Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Phil Chard

Werewolf of Wombourne

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very enjoyable article in todays E&S about one of the lesser (no disrespect meant) lights of the 4th and 3rd division promotion campaigns. It's always nice to go down memory lane and to find out what happened to them later on in life. I remember him as a hard worker who didn't have a bad shot on him and could pass a ball.

I still remember the period 87-90 as my favourite time supporting Wolves

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very enjoyable article in todays E&S about one of the lesser (no disrespect meant) lights of the 4th and 3rd division promotion campaigns. It's always nice to go down memory lane and to find out what happened to them later on in life. I remember him as a hard worker who didn't have a bad shot on him and could pass a ball.

I still remember the period 87-90 as my favourite time supporting Wolves

I read the excellent Phil Chard article. Mickey Holmes, Phil Robinson, Nigel Vaughan, Mick Gooding and of course Phil Chard are midfielders I look back on with great memories.

While the Nuno era we are in is very special there was just something about those 87/88 and 88/89 that make it my best time as a Wolves fan even more so than the League Cup winning campaigns that I recall.

Baboon

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My memory of Phil Chard is a useful squad player who had the misfortune to miss too many games through injury. I seem to recall he had a decent long throw.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Northampton of that era were an extremely good side. Very dominant for a season or two before they started selling off all their best players.

Welford Wolf

Reaction score
Being from Northants I made a point of talking to him when the opportunity arose (players were much more accessable back then) he was a really nice man with time for the fans even after leaving Wolves when I bumped into him at a Northants cricket match and he was then Cobblers manager. He remembered me and we had a good conversation.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Could never really hold down a place due to injuries IIRC. It seems strange but my standout memory from him was actually the goal he scored against us at Molinuex the season he won the league with Northampton and we of course lost in the playoffs.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Could never really hold down a place due to injuries IIRC. It seems strange but my standout memory from him was actually the goal he scored against us at Molinuex the season he won the league with Northampton and we of course lost in the playoffs.
probably why we signed him

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Phil Chard. As mentioned by others, injuries plighted his career. I thought he was an important part of our revival. Bully got all the plaudits, but the likes of Chard were just as important.

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
T
My memory of Phil Chard is a useful squad player who had the misfortune to miss too many games through injury. I seem to recall he had a decent long throw.
That's the main thing I really remember about Phil, a good long throw, years before the Clayheads cornered the market in that respect.

Tezthewolvesfan

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I loved those two Seasons, I remember my first wage packet in 1988 straight into Ron Flowers and bought a Wolves top.....spoke to Ron for ages.....

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know a guy who played for him at Northampton, he suffered a lot with injuries and unsurprisingly said Chard was a nice guy and very sympathetic

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I liked Phil Chard. As mentioned by others, injuries plighted his career. I thought he was an important part of our revival. Bully got all the plaudits, but the likes of Chard were just as important.
I dunno, one scored 300 goals the other played 34 games!

I agree he was a decent player when he played though. Never really liked Nigel Vaughan so anyone but Vaughan was a bonus.

el gringo

Reaction score
Couldn't believe how green he looked when he arrived at the club.

D

Deleted member 11157

Loved Phil Chard and he was better than Tony Dinning too.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
My nickname at school was pilchard and so I was mildly amused when we signed him.

He didn’t get much game time from what I remember but was decent enough when he did play, but found it hard to displace Vaughan and Downing

R

reanswolf

I thought he was pretty decent in the time he was with us, to be fair.

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
This was a great period for me as a wolves fan. I was still living in Telford, got my first job and season ticket. Remember all these players fondly as they really did turn our fortunes round. For some reason I'm remembering the league game away at Torquay on a Friday night with a Jon Purdue winner.

Happy days.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He used to get sunburnt a lot, he was known as Phil Charred.

Edit: sorry wrong thread.

Beeches wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Same here always liked phil, solid player, its funny how you take to a player, something they do you remember.

Back
Top Bottom