Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Players we should of never sold

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Akinbiyi was one that we did extremely well to offload ... totally uselss iirc [and expensive].
Think he picked up the 'useless' tag at Leicester after we sold him to be fair where it took him a very long time to get going and he didnt pull up any trees whatsoever. I know you've been over it since your post but he did do well for us, scored a hat trick one game (Grimsby I think) and the E&S had the headline "Akin-Bully", which suggested he'd been doing alright! As it turned out he was one of those strikers who could bag you plenty in the second tier but really struggled at the top level

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think he picked up the 'useless' tag at Leicester after we sold him to be fair where it took him a very long time to get going and he didnt pull up any trees whatsoever. I know you've been over it since your post but he did do well for us, scored a hat trick one game (Grimsby I think) and the E&S had the headline "Akin-Bully", which suggested he'd been doing alright! As it turned out he was one of those strikers who could bag you plenty in the second tier but really struggled at the top level
Late equaliser at the Albion as well. Really liked Akinbiyi.

Zico

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember in the choke season, where Albion played Palace on the last day of the season, where Akinbiyi was then. After the last home game the week before, Hayward was on the pitch doing his end of season speech, where he predicted Akinbiyi should score a hat trick, saying "he at least owes us that." Bit embarrassing really.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Remember in the choke season, where Albion played Palace on the last day of the season, where Akinbiyi was then. After the last home game the week before, Hayward was on the pitch doing his end of season speech, where he predicted Akinbiyi should score a hat trick, saying "he at least owes us that." Bit embarrassing really.
End of season speeches on the pitch are always awful, Hayward's particularly so

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
And we got a good transfer fee didn’t we?

We paid £3.5million for him from Bristol City in September 1999 hoping he would replace Robbie Keane. Ten months later he signed for Leicester for £5.5million as a replacement for Emile Heskey. £2million profit was not bad business at the time.

Akinbyi never hit it off at Leicester and he scored 11 goals in 58 appearances.

He became a bit of a journeyman after leaving Leicester. Maybe he should have stayed at Molineux.
Leicester fans called him Ade Akin-badbuy....

He might have been a one season wonder had he stayed with us, who knows. I do know though that spunking serious money on Blobby Taylor as a supposed replacement was empathetically not a good move.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shocking English mate . ....have not of. Lol
But it's a common mix up. The reason is that 'have' in its abbreviated form 've' in words like 'should've', and 'of' in expressions like 'a pint of beer', are homophones (= they sound identical). That's why people mix them up. Just thought I'd point that out....

John Richards 1974

Reaction score
Gary Pierce Barry Powell Steve Daley Alan Sunderland Peter Withe Jim Mccalliog Ken Hibbitt Dave Wagstaffe John Richards
John Farrington Bob Hatton Ernie Hunt Alan Hinton Derek Clarke Wayne Clarke Hughie Curran Bobby Gould Peter Eastoe Steve Kindon
George Berry ColinBrazier :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::tearsofjoy:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gary Pierce Barry Powell Steve Daley Alan Sunderland Peter Withe Jim Mccalliog Ken Hibbitt Dave Wagstaffe John Richards
John Farrington Bob Hatton Ernie Hunt Alan Hinton Derek Clarke Wayne Clarke Hughie Curran Bobby Gould Peter Eastoe Steve Kindon
George Berry ColinBrazier :sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::sleeping::tearsofjoy:
So George Berry but not his old partner Bob Hazell huh..... He of alleged syphoning skills....

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So George Berry but not his old partner Bob Hazell huh..... He of alleged syphoning skills....

I vividly remember back in December 1982 Wolves putting on possibly their best performance of the season beating QPR who would go on to be Champions by 4-0 ( pretty sure the game is on You Tube ) and the whole ground serenading Bob Hazell with a " Do you want to buy petrol " chant ! :p:p:p

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right or wrong answers please (there is a current theme on the forum that needs lightening up)

Il start

Alan Sunderland, Pedro Goncalves, Henri Camara

All went on to better things, it’s terrible that players want to better themselves after playing for us. Just how could they??
I seem to remember Camara going on strike whilst at a hotel in Paris. As much as we loved him (me and all my friends wore our collars up just to be like him) I don't think we really had a choice in selling him.

MasWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Remember Dave Jones saying we'd scouted him for years!
In the press conference when he arrived, he didn't speak any English and Jones said something to the effect of, "he asked me earlier, who are we again?"

I'm pretty sure he will know who Wolves are now!

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I vividly remember back in December 1982 Wolves putting on possibly their best performance of the season beating QPR who would go on to be Champions by 4-0 ( pretty sure the game is on You Tube ) and the whole ground serenading Bob Hazell with a " Do you want to buy petrol " chant ! :p:p:p
I was there and recall it well too!

Incognito

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In no particular order: Diogo Jota, Pedro Gonclaves, Alan Hinton, Steve Daley, Alan Sunderland, John Humphrey, King John to ****ing Derby!!!

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
ROBBIE KEANE.
ALAN SUNDERLAND.

Disastrous, stupid decisions and for peanuts.

More recently Diogo Jota obviously but at least we got a reasonable fee.
If I remember correctly, when we sold Robbie Keane, wasn’t it a British record for a teenager? Peanuts compared to todays fees but not back then.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He might have been a one season wonder had he stayed with us, who knows. I do know though that spunking serious money on Blobby Taylor as a supposed replacement was empathetically not a good move.
Did the Ade Panic-buyi come from his time with us?

George AlooGobi

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I seem to remember Camara going on strike whilst at a hotel in Paris. As much as we loved him (me and all my friends wore our collars up just to be like him) I don't think we really had a choice in selling him.

Much as I dislike Moxey, he did well getting a good loan fee and transfer fee for a ****ing **** who seemed quite happy to go on strike.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score

Went to a Norwich game at Oxford with a canary supporting friend of mine when Ade was a young sub.
He be came on and straight away fouled an Oxford defender. "Off, off, off" was the call from the terraces but not from the home fans but the traveling support who then booed when only a yellow was produced!
The general feel of the Norwich fans was he was awful so I wasn't overly delighted when we signed him even though he did ok for us and as already pointed out made us a nice profit.

Kennedy

Reaction score
Steven Ward, Tim Flowers, George Friend, Sam Vokes, Diogo Jota, Robbie Keane...

You could just list every good player we sold but you have to balance it against the money received and the context of the sale.

Ward for example, went on to perform consistently in the prem for years. We would not have received much of a fee and he could have been a great help pre Fosun and even in the early Fosun years.

Jota, we sold the wrong winger..

Keane, rubbish deal for such a player.

Etc etc.
I am also going to add Benik Afobe, first time round. He was on fire and we could have got up with the magic three...

Back
Top Bottom