Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Pre-match pubs?

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi everyone, apologies in advance for daft question incoming.

I'm finally getting to a match tomorrow, having not been to Molineux since we beat Slovan Bratislava in November 2019, through a combination of the pandemic and becoming a dad to a now-two-year-old with whom I spend most of my non-working hours. Prior to all of that I had a season ticket for several consecutive seasons.

I'm due to get into Wolverhampton tomorrow around 11:45ish from London, and am unsure where is best for a pre-match pint or two. I'm anticipating that most places will be rammed, and I'm mindful that the weather will probably be a bit rubbish.

Could anyone suggest a pub, around the city centre, where I could plausibly get a seat? Is that even a realistic expectation? I have no idea what the pandemic has done in terms of people going to pubs + any reduced capacities in place, but would rather than be trudging from full pub to full pub. Is the Prince Albert still open? Would I even get through the door of the Posada? Plus, I'm going with a non-wolves fan friend, and I would like to showcase our fine city, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hi everyone, apologies in advance for daft question incoming.

I'm finally getting to a match tomorrow, having not been to Molineux since we beat Slovan Bratislava in November 2019, through a combination of the pandemic and becoming a dad to a now-two-year-old with whom I spend most of my non-working hours. Prior to all of that I had a season ticket for several consecutive seasons.

I'm due to get into Wolverhampton tomorrow around 11:45ish from London, and am unsure where is best for a pre-match pint or two. I'm anticipating that most places will be rammed, and I'm mindful that the weather will probably be a bit rubbish.

Could anyone suggest a pub, around the city centre, where I could plausibly get a seat? Is that even a realistic expectation? I have no idea what the pandemic has done in terms of people going to pubs + any reduced capacities in place, but would rather than be trudging from full pub to full pub. Is the Prince Albert still open? Would I even get through the door of the Posada? Plus, I'm going with a non-wolves fan friend, and I would like to showcase our fine city, so any advice is welcome.

Cheers

At 11.45 you might get lucky and get a seat in the Sunbeam which is by the station.

Not the greatest pub, but I find it’s one of the slower ones to fill up.

Peszkywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The pubs look busier from the outside than in, and you'll be fine getting in all of them bar the Hogshead which has done 1 in, 1 out.
Getting a seat i dont fancy your chances anywhere, especially when noone is in the beer gardens. Wheatsheaf back part might have a few seats and it's always an interesting place!! Proper football atmosphere.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Prince Albert is usually quiet, I went in at 12:20 v West Ham and there were still a few seats available.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Prince Albert is usually quiet, I went in at 12:20 v West Ham and there were still a few seats available.
Just to add, I think a lot of people assume the PA is closed as the front entrance is closed. Entrance is via the back and there are bouncers at the gate checking match tickets.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Western? Probably not for a seat though.

MrJamez

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
At 11.45 you might get lucky and get a seat in the Sunbeam which is by the station.

Not the greatest pub, but I find it’s one of the slower ones to fill up.
I agree with above.

Sunbeam will be your best chance of a seat.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What was it like? It's been **** on there for years. But tbf if it's warm, there's standing room and they've got beer it's another option...

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's gotta be old McGhees, tucked away on a quaint little alley and so quiet on a match day you could almost miss it. They'll fetch your pewter tankard and lovingly fill it with one of their good selection of well kept ales. Then pick one of their many comfy chairs or take a booth, with winter closing in though maybe take one by the fire? What's that heavenly aroma? Is it the smell of 70 ****ed-up yam yams drinking Red Stripe and smothered in Lynx Africa? No, it's the sweet smell of the home cooked pub grub and the landlady's lavender perfume.

Plus they play the liquidator.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You'll get a seat anywhere if you're there early enough.

The stile might be a good shout. Take a seat, they have good Polish food, and a very traditional walk to the ground up Molineux Alley.

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
What was it like? It's been **** on there for years. But tbf if it's warm, there's standing room and they've got beer it's another option...
I sometimes go there for a first pint off the train to chill out after my 3 hour journey and before hitting town and the madness that entails. I used to do the Great Western but that’s so much busier since promotion.

The PA is not the best pub, fairly quiet and boring and the beer isn’t great but there’s plenty of space and it’s easy to get a seat.

R

reanswolf

Is the Sunbeam really any good? Looks a bit sterile to me.
Much prefer McGhees, Billy Wright, Duke of York, Old Still, Wheatsheaf especially. Bohs was ok but blasting music too loud is killing it.
Hogs Head is ok, same as Royal London, also Posada, Lych Gates, Moon Under Water, and The Goose.
Stile in Reans is good, so is Great Western by railway station. Price Albert s actually ok and if you want a seat you have better chance there than anywhere else I would have thought.

I wonder if we have a higher % of ****ed-up fans attending the game than any other club?

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Is the Sunbeam really any good? Looks a bit sterile to me.
Much prefer McGhees, Billy Wright, Duke of York, Old Still, Wheatsheaf especially. Bohs was ok but blasting music too loud is killing it.
Hogs Head is ok, same as Royal London, also Posada, Lych Gates, Moon Under Water, and The Goose.
Stile in Reans is good, so is Great Western by railway station. Price Albert s actually ok and if you want a seat you have better chance there than anywhere else I would have thought.

I wonder if we have a higher % of ****ed-up fans attending the game than any other club?
Bang on as per Reans. If you want a few quiet (good) beers a I’d add Chindit, Combermere and Royal Oak in Chapel Ash and Newhampton and Summer House up the Newhampton Road.

When’s the Bagot reopening Reans?

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Copied from a friend :

WOLVERHAMPTON WANDERERS SATURDAY AFTERNOON 3PM KICK OFFS, NEW OPENING HOURS AT THE STARTING GATE,BIRCHES BARN ROAD, PENN FIELDS.
Hi Folks
Some more dates for your diaries.
Now our England Ladies have finally bought it home we should all be feeling proud of English Football again and to celebrate this from Saturday 13th August when the mighty Wolves host Fulham at Molineux in the Premier League, The Starting Gate will be opening 2 hours earlier at 12pm for all Wolves Saturday 3pm home kick offs. This gives fans plenty of time to call in and relax with a couple of our superb Real Ales, Ciders & Lagers which you can soak up with Cobs, Pork Pie, Scotch Egg and all the usual bar snacks, crisps, scratchings etc.
The Starting Gate is an Independent family run, free house dedicated to the quality of the drinks supplied in our friendly laid back atmosphere and we are looking forward to welcoming both home and away supporters.
We are situated 1.7 miles from Molineux, around a 7 minute taxi journey, there is also a regular bus route from just outside the bar which runs around every 15 minutes and is roughly a 10 minute ride to the town centre and a 10 minute walk to the ground. For the really healthy ones among you I'm told 1.7 miles is roughly 30 minutes to walk (though that's not in my world
1f603.png
)
As of this moment, listed below are the following dates for 2022 where Wolves will kick off at 3pm (though a couple may get moved by television), if this happens I'll update on here as soon as possible.
13th August Fulham
3rd September Southampton
15th October Nottingham Forest
22nd October Leicester
5th November Brighton
12th November Arsenal
Look forward to seeing some old friends and hopefully making new one's from around the country.

Minimalist

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve heard it said the slug and lettuce is fairly quite pre match (probably as its expensive and a bit “trendy “?) I get the impression you’d get a seat there if that is very important.
I’ve only been in after an evening match and it was dead!

W

WasStefan

I’ve heard it said the slug and lettuce is fairly quite pre match (probably as its expensive and a bit “trendy “?) I get the impression you’d get a seat there if that is very important.
Used to be rammed when it was Yates’, they ruined that place

W

WasStefan

I hear the Dog N Doublet is currently closed, apparently getting a refurb
Much needed, only been in there once as part of a night out, some lad had been out all day to watch the game and got lamped by some big ****er. Knocked his teeth all over the bar. An experience to say the least

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Haven't been to the Mol for a couple of years but we used to go to the Goose. Good food and seating.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Rough these days, very rough

Depends what you mean by rough. It certainly aint full of shifty eyed types looking you up and down and sparing for a duel.

It's not my favourite in town tbh, but the ale price isn't bad, although I don't appreciate the quid "hike up" around noon for the same pint, just because its a match day !

Plenty of good ale houses about so never short of a beverage stop.

W

WasStefan

Depends what you mean by rough. It certainly aint full of shifty eyed types looking you up and down and sparing for a duel.

It's not my favourite in town tbh, but the ale price isn't bad, although I don't appreciate the quid "hike up" around noon for the same pint, just because its a match day !

Plenty of good ale houses about so never short of a beverage stop.
Yeah agree, booze is cheap which is the main draw. No beer garden massive downside tho. It was a lot better 3 or 4 years ago

Plenty of good pubs round town tho, the only real draw the town centre has

LINT70

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I hear the Dog N Doublet is currently closed, apparently getting a refurb
I think next door - the north street social Is also closed - might be to do with the road and pavement right outside all ripped up - as usual for most projects in Wolvo - delayed as think they found a Japanese POW camp underneath there or something like that

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah agree, booze is cheap which is the main draw. No beer garden massive downside tho. It was a lot better 3 or 4 years ago

Plenty of good pubs round town tho, the only real draw the town centre has
Yes, Wolvo is fantastic for pubs and is a big reason for me going to games and also the reason why I’d stop going to games if we moved to an out of town ground.

Last season I started counting the pubs and bars within a 15 minute walk of the ground and I think I got up to 30. It makes me laugh that we only give away supporters the Blue Brick :D

Sideshow Bob

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Last season I started counting the pubs and bars within a 15 minute walk of the ground and I think I got up to 30.
At most away grounds I'll look into pubs a 15/20 min walk away. You can always more often than not find somewhere fairly welcoming with decent beer. After a few years we even sometimes bump into the same home fans each time and end up swapping moans over a beer.

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
I think next door - the north street social Is also closed - might be to do with the road and pavement right outside all ripped up - as usual for most projects in Wolvo - delayed as think they found a Japanese POW camp underneath there or something like that
Wolverhampton Council seem to spend their week wandering around like some little child looking for a place they haven’t dug up yet.

Can’t believe they finished the Golden path way across the Ring Road then closed off North St forcing everyone to walk round and under the Subway!!

They are a bunch of incompetents.

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

It’s remarkably quiet, more so since Covid, but was still pretty quiet then.

Can often find at least a stool area even up to 2pm.

Food was poor there though, only eaten once and wouldn’t do it again. Decent enough choices of lager on tap too.

Not my preferred type of pre-match boozer, but if you’re looking for a place to get served quickly it does the job.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Great Western. Great beer (including the fabled Batham's), fair prices, decent beer garden, and ghostly steam trains puffing away in the memory!

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Great Western. Great beer (including the fabled Batham's), fair prices, decent beer garden, and ghostly steam trains puffing away in the memory!
Why has this never occurred to me before? Now, thinking about where the GW is in relation to the low level station, trains on the low level track must have passed very close to the pub? And of course the high level track is only a matter of yards away too.

I love the GW and nearly always pop in when I get the train in for the games. Whilst the Batham’s is great I prefer the Golden Glow which is one of my favourite beers.

Edit to add that I now realise the tracks would have been the other side of the station, so further away from the pub.

Last edited:

19th Holer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope the beer is better than it was a couple of weeks ago. Both the Bathams and Glow were terrible.

Back
Top Bottom