Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Adama Traore!

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 143 45.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 175 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I definitely don’t understand people saying they’d rather keep him and let him go for free next summer than sell of £10m.
That would be like paying a £10m loan fee for one season, plus wages...

Also players naturally start being very cautious about injuries in the last year/6 months of contract if planning to move.
Because he’s worth more than £10m and if that’s all we are going to get for him now (clubs fault) then I’d keep him and let him play for a move/contract elsewhere.

We won’t be able to replace him with better (next season) for £10m so why not keep him and see what happens?

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A player it is easy to love or to hate.
My large appreciation of him is that opposition sides cannot take any liberties in their judgement and he always ties up two defenders. We simply don't have anyone who can demand such attention - which should make some room/ease some pressure to our advantage.That it doesn't suggests we have plenty of problems that may not be solved by not using him or by selling him.

I think its utter bull**** that people think posters actually hate him because they cant handle people dont think he is a god tier footballer. Its a pretty lame point of view. I'd be amazed if people genuinely hate any of our players.

In all honesty with him, the club have just stuffed up. If we are a sell to buy club, we didnt sell him when his stock was highest. We stuffed up letting his contract situation drag on and now we are left with this situation where as i said, the club will get crucified now whatever they do with him. Its been a complete ****show.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Because he’s worth more than £10m and if that’s all we are going to get for him now (clubs fault) then I’d keep him and let him play for a move/contract elsewhere.

We won’t be able to replace him with better (next season) for £10m so why not keep him and see what happens?

So what happens if we keep him, he has an absolutely out of this world season, but he still wont sign a contract and walks for nothing. It wont be the clubs fault, they offered him a very good deal by all accounts but they will be the ones who get lambasted for it.

wolvesaywe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think its utter bull**** that people think posters actually hate him because they cant handle people dont think he is a god tier footballer. Its a pretty lame point of view. I'd be amazed if people genuinely hate any of our players.

In all honesty with him, the club have just stuffed up. If we are a sell to buy club, we didnt sell him when his stock was highest. We stuffed up letting his contract situation drag on and now we are left with this situation where as i said, the club will get crucified now whatever they do with him. Its been a complete ****show.
Leicester are the latest example that a club can't just sell at the price they want. See Neves also

I can guarantee if we'd sold Traore for £30m in his period of maximum hype, when quotes of £60-70m were being spoken of, there'd have been absolute uproar on here

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Leicester are the latest example that a club can't just sell at the price they want. See Neves also

I can guarantee if we'd sold Traore for £30m in his period of maximum hype, when quotes of £60-70m were being spoken of, there'd have been absolute uproar on here
Damned if they do, damned if they don't....

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

There would have been from some, but 30 million would still have been a reasonably decent fee for an inconsistent footballer. My big issue with the whole thing is we just let it fester way too long and now we have put ourselves into a no win situation with a player who wants to be elsewhere. I dont believe the reports where he thinks he should be at a top 4 club, surely he isnt that stupid but i do think he reckons he's too good for us now. Its just been a complete mess with him.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a ****show when it comes to Traore, there is no other way to explain it. We could and should have sold him. He wouldn't sign a new contract and teams would have had him at a reasonable figure but we have got ourselves into a position where we may aswell just turn down £10m and let him go on a free.

And what makes it worse is, Scott and the committee have learnt **** all from it. Because as much as I hate to say it, they are doing the same with Neves.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It is a ****show when it comes to Traore, there is no other way to explain it. We could and should have sold him. He wouldn't sign a new contract and teams would have had him at a reasonable figure but we have got ourselves into a position where we may aswell just turn down £10m and let him go on a free.

And what makes it worse is, Scott and the committee have learnt **** all from it. Because as much as I hate to say it, they are doing the same with Neves.
It seems they’ve priced themselves out of the market with their Neves valuation, although I may yet be proved wrong.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Yeah but if they ship Neves for below £50M then this place would also be in uproar.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'm now quite chilled about Traore

If he won't sign a new contract then hopefully he has a good season with us and goes on a free. It's not the end of the world, we can't have every club and player over a barrel and make money on every player, there will be deals that don't work out for us.

Either get 10m and move on or he's part of the squad for 12 months, I'm ok with both. Not amazing business but It's not a disaster IMO.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I'm now quite chilled about Traore

If he won't sign a new contract then hopefully he has a good season with us and goes on a free. It's not the end of the world, we can't have every club and player over a barrel and make money on every player, there will be deals that don't work out for us.

Either get 10m and move on or he's part of the squad for 12 months, I'm ok with both. Not amazing but It's not a disaster.
Yeah, every club will lose players on a free. It will start happening more and more.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There would have been from some, but 30 million would still have been a reasonably decent fee for an inconsistent footballer. My big issue with the whole thing is we just let it fester way too long and now we have put ourselves into a no win situation with a player who wants to be elsewhere. I dont believe the reports where he thinks he should be at a top 4 club, surely he isnt that stupid but i do think he reckons he's too good for us now. Its just been a complete mess with him.
Trouble is Traore did himself no favours during his loan spell at Barcelona Imo.

For whatever reason he didn’t show the consistency required at a top club, a club he always wanted to play for as well. He was at Barcelona long enough to make an impression but for whatever reason it all fizzled out.

If he couldn’t hack it at Barcelona, why would any other top flight club think he could hack it with them!

Traore doesn’t want to be here and I am getting bored with his situation, which may affect other players. I am sure there will be offers for him before the transfer window closes (Everton or Leeds maybe). £5-£10million offers I would bite their hands off!

Last edited:

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah, every club will lose players on a free. It will start happening more and more.
Don’t disagree with you but I don’t see that happening to the likes of Man City or Liverpool.

They sell players like Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko, Mane etc while they still have high values before the end of their contracts. They then replace them with players just as good with the money they receive on long term contracts.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Don’t disagree with you but I don’t see that happening to the likes of Man City or Liverpool.

They sell players like Jesus, Sterling, Zinchenko, Mane etc while they still have high values before the end of their contracts. They then replace them with players just as good with the money they receive on long term contracts.
I mean, people want their players though? We didn't get good offers for Neves/Traore so our hands are a bit tied

Ned

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So what happens if we keep him, he has an absolutely out of this world season, but he still wont sign a contract and walks for nothing. It wont be the clubs fault, they offered him a very good deal by all accounts but they will be the ones who get lambasted for it.
Then we get a great season from him and probably finish a few places up the table.

I think everybody knows that he’s not accepting a contract so the club can’t be blamed.

Aylesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

And how exactly would you 'sell' a player if he didn't want to move to any club which made a suitable offer? If a player wants to run down his contract there really is nothing the club can do - I'm not sure why some find that difficult to understand?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Totally agree and with our current thin options in attack and no imminent arrival to replace Fabio, it seems and Chiquinho out we need him here.

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Barca want him, all their doing is trying to stitch us up and get him for nothing
If they "get him for nothing", his agents will make sure that he gets bigger wages and a bigger signing on fee so they still wont be getting him for nothing. Traore & Barca will be splitting the transfer fee savings between themselves. However if Traore gets a serious injury (like Chiquinio for example) then he loses out on a long lucrative contract so its not completely risk free for Traore.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they "get him for nothing", his agents will make sure that he gets bigger wages and a bigger signing on fee so they still wont be getting him for nothing. Traore & Barca will be splitting the transfer fee savings between themselves. However if Traore gets a serious injury (like Chiquinio for example) then he loses out on a long lucrative contract so its not completely risk free for Traore.
Not to mention the money he has already lost by not signing a new higher contract (and Barca were reported as paying him relative buttons).....

fleck1

Reaction score

He's worth nothing as there is zero market for him, he thinks he's a top 6 player and they don't hold any interest. Spurs sniffed around last year with 2 years left on his deal and weren't interested at anything over £15m, Barcelona had a try before you buy to try and drum up some interest and sent him back.
The only murmuring's of interest are Leeds and Everton which show exactly where his stock is at. He has zero interest in re-signing here, so its best all round he is moved on and we as a club move on. £10m doesn't sound a lot in footballing terms but is the first years £5m payment on two £20m players .

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see this having the makings of a film. Traore holding out for a move to a bigger club, Wolves play him due to injuries, we make it to the cup final, he scores the winner then goes down after a heavy challenge. He doesn't move. Fans fear the worst. He doesn't have a contract, could end in tragedy for him... then he wakes up, does a somersault, he's OK.

Oh hang on, is that Jerry Maguire?

ToastedWanderer

Groupie
Reaction score
I'm not sure a big move is coming for him, but if he goes, I hope its sooner rather than later seeing as we'll be prepping for Leeds soon enough. If he stays, I can see him winning us points second half. Get him competing for the start sheet, but use him off the bench if he doesn't step up and we should still see a positive influence on any game if used well..

Ian C

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A concern that, should he stay for the season, he's got little to prove, other than maybe a showcase for potential suitors. He didn't look very enthusiastic last season and I fear this he could be less so.

Can Bruno motivate him? Does he even want to bother...?

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A concern that, should he stay for the season, he's got little to prove, other than maybe a showcase for potential suitors. He didn't look very enthusiastic last season and I fear this he could be less so.

Can Bruno motivate him? Does he even want to bother...?
Re your last question…….”does he even want to bother?”
That can be viewed two ways…….does Bruno or Adama want to bother?

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The Traore situation hasnt helped either us or him
If he goes for free next season so be it ,but does he really expect big teams to be in a rush for him?
He is no where near consistent enough to hold down a place in a top team
Last season was a prime example
First 3 games he was brilliant,as soon as the transfer window closed it was like a light switch was thrown,straight back to his infuriating worst
He got his dream move to Barca,and did exactly the same there
He has to buckle down and get his head right, if he ever can, and perform for us this season like he did a couple of seasons back,then he just may get his big move,otherwise who cares really
Such a waste of talent,but it is what it is

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I just hope that we can get some of our money back by selling him. Of course, even if we get a decent offer for him, will Traore take the offer?
If, for example, Leeds, Everton or Newcastle offer us £15-£20m and double his current wages, Adama might think he can do better next season as a free agent and turn it down.

wwbug

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it so many times before too, but he's one bad hamstring injury away from being a very average player.

Look what happened to a player like Michael Owen.

Owen had blistering pace, but around he age of 26 (when he joined Newcastle), his injury problems started. He went from playing an average of over 40 games per season in the 8 full seasons since the start of his career, to 17 a season for the final 8 seasons of his career. The only saving grace for a player like Owen was he could fall-back on his positioning and finishing to adapt and become more of a poacher-type striker.

Imagine Traore with 20% less pace. What has he got to fall back on?

He's just had a hamstring injury too. Only a minor one, but it might be the start!
WL hadnt see your post before - very important and interesting.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Then we get a great season from him and probably finish a few places up the table.

I think everybody knows that he’s not accepting a contract so the club can’t be blamed.

People will though. It's just a ****show with him.

Hixon Wolf

Reaction score
Trouble is Traore did himself no favours during his loan spell at Barcelona Imo.

For whatever reason he didn’t show the consistency required at a top club, a club he always wanted to play for as well. He was at Barcelona long enough to make an impression but for whatever reason it all fizzled out.

If he couldn’t hack it at Barcelona, why would any other top flight club think he could hack it with them!

Traore doesn’t want to be here and I am getting bored with his situation, which may affect other players. I am sure there will be offers for him before the transfer window closes (Everton or Leeds maybe). £5-£10million offers I would bite their hands off!
I agree, he didn't show consistency cos he aint the top player that Barca need. However, he's a player we need. He doesn't want to play for us, we let he go on loan for free and it failed. He now wants to run his contract down and get another deal elsewhere. This is an unfortunate situation where nobody wins.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've said it so many times before too, but he's one bad hamstring injury away from being a very average player.

Owen had blistering pace, but around he age of 26 (when he joined Newcastle), his injury problems started. He went from playing an average of over 40 games per season in the 8 full seasons since the start of his career, to 17 a season for the final 8 seasons of his career. The only saving grace for a player like Owen was he could fall-back on his positioning and finishing to adapt and become more of a poacher-type striker.

He's just had a hamstring injury too. Only a minor one, but it might be the start!

Good post.
Giggs is another that did manage injury to maintain success because he had talent to fall back on....a bullet of a left winger early in his career, then when his hammys started going he managed himself and gradually dropped backwards and reinvented his game, but kept playing at the top level for the same club...24 years, which is unthinkable today.
The player that ended the career was nothing like the one that started it, but i don't think Traore will have the game for it.

North West Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Chelsea lost two high class defenders just.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
People will though. It's just a ****show with him.
Well, imo, people shouldn’t blame the club.
Behind closed doors, he must have made Wolves mgt. draw on reserves of patience they didn’t know they had.

Reactions: DPE

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree, he didn't show consistency cos he aint the top player that Barca need. However, he's a player we need. He doesn't want to play for us, we let he go on loan for free and it failed. He now wants to run his contract down and get another deal elsewhere. This is an unfortunate situation where nobody wins.
To be fair, as it stands today, ( as far as I know), we don’t know what he wants or what he intends to do.
I hope he at least has been fully honest with Jeff and both have had frank and clear talks.
He owes Wolves that.

Halesowen wwfc

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I can see this having the makings of a film. Traore holding out for a move to a bigger club, Wolves play him due to injuries, we make it to the cup final, he scores the winner then goes down after a heavy challenge. He doesn't move. Fans fear the worst. He doesn't have a contract, could end in tragedy for him... then he wakes up, does a somersault, he's OK.

Oh hang on, is that Jerry Maguire?
All while he is saying show me the money

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

He loses his pace he'll still he able to beat people. You talk as though he just kicks it and runs after it, when in reality half the time he beats people at half-pace.
He'll still be quick when he's 35. He's hardly at his top speed at any point in a game.
Owen's quite reasonable pace(not in the same league as Adama's) had him able to find space that he couldn't find without it. He became a poacher that couldn't poach. Adama has never been able to find space, so I don't see how it will make much difference.
And I've said before people spoke about Michail Antonio at 25/26 saying he'd never make it in the Premier League he is just pace power and nothing else.

Back
Top Bottom