Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

our midfield three

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I believe our middle three and first choice pics have 20 league goals between them at least. Thats superb aint it? Might be 22?

D

Dewsburywolf

I thought it was a midfield two (McDonald & Price) with an interchangeable forward three behind a main lone striker

S

SouthwesternWolf

Sako, Henry and Jacobs have 21 between them. When you take into account that Edwards/Evans have also played that role it's up to 28

D

Dewsburywolf

Sako 9
Henry 6
Jacobs 6

Then
Edwards 3
Evans 2
McDonald 3

And Sky website has Dicko down as "attacking midfielder" on 5

WonderWolf

WoWoWoobsykins
Reaction score
Our 'fluid five' and stand-ins can certainly find the net. :D

andy-in-seat-190

Reaction score
I thought it was a midfield two (McDonald & Price) with an interchangeable forward three behind a main lone striker

And that same Sky Sports website you just quoted has Sako, Jacobs and Henry all down as midfielders. We can all be pedantic Dews.

Uncle Festa

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
But you'll still get **** heads saying we are short for cover up front!
I swear some of our fans think you can play 4 centre forwards and three attacking midfielders in the same team.

E

Edgmond Wolf

It is just great to have so many scoring....a welcome change

D

Dewsburywolf

And that same Sky Sports website you just quoted has Sako, Jacobs and Henry all down as midfielders. We can all be pedantic Dews.

To be fair it also has Sigurdarsson as a midfielder as well

I was just pointing out the difference in attacking midfielders -- Sako, Jacobs, Henry, Edwards, Evans & holding ones McDonald, Price, Davis

Nothing pedantic implied

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dont worry dews I meant our second row of three. Attacking midfielders I say lol

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pricey and kmac could even be called playmakers. I like that. Pirlo esque lol

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many did the great KH get in all his years with us? F all.
These stats certainly make you realise how this guy, more than any other, held us back and hampered our progress for so many years.
Talk about breath of fresh air. The stench of defeat has lifted.

M

Mr Wolf

These stats certainly make you realise how this guy, more than any other, held us back and hampered our progress for so many years.

Yeah I mean going up as champions & staying up twice in the premier league has really held us back, we could have been level on points with Leyton $$$$ing Orient in league 1 years ago if it wasn't for him.

D

Dewsburywolf

Yeah I mean going up as champions & staying up twice in the premier league has really held us back, we could have been level on points with Leyton $$$$ing Orient in league 1 years ago if it wasn't for him.

I don`t often agree with NNW but in this instance I believe he`s saying (& I thus agree) that we would still be in the Prem IF we`d upgraded Karl Henry & indeed a few others

Wolf316

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

TBF Henry never played in division three with us.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It was never a screamer at Palace. I seemed to remember him lashing it in from 6 yards(ish) following a chance or a scramble. I can recall him scoring a lovely daisy-cutter from outside the box against Preston if my memory serves me right. Might have been a winner too.

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know this is slightly off topic but I've been trying for the last two days to make my son's first word 'Dicko' but my wife is going ape-$$$$.

It's great on so many levels that I've just got to keep this going.

BridgnorthWolf Inc

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest I can only recall the late winner at Charlton (when Sylvan scored the wonder goal) bit Wiki says he scored six. :eek:

He scored in the second half at Luton away. The third in a 3-1 win IIRC. What a rubbish away end that was. 2 urinals and one WC....still, they didn't deserve their relentless punishment meted out to them by the FA. When the big boys in the prem were accumulating massive debts too. Scandalous and hypocritical.. Rant over.

OsloWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Indeed. Welcome to the modern day footballer. Step forward, Jack Price.

S

StourbridgeWolf

Has Jack Price had a shot, let alone scored?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

D

Dewsburywolf

He scored in the second half at Luton away. The third in a 3-1 win IIRC. What a rubbish away end that was. 2 urinals and one WC....still, they didn't deserve their relentless punishment meted out to them by the FA. When the big boys in the prem were accumulating massive debts too. Scandalous and hypocritical.. Rant over.

Amen to that, notwithstanding the first sentence

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Henry was brilliant for 2/3 seasons but then needed replacing , like the manager, but to overlook how well he played at first is myopic and quite frankly laughable

M

Mr Wolf

Henry was brilliant for 2/3 seasons but then needed replacing , like the manager, but to overlook how well he played at first is myopic and quite frankly laughable

Agreed, Micks $$$$ kickers got promoted quite comfortably from the league above where we are & then finished comfortably in the Premiership & managed another season against all odds.

Now because we have had a 7 good/brilliant games in league 1 with probably 5 times the turnover of any other club in this league everything we did in the past should be looked down upon. Where were we 8 games ago?

Until this team & staff set up has got us promoted & competitive at the level above at least I will hold my breath before heaping loads of praise on them. Yes currently it's good but it is expected & lets hope the lessons have been learned & we don't put everyone on 5 year contracts for getting us promoted whilst they just stagnate in the championship for the remainder.

W

ws1wolf

Its fantastic they're scoring and playing fantastic.
On another note which is just important our defence, surely the midfield can claim plaudits for our great defensive record too :)

Last edited by a moderator:
E

Essex Wolf

Its fantastic they're scoring and playing fantastic.
On another note which is just important our defence, surely the midfield can claim pladits for our great defensive record too :)

It's an old cliché but It's a team game.

The whole team deserves credit.

S

Swansea Wolves

Agreed, Micks $$$$ kickers got promoted quite comfortably from the league above where we are & then finished comfortably in the Premiership & managed another season against all odds.

Now because we have had a 7 good/brilliant games in league 1 with probably 5 times the turnover of any other club in this league everything we did in the past should be looked down upon. Where were we 8 games ago?

Until this team & staff set up has got us promoted & competitive at the level above at least I will hold my breath before heaping loads of praise on them. Yes currently it's good but it is expected & lets hope the lessons have been learned & we don't put everyone on 5 year contracts for getting us promoted whilst they just stagnate in the championship for the remainder.

Generally I agree with this. Henry was fantastic for two seasons, and in patches, the second season in top flight. He had a disastrous third season, but I can't help feel sorry for him that year. Had the captaincy undeservedly taken away - as in what had Johnson done to deserve it. And the media also started targeting his way of breaking up play, which then fed through to referees. Unfortunately he wasn't mentally tough enough to cope with it.

I do however feel he was beginning to hamper us well before the 'meltdown', and although this is only League One, I do like the fluidity in the centre. While McDonald is probably the most adventurous of the two, Price can and does play lots of positive passes. The one to Ricketts vs Port Vale was a beaut and not something you saw much of from Henry. What he lacks is that ability to burst forward - something that can be worked on though because is does have a decent turn of pace.

Whether these two can play at the same level Henry managed to achieve, albeit fleetingly, will not be seen unless we can haul our arses into the Prem. Both players though with Jacobs currently sitting in front do have lots of talent and I'd love to see them manage it. I think they can.

M

Mr Wolf

Are our players are good on the ball but lets not forget time & space in this league are easy to find compared to above. You give anyone the amount of room McDonald & Price have strolled around with recently & of course you expect them to shine.

S

Swansea Wolves

Not all the games in the past seven have allowed as much time as in the Port Vale game. Although it's worth noting that when they did try to close us out quickly, we simply played some one touch football to get out of trouble and start a break.

IF we go up, I don't think they'll struggle with the Championship and will quickly acclimatise to the speed and physicality of it. We will need to bolster competition though as I'm not convinced with the back up.

M

Mr Wolf

Not all the games in the past seven have allowed as much time as in the Port Vale game. Although it's worth noting that when they did try to close us out quickly, we simply played some one touch football to get out of trouble and start a break.

Bradford & Notts County were played at about 60%, Bristol not much more.

I remember reading the Forest board after they got promoted from league 1 & we beat them 5-1 at home. Fair enough we went up as champions but they couldn't believe the speed we played with & the difference of the finishing quality.

I'm not overly worried about the bottom half of the championship but I want to see us in the playoffs at least next season.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bradford & Notts County were played at about 60%, Bristol not much more.

I remember reading the Forest board after they got promoted from league 1 & we beat them 5-1 at home. Fair enough we went up as champions but they couldn't believe the speed we played with & the difference of the finishing quality.

I'm not overly worried about the bottom half of the championship but I want to see us in the playoffs at least next season.
That 5-1 was perhaps Wolves best performance at Molineux in recent years? Tbh we haven't had many top performances at home in the past 4 seasons until now. You have to think this mf can/will make the step up and playing behind 1 striker the goals will continue.

D

Deleted at own request (WeAreTheWolves)

So golden boy Price has scored none and you still get someone having a go at Henry. And it doesn't make Price a bad player, nor did it make Henry a bad player because goals are not what they are in the team for.

And also the goals should be coming from midfield now. Take the SEB/Iwelumo partnership, we have an extra midfielder so in theory someone has to replicate the goals from both of them. One is Dicko (as striker) then the other must be a midfielder, which thankfully it is at the minute.

Back
Top Bottom