Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Question on our future and nuno

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Does anyone think we will ever outgrow nuno? Everyone knows he is a cautious manager (not a dig) but if we continue to progress we will be expected to take games to the opposition instead of playing on the counter. Is our style of play down to our quality and playing to our strengths or is it just nuno’s style?
This is In no way a bashing thread because I think he is the best thing since sliced bread but I’m just interested in people opinions. Will we get to a point where he has taken us as far as he can and we require a manager with a different approach or will nuno adapt when we begin to spend serious money?

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno came to the Club with a style, drilled it into the players immediately and has signed players that are up for it.

Every single player is 100% behind him and believes in him, hence why we are a good, strong team. Those few who maybe haven't bought into Nuno's style or got fed up of him have been moved on.

When Nuno departs it'll be because he's been given an offer he can't refuse. Not the next time we go six games without a win and the Twitter lot think we can do better.

When that time comes, we have to hope he's made the Club attractive enough for a superb coach to replace him, or it could all go pear-shaped quite quickly.

IMO, of course.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As we get better and get better players our style will evolve. You only have to look at what we did in the Championship to see what Nuno’s style can do. The only area I would suggest we need to improve is our finishing as we don’t make the most of our chances

Nige100

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno came to the Club with a style, drilled it into the players immediately and has signed players that are up for it.

Every single player is 100% behind him and believes in him, hence why we are a good, strong team. Those few who maybe haven't bought into Nuno's style or got fed up of him have been moved on.

When Nuno departs it'll be because he's been given an offer he can't refuse. Not the next time we go six games without a win and the Twitter lot think we can do better.

When that time comes, we have to hope he's made the Club attractive enough for a superb coach to replace him, or it could all go pear-shaped quite quickly.

IMO, of course.

Top post Sir.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

IMO, of course.
i hope his next offer is his pension.:D

Mark Rankines Lovechild

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

IMO, of course.

Bang on the money.
This is where the Man United's of the world go wrong... they think buying big name players / employing big name managers will bring success. It’s buying the right players to play the system that you all buy into that matters.

The above is why I believe Nuno will stay for some time as he also realises that the big clubs won’t accept any time being taken by a manager to develop a team, playing style or ethos...its instant success of the highway.

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
We're growing. Nuno is growing too. Let's just grow together.

To be honest given that much as we love our club we are a provincial side with limitations on income I can't imagine we'll ever be too big for him. He's perfect for us, I wonder how he'd cope with some of the real big time charlies.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another question is how good are we? For example most would agree man united are currently poor but they are still above us. Many would say a lot of our players would get into their team including the manager so why are we behind them in the league. I’m probably being over ambitious considering how far we’ve come in such a short time but feel the questions are relevant.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
I’m afraid the other way, that Nuno is going to outgrow the club. If we finish 4th or 5th this season, or get to the Europa League Final, he will be offered a position at a bigger club than us soon- possibly next season. It is what it is.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Clubs, teams, managers, staff all evolve
At some point Nuno will go thats a fact,we will hopefully be established enough to replace him with an equally talented successor
People say he is too defensive minded,but he has put together one of the most exciting forward lines in the league
The one problem we do have is getting bodies in the box ,and taking our chances
Im sure as we progress that will be sorted too
We are privileged to have him right now,and i hope for many seasons to come

crocos

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I think it's a bit of a myth that we don't take the game to the opposition - at home this season, we've been doing just that. Maybe not continuously, but plenty of it on show I'd say. And we often used to overwhelm teams in the Championship by taking the game to them and crushing the life out of them.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There are aspects of Nuno's approach that will need to change for him to manage an elite club, whether that's staying with us or moving on.

He likes to coach and develop players, at the top top level it's more often about signing ready-made players and then keeping them happy.

He likes to have a tiny squad, rather than worry about rotation and keeping several fringe players involved. Elite clubs have larger squads and many more egos to manage.

For Nuno to reach the next level, he needs to prove he can manage a squad where a Raul and a Cutrone can co-exist. He's not there yet, but clearly he has the intelligence and the work ethic to want to progress. Hopefully that happens with us. The thing that's needed for us to reach the next level - a deeper, more flexible squad that can compete on multiple fronts- is the same thing he needs to prove he's ready. So if he progresses, so do we.

Wolfman jack

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Loving our football at the moment . If i had one minor gripe, its that we dont get enough shots away on target. But hey when youve been watching wolves for 50 years , I have nothing really to complain about.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I genuinely think Nuno will only leave when he is asked to. He is part and parcel of the project here and as long as he is flexible enough as we grow into a bonafida top 6 team and can manage the next level of players there's no reason why he shouldn't be here for years.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think Nuno will move on in the next 2 years, to become Portugals national coach. With his family still at home, the daily grind may become too much.

I'm not sure he'd take another job in England, maybe Madrid, but he would need to win something here 1st.

If the national job was offered, he'd leave with his head high an I'd be delighted for him.

V

vinho tinto

I think Nuno will move on in the next 2 years, to become Portugals national coach. With his family still at home, the daily grind may become too much.

I'm not sure he'd take another job in England, maybe Madrid, but he would need to win something here 1st.

If the national job was offered, he'd leave with his head high an I'd be delighted for him.
The way our recruitment is going I think he'll be able manage the Portuguese national squad without leaving

Last edited by a moderator:
S

ShropshireLad

Does anyone think we will ever outgrow nuno? Everyone knows he is a cautious manager (not a dig) but if we continue to progress we will be expected to take games to the opposition instead of playing on the counter. Is our style of play down to our quality and playing to our strengths or is it just nuno’s style?
This is In no way a bashing thread because I think he is the best thing since sliced bread but I’m just interested in people opinions. Will we get to a point where he has taken us as far as he can and we require a manager with a different approach or will nuno adapt when we begin to spend serious money?
Just about every manager either gets headhunted or gets the sack. Fergusson was an exception.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Interesting topic.
I have wondered all season if we had been more adventurous would we have turned some draws into wins.
I personally think until Nuno is able to show his team can take the game to the opposition consistently I don't think he would get a top top job.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno turned 46 yesterday. If he carries on in football management till, say, his mid-60s, it's very unlikely he'll still be at Wolves. Managers who stay 20 years or more at the same club are extremely rare. SAF is the only one I can think of who has, off the top of my head. The bigger question is whether FOSUN will continue to be our owners, as they, ultimately, will decide on who manages the club when Nuno finally departs (as he surely will).

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Another question is how good are we? For example most would agree man united are currently poor but they are still above us. Many would say a lot of our players would get into their team including the manager so why are we behind them in the league. I’m probably being over ambitious considering how far we’ve come in such a short time but feel the questions are relevant.
It’s a good point this. We’ve come a long way, but there is still a long way to go too.

Some tough decisions will need to be made on certain players if we’re to break the top 4, and likewise I think Nuno will need to learn to cope with a bigger squad. It’s plain to see some of them are looking close to burned out in some games lately.

Pagey

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno turned 46 yesterday. If he carries on in football management till, say, his mid-60s, it's very unlikely he'll still be at Wolves. Managers who stay 20 years or more at the same club are extremely rare. SAF is the only one I can think of who has, off the top of my head. The bigger question is whether FOSUN will continue to be our owners, as they, ultimately, will decide on who manages the club when Nuno finally departs (as he surely will).
Wenger

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not convinced Fosun are not easing back. The Chinese leader said concentrate on internal markets. With no news on the stadium and an almost neutral January this leads me to think the instruction is being carried out.
If Nuno does not feel he has the backing to progress to the top 4 he will be off. What he values most imo is honesty and he really sounded like he expected more ready players when asked about the transfer window. If he doesn't see the investment the deal is broken and he has no reason to stay.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he is here to complete the project and we have a long way to go. If he was to go, I think Atletico Madrid would be a distinct possibility, because Simeone is not having a good season and also Atletico Madrid have many connections With Mendes.
Like I said, Nuno is here for a good while yet.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Will Nuno outgrow the club?That is the real question.
We have a superb manager who I would like to see staying another10 years. Fosun need to.match his ambitions step by step. Stability and steady evolution is the way under Nuno.
Even now on our day we can match any team in the country - even Liverpool who were very lucky to narrowly beat us twice this season. That is a tremendous achievement in such a short time by Nuno and his staff. But we cannot afford to stand still if we want to keep him. This has to be a very proactive summer in the transfer market for senior players.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It wouldn't surprise me that now the transfer window is out of the way Shi, Santo and Mendes will be sitting down and sorting out a new contract. I believe his current one ends in 2021.

oldgoldheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I started in 1970. since then the best manager we have had by a mile is Nuno. I hope that by the time he goes we can attract a top replacement. they would have to go some to get more out of this squad though

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If Nuno leaves, he would have to take at least seven Wolves players in order to hit the ground running. Can you imagine how long it would take for him to drill that Man United squad into shape?

They wouldn't want to play for him any more than they want to play for United. Too many of them simply play for themselves and take the financial benefits that come with playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

I can't see any massive club taking Nuno on. Klopp, Mourinho, Pep, Zidane, have the pick of the massive clubs and that isn't going to change for a long time.

So who does that leave, club wise, that could turn Nuno's head?

SingYourHeartsOut

"Its less confusing with a smaller brain"
Reaction score
Nuno is apparently having a house built in the area

chill people

Ha ha how very Nuno.

Which house would you like Nuno?
No, no I don't want a ready built house, give me some bricks, I've got a plan, I'll build the house the way I want it. It will be my house, built on my principles.

D

Deleted member 4152

Ha ha how very Nuno.

Which house would you like Nuno?
No, no I don't want a ready built house, give me some bricks, I've got a plan, I'll build the house the way I want it. It will be my house, built on my principles.
Tough, very tough. but we learn from todays building and try to be better builders. it's tough.

I don't want to talk about when the house will be finished. We just focus on the next brick.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One brick at a time gotta love our Nuno
wonder if his family are coming over

Back
Top Bottom