Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pretty woeful goals/total shots stats over recent games

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Before pouring a large drink to drown my sorrows, I had a quick look at the headline stats for our last four league defeats. Thought it was quite interesting so I've shared

Wolves: total shots = 57, shots on target = 12, goals = 2
Opponents: total shots = 27, shots on target = 10, goals = 6

While you could argue we've had some bad luck to lose by the odd goal in each game, you generally make your own luck.

A few things jump out

* While we've had quite a lot of total shots, the proportion of total shots actually on target has been woeful. At Birmingham I lost count of the number of half chances we managed to put off target. Didn't go today but interested if it was same-same again.

* The proportion of shots on target resulting in goals has also been really poor.

* Our opponents have scored over 50% of their shots on target

* Our opponents have averaged less than 7 total shots per game, which is well below average

K

KingOfMilwaukee

Interesting.

Wow, we have more shots on goal than our opposition the last 4 matches? :eek:

Question... Do you think the poor shots on goal to shots attempted shows a midfield issue?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must say I'm surprised we're averaging over 14 shots a game though we'd all have put serious money on the low 'shots on target' percentage :oops:

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Shots mean ****s if you don't score them. Doesn't help when you don't have a striker.

those were the days

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Interesting.

Wow, we have more shots on goal than our opposition the last 4 matches? :eek:

Question... Do you think the poor shots on goal to shots attempted shows a midfield issue?

Possibly. I think it shows we don't create good chances and we're also putting lots of half-chances wide/over. So a combination of being not clinical up front and lacking creativity in midfield.

Aside from what the stats over 4 games show, it's pretty obvious to me that a huge part of the problem is in central midfield. Quite how we still haven't replaced McDonald is incredible. Our current central midfield is one of the least creative I can remember in over 30 years!

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it shows Ikemes great display at Stoke was the exception not the rule. I hate goalkeepers not even diving, that second goal today was hardly a rocket, and Davis goal was save able I thought

D

Deleted member 3518

I think it shows Ikemes great display at Stoke was the exception not the rule. I hate goalkeepers not even diving, that second goal today was hardly a rocket, and Davis goal was save able I thought

Definitely needs replacing.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
Haven't we scored just 3 goals in these 6 defeats one of which was a penalty ?

D

Deleted member 4257

So Dave is creating chances but forwards aren't scoring?

W

WolfOfWellington

Totally agree regarding the attacking stats being very poor.

The number of shots vs on target is tragic. Referencing the Birmingham game alone we had 19 shots in total with 2 on target. Frankly pathetic.

Away from the stats - I don't know how Saville earned a start today, he must be absolutely amazing in training. Or maybe he's the only understands PL's mumbling Scottish accent. After his display in that same Birmingham game I referenced above, I honestly don't know how he got a start today. Let alone as left back. Ridiculous.

Ikeme has been dire since picking up his red at Norwich. No two ways about it. We've certainly been woeful since he came back into the side. But it's not one man's fault, he has however directly cost us points this season on more than one ocassion.

I was fairly calm earlier ignoring the earlier efforts of today. It was bliss. But now I've had a couple, I'm livid again.

The only ounce of comfort of have is that we have 2 games in hand over 5 of the bottom 7 teams and still a better GD than all of these. But we gotta make those count to leap frog them all. That's all I have to cling onto.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don't create really good chances, especially in home games. We don't bombard teams with pressure. This has been the case for two years now and nothing is changing. Same old certain players are shoe ins and is it any wonder we are where we are when select limited central midfield players and give them nice new contracts,buy a full back from Blackburn and play him on the left wing, Saville at left back, non scoring strikers and no one signed in January to replace them. The club too nice and cosy and has been for far too long. Mass shake up needed whatever happens this season and let us all hope that we can stay up in what has been yet another dreadful season.

Back
Top Bottom