Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Adama Traore!

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 143 45.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 175 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Out of curiousity how many assists did he get in the season where him and Raul seemed telepathic? Double figures?

13 (9 in the Premier League). At the time, him and Raul were the joint second highest goal/assist partnership for a single season in Premier League history (they’ve now been knocked down to third by Kane and Son).

I’m genuinely not that worried about his lack of assists because he is involved in creating so many chances. Just off the top of my head…

Villa away this year. No assists but heavily involved in all three goals.

Arsenal away last year. Both goals due to unbelievable runs transitioning us up the pitch (Dendoncker hits the bar with a free header from six yards from his cross where we score the rebound).

Brighton away last year. Amazing performance. Wins us a penalty then with the last kick of the game, puts in a perfect cross which Otasowie heads over.

The run for the Sevilla penalty.

Jota’s goal at Spurs where Tanganga tries to assault him and just bounces off.

The goal in the 1-0 win against Leeds where he runs past three players, smashes it off the bar, hits Meslier on the way out and goes in.

The Villa game at home in the first season. The Neves goal from the free kick comes from Adama running nearly the length of the pitch before Mings injured himself having to take him out.

His ability to transition us up the pitch has been so important in this Wolves side which was built on an ability to absorb pressure and then counter effectively. Wouldn’t have expected it to be the same in a side like Barca who routinely have 70% of the ball and are trying to break down sides who sit deep and park the bus.

The one thing I will (and have always) criticised him for is his goal return. Should be (and in a side like ours which doesn’t score many, needs to be) much, much higher.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
All the best results maybe. Performances no. And we've probably reverted to the mean in terms of what we deserved to get. Are you honestly trying to tell me Southampton was a better performance than Man United?

And hwang doesn't really give anything other than a very modest amount of goals. I have time for a poacher but he's had 2 goals since he signed permanently.

Are we a Norwich? No. But you really might want to take a second look at our form since the end of January. It is down there with the worst of them

Our poor form isnt down to Adama going to Spain though. Saiss dropped in form. So did Coady. We lost Neves, Podence, Kilman and Semedo for extended periods of time. Its all contributed and i dont think its in question that during our good spell Podence, Coady, Saiss, Neves, Kilman and Semedo were key components to what we were doing. We just dont have the squad depth to cover that amount of loss of form or injury. We all knew we would be in trouble if it happened, and when it did it wasnt surprising.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
13 (9 in the Premier League). At the time, him and Raul were the joint second highest goal/assist partnership for a single season in Premier League history (they’ve now been knocked down to third by Kane and Son).

I’m genuinely not that worried about his lack of assists because he is involved in creating so many chances. Just off the top of my head…

Arsenal away last year. Both goals due to unbelievable runs transitioning us up the pitch (Dendoncker hits the bar with a free header from six yards from his cross where we score the rebound).

Brighton away last year. Amazing performance. Wins us a penalty then with the last kick of the game, puts in a perfect cross which Otasowie heads over.

The goal in the 1-0 win against Leeds where he runs past three players, smashes it off the bar, hits Meslier on the way out and goes in.

The Villa game at home in the first season. The Neves goal from the free kick comes from Adama running nearly the length of the pitch before Mings injured himself having to take him out.

His ability to transition us up the pitch has been so important in this Wolves side which was built on an ability to absorb pressure and then counter effectively. Wouldn’t have expected it to be the same in a side like Barca who routinely have 70% of the ball and are trying to break down sides who sit deep and park the bus.

The one thing I will (and have always) criticised him for is his goal return. Should be (and in a side like ours which doesn’t score many, needs to be) much, much higher.
So include goals he was well into double figures that season, no players come close to that recently.

Good point about the Sevilla penalty that was missed, was that the last one we awarded to!!!!! Joking there but again he commits defenders creating space

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So include goals he was well into double figures that season, no players come close to that recently.

Good point about the Sevilla penalty that was missed, was that the last one we awarded to!!!!! Joking there but again he commits defenders creating space

From my perspective playing in a side with 3 attackers, the wider attackers should be able to chip in with around between 10 and 15 goal contributions each between them. I dont think its unreasonable to ask the likes of Adama and Neto ( if they play regularly in a full season ) to be scoring 6 or 7 goals a season in the premier league and provide roughly the same in assists. Its not like we are asking Bakary Sako type stats from them. We cant afford to carry attackers that dont chip in, and its what we have been doing.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

6 goals that year. 4 in the Premier League, 2 in the Europa.

I don’t actually think his performances in subsequent seasons have been that different. Last season, he didn’t really have a striker to play with and this year, I thought he looked fantastic at the very start and just before he was loaned out.

A lot of our worst attacking performances (Norwich three times, Palace twice, Burnley away, Newcastle away, Southampton away, Brighton at home, West Ham away) all came when he hasn’t started.

As much I’d love us to magically transform into some total footballing side (and with Trincao, Podence and a returning Neto was hopeful we would) in his absence, that hasn’t really happened yet and will probably require a change to the overall system in order to do so.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
6 goals that year. 4 in the Premier League, 2 in the Europa.

I don’t actually think his performances in subsequent seasons have been that different. Last season, he didn’t really have a striker to play with and this year, I thought he looked fantastic at the very start and just before he was loaned out.

A lot of our worst attacking performances (Norwich three times, Palace twice, Burnley away, Newcastle away, Southampton away, Brighton at home, West Ham away) all came when he hasn’t started.

As much I’d love us to magically transform into some total footballing side (and with Trincao, Podence and a returning Neto was hopeful we would) in his absence, that hasn’t really happened yet and will probably require a change to the overall system in order to do so.

We need more fluid attackers imo. Chiquinho to me looks the sort of player that can comfortably operate either side. Guedes is probably similar in that respect if we got him and he can score goals. I dont really see Hwang, Adama or Trincao being able to do that.

I agree though, the system needs a shake up. We will have a different looking midfield so maybe its time to switch things around.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Form isn't an argument....largely irrelevant... Traore doesn't want to be here....how long is it gonna take for it to sink in for some.....it can't be any more clearer surely......do we try n sell him for as much as we can , to reinvest or do we let him stay here for 12 months, take a wage out of the club and walk for free ...

It's not difficult....form assists performance and everything isn't relevant....

Our poor form isnt down to Adama going to Spain though. Saiss dropped in form. So did Coady. We lost Neves, Podence, Kilman and Semedo for extended periods of time. Its all contributed and i dont think its in question that during our good spell Podence, Coady, Saiss, Neves, Kilman and Semedo were key components to what we were doing. We just dont have the squad depth to cover that amount of loss of form or injury. We all knew we would be in trouble if it happened, and when it did it wasnt surprising.
Sorry, I disagree. Jonny is more than adequate cover for Semedo. Yeah Neves and Kilman were a massive loss, but Podence and Saiss? No. That performance against Crystal palace which was the start of the rot was down to how often Podence in particular lost the ball in our own half every couple of minutes. They hemmed us in. We had no way of getting up the field. We conceded twice and blamed it on every kid we could.
Saiss was adequately replaced by Toti.
And you are neglecting the impact Adama had on the games in January, games which could have easily gone either way.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
From my perspective playing in a side with 3 attackers, the wider attackers should be able to chip in with around between 10 and 15 goal contributions each between them. I dont think its unreasonable to ask the likes of Adama and Neto ( if they play regularly in a full season ) to be scoring 6 or 7 goals a season in the premier league and provide roughly the same in assists. Its not like we are asking Bakary Sako type stats from them. We cant afford to carry attackers that dont chip in, and its what we have been doing.
Did Neto Trincao Podence get that between them? That’s the worry, easily a whole season between them and what 5 goals? Very worrying

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sorry, I disagree. Jonny is more than adequate cover for Semedo. Yeah Neves and Kilman were a massive loss, but Podence and Saiss? No. That performance against Crystal palace which was the start of the rot was down to how often Podence in particular lost the ball in our own half every couple of minutes. They hemmed us in. We had no way of getting up the field. We conceded twice and blamed it on every kid we could.
Saiss was adequately replaced by Toti.
And you are neglecting the impact Adama had on the games in January, games which could have easily gone either way.

Podence was easily our most creative attacking player ( thats not saying much i know ). He's the only player we have who could link up the midfield to the attack. He does lose the ball a fair bit but he was still badly missed. You cant throw a game against Palace up and not blame the whole side. We were garbage as a team in both games. You could go back over the whole season really and pick and choose games where some players were awful and others played well.

Up until the Afcon, Saiss had been immense.I dont see how anyone can deny that, he was playing the best football of his Wolves career. After he came back, he just couldnt for whatever reason get his form back.

Semedo and Kilman were massive losses. As good as Jonny is, that right side without Kilman and Semedo was so much weaker. I dont see how thats even an argument. We missed both immensely.

Adama would have been handy to have, but the point was losing him wasnt the reason our season fell off a cliff. If we kept most of that core of players i mentioned on the field and in form, i doubt we collapse the way we did.

Last edited:

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Did Neto Trincao Podence get that between them? That’s the worry, easily a whole season between them and what 5 goals? Very worrying

Neto i kind of give a pass after his injury. Trincao had was it a couple of goals and an assist? ( premier league only ) Podence similar. Not really good enough. I think Hwang had something like 8 goal contributions. Its what i have been saying for ages. They all at times have done good things, and i think Podence opens a fair bit up for us, but you cant carry attackers with such poor goal contributions.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happens with Traore - he is not s**** and no other player is close for the excitement value.

Does he work for our team? Sometimes - plenty of evidence for and against.

Does he scare opposition and push them back? 100%

Is he a future starter or bench/rotation player? Probably the latter

Will he leave this Summer? I expect so

Will he leave with my best wishes? Yes (preferably out of PL)

Enough said - will get my hat and close the thread.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Whatever happens with Traore - he is not s**** and no other player is close for the excitement value.

I think its going to depend on our system. If we play with genuine width, i'd be pushing to keep him as he is the best out and out winger at the club.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Podence was easily our most creative attacking player ( thats not saying much i know ). He's the only player we have who could link up the midfield to the attack. He does lose the ball a fair bit but he was still badly missed. You cant throw a game against Palace up and not blame the whole side. We were garbage as a team in both games. You could go back over the whole season really and pick and choose games where some players were awful and others played well.

Up until the Afcon, Saiss had been immense.I dont see how anyone can deny that, he was playing the best football of his Wolves career. After he came back, he just couldnt for whatever reason get his form back.

Semedo and Kilman were massive losses. As good as Jonny is, that right side without Kilman and Semedo was so much weaker. I dont see how thats even an argument. We missed both immensely.

Adama would have been handy to have, but the point was losing him wasnt the reason our season fell off a cliff. If we kept most of that core of players i mentioned on the field and in form, i doubt we collapse the way we did.
Sorry, I don't think our right side did massively. Semedo came back in for a couple of games, did our form improve dramatically. I don't think so.
For me podence is our Kinkladze. He creates more than anyone else when he plays, but has large spells where is completely out the game and as a result we create less as a team. You have to be really selective to say he's our most creative player.
The guy is probably a better finisher, passer, but his decision making is as bad as traores in a different way. He is an overthinker. The kind that tries to chip the keeper when it isn't on. The guy that, rather than takes a shot on goal, would rather wait for the defender to get back to him so he can beat him again. It looks great when it works, but you have to ignore the countless other times when it doesn't, which in case you haven't noticed by now, isn't very often.

1972 i began

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shirley there has to be summat in place,where he signs an extension on his contract if it didn't work out at Barcelona.And wolves won't stop him leaving if another team come in for him.That way we don't lose out altogether when his one year left contract runs out.Otherwise it's just bin a total failure,with his loan.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t hit a cows **** with a banjo. The only thing we’ll miss is the disappointment of yet another mazy run, everyone eager in anticipation, until the shot or cross is hit waywardly into the south bank.

if we had a defender who looked great, but constantly ****ed up and cost us goal after goal - would you all want him, as he’s great entertainment? Would you ****?
You have described half our defence.

Sheffield Wolf

Reaction score
Bully scored goals - lots of them - much more exciting than watching the inevitable 'Traore gets ball, slows down play, takes on two players, moves swiftly to corner and....oh, shame.'
Bully scored goals - lots of them - much more exciting than watching the inevitable 'Traore gets ball, slows down play, takes on two players, moves swiftly to corner and....oh, shame.'
He still gets fans excited, despite the all too often lack of end product and let’s face it, we were certainly lacking excitement towards the end of the season.

He also puts teams on the back foot, because they know not to let him get the wrong side of them, meaning they don’t get as many players supporting their forwards and he’s a huge upgrade on Hwang and Trincao.

Bill McCai

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dembele is apparently signing for Chelsea. I still dont think Barcelona will be interested in Traore now.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He has turned into our pogba....had one really good season, but hasn't done much to warrant a new bumper deal over the last couple of seasons....he can be brilliant, but also absolutely rubbish . do we just leave him to walk for free or try and get what we can ....I can not believe people still think he should get a new deal....get out of our club....
You speak for yourself. Personally l would rather that you "get out of our club" than Adama. Thankfully you have **** all to do with any club decision making.

Last edited:

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You speak for yourself. Personally l would rather that you "get out of our club" than Adama. Thankfully you have **** all to do with any club decision making.
I go a long longer back than adama, and will go a lot longer forward than adama...and I'm quicker to follow us everywhere, all over the place..

What sort of comment is that , just cause I want us to get a fee for a player who doesn't want to be here....and I support the club because I believe the club, when the say they have offered him a reasonable deal......

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I go a long longer back than adama, and will go a lot longer forward than adama...and I'm quicker to follow us everywhere, all over the place..

What sort of comment is that , just cause I want us to get a fee for a player who doesn't want to be here....and I support the club because I believe the club, when the say they have offered him a reasonable deal......
Now that sort of measured comment l understand and actually agree quite a lot of. Slightly different to "get out of our club".

Incidentally, I know that l don't always fully practice what l preach, hence finding myself in trouble with the mods periodically....

Brixton Wanderer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

This is a great post.

I’m not his biggest fan but don’t dislike him either. I think with where we’re at currently (not knowing what our targets our in the window) I would keep him if he’s committed, used in rotation and not on silly wages.

This said, he does need to get more assists. Only x3 big chances created in his games with us this season, which I think for a player of his capability (to have the speed and strength he has at his disposal) isn’t enough.

Another thing to consider is, has Adama done enough to take minutes from Chiquinho? Are we better off developing him rather than having a player here who (it seems) doesn’t have his heart fully in it?

wolvesjoe

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Saiss was carrying an injury after afcon

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why we keep going over this all the time, some love him on here and some hate him, it's probably about 50 - 50. But if you ask the 32 thousand fans who go to Molineux on a Saturday, you're probably find it's more like 80 - 20 in favour of keeping him
Very much doubt that. Using my circle of friends as a barometer, it's 80/20 in favour of him doing the offs.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I've always been of the opinion there is a really good player in him, but its as a winger who stays out wide. If we played 442 he would be one of the first players picked. Unfortunatley, i dont think his game is fluid enough and it doesnt have enough goal contributions in it to really thrive in a system like a lot of teams play these days. I'd like him to prove me wrong, but i doubt its going to happen because he still hasnt improved the things in his game that need improving.
Yes agree with the fact by far his ideal formation is 442 with a full back behind covering him so more of a defensive fb who stays behind him and not an attacking fb. Would love to see him in this set up.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
some love him on here and some hate him
Probably more accurate to say that most of us on here love the immense excitement generated when Adama plays, but acknowledge his limitations.

IMO if Adama could accept the likely fact that he would often be used as an impact sub, he would be a valuable contributor next season.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just for balance, what are people expecting from him, assist wise?

Assist every other game? Every third game?
Considering that he’s relatively ‘unstoppable’, then surely 1 in 3-4 should be achievable.
Make that 1 in 5 if consider our poor chance creation and finishing.
He managed that once, in his great purple patch of the Europa season, significantly helped by an aerially dominant Raul.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t hit a cows **** with a banjo. The only thing we’ll miss is the disappointment of yet another mazy run, everyone eager in anticipation, until the shot or cross is hit waywardly into the south bank.

if we had a defender who looked great, but constantly ****ed up and cost us goal after goal - would you all want him, as he’s great entertainment? Would you ****?

No one can coach adama. He has one thing and that is pace.
His finishing is poor, his crossing is poor, his vision is poor, his movement is non existent…… but other than that, he’s great

Can think of a few of our defenders in recent weeks that would apply to your second paragraph, Leominster!

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don't know why we keep going over this all the time, some love him on here and some hate him, it's probably about 50 - 50. But if you ask the 32 thousand fans who go to Molineux on a Saturday, you're probably find it's more like 80 - 20 in favour of keeping him
I think @Tring Wolf made a very compelling case for keeping him above.

I’d probably take another season off him … even if he walks away for nothing after. We’re stronger with him as an option than without.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Probably more accurate to say that most of us on here love the immense excitement generated when Adama plays, but acknowledge his limitations.

IMO if Adama could accept the likely fact that he would often be used as an impact sub, he would be a valuable contributor next season.
If you wached the complete lack of excitement in the last 8 games, no wonder people are crying out for it,but it's not only that, he gets us in the opposing teams half, gets us attacking, 2 or 3 players have to mark him creating space for others. Yes he has to improve his asists and goals, which he was doing at Barcelona at the start of his loan, before being unfairly dropped, because he was just being used to make another player sign a contract.

Arky_R

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

He may not be **** but he's not very good.

For someone of his age he doesn't do a lot of the basics and has had multiple coaches.

I can see the appeal he's fast and of course on that front theres nobody like him.

He does create space as a result which should be exploited....(maybe not his fault but maybe his speed stops others helping)

The problem is what he does next and always has been.

I see him nothing more than last 30/20 minutes of a game player.

He will always be the nearly man, he could be something really special but he won't.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yadda Yadda Yadda, things is teams can't can't risk not dealing with him regardless of stats, that fear factor is exactly why we should be keeping him
Fear of what though bod?

He has very few assists and there a wingers in league 2 with better finishing.

His crosses more often than not are lobbed into the air and keepers claim them with relative ease or defenders can deal with them very easily. Not many crosses produce easy to execute headers due to this if a player does get unmarked.

I would bet every last penny in my bank account that traore couldn’t have put that cross in for the coady goal.

He has little to no decent end product, so what is there really to be so scared of?

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need new blood , not saiss and traore ....over nobody off course I would keep traore....but I don't see that as the plan ....... despite all the doom n gloom......it was doom n gloom 12 months ago......will we challenge the top No.....are we a Norwich No....

If some of us cant want a bloke to leave who doesn't want to be here, then deary me ...it's another Steven Fletcher......traore couldn't even be ***** to warm up on the bench in Oct/Nov /Dec. seen it regularly..it took em ages to shout him one game, I remember....all the decent performances then came without Traore... .

Hwang has scored more this season than traore ever has .. you wouldn't see hwang being backed up if he wouldn't sign a new deal and he had missed the chances traore did in the first four games .
And I couldn’t agree more with your last statement! Hwang keeps trying even though things aren’t paying off and he actually wants to be here so why can’t people forgive his limitations when points on the board he contributes far more….. but people say they forgive his limitations because he makes them get off their seat before he disappoints them, but hwang had you off your chairs jumping for ACTUAL joy than traore but Hwang is getting a really uncomfortable level
Of abuse when compared to the defence of a guy who quit on us, created the **** situation with the loan that is now another stick to beat the club with….. but of course blame the club for letting him leave when HE pushed to leave and his team helped set up the loan…… but again we can’t be blaming traore for his actions or lack of contribution especially when he won’t sign the contract…..

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Fear of what though bod?

He has very few assists and there a wingers in league 2 with better finishing.

His crosses more often than not are lobbed into the air and keepers claim them with relative ease or defenders can deal with them very easily. Not many crosses produce easy to execute headers due to this if a player does get unmarked.

I would bet every last penny in my bank account that traore couldn’t have put that cross in for the coady goal.

He has little to no decent end product, so what is there really to be so scared of?
The fear is evident in that 2 or possibly 3 players will mark him. Ask the mangers of those teams why. It doesn't happen with our other players.

As for players in league 2, well that's just daft those players wouldn't get into the positions in the first place, something again that detractors forget, many of his opportunities are made by his ability that others couldn't do in the first place.

On a completely different point if we are to build this brand players like traore are the ones that get us noticed, his rating in the FIFA games make him a player that is wanted in the game, thus raising our profile as a club, other players won't do this in the same way.

Back
Top Bottom