Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Play the Kids (or not)

Newbridge Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting article. I’ve always wondered whether the academy is really worth it when you compare investment to output. After all, it’s been a long, long time since the days of Murray, Lescott and Keane. We haven’t really produced anyone since who’s played at the top level. Mark Davies about the best(?) and even then he was over a decade ago and only played a few years in the Prem before Bolton were relegated.

I remember reading this article about Brentford a few years ago. Their approach has done them well.

I always feel like we should have a strong youth setup, but I’m not sure I can justify that stance?

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Interesting article. I’ve always wondered whether the academy is really worth it when you compare investment to output. After all, it’s been a long, long time since the days of Murray, Lescott and Keane. We haven’t really produced anyone since who’s played at the top level. Mark Davies about the best(?) and even then he was over a decade ago and only played a few years in the Prem before Bolton were relegated.

I remember reading this article about Brentford a few years ago. Their approach has done them well.

I always feel like we should have a strong youth setup, but I’m not sure I can justify that stance?
short discussion on the u.23 thread .deffo. a topic worthy of argument

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think the question is, and not just at Wolves, are the academies providing first team players? Imagine being an academy player at Newcastle. They will probably not get a look in now, as they will just spend millions to improve the team. It was only about 30 years ago that Manchester Uniteds youth system brought forward youngsters who all had great careers. Beckham, Scholes, Giggs, Butt, The Neville Brothers. Could that happen again? I am not sure it could.

Royal wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The issue is unless you’re bigger, stronger and quicker than the majority in your age group you rarely stand out. Players also develop at different stages as we know. I’m sure there have been a couple of our younger players who would’ve flourished in the last 10 years but never got a chance. A lot of it is down to luck I think.

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yo

You have a strong academy to churn kids and sell them at a profit to lesser clubs

Back
Top Bottom