Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

R.I.P Gwyn Jones

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We should have a serious conversation about outlawing heading. We have lost too many players like nobby stiles and emelyn hughes - these deaths are directly linked to heading a ball.

D

Deleted member 11332

We should have a serious conversation about outlawing heading. We have lost too many players like nobby stiles and emelyn hughes - these deaths are directly linked to heading a ball.

Not even a relevant conversation any more considering how light the balls now compared to back then.

Reactions: Ian

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His role was as a stand-in for Gerry Harris at left-back. I remember him having the unenviable task of marking the legendary Stanley Matthews at Molineux in 1960. Stan was 45 at the time.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
glasgow university stiudies found pro. players are more prone to getting dementia,parkinsons and motorneurone disease

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why not have a debate about carb loading. More likely to be the cause.

I'm pretty sure the players in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't carb load. I've read many stories of pre-match steak. I'd be interested where you got this idea from though.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure the players in the 50s, 60s and 70s didn't carb load. I've read many stories of pre-match steak. I'd be interested where you got this idea from though.
Its endemic amongst trainers generally and in society in general. I follow low carb strategies and advocates; Ivor Cummins, Ted Naiman, Phinney & Volek etc.. my view is that dementia is essentially Type 3 Diabetes and the driver for this is Processed Food, Sugar and industrial seed Oils. Basically Western Food.
Personally I never eat bread, pizza, chips, rice or noodles. Steak I totally approve of, steak and chips not so much.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Its endemic amongst trainers generally and in society in general. I follow low carb strategies and advocates; Ivor Cummins, Ted Naiman, Phinney & Volek etc.. my view is that dementia is essentially Type 3 Diabetes and the driver for this is Processed Food, Sugar and industrial seed Oils. Basically Western Food.
Personally I never eat bread, pizza, chips, rice or noodles. Steak I totally approve of, steak and chips not so much.
what about parkinsons and motor neurone disease?

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Is that just your hunch, or is there any scientific evidence to support it? Can't say I've since this theory advanced anywhere else.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
what about parkinsons and motor neurone disease?
There has been some success in Parkinsons with Alexander Technique. Motor neurone I have no idea. There are multiple reasons for diseases,I.e. environmental, heredity. But diet is a good place to start PubMed is a good reference. The people I follow delve through this stuff.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There has been some success in Parkinsons with Alexander Technique. Motor neurone I have no idea. There are multiple reasons for diseases,I.e. environmental, heredity. But diet is a good place to start PubMed is a good reference. The people I follow delve through this stuff.
I agree that diet is a possible contributory factor, it's just that I haven't seen any proposal from the medical profession that diet might be implicated in the diseases (many) which cause dementia, which is really a result of illnesses like Alzheimer's rather than a disease in it itself. It would be interesting to know whether populations that don't have a western diet, such as the Amazonian Indians or some tribal groups in New Guinea ever get diseases like Alzheimer's or not. CJD was an obvious example of how what you eat can definitely affect your brain, and there might be others.

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This has been covered extensively by Gary Taubes, re native and hunter gatherers health. Heart disease is covered by Ivor Cummins a.k.a. the Fat Emporer. Have I shared the Widomaker on here? I have very high calcium in my arteries but at least I know and can address it. Expect this should be covered in a different forum.
The food and pharmaceutical industries dont like low carb so ignore or suppress information. Doctors do not study nutrition so we are on our own. Aseem Malhotra is a pretty good high profile doctor.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I went Keto for five weeks (perhaps not the same but free of processed foods including sugar, bread, pasta, potatoes, rice etc) - felt so full of energy and had crystal clear cognitive ability.

Western food definitely has a dulling effect on body and mind. Loading up on cheap carbs has the opposite effect in the short term and is probably a boiling frog long term.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Where's the evidence of that dementia directly linked to heading? What about the millions of those who unfortunately live with it and die from it who've never played football in their lives?

Horrific disease and thoughts with his family. RIP.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where's the evidence of that dementia directly linked to heading? What about the millions of those who unfortunately live with it and die from it who've never played football in their lives?

Horrific disease and thoughts with his family. RIP.

Pure logics.
Especially with them heavy balls back then.
Heck..I remember heading a rainheavy ball back in the 70´s..even that wasn´t so nice.
RIP Gwyn.

scrufftyguy

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Dementia was a contributory or underlying cause in a quarter of all deaths of over 75s in 2017, and in fact the highest single cause of death. Your chances of dying of dementia also typically increase with age. People generally live to an older age and, unfortunately, that means they’re more likely to die of dementia.

Though brain injury does increase your chances of developing dementia it’d be difficult to say whether heading a (modern) football increases your chances.

Perhaps footballers should be having regular brain scans to see whether heading a ball is causing any long term brain damage.

Back
Top Bottom