the nod as a rwb. Coads gets in my team as skipper so would be donk and Maguire beside him. Maybe in 5 years we would have Williams over Jonny but right now it's Jonny. The midfield 2 theirs don't stand a chance. Traore on form is probably the best rwf in the league at the moment (inc salah), jota over rashford anyday and I'm pretty certain if you asked a United fan if they would take Raul over martial they would rip your hand off.

Manager wise no competition

S

ShropshireLad

From that team I'm struggling to see who I would take from them. De gea maybe but harsh on rui. Awb is a quality right back but doc gets the nod as a rwb. Coads gets in my team as skipper so would be donk and Maguire beside him. Maybe in 5 years we would have Williams over Jonny but right now it's Jonny. The midfield 2 theirs don't stand a chance. Traore on form is probably the best rwf in the league at the moment (inc salah), jota over rashford anyday and I'm pretty certain if you asked a United fan if they would take Raul over martial they would rip your hand off.

Manager wise no competition
Rashford and de Gea would be the only ones but they'd be on the bench for me. ;)

Ginger Chimp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We broke the mould when we came up last season in that we went on the offensive from day 1. I can't think of any other Champs sides that adopted such a policy; promoted sides would generally park the bus with the result they went straight back down. Sheffield, Villa and Norwich have all tried to adopt our philosophy this season with differing results but all 3 sides want to play football. It annoys me a bit when the media eulogise about Sheffield and Chris Wilder without giving the nod to Nuno and what we did last season. Our progress has been fantastic and we have set a blue-print for promoted sides to adopt.
To be fair, their start has been better than ours was.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We were bigged up most of last season by Shearer. Actually, we weren't - he never exaggerated but simply told the truth. I don't think that soy boy Lineker likes us one bit and Danny Murphy hates us, so they will tend to undercook us or ignore as as much as the script will allow.

Crooks is an idiot. SKY are idiots. WM are largely idiots.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

Weird how everyone is knocking United non-stop and they were a contentious VAR decision from going in front of us in the league and will still probably finish above us come May.

So, are we underachieving?

Big Nosed Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we played them last season in the cup I posted I wouldn't swap anyone at United for any current Wolves player or coaching staff for that matter. I have not had cause to change that.

M

merseawolf

Weird how everyone is knocking United non-stop and they were a contentious VAR decision from going in front of us in the league and will still probably finish above us come May.

They get knocked because they are arguably the biggest club side in the world and have spent and wasted a huge fortune of cash on players. Long may it continue.

D

Deleted member 9788

No offence but have you actually ever said a good word about wolves on this forum?

I think most people are knocking United because the footballing world had to put up with ****y arrogant **** for 20 odd years. Plus they won't finish above us this year

D

They get knocked because they are arguably the biggest club side in the world and have spent and wasted a huge fortune of cash on players. Long may it continue.

I get that, but we act as though we are better for some reason?

They have an awful squad, poor manager and anything from 0-2 players who would get in our team.

We are the opposite, yet we couldn't finish close to them last season (points wise) and are only two ahead of them now.

D

No offence but have you actually ever said a good word about wolves on this forum?

I think most people are knocking United because the footballing world had to put up with ****y arrogant **** for 20 odd years. Plus they won't finish above us this year

Yes, I have.

I reckon they will finish above us, we shall see.

D

Deleted member 9788

They have an awful squad, poor manager and anything from 0-2 players who would get in our team.

We are the opposite, yet we couldn't finish close to them last season (points wise) and are only two ahead of them now.

So out of the line-up comparison the op did what would be your combined 11 out of interest?

D

So out of the line-up comparison the op did what would be your combined 11 out of interest?

De Gea
Lindelof - Maguire - Saiss
AWB - Moutinho - Neves - Jonny
Traore - Rashford - Martial

It's hard though. There's not much between Doherty/AWB, Jota/Martial, Rashford/Jimenez, Traore/James. If anyone disagreed with my suggestions on them I'd be fine, the keepers too tbh.

I'm not coming on here saying United are amazing, but if they're that bad, why are we only two points ahead? And, neither side have changed THAT much from last season, so why were we so far behind them then?

D

Deleted member 9788

De Gea
Lindelof - Maguire - Saiss
AWB - Moutinho - Neves - Jonny
Traore - Rashford - Martial

It's hard though. There's not much between Doherty/AWB, Jota/Martial, Rashford/Jimenez, Traore/James. If anyone disagreed with my suggestions on them I'd be fine, the keepers too tbh.

I'm not coming on here saying United are amazing, but if they're that bad, why are we only two points ahead? And, neither side have changed THAT much from last season, so why were we so far behind them then?

Wow rashford over Raul? I've got plenty of glory supporting United mates and I'll put my **** on the line e to say there won't be many saying they would take him over Raul!!

Awb as a rightback is top..but like today when he is played at rwb he is ****.

Saiss in ahead of donk? Ok your opinion.

Traore and James are not close. Adama has gone on to another planet.

The main difference between us and them from that year is we now have a years premier league experience. That's why I'm sure we will finish above them

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was more about how well we have progressed. We've spent a lot of money (in comparison to what we are used to) but we now have a "comparable" team to a PL mainstay who spent around the same on two players. And we have done it all in less than one and a half seasons.

D

Wow rashford over Raul? I've got plenty of glory supporting United mates and I'll put my **** on the line e to say there won't be many saying they would take him over Raul!!

Awb as a rightback is top..but like today when he is played at rwb he is ****.

Saiss in ahead of donk? Ok your opinion.

Traore and James are not close. Adama has gone on to another planet.

The main difference between us and them from that year is we now have a years premier league experience. That's why I'm sure we will finish above them

Like I said, not much between them. Rashford has more goals and assists. Actually, I'd probably stick Rashford to the left and Jimenez up top, getting rid of Martial thinking about it. But again, not much between any of them, and James also has more goals than Traore so to say they not close is wrong IMO.

Agree about AWB, not as good going forward but overall a good player. Saiss was picked because left-side.

So, why are we only two points ahead of them and why were we so far behind them last season?

M

merseawolf

They have some fantastic players still.
Just no identity and the manager is so out of his depth

D

Deleted member 9788

Like I said, not much between them. Rashford has more goals and assists. Actually, I'd probably stick Rashford to the left and Jimenez up top, getting rid of Martial thinking about it. But again, not much between any of them, and James also has more goals than Traore so to say they not close is wrong IMO.

Agree about AWB, not as good going forward but overall a good player. Saiss was picked because left-side.

So, why are we only two points ahead of them and why were we so far behind them last season?

Daniel James- 3 goals and 3 assists in 1075 minutes
Adama- 2 goals and 3 assists 922 minutes.

So James has got 1 goal more in 2 games more of playing..

D

Daniel James- 3 goals and 3 assists in 1075 minutes
Adama- 2 goals and 3 assists 922 minutes.

So James has got 1 goal more in 2 games more of playing..

Yeah, so there's not much between them and I picked Traore, so I clearly think he's better. I just said if someone picked James I wouldn't say they were mad.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have David De Gea. Maguire. Jones over Saiss but not Boly.
Donk vs lindeloff is harder cos donk hasn't played all that many games at centre-back and whilst he looks very good there at the moment I don't think he
Wan-Bissaka I'd have over doc if we ever went to a back 4 but as a wing back it is a no contest in docs favour. Moutinho and Neves beats Pereira and Fred hands down for me. But I'd take a fit Pogba over one of them(not sure which). Rashford over Jota on current form. I'd definitely keep Traore and jiminez over Martial and James.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Not that convinced they will. So no, we’re not, they are.
Money ball. Every point we get is of greater value, and value for money, than they get.
Biggest spend should, and usually does, mean best result.

You’re trying to imply that they can’t be underachieving and us doing well, while being on similar points.
That’s facile.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

They've spent the best part of a billion. I know you love the devil advocate role but this is a wrong tree you are barking up.

W

WasStefan

Utd have some very good upcoming young players being coached by a complete novice. It’s fundamentally flawed.

D

They've spent the best part of a billion. I know you love the devil advocate role but this is a wrong tree you are barking up.

I saw a thing on Twitter that said we're the fourth highest net spend in England in the past three years, admittedly not to their level.

Anyway, it was more sticking up for United than having a dig at us. I'd do the same if people were slagging of Arsenal.

Everyone is so quick to criticise them, stick the boot in, they're supposedly in crisis, an embarrassment, a circus etc. and we're TWO points ahead of Man Utd!!

Of course they should be better because of the finances but the way these bigger sides are dismissed is way over the top IMO.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I saw a thing on Twitter that said we're the fourth highest net spend in England in the past three years, admittedly not to their level.

Anyway, it was more sticking up for United than having a dig at us. I'd do the same if people were slagging of Arsenal.

Everyone is so quick to criticise them, stick the boot in, they're supposedly in crisis, an embarrassment, a circus etc. and we're TWO points ahead of Man Utd!!

Of course they should be better because of the finances but the way these bigger sides are dismissed is way over the top IMO.

They’re dismissed appropriately to their budget and expectations.
Of course it’s hyperbolic to say ‘they’re ****’ and mean that in the completely literal sense.
They’re better than nearly every team in England (being as there are 91 professional clubs atm), they have squads most clubs even in the prem would kill for.

But both United and Arsenal have nowhere near the level of quality they should have, in terms of budget and history. They’re not even performing as well as those limited squads should be.

So yes. They’re ****.
We outplayed Arsenal for at least 60 of the 90 mins. Got a draw out of United when we were playing ****.
So yeah. They’re ****.

I could have seen your point last season. No good calling them **** when they both outpointed us by a significant margin over the course of the season.
This time looks to be a different story.

The 4th biggest net spend thing is still a nonsense though. It doesn’t take into account the starting point for the squad.
Try looking at squad value and wage bill per league point.
By those measurements, we’re a much better team than United and Arsenal.
But not as good as Sheff Utd so far or indeed Cardiff last season. To be in with a shout of staying up with that absolute dog**** squad was an incredible (almost) achievement.

Miniwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think its to do with expectation, for Man u fans (plastic or otherwise) they are having a terrible season, as they did last season despite being well ahead of us, but because they are used to success anything else is deemed not good enough. In our case a 7th place finish is fantastic but for them its a disaster, its all about perspective. For me, I wouldnt criticise them, its not our place really as thats for their fans to do if they are not living upto what they expect. We were still way behind them last season, which given the two clubs history over the last few decades isnt suprising but the difference is we were over the moon where we finished and they were not despite a fairly large points difference. So I guess if you asked the question who's fans are happier right now it would be ours, despite us still being behind them in reality.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would have David De Gea. Maguire. Jones over Saiss but not Boly.
Donk vs lindeloff is harder cos donk hasn't played all that many games at centre-back and whilst he looks very good there at the moment I don't think he
Wan-Bissaka I'd have over doc if we ever went to a back 4 but as a wing back it is a no contest in docs favour. Moutinho and Neves beats Pereira and Fred hands down for me. But I'd take a fit Pogba over one of them(not sure which). Rashford over Jota on current form. I'd definitely keep Traore and jiminez over Martial and James.
Jones?! :eek: You've got to be joking. Looked like a Championship player last night.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jones?! :eek: You've got to be joking. Looked like a Championship player last night.
Funny because he's never played at championship level in his life. In a straight swap for Saiss as a defender I'd take him in a second.

Back
Top Bottom