Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Please don’t sign Hwang

DJLWolf

Reaction score
Jesus Vallejo whose currently starting for Real Madrid and is now ranked as their #10 player on WhoScored?

And I just don't see how scoring 5 goals in a team that cant' score goals could make him the worst signing under Fosun? That is just so much hyperbole and exagerration. Compared to , say ,Cutrone, Hwang has done much better. Cutrone had a song, and was "liked" despite not at any point looking a Premier League striker. Lokos like it's non-footballing reasons. Some players are "popular" and fans will go to any lengths to explain away their poor output. Others are just unpopular for whatever reason and that's, that? Fabio can miss sitters but "at least he's in the right place". Hwang scores but "it was a tap in my granny could have scored". It's always been that way with football.

Take Hwangs goals off and I make it we'd be in 11th right now, probably dropping more after defeat to Liverpool. How many millions are the 3 extra places i nthe table worth again?
Cutrone didn't get anywhere near the amount of chances or game time that Hwang has.I would take him ahead of Hwang every day of the week personally (although that's not saying much).

As far as Vallejo is concerned, my mates and I literally couldn't believe how poor he was, which I was under the impression was the view of most wolves fans.

It was almost as if he was randomly pulled of the street and had never played football before!

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether he is woeful or the next Pele, the point is we spent 14m on him, completely unnecessarily, when we are supposedly in a sell to buy scenario.

For context, 14m is probably more than we will end up getting for Adama.

There is no way, whichever way you cut it, you can condone this signing. It was lunacy.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Would be worth it if it were Son.

As it is, I'd rather set up Canada TV and let them watch Corbeanu rather than Trampoline Feet.

Hwang is the poster boy for our **** recruitment over the last few years.

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jesus Vallejo whose currently starting for Real Madrid and is now ranked as their #10 player on WhoScored?

And I just don't see how scoring 5 goals in a team that cant' score goals could make him the worst signing under Fosun? That is just so much hyperbole and exagerration. Compared to , say ,Cutrone, Hwang has done much better. Cutrone had a song, and was "liked" despite not at any point looking a Premier League striker. Lokos like it's non-footballing reasons. Some players are "popular" and fans will go to any lengths to explain away their poor output. Others are just unpopular for whatever reason and that's, that? Fabio can miss sitters but "at least he's in the right place". Hwang scores but "it was a tap in my granny could have scored". It's always been that way with football.

Take Hwangs goals off and I make it we'd be in 11th right now, probably dropping more after defeat to Liverpool. How many millions are the 3 extra places i nthe table worth again?
I don’t think it’s so much non-footballing reasons, more that both Fabio and Cutrone will(/would) run around and get stuck in, whereas Hwang can go missing quite often and look a bit lackadaisical and lightweight. Fans will always love triers and criticise those that look a bit lazy, always been the way.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whether he is woeful or the next Pele, the point is we spent 14m on him, completely unnecessarily, when we are supposedly in a sell to buy scenario.

For context, 14m is probably more than we will end up getting for Adama.

There is no way, whichever way you cut it, you can condone this signing. It was lunacy.

For context 14m is the same we spent on Helder Costa about 5 years ago.

You have a team that is close to being the absolute worst at scoring goals in the division. Actually, in all 4 divisions. New guy comes in, scores 4 goals in a couple of months. This after Jose failed. Cutrone failed. Fabio has underewhelmed and though many here seem to love him, for most neutrals he seems either a joke, or shady agent dealings or both.

Hwang was not an unknown, he's had good spells at previous clubs that drew attention. Not scoring at RBL meant the big clubs went cool on him. He came here, started well, hence by end of November 2021 "Liverpool watching Hee Chan Hwang as transfer talks open over £42M midfielder"

"Liverpool and Man City eyeing Hwang Hee-Chan - WOLVES are facing are fight to hang on to loan star Hwang Hee-Chan with Liverpool and Manchester City tracking him."

I can see why the club jumped at finishing the deal. Admittedly, he's since been not very good, though he did have injury. Main point would be that at this level £14M for a player whose just scored 4 goals in his first 7 games is peanuts. We've spent far more on bigger flops. Other clubs have, too. Yes, he's been abysmal all this year, I don't disagee, just that with hindsight, I can see why the club jumped to finsih the deal in January. It's looking a bad deal now, again, I'm not questioning that. Though it's the "worst deal ever" that some keep saying. We'd get not much less than that if we sell him in the summer. A few million for 5 goals - equal highest scorer in open play - is nothing these days.

Even with his dodgy control, it was not unreasonable to see him picking him another 3 or 4 goals by the end of this season "at that point". It's a shame it's not worked out. But I don't get why people were so quick to churn out the abuse of him.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s so much non-footballing reasons, more that both Fabio and Cutrone will(/would) run around and get stuck in, whereas Hwang can go missing quite often and look a bit lackadaisical and lightweight. Fans will always love triers and criticise those that look a bit lazy, always been the way.

I suppose that's inevitable after so many years clogging away in the Championship. Fill the team with "popular" players who run about a lot but lack quality, and we will soon be back there, watching the head tennis and shift-putting-in every week!

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

You have a team that is close to being the absolute worst at scoring goals in the division. Actually, in all 4 divisions. New guy comes in, scores 4 goals in a couple of months. This after Jose failed. Cutrone failed. Fabio has underewhelmed and though many here seem to love him, for most neutrals he seems either a joke, or shady agent dealings or both.

Hwang was not an unknown, he's had good spells at previous clubs that drew attention. Not scoring at RBL meant the big clubs went cool on him. He came here, started well, hence by end of November 2021 "Liverpool watching Hee Chan Hwang as transfer talks open over £42M midfielder"

"Liverpool and Man City eyeing Hwang Hee-Chan - WOLVES are facing are fight to hang on to loan star Hwang Hee-Chan with Liverpool and Manchester City tracking him."

I can see why the club jumped at finishing the deal. Admittedly, he's since been not very good, though he did have injury. Main point would be that at this level £14M for a player whose just scored 4 goals in his first 7 games is peanuts. We've spent far more on bigger flops. Other clubs have, too. Yes, he's been abysmal all this year, I don't disagee, just that with hindsight, I can see why the club jumped to finsih the deal in January. It's looking a bad deal now, again, I'm not questioning that. Though it's the "worst deal ever" that some keep saying. We'd get not much less than that if we sell him in the summer. A few million for 5 goals - equal highest scorer in open play - is nothing these days.

Even with his dodgy control, it was not unreasonable to see him picking him another 3 or 4 goals by the end of this season "at that point". It's a shame it's not worked out. But I don't get why people were so quick to churn out the abuse of him.
So, it's the Sun's fault then.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see why the club jumped to finsih the deal in January.

Except he was already looking pants in January.
We have a signed contract already in place for if we take up the option.
And we had the option open for this summer.

There was no reason to activate it so early. None at all.

Even if he scored 90 goals this season and the big boys were swimming around, he'd have been contractually obligated to sign for us if we activated the option.

AlexWolvesHD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if he has been playing with an injury still because he doesn't look the same player since his injury, perhaps a rest and he can properly heal over the summer then a full pre-season and maybe we can get the pre-injury hwang back

Same applies for Neto

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I suppose that's inevitable after so many years clogging away in the Championship. Fill the team with "popular" players who run about a lot but lack quality, and we will soon be back there, watching the head tennis and shift-putting-in every week!
That is true!

Don’t think it’s unique to us in fairness.

berwickwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do wonder if he has been playing with an injury still because he doesn't look the same player since his injury, perhaps a rest and he can properly heal over the summer then a full pre-season and maybe we can get the pre-injury hwang back

Same applies for Neto
No, very different. Neto lacks pace and sharpness and will regain these, hopefully. Never lacks effort or desire. Or skill.
Hwang can't control the ball, can't pass accurately, can't take good opportunities to at least test the keeper, goes to ground too easily and throws his arm in the air petulantly.
I like your optimism though. I wish I shared it.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

According to The Athletic, Hwang had the option, too. If he'd scored 4 or 5 more, Liverpool may well have offered him a contract. There was no "signed contract" until he actually signed it in January.

Even if he scored 90 goals this season and the big boys were swimming around, he'd have been contractually obligated to sign for us if we activated the option.

That's not what was widely reported in the media.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No, very different. Neto lacks pace and sharpness and will regain these, hopefully. Never lacks effort or desire. Or skill.
Hwang can't control the ball, can't pass accurately, can't take good opportunities to at least test the keeper, goes to ground too easily and throws his arm in the air petulantly.
I like your optimism though. I wish I shared it.

Neto, and especially Raul are the masters of throwing their arms inthe air petulantly. And Podence taught Hwang everything he knows about going to ground too easily.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the difference with Hwang compared to other poor signings is he came in a deal with the option to buy. By the time we signed him permanently even Specsavers most challenged customer could see his first touch is poor and if he manages to get the ball under control it’s purely temporary as his second touch is equally shocking. We wouldn’t - well I hope we wouldn’t - have signed Cutrone after watching him play for us. The only conclusion I see that makes sense is he’s been signed for reasons other than his footballing (in)ability and once you start doing that you’re in a slippery slope that heads downward very quickly. If it had been £1.4m it could probably be justified so long as he barely played but £14m is a big wedge that undoubtedly could have been spent more wisely.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Every team in the world could want him but with us having that option we could've just signed him in the summer for the agreed price.

Liverpool and City was never going to be after him. Sounds like Amateur Shi got fooled by an agent if you think that

Taffywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At the moment this looks like another bad deal by Wolves.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
According to The Athletic, Hwang had the option, too. If he'd scored 4 or 5 more, Liverpool may well have offered him a contract. There was no "signed contract" until he actually signed it in January.

That's not what was widely reported in the media.
Screenshot_20220520_081418.jpg

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Really?

I'll raise you Cutrone, Gladon, Borthwick-Jackson, Oniangue, Nazon & Ola John off the top of my head.
I’m not convinced Hwang is better than Cutrone, tbh. You give him the appearances that Hwang has had and I’d be leaning towards Cutrone. He had good control after all.

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Where should he be in the forwards’ pecking order? I’d say he’s behind Raul, Fabio, Podence, Neto, Chiquinho and Trincao (a close one but at least Trincao shows glimpses of being good). So he’s 6th or 7th in the list for me.

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I didn't see anywhere that it was an exclusive option clause.

It's common to have clauses along the lines of "Wolves can sign Hwang for £14m at any point, but if someone else makes an acceptable bid and that gets completed first - tough luck".

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't see anywhere that it was an exclusive option clause.

It's common to have clauses along the lines of "Wolves can sign Hwang for £14m at any point, but if someone else makes an acceptable bid and that gets completed first - tough luck".

Sounds like an absolute load of *******s to me, sorry

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang has to be our most hated player of the PL era

Do people hate him? I personally dont. I just dont think he's a very good player, and my guess is, that most people feel much the same. But hatred? Not really.
Also, there's this underlying feeling that signing him and playing him so often has to more with commercial reasons, than the football.
But again, thats not really his fault...

DasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hwang has to be our most hated player of the PL era

It's not hatred to say he's not good enough mate. I'm sure he tries his best, and he was offered a contract.

It was an awful decision though, and that's with people at the club.

Him being constantly played when he's not good enough is also not his fault, he doesn't pick the team.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In fairness to huang he needs to play in a front two and around the box. He looked like a good partner for jimenez briefly but we rarely played to his strengths.

Out wide though, he's awful.

SingleMalt

Reaction score
In fairness to huang he needs to play in a front two and around the box. He looked like a good partner for jimenez briefly but we rarely played to his strengths.

Out wide though, he's awful.
I agree and I think he’d be half decent if we played to his strengths.
He is **** at what we keep asking him to do though so I’m not surprised fans are frustrated with him.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

No Leipzig were contractually obliged to sell he was under no obligation to sign a deal

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If this guy plus next season I will consider pulling my eyes out

Back
Top Bottom