Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Paul Mariner

Kashmire Hawker

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The former Ipswich Town, Arsenal and England frontman, who scored 13 times in 35 games for his nation, has passed at the age of 68.

His spell at The Tractor Boys, was within their most successful period, with victories in The FA Cup of 1978 and somehow the UEFA Cup in 1981.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news this morning that former Ipswich Town and England striker Paul Mariner has passed away. I saw him play a few times, and he was a very good player.

R.I.P.

Stourport wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The former Ipswich Town, Arsenal and England frontman, who scored 13 times in 35 games for his nation, has passed at the age of 68.

His spell at The Tractor Boys, was within their most successful period, with victories in The FA Cup of 1978 and somehow the UEFA Cup in 1981.

Yes a great player. He started his professional career at Plymouth Argyle, where he later went on to manage.

RIP

Last edited:

Rangiora Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player who I always remember. We moved back from NZ to the UK temporarily in 78. As a 13 year old, I remember watching the FA Cup final v Arsenal. RIP.

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Mariner and Billy Rafferty were to Argyle fans from around 1973 to 1976 what Steve Bull and Andy Mutch were to us in the mid eighties. Living in Plymouth at that time I can still remember sadness when Paul was sold to Ipswich Town. It was always going to happen as everyone could see he was too good for the then Second Division still it was not easy for the Argyle fans. Paul Mariner left in a players plus cash deal in which Plymouth got stitched up with a forward called Terry Austin who was a total donkey and the other player was John Peddelty who's career was over not long after joining Plymouth due to a firework accident. Billy Raffferty was sold in the same month and actually before Paul was and to this day older Argyle fans still have grudges and ill feelings towards the Board of that era for selling Billy or giving him away as they felt Billy Rafferty was sold too cheaply to Carlisle for £25k before not long after being sold to Wolves for £125,000. When they did not have to as they knew the imminent sale of Paul Mariner would bring in at least £200,000.

Paul Mariner played up front in for England in Spain 1982. That was a cracking England team and his pairing with Trevor Francis was superb.

I know many Argyle fans who were huge fans of Paul and they are going to be deeply saddened by his passing.

Southdownswolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I was 8 when Ipswich won the UEFA Cup and remember watching them on TV, a time when not many matches were actually on. Mariner was one of those people that you thought was going to score every time he had the ball.
Gone far too early, but he gave a lot of people many happy memories.
RIP.

The Professional

'Unprofessional'
Reaction score
Absolute player from when I first got into football. Remember Ipswich Vs Wolves (think it was a 1-1 - Willie Carr either scored or assisted) and Mariner was a real physical presence. God Rest Paul.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Pinnochio. A great player and has died far too young. I remember those fantastic 1977 FA cup ties at Portman Road and Molineux.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Very sad news. I liked him as a player and he was one of many very good strikers around at the time. The Ipswich team he played for was very entertaining.

Bogota Wolf

Reaction score
As a kid, I liked him for his Top Trumps stats. One of the few who you had a chance with against Dagleish, Mick Channon, Brooking and Joe Jordan!
RIP
Paul Mariner was a star with Ipswich, Plymouth and England. Makes me wonder why a so-called bigger club didn't move in for him, but there again in those days it wasn't all about money and transfers all the time. Take your point about other names but Brooking was vastly over-rated at a time when England were useless when it mattered. Brooking (66-84 for WHU with 528 games and 88 goals, Eng with 47 games and 5 goals) was no way better than King Kenny Hibbitt (68-84 for us with 466 games and 89 goals) but played for a media darling club and the Beeb needed a media darling softie with the right accent from darn sarf.
RIP Paul Mariner. Happy memories.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Paul Mariner was a star with Ipswich, Plymouth and England. Makes me wonder why a so-called bigger club didn't move in for him, but there again in those days it wasn't all about money and transfers all the time. Take your point about other names but Brooking was vastly over-rated at a time when England were useless when it mattered. Brooking (66-84 for WHU with 528 games and 88 goals, Eng with 47 games and 5 goals) was no way better than King Kenny Hibbitt (68-84 for us with 466 games and 89 goals) but played for a media darling club and the Beeb needed a media darling softie with the right accent from darn sarf.
RIP Paul Mariner. Happy memories.
I think he played for Arsenal for a couple of years, but Paul Mariner will always be remembered for being a part of that wonderful Ipswich team that Bobby Robson built.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Even I,as a man from Sweden,remembers Paul Mariner pretty well.
Much feared attacker in his days as being part of THAT Ipswich team.
Naturally,also remember his goal..against France ne ces´t pas?..in WC 1982.
A more old school attacker that could score with his feets as well.I feel he is somewhat underrated nowadays..never mind.
RIP and thanks for the entertainment.

Burton Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
RIP Pinnochio. A great player and has died far too young. I remember those fantastic 1977 FA cup ties at Portman Road and Molineux.

They reckon there was 8,000 of us there that day. One of the most packed away ends I have ever been in. Check the crowd after Richards first goal. Sad news about Paul.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
They reckon there was 8,000 of us there that day. One of the most packed away ends I have ever been in. Check the crowd after Richards first goal. Sad news about Paul.
Loved watching that. Thanks. And good seeing Marina running around as a healthy young chap.

Goalkeepers seem bigger these days with massive gloves. And how many managers and players today would be happy playing on a pitch like that.

Big Saft Kid

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He had a great manager at Ipswich -- Bobby Robson.

D

Deleted member 5276

Sad news indeed. I can pretty much remember that whole team as I had a real soft spot for them given how they played the game. Mariner was a superb striker who scored lots of goals for them and England. It also brings home to you how we all age and that life is indeed, short. RIP Paul Mariner.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
I think he played for Arsenal for a couple of years, but Paul Mariner will always be remembered for being a part of that wonderful Ipswich team that Bobby Robson built.
Some great names in that side

Back
Top Bottom