Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Predict one change or innovation in football 10 years from now

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The National league will become part of the football league, merging with League’s one and two. They will be split into three regional leagues. The winner of each regional league will get promoted to the championship. There will also be play off games to determine who else gets promoted.

Wolvescol

Groupie
Reaction score
Liverpool will play the victims after they finally concede a penalty at anfield

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Vanorama National League will become ‘League Three’ of the Football League due to most of the teams being full time.

The Play Offs will be extended down to teams finishing 12th, with a mini league format to decide the two finalists. Thus helping prevent pitch invasions.

As above, MK Dons will become MK City.

Drinks breaks at the midway point during each half will be as standard, even during winter.

The U23s league will get more prominence and TV air time… ‘ie, support your teams youngsters’
Like the last one! I have enjoyed the live streams of our U23's. Hope we continue to get them, pending any increased coverage such as you envisage. I will be curious to see how the reduction in loans allowed and the increase in Premier League substitutes effects the U23 squad. I seem to recall there is a change in maximum age rules in the offing as well.

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm not sure about 90 minutes football. The match from start to finish would probably be two and a half hours. Think it's more likely to go to 2 x 30 mins with the clock stopped whenever the ball is dead. Can't see anything against it really. That and the strict interpretation of the 6 second goalkeeping rule would eliminate time wasting immediately.
A reduction to 40m each way should do the trick, provided you had an independent time keeper and some referees who were prepared to enforce the rules - for all teams equally.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The National league will become part of the football league, merging with League’s one and two. They will be split into three regional leagues. The winner of each regional league will get promoted to the championship. There will also be play off games to determine who else gets promoted.
That would be sensible. While, given our own sojourn in the lower Leagues, l am hesitant to say this l can't help but question if maintaining the current number of clubs in the League is sustainable though.

The Runner

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
A reduction to 40m each way should do the trick, provided you had an independent time keeper and some referees who were prepared to enforce the rules - for all teams equally.
You'd have a timekeeper as in Basketball with the clock stopping whenever the ball is dead. I would imagine you'd also have a time clock on all stands clearly visible to all players/spectators. I think the ball is currently in play for between 55 and 60 minutes so to preserve the current match timescale of about 1 hour 50 mins I think 30 each way is more likely.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know what I think could do with changing. Not sure that those in charge will bother though.

Agree with those here that time wasting has become an issue that can't be ignored much longer. Fairly simple to solve too and probably should have been done decades ago. No new tech required - a stopwatch will do, just as is used in most other comparable sports. Scrap injury time, just stop the watch when play stops. The details need to be ironed out. Perhaps cut the game down to 40 minute halves, possibly even 35 minutes as 70 real minutes is still more actual football than those lazy slackers have been churning out for decades! Also, exactly when to stop the watch.

I'd like to see changes to make the top levels more competitive, however, the domination by about 12 European clubs is probably seen as "working as intended" so if anything, any changes will entrench their cartel even more. The Super League isn't going to go away, though sometimes it looks like it would be better if those Sky 6 did all go away.

Japan Wulf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
No heading -- a racing certainty, I'd say
I was wondering if some kind of compulsory head protection would be introduced. Not sure about the feasibility or practicality but maybe something akin to the one Petr Cech used to wear - though hopefully more visually appealing.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I was wondering if some kind of compulsory head protection would be introduced. Not sure about the feasibility or practicality but maybe something akin to the one Petr Cech used to wear - though hopefully more visually appealing.
Petr Cech was, admittedly, no oil painting but that's a bit harsh

NewarkWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Game over then!
May as well ban the Isle of man TT then as riders die there each year.

Heading is part of the game, the balls are so light nowadays it's not the long lasting impact of days gone by.

No heading, might as well just say ball not above head height.

Tarcisio Mifsud

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel there is an anomaly here. A player gets injured and the medical staff come on the pitch. When he is declared healthy he is asked to go on the touch line, while the player who made the foul and may even get a yellow card, stays on the pitch. I find this rule rediculous.

Jefe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I predict there won't be any innovations - just irritations that further slow down, Americanise and otherwise make millions fall out of love with the game. Don't be surprised to see 11 rolling subs and multiple breaks through each half (sponsored, natch). There will be an overwhelming amount of fixtures by way of distending European / international tournaments even further; teams without two quality starting XIs will have no hope of successfully navigating the schedule. There could be a 5-a-side style overhead rule that effectively bans heading (and creates even more sponsored stoppages in play). Studies will reveal the ball is live for less than half of the 90 minutes on average.

The hegemony of the Cretinous 6 will be strengthened through evermore exclusionary FFP measures under the guise of financial vigilance, all the while as they seek to undermine the competition with their ongoing threats and shenanigans. The traditions of the FA Cup will be eroded to the point that it's entirely midweek, with no replays and its Europa league finish is awarded to the league, effectively making it an U23 tournament.

Last edited:

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
10 minute Sin-bin for cynical fouls.
This for me is long overdue. Those cynical, counter-atrack stopping fouls that seem more than a yellow but not enough for a red. Personally think it would be a good thing.

I think there could (oelr should) also be more retrospective punishment and also the referee/var being held more accountable

Glass ankles

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Penalising fouls and diving post game

Abolishing extra time with games going straight to pens in tournaments

Offside technology - similar to goal line technology

Salary + transfer fee caps

Alignment of transfer deadline day to be x weeks before season starts

Mike Dean comes out of retirement

Eastyorksyeltz

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Penalising fouls and diving post game

Abolishing extra time with games going straight to pens in tournaments

Offside technology - similar to goal line technology

Salary + transfer fee caps

Alignment of transfer deadline day to be x weeks before season starts

Mike Dean comes out of retirement
Although I know what you meant and agree with the first one, I still got a picture in my head of post match mayhem becoming a thing. Hacks, slide tackles and punches exchanged in the tunnel, with an accompanying rash of blatant simulation, feints and dives as players and coaches attempt to shake hands following the final whistle. "Action required, we need more post game discipline!"

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
90 minutes of actual football. Clock will stop as soon as ball is out of play and start again. Free kicks against goalkeepers who control the ball with hands for more that the 7 seconds in the rule book

It's already part of it.

The ball is supposed to be active for 30mins per half, I think.

freezin

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Minutes, even seconds, will be available to sponsor or buy, to public or organisations.

Meaning they'll have the exclusive right to use that period action (or inaction) however they wish. Think NFTs.

Holographic match broadcasts. You watch the whole game on something like a table tennis table or mat on the floor at home.

TV season tickets - self explanatory and inevitable considering the proliferation of options available via IPTV.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football will become a none contact sport - Americans will insist its renamed soccer ;)
Not so sure. I think it will become a little more violent, with players wearing protective headgear.

They may also make the ball a bit smaller, and allow players to handle it, to make it more like the NFL.

Something like thus perhaps...

811r0aTJH3L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not so sure. I think it will become a little more violent, with players wearing protective headgear.

They may also make the ball a bit smaller, and allow players to handle it, to make it more like the NFL.

Something like thus perhaps...

View attachment 28267
If beats VAR infested joy killing and is abit more honest in its objectives - bread and circuses.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A sky sports super league for the top 6 just to jizz over each other and play each other 10 times a season all over the world
Leaving the real football to everyone else.

RosehillWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A penalty kick will be replaced with an ice hockey version where the taker has to run at the keeper from half way line and only gets one shot at goal

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
The football bubble will burst and its global popularity will be overtaken by eSports.
Crowds will visit stadiums and watch two kids sitting on chairs in the centre circle play FIFA on the big screens.
It's the future.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t see anything about it needing to be a benefit in the OP
But to answer your question it would be far more entertaining than the dull single strike from 12 yards
I agree about the entertainment but it would actually be less beneficial to the attacking team and would encourage defenders to commit more fouls in the box.

Wandsworth Wolf

Reaction score
The offside rule:

Offside should be determined by the position of the player's feet.
Not their elbow or shoulder or forehead.
Their feet.
Makes it simple to enforce and makes it less ambiguous.
It also favours the attacking team
(Currently, if you are running forward, you are more likely to have a knee or an arm forward, therefore losing out on the marginal calls)

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The offside rule:

Offside should be determined by the position of the player's feet.
Not their elbow or shoulder or forehead.
Their feet.
Makes it simple to enforce and makes it less ambiguous.
It also favours the attacking team
(Currently, if you are running forward, you are more likely to have a knee or an arm forward, therefore losing out on the marginal calls)

Totally agree. People tend to focus so much on detail, they forgot what the overall purpose of the rule is. Offside is to stop goalhanging. Not disallowing goals because a player has a shoulder or knee a few millimeters ahead of the last defender. I'd like it to be that if any part of the attacker is in line with the defender, the goal stands. Keep in mind, that in no way will encourage goal hanging. It will encourage more goals in open play, which we need.

This links to another issue, the decline of goals in open play and an increase in penalties, especially penalties that turn the game (i.e. equalise or put a team in the lead). If you look at where an attacker was when he won the penalty, he's often in a not dangerous position. Out be the corner of the area, with defenders around. Yet they get a chance at an almost certain goal, simply be falling over convincingly after the slightest contact. Yet some of the greatest goals of alltime would now be ruled out because a players shoulder was a millimeter ahead of the last defender. It's all upside down! At this rate, in 5 years, the game will be renamed "Penaltyball". Making the penalty area smaller would be a good change, I reckon. 12 yards all round instead of 18. Would discourage a lot of the horrendous play acting.

Maybe they like it this way as it's easier to ensure the "correct" team wins under the current interpretations?

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
2 30 minute halves (clock stopped when not in play).

Back
Top Bottom