Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Our goals for

stever

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not sure why I haven't noticed it but the fact we've only scored 8 so far is alarming. Even Brighton who are in the bottom four have scored more. Interesting to know how Nuno is gonna change this.

Ewok vs Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
More support for Raul needed, Neto and Podence have got to try and get closer to him
On flip side the defensive record is good we just need to find a better balance

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't score more because we're not set-up for it, we are an ultra defensive side by design and with Nuno in charge nothing major will change only tinkering at the edges.
Any neutral will find us totally boring with no flair whatsoever.
Not having any attacking intent until well into the 2nd half is not what the fans want.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We only play three naturally attacking players and eight naturally defensive players .
But it’s effective .
( Just add Ronaldo ! )

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We won't score more because we're not set-up for it, we are an ultra defensive side by design and with Nuno in charge nothing major will change only tinkering at the edges.
Any neutral will find us totally boring with no flair whatsoever.
Not having any attacking intent until well into the 2nd half is not what the fans want.
I think thats a tad harsh.

I dont think we are ultra defensive. Are we cautious? Yes we are, but we arent ultra defensive. I dont think neutrals find us totally boring either, I speak to loads of fans of other clubs and they'll always praise individual players, that wouldnt happen if we were boring as people would just turn over.

Nuno has stated he's trying to evolve how we play but that simply doesnt happen overnight. We have been severely hampered by a tiny pre-season and then a load of meaningless internationals so he's hardly ever got the full group together.

Flea

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We don´t play Adama Traore.
This is the result.Eight goals for is sonewhat a disgrace,but it is the logical result when you put a player like Adama on the bench and instead plays a player like Podence..that no one outside some Wolves fans and Nuno thinks is better than Traore.

All stats thus far says it all.We don´t play Adama and we will continue to look like one of the very worst attacking teams in the Premier League.What more evidence is needed?

People are blind in their hate for Adama.

Mutchy

Administrator
Reaction score
This is the result.Eight goals for is sonewhat a disgrace,but it is the logical result when you put a player like Adama on the bench and instead plays a player like Podence..that no one outside some Wolves fans and Nuno thinks is better than Traore.

All stats thus far says it all.We don´t play Adama and we will continue to look like one of the very worst attacking teams in the Premier League.What more evidence is needed?

I can think of only one poster on MolMix who could be accused of showing any signs of 'hatred' for Adama. Your repeated accusations on a wider scale are unfounded.
Should other posters go on about you 'hating' Ruben Neves?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Stats? Look at traore goals and assists record last season and put it against Podence in 8 games this season. Identical.

Sedgers

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we'd had the transfer window we just had but also kept Jota and Doherty, there's no doubt we would have scored more. The fact is that we shipped guaranteed goals out (as much as you can guarantee anything in football) and bought the possibility of goals in. I think the club must have acknowledged that this would be a big risk, at least in the short term. I don't see Neto, Podence and Semedo scoring 15-20 goals between them this season.

RobB

Reaction score
Stop selling the few players who do score and maybe look to recruit players with a record of goalscoring. That said we looked a lot better against Palace and I hope we continue on in that vein.

The answer isn't someone without a goal in twenty eight games and barely an assist all year.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we'd had the transfer window we just had but also kept Jota and Doherty, there's no doubt we would have scored more. The fact is that we shipped guaranteed goals out (as much as you can guarantee anything in football) and bought the possibility of goals in. I think the club must have acknowledged that this would be a big risk, at least in the short term. I don't see Neto, Podence and Semedo scoring 15-20 goals between them this season.
Doherty doubled his wages and Jota joined the best team in the world last season, perhaps we couldn't keep them?

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At last!
Selling Jota and Doherty combined with Raul being a tad off the boil adds up to why our goals have dried up.
Sadly this season's Wolves are not as good as the team from the previous season.
Just my opinion.

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama only scored in 3 games out of 37 last season and 9 assists, he's hardly Messi
9 assists in this team is excellent tbf when he doesn't take set-pieces!!

Particularly as the vast majority of those were to Jimenez. Shows his crossing isn't that bad as he often found the one person we have in the box!

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At last!
Selling Jota and Doherty combined with Raul being a tad off the boil adds up to why our goals have dried up.
Sadly this season's Wolves are not as good as the team from the previous season.
Just my opinion.

Doherty did not turn into a world beater overnight. It took a while for him and the rest to develop the style that cut through opponents. And this goes back to the Championship when we were playing twice a week, most weeks. As opposed to now when it seems it's 3 or 4 a month at most.

Also, Jota went off the boil when we started in the Prem, it took him and Raul months and a formation change to really sparkle. I think it will take the same with the current lineup. Neto and Podence have loads of ability, it's just going to take some time for them to learn to play off each others strengths.

Main thing is to keep the defensive side as rock solid as it is...while the attacking side is further adjusted and developed. And I don't think we're going to be a side that turns opponents over 4- or 5-1 or something in this division, we aren't playing Bolton and Burton and more :) Comfortable 2 goal wins, like against Palace, is good enough for now.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
9 assists in this team is excellent tbf when he doesn't take set-pieces!!

Particularly as the vast majority of those were to Jimenez. Shows his crossing isn't that bad as he often found the one person we have in the box!
All I pointed out to "Flea" who was saying everyone can see how much better Adama is compared to Podence, is that the statistics dont show that at all. Adama goals and assists stats are no better (or indeed worse) than Podence or Neto, so anyone thinking he is head and shoulders above those two are mistaken.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This Adama argument is a joke quite frankly.

podence and Neto have done reasonably well so far albeit need to score more

traore has played Parts of games and had absolute no influence . Yes you need a run of games to get in form, but podence and Neto are getting their fair share of games to get into form and traores appearances ain’t exactly demand

ask spurs fans how good podence is ...tore them apart in the junction capacity assessments

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
At last!
Just my opinion.
Let’s see where we are after the season, not 8 games in or however many we have played

have some patience

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know im in the minority but in the whole I dont mind how we play. Id like us to score a few more goals and turn draws into wins but I dont see a massive problem there.

I liken us to a boxer. Some fight on their toes and some on their heels, there is benefits to both styles. I appreciate our defensive solidity, barring 3 or 4 games in the PL and Europe no one has really given us a smashing and on the whole we tend to "stay" in games. I would rather us win 3 games in a row 1-0 than win 2 games 5-4 and lose the other one 5-4 but thats just a personal thing.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just to echo @Ewok vs Wolf, while we need to score more, nobody has conceded fewer than we have.

Conceding fewer probably has a lot to do with how deep we have been playing for a lot of the games. Will give us a decent defensive record but not good when it comes to looking at the goals scored column.

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I know im in the minority but in the whole I dont mind how we play. Id like us to score a few more goals and turn draws into wins but I dont see a massive problem there.

I liken us to a boxer. Some fight on their toes and some on their heels, there is benefits to both styles. I appreciate our defensive solidity, barring 3 or 4 games in the PL and Europe no one has really given us a smashing and on the whole we tend to "stay" in games. I would rather us win 3 games in a row 1-0 than win 2 games 5-4 and lose the other one 5-4 but thats just a personal thing.
No boxer would fight the same fight and use the same tactics for say Tyson Fury as they would for Derek Chisora.
Or fighting Ali and then George Foreman.

They spend a training camp honing their tactics and sparring relevant sparring partners etc to optimise on their opponents weaknesses and to counter their opponents strengths.

They wouldn't just go in the ring and fight the same fight after same fight, whether they're a defensive fighter by nature or an offensive one.

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cobblers.
Exciting player, frustrating player. The question is, does how he works make the team more effective or not. I am unsure. What I will say is if he learned to run onto a moving ball, we would look a whole different outfit.

lobodelsur

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

This site
CIES Football Observatory
has a whole series of comparative statistics which suggest both Neto and Podence are more effective than Traore. To say any one is 'better' than any of the others is a bit facile as they all have different strengths (and weaknesses).

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No boxer would fight the same fight and use the same tactics for say Tyson Fury as they would for Derek Chisora.
Or fighting Ali and then George Foreman.

They spend a training camp honing their tactics and sparring relevant sparring partners etc to optimise on their opponents weaknesses and to counter their opponents strengths.

They wouldn't just go in the ring and fight the same fight after same fight, whether they're a defensive fighter by nature or an offensive one.
Lennox Lewis did. Mike Tyson did. Ricky Hatton did

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score

To extend the analogy: Floyd Mayweather (clinical, defensive counterpuncher) versus Arturo Gatti (center of the ring brawler).

Floyd would absolutely dominate a fight, but would rarely knock out his opponents (for an undefeated champion), but he would rarely get hurt in any of his fights. On the other hand, Gatti was known to probably get hit more in his wins than any other boxer in history and he probably ended up in hospital after more fights that he won than any other boxer in history. Gatti was obviously a more exciting fighter and a fan favorite—but was it a more successful style in the long run?

Last edited:

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Hate is a silly word to use in this context.

People do, however, vastly underestimate his contribution last season, and how much we miss that player at the moment.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When podence didn’t start last season people were fuming with nuno

It’s the classic case of a player gets better when they either don’t play or have left us

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To extend the analogy: Floyd Mayweather (clinical, defensive counterpuncher) versus Arturo Gotti (center of the ring brawler).

Floyd would absolutely dominate a fight, but would rarely knock out his opponents (for an undefeated champion), but he would rarely get hurt in any of his fights. On the other hand, Gotti was known to probably get hit more in his wins than any other boxer in history and he probably ended up in hospital after more fights that he won than any other boxer in history. Gotti was obviously a more exciting fighter and a fan favorite—but was it a more successful style in the long run?
AJ fighting Ruiz.

Fight one, stood his ground with the view of I'll just go through him, as he had done successfully with all other opponents to date. And got pumped.

Fight 2, he had it on his toes, went in lean, kept away and out boxed Ruiz.

He changed his tactics and approach and compromised some of his own instincts to get the right result.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not conceding guarantees us 1 point. Not scoring guarantees that we can't get 3 points.

We need to be more potent up front, even if that risks our defensive record. After all, it's better to win one and lose one than to draw both games!

Chisels_n_ommers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not conceding guarantees us 1 point. Not scoring guarantees that we can't get 3 points.

We need to be more potent up front, even if that risks our defensive record. After all, it's better to win one and lose one than to draw both games!
Yes and also with all of this VAR nonsense and soft penalties etc you're far better being around the opposition box than securing your own (Kilman handball!)

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Conceding fewer probably has a lot to do with how deep we have been playing for a lot of the games. Will give us a decent defensive record but not good when it comes to looking at the goals scored column.
Personally I think it has more to do with how deep the opposition has been in our games so far. I think as we play teams that open up more we'll score more goals.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Let’s see where we are after the season, not 8 games in or however many we have played

have some patience

A fair point mate but having watched all of our games played so far this season it is clear that so far our inability to score goals is our biggest problem.

Superted

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Lennox, could mix it any way he chose to - great boxer. The other two, relentless attack. Unfortunately it didn't end well for them, great boxers though.
So in a boxing analogy we must be Floyd Mayweather Jr?

Defensive master who generally wins on points just isn't a knock-out artist?

Edit: just noticed post #32.

Back
Top Bottom