Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Poll - Watch Jeff Shi's interview and vote !

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
no they won't necessarily. there is absolutely no guarantee that the revenue will go to the football club. it is likely that the esports etc will be an end in itself. wolves football is the launch pad. i sense no desire whatsoever to pursue anything other than the status quo on the football side. they are not interested in trophies just developing revenues for the fosun sports arm. this will be attractive (he believes) to investors. so, when they IPO Fosun will cash out and wolves football will be just part of a wider mix. the brand will have been leveraged. another poster likened it to virgin which is now much more famous for aircraft than records where it started. that is perfectly possible for wolves. so, sorry chum but it does not follow that widened income is going to benefit the club we both support
But if there is no other income streams there no money anyway. That means disaster.

Fosun are clear the revenue to grow Wolves have to be generated by Wloves (which nicely meet Finance rules) not a bad plan once those revenues trickle in.

Fosun will not lose money but will invest sounds good so long as we progress the team.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
You take away any chance the club has to win something..then interest will start to fade. It is a matter of time and a club that cannot win anything will not be attractive to new international fans either.. Esport or no Esport.We cannot forget this...allthough probably a discussion for other threads I suppose.
One of my nephews supports Wolves, his Canadian girlfriend becoming his wife tomorrow actually, has adopted an English club now close to her heart.
Not Wolves as you might expect, not my other nephews team Manchester United even, but.. Manchester City, she bought a club shirt at their megastore recently.
Wolves might have an interesting story to tell, but in the end most new international fans look for mega successful teams, winning trophies, playing a brand ha ha of exciting football.
Back to the girlfriend. The only positive for me, is she didn't choose Liverpool but considering there are 92 professional English clubs to choose from, she certainly won the lottery with City.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
One of my nephews supports Wolves, his Canadian girlfriend becoming his wife tomorrow actually, has adopted an English club now close to her heart.
Not Wolves as you might expect, not my other nephews team Manchester United even, but.. Manchester City, she bought a club shirt at their megastore recently.
Wolves might have an interesting story to tell, but in the end most new international fans look for mega successful teams, winning trophies, playing a brand ha ha of exciting football.
Back to the girlfriend. The only positive for me, is she didn't choose Liverpool but considering there are 92 professional English clubs to choose from, she certainly won the lottery with City.
I would question your nephew’s choices in life.

Berlin Wolf

Supporters Clubs Empresario
Reaction score
I would question your nephew’s choices in life.
Their choices in life are their own but my post was about how a new international fan has adopted England's current most successful football club, and why.
That is her choice, fair enough, but that choice is based on a winner. She could have adopted her boyfriends team, or simply, put 92 names in a hat, and drew one out.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Totally agree.
If I´m not completely lost 2022 the only way to win international support in a significant way for an english football club is too try and compete,try to win some things.
I don´t see any way possible for a football club in permanent midtable obscurity to gain significant international support.
If other way around,Soton would have been massive as of now..
It would take 20 years of success on the field (and by success I means winning leagues and trophies, not finishing 7th and getting to a QF in the Europa league) to get anything like the global fan base Man U and Liverpool have.

Man City have had a decade of winning trophies and I believe their “pull” around the world is still dwarfed by the other 2.

While it’s obvious that growing the fan base is a positive in making money, I can’t help thinking that the club is deluded in its vision of becoming a “world wide brand”.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was disappointed to read some of the comments on here, so listened to Shi’s interview yesterday (didn’t watch).

Admittedly, I got distracted a couple of times, so may have missed something, but I honestly didn’t feel put out at all by what he had to say. I actually felt reassured about our long term future.

Obviously, that goes against the grain on here but I’m genuinely interested, by those that didn’t like what they heard, what exactly did he say that so offended you. Direct quotes preferred please.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Their choices in life are their own but my post was about how a new international fan has adopted England's current most successful football club, and why.
That is her choice, fair enough, but that choice is based on a winner. She could have adopted her boyfriends team, or simply, put 92 names in a hat, and drew one out.
It was said tongue in cheek.

Your main point is salient. We are competing with another 91 clubs with six who currently have a far deeper reach than we do currently. To make headway we need to make sure that all aspects of the various activities work. We do need to ensure we play attractive football and return to the games like beating Man City, Man U. I would agree with what others have said good cup runs are also important to raise profile. I don’t see what was said in Ask Wolves and improving the team as incompatible. Perhaps they didn’t say we’re going to buy X or Y but I think we will change the team and hopefully be more attractive.

Last edited:

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
We're all more irrelevant the bigger the club gets...but the fact that we can describe ourselves as "legacy fans" shows we're able to move with the times and are not ready for the knackers yard yet :)
I don't think the faceless and corporate bit is completely true.....it is just a much wider view of trying to create loyalty from people who know nothing about us and owe us no emotional connection. The difference is that in Wolverhampton the club already has a massive headstart because most fans are already pledged, it's not the same elsewhere in the world where they have a different history and Fosun need to invest heavily to divert some of that attention our way.

JS: It’s about brand. Wolves can be a clan, a clan means only for local fanbase, but we will always be smaller compared with some big global clubs, but if we think of us as a brand, you have to draw the brand with a good picture. First of all, you have to inject some elements into the brand. What is the brand? So Wolves, what does Wolves mean? It means the city, it means the local 200,000 people or it means something all the people from different countries can like, they can love, they can like to have. But the cultural difference from different countries, some new fans they like something and some old fans they like something else, so you have to find some mutual points to meet their expectations, so it means you have to embrace something new like esports, to embrace the younger fans, and from esports you can have more engagement online with the fanbase, much, much more than what we can engage with the fans in football, so then with engagement, you can talk with the fans, you can communicate with the fans, you can have the fans feel more belonged to us. Then, even for football itself and the older fans here or the new fans from China, from America, from Africa, their appetites are not the same, so you have to find a way, so some players from South Korea, some players from America, and I think they have their local heroes. I think it’s very hard to convince a Chinese fan to support Wolves without any element from Asia, from China, so you need to have some emotional attachment included in the club. So if you consider all of this, you have to have some piece here, some piece there, to build brand awareness, then it’s also very recognisable to everything. It’s not only about the history of Wolves, we were built in 1877, it’s not enough, it’s good to have, but it’s not enough. So what we’re doing is trying to put more elements into the brand, then make it a more universal, global brand with more general brand attraction for everyone around the world, that’s what we’re doing.

I read this as Bruno must play Hwang.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I really can´t see that happening without us being at least fairly successful on the pitch.
I think we are regressing in this department.
The way other clubs invests,I fear we will not be a top ten club in the near future.
I really don´t see a way for us to expand our revenues in a big way from a position tablewise like that.
This said,I´ve been a fan since the mid 70´s.We were never going to win any leaguetitle back then either...but one always had hope for some cup glory..which indeed happened 1980.
This means we should go for the cups in a much bigger way than what we recently has.Even reaching the FA Cup semi against Watford we did it with Ruddy in goal for example.

You take away any chance the club has to win something..then interest will start to fade.It is a matter of time and a club that cannot win anything will not be attractive to new international fans either..Esport or no Esport.We cannot forget this...allthough probably a discussion for other threads I suppose.
Sustained success on the pitch is very difficult without vast sums of money . Couldn't agree more about taking the cups seriously .
But success on the pitch is highlighted by Everton and Leicester this year. West Ham , Newcastle and Villa in previous years .
But more astounding is that every club bar the top six and Everton have been in The Championship or below over the last 15 years , I believe.
No club is really safe for long even after spending lots of money. Portsmouth and Leeds are some of many that burnt brightly for a short period.

Back
Top Bottom