Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Premier league money

Wolfion

Reaction score
With all the talk of transfers and the sell before you buy philosophy. I have become curious of what happens to this money.

I do not know the numbers but I have always thought the moneys received by clubs for the TV rights at home and abroad are significant. Hence why it is the holy grail from an owners perspective to get promotion.

This is not intended as an anti Fosun thread, but I am curious to know what this money is spent on as it is clearly not on player transfers.

Does anyone who has read the accounts in more detail know where this goes. I suspect wages and maybe the academy, but is there anything else this goes to?

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think any detailed analysis of where the money goes in football - for any top flight club - would probably make a regular person's brain shrivel up and die. Player wages, agent fees, superfluous marketing budgets. Black holes everywhere. There are players barely on the fringes of the squad, who will probably never, ever play a first team game, earning £5k+ a week, a cool quarter of a million a year. It's why people get so upset about ticket prices rises, it's the equivalent of a gnat on an elephant's **** in the flow of incomings and outgoings.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Which is why the self sustainable model is an aboslute myth.

It is a myth in the sense that we aren't generating enough income to sustain ourselves, most of it comes from the Premier League.

Lose that income source, by dropping out the league or the TV deal blowing up, and we're far from self sustaining.

Last edited:

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That may be true but what can we do about it?
There are 2 possible solutions...

1 All club owners throughout the land, under the support of Fifa, come together be they Chinese, Saudi, American, Greek, Spanish, German, British and unilaterally agree to index link current salary levels on all future contract negotiations to a workable level and ride out any action by the over paid players together, united in the cause. And the clubs put a modest percentage of their savings back into grass roots development, support funds for lower tier clubs, the levelling of the playing field for purer competition and reduce ticket prices and TV subscription prices for supporters so that the game can be affordably enjoyed and watched by all.
Or
2 The clubs pool together to develop a space program and fly to far off galaxies to entice lizard like aliens to take up the game and play for them. The lizards would of course probe the brains of the current players to gain the requisite football knowledge and skillset.

Both options are equally achievable and likely.

Wignall 3-0

Groupie
Reaction score
When Bruno won manager of the month he dedicated it to all the staff and back room teams. There was a photo of the group at the Compton training facility. I think there were 30 or 40 people in the photo. Leaving aside match day staff, I would guess Wolves employ at least 100 people, additionally about 50 or 60 players? Does anyone have more accurate stats?

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

1 All club owners throughout the land, under the support of Fifa, come together be they Chinese, Saudi, American, Greek, Spanish, German, British and unilaterally agree to index link current salary levels on all future contract negotiations to a workable level and ride out any action by the over paid players together, united in the cause. And the clubs put a modest percentage of their savings back into grass roots development, support funds for lower tier clubs, the levelling of the playing field for purer competition and reduce ticket prices and TV subscription prices for supporters so that the game can be affordably enjoyed and watched by all.
Or
2 The clubs pool together to develop a space program and fly to far off galaxies to entice lizard like aliens to take up the game and play for them. The lizards would of course probe the brains of the current players to gain the requisite football knowledge and skillset.

Re your first option good luck in getting the US (and very possibly EU) Courts to agree that lol...
Re your second option they wouldn't get a UK work permit lol....

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Or

Think option 2 is more credible.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Are players paid too much? It’s them people come to or switch on the TV to see.

If they’re only taking 70% of income, an agent acting in their interest might ask where the rest is going?

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

If they’re only taking 70% of income, an agent acting in their interest might ask where the rest is going?
They are the stars for sure and deserve to be well paid as they clearly are but there aren’t too many businesses that spend 70% of their turnover on staff wages I would suggest. Be nice if they did!

Mr Sizzle

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Many of those which do are also In the entertainment field.
True but even when you see the crazy money some film stars earn, look at the gross revenue the film generates - its often a more healthy relationship than footballers.. it’s just so frustrating as it’s the fans that end up paying to fund it !!! Some of the biggest and most successful clubs in world with huge turnovers like Barca and real and they end up losing money because of crazy salaries.. just a ridiculous situation ..

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Players are paid what the market dictates.

Never hear this said about Old Etonian actors earning quarter of a million for a movie. Just lad born on a council estate whose done well.

rincewind

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a myth in the sense that we aren't generating enough income to sustain ourselves, most of it comes from the Premier League.

Lose that income source, by dropping out the league or the TV deal blowing up, and we're far from self sustaining.
That applies to every Premier league club though.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

While I agree to a point, let’s not forget the whole debate about Molineux and the facilities and services people expect when watching football live. Spurs spent roughly a billion on their stadium, Chelsea have earmarked similar to rebuild theirs, Everton half a billion, Liverpool hundreds of millions, teams like City and West Ham have benefited from hundreds of millions in public money to build their stadiums, and so on. If almost all the income is tied up buying and paying the playing squad, there is precious little to build and operate the stadiums, training facilities and all the other aspects of the club.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we have stripped close to or over 100k a week off the wage bill already with marcal , saiss , ruddy off the books , vinagre leaving ( presume we were paying some of his wages ) and trincao …

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we have stripped close to or over 100k a week off the wage bill already with marcal , saiss , ruddy off the books , vinagre leaving ( presume we were paying some of his wages ) and trincao …
£200k if we don’t give Mouts a new contract.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Should be plenty of wage bill flex, imagine Nuno pay off will come off the books as well and that was a pretty penny indeed

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
With all the talk of transfers and the sell before you buy philosophy. I have become curious of what happens to this money.

I do not know the numbers but I have always thought the moneys received by clubs for the TV rights at home and abroad are significant. Hence why it is the holy grail from an owners perspective to get promotion.

This is not intended as an anti Fosun thread, but I am curious to know what this money is spent on as it is clearly not on player transfers.

Does anyone who has read the accounts in more detail know where this goes. I suspect wages and maybe the academy, but is there anything else this goes to?
220px-Jorge_Mendes_-_Globe_Soccer_Awards_2013.jpg

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You know when you get paid, and your money has gone before you've had chance to see it? That's basically it!

As Wolfling said, about 71% of our income goes on wages, and there's also amortisation costs (the way that transfer fees paid go into the books, the transfer fee of any player you’ve ever bought that's still at the club is still draining your finances), which were around £62m last year. So that's the majority of the money gone before you've even paid to put a game on. For a club our size, we're pretty much operating at maximum capacity, this is why we need to be a bigger club bringing in more money and as that's a while away, the only way we can bring in the money required to fund deals is to sell players.

As long as we can constantly make decent money on players it can work quite well, you sell one for good money and reinvest in two or three, and hope a couple of those are also a success. But what we cannot afford to do in the slightest is allow valuable players to run their contracts down and lose them for nothing

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is the other 29% spent on ? Approx 58 million.

Well in the pre-pandemic accounts we made £19m profit.

It just goes to show if you keep tight control of your costs it is possible that a club our side can make some money to plough back into players. £20m is not a lot but its a couple of good youngsters or one MGW standard championship player.

When it's couple with a great academy you can survive in the prem, but you can't allow players to run down their contract like Adama and possibly Neves is doing now. That breaks the self-sufficiency model at a fairly fundamental level.

The problem comes when you can't or won't meet players wage demands to resign (Adama) or there is not market at the time you need to cash in (Neves).

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What is the other 29% spent on ? Approx 58 million.
Well £62m went on amortisation costs so that's that covered

When you look at the numbers associated with running a football club it's frightening and even an income of some £200m could get swallowed up pretty easily without spaffing millions on players

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Match days costs; marketing; transfer amortisation costs; ground/training ground; and lots of other stuff to I expect
And what's merchandising and match day profits spent on?

100% of TV money is not spent on ticking over. There are modest profits all things considered, so chunks of change for player transfers are available.

The sell to buy policy has more to do with creating room in the wage budget I would think. The fact Ruddy, Trincao, Saïss, Marçal and atm Moutinho are off the wage bill means we have some wiggle room. Probably around £250k per week

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It depends on how you see the reason for having or being a football club.

Is it run for the benefit of the players? To make them rich, pay them loads whether they do well or not?
Or for the benefit of the owners, to extract profits, enhance their business worth and reward their risk?
Or for the benefit of the fans and community, to provide an entertainment, give a social identity and a belonging?

I would say a club exists for all of those reasons (and more).

Unfortunately, the degree of importance in all those categories has become very skewed, certainly in the Premier league.

Imagine if the players had 30% and 70% went to the other areas....would the players be visiting food banks to get by? Would the wags be shopping at Primark?

Back
Top Bottom