Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pre Season Summer 2022 (Not USA)

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why america? Are we getting american investment or buying a friendly farm club?

We already have American investment ("minority stake from October 2021) and partnerships (Chicago City), so it would be in part meeting commitments and/or expanding those opportunities

Plus the commercial benefits that might come from being present in America.

re: timing - Man City have just announced their America tour playing Club America in Houston and "another game to be announced next week"

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
Why america? Are we getting american investment or buying a friendly farm club?
There will be other reasons but I think one is to market the club in the USA to help increase our growing fanbase there.
Members from 18 Official Worldwide Wolves USA branches have been invited to a venue in Chicago for a Wolves v Norwich watch and other events that weekend.

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Surely we should play in at least one pre-season tournament in Portugal one year? At least we must be known to a sizeable percentage of the population there.

If Wolves really want to market the club there they should bring in at least one talented US player for the first team, not believe that playing a friendly will change anything of note as regards awareness of the club.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Surely we should play in at least one pre-season tournament in Portugal one year? At least we must be known to a sizeable percentage of the population there.

If Wolves really want to market the club there they should bring in at least one talented US player for the first team, not believe that playing a friendly will change anything of note as regards awareness of the club.
It's about corporate USA.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
"We'll never win that, we'll never win that, Ohio Cup, we'll never win that."

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Well both Stoke and Bolton did pre-seasons in the US not so long back, just look at how they benefited :)

Ercall Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the express and star today that Wolves still intend going to USA for pre season games and that announcements of fixtures will be in the next couple of weeks
Really hope they announce teams, venues and dates asap please for those who want to go
I’m in for definite as long as we are back by 23 July( fly out on holiday that day)
Anyone know of any rumours

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the express and star today that Wolves still intend going to USA for pre season games and that announcements of fixtures will be in the next couple of weeks
Really hope they announce teams, venues and dates asap please for those who want to go
I’m in for definite as long as we are back by 23 July( fly out on holiday that day)
Anyone know of any rumours
I was definitely going to go....the tournament with Newcastle, Villarreal n Valencia would have been great ...not sure what calibre of team we will be able to get at short notice....won't have the appeal for me if it's lesser teams .....

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
****ing hell. I'm sure this isn't Wolves fault. I bet there was a ton of prep work before hand for the USA side to just **** on their chips.
Marbella it is then!
wolves don't have a big market in the US. if you're not liverpool, manutd, or arsenal.....stay home.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Obviously not the clubs fault, but some positive news would be great.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Someone told me at the club we are gonna struggle for a home freindly this summer.....as the top layer of the pitch needs the come off and be relayed...... obviously can't be done till after the England game has finished......short turn around this summer, may rule any home friendlies out......

Sorry to continue the doom n gloom..

Last edited:
D

Deleted member drgr12429

Someone told me at the club we are gonna struggle for a home freindly this summer.....as the top layer of the pitch needs the come off and be relayed...... obviously can't be done till after the England game has finished......short turn round be this summer, may rule any home friendlies out......

Sorry to continue the doom n gloom..
Next thing will be Doris the tea lady's cat has died.. :oops:

marrs-guitar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They want one though, which was the reason for heading there. We are part owned by an american company. Small stake but still..
Playing a friendly once a year in one city won't do much to increase the popularity of the club though, particularly if the main draw of the game is the opponent and not us.

It's having a successful club that wins things or at least competes for things that attracts fans with no connection to the club to be interested. The shortcut is signing a player of that nationality - the route that they've become only too aware of via Jimenez, and now going rather gaga over by buying Hwang.

If Wolves can't reach the upper echelons of the league, then they need to try and find a US national team player to sign if they are serious about developing their profile over there. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many on the Mendes carousel.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

Playing a friendly once a year in one city won't do much to increase the popularity of the club though, particularly if the main draw of the game is the opponent and not us.

It's having a successful club that wins things or at least competes for things that attracts fans with no connection to the club to be interested. The shortcut is signing a player of that nationality - the route that they've become only too aware of via Jimenez, and now going rather gaga over by buying Hwang.

If Wolves can't reach the upper echelons of the league, then they need to try and find a US national team player to sign if they are serious about developing their profile over there. Unfortunately, I don't think there are many on the Mendes carousel.
It's more the corporate side they were pitching for. Meeting face to face with investors etc..

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
wolves don't have a big market in the US. if you're not liverpool, manutd, or arsenal.....stay home.
*******s, if that is the case why venture anywhere? I’m hearing Madagascar is ripe as an untapped market.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

True. Fulham have a substantial following in the US due to their Clint Dempsey and Brian McBride days, filled in with a few others.

I'm the Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
*******s, if that is the case why venture anywhere? I’m hearing Madagascar is ripe as an untapped market.
In the US, baseball, the NFL, and the NBA are kings.

they have the MLS, for Christ's sake. What does that tell you about the interest in football there?

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In the US, baseball, the NFL, and the NBA are kings.

they have the MLS, for Christ's sake. What does that tell you about the interest in football there?
Football is growing very well in the US as the demographics of the nation continues to change towards more Hispanic.

Urko

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shambles off the pitch as well.

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m fairly sure it must refer to the viability of the tour rather than the club. As in, the organisers didn’t see a potential for selling enough tickets or attracting sponsorship.
The viability checks would have been done before hand, you don't cancel after arrangements were made on the grounds of viability unless funds suddenly which were accounted for suddenly go.

Back
Top Bottom