Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Adama Traore!

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 143 45.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 175 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I wouldn’t necessarily say he hasn’t got a football brain but his skill and speed are world class yet his decision making is Championship. And his shooting abilities…Crikey O’Reilly!!!
Still want to keep him though. Love the guy!
I don't think his decision making is bad at all. I don't think Podences is any better. People just pick and choose the clever ones and say he's a genius. Hwang and Trincao's certainly aren't.

His movement off the ball is another story.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
There's no doubt he is a bit of a Marmite player. Personally I love Marmite and Adama.
I want to see exciting players on the pitch and not just sideways and backwards safety first all the time. I do think for all his lack of goals and assists he does bring something to the game and part of the problem is he is so fast and we play so deep he often has to check back rather than have an instant option which causes him to over think things sometimes.
As for saying don't play him if he won't commit to us, surely you just play the best team you've got from whose available regardless of where their future lies, and if he is deemed good enough who cares if he won't sign and is leaving next year as long as he gives 100% when he is on the pitch for us- plus we are still paying him anyway.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
myth, i have seen him play many through balls on the ground to players running into space in front of him, also win the ball in midfield and lay it off. Total and utter myth the awareness and vision thing. Lack of football brain? do me a favour you don't play at the level he is at just on physical attributes otherwise these football skills youtubers wouldn't be on youtube they'd be playing.

I think he lack awareness, i dont think he lacks a football brain. I still think his biggest issue is his tendancy to ball watch.

I still dont think he fits our system. He's an out and out winger, and we play with wide attackers. It was a huge issue for us that none of them had enough goal contributions. You need them to have probably 12-14 direct goal contributions each and all of ours were woeful in that department.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
There's no doubt he is a bit of a Marmite player. Personally I love Marmite and Adama.
I want to see exciting players on the pitch and not just sideways and backwards safety first all the time. I do think for all his lack of goals and assists he does bring something to the game and part of the problem is he is so fast and we play so deep he often has to check back rather than have an instant option which causes him to over think things sometimes.
As for saying don't play him if he won't commit to us, surely you just play the best team you've got from whose available regardless of where their future lies, and if he is deemed good enough who cares if he won't sign and is leaving next year as long as he gives 100% when he is on the pitch for us- plus we are still paying him anyway.

I'd rather put our effort into developing players who are here and want to be here, Chiqiunho for example. Its not like Adama was a first choice player anyway. Just sell him for whatever we can get and invest the money.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If we’re going to form an orderly queue for handing out criticism based on shooting skills, there are plenty that would be ahead of Adama. Neves aside (and his shooting boots went missing for the best part of 2 years), I haven’t got much faith in any of them hitting a venomous shot that hits the target, from 18 yards. An area we desperately need to improve on.

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd rather put our effort into developing players who are here and want to be here, Chiqiunho for example. Its not like Adama was a first choice player anyway. Just sell him for whatever we can get and invest the money.
Any player who doesn't want to be here should be moved on. Chiiq looks really good.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we’re going to form an orderly queue for handing out criticism based on shooting skills, there are plenty that would be ahead of Adama. Neves aside (and his shooting boots went missing for the best part of 2 years), I haven’t got much faith in any of them hitting a venomous shot that hits the target, from 18 yards. An area we desperately need to improve on.

I agree. Its not all on Adama. I said it all season, pretty much every attacking player we had didnt contribute enough.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Any player who doesn't want to be here should be moved on. Chiiq looks really good.

Exactly. And i'm not against keeping Adama either, but he's got to accept he isnt a 100k plus a week player. He just doesnt contribute enough for that kind of salary. Maybe a 2 year deal on a lower contract would work for both parties. If he steps up and performs to the level he did towards the end of 2019 then we can renegotiate.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think he lack awareness, i dont think he lacks a football brain. I still think his biggest issue is his tendancy to ball watch.

I still dont think he fits our system. He's an out and out winger, and we play with wide attackers. It was a huge issue for us that none of them had enough goal contributions. You need them to have probably 12-14 direct goal contributions each and all of ours were woeful in that department.
I
Moutinho's is decent too, but these days he's only in a shooting position once every month.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was better technically do you think he'd ever be playing for Wolves considering his other attributes? The bloke would be worth 100m.

This is what I don't get. We're a mid table side. We don't have the luxury to be able to turn our nose up at a player who offers such a unique threat to the opposition. Take his assist vs West Ham last year. There are very few players in world football who can do that from where he picks the ball up.

We all love Moutinho, but we know his weaknesses. No one says, oh yeh, he can pass but he's a bit slow isn't he? It's as if unless Adama is the most complete player in history then he isn't worth bothering with.
I have consistently said our issue is three slow defensive players; two in Cm and one CD. Commit to much up front and we are screwed on the break after the yellows for necessary fouls.

Banks's Mild

Groupie
Reaction score
Fair point but it depends on how much you can get for him with only 1 year left and we already have a small squad so he would have to be replaced.
As for Chiquinho being used as an example, as much as I really like the look of him he has only played 1 full game for us and in my opinion is probably at least a season away from being a regular playing 90 minutes week in week out.
A lot obviously depends on who if anybody we get in over the coming days/weeks but as it stands we need to keep as many experienced players as we can otherwise it's going to be a long tough season.
As said I would keep him anyway but do understand why some wouldn't.

Evthewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I have consistently said our issue is three slow defensive players; two in Cm and one CD. Commit to much up front and we are screwed on the break after the yellows for necessary fouls.
Can’t disagree with that and I echo your thoughts. A quicker centre back who doesn’t need to sit so deep and two midfielders either side of Neves, that both have engines, that enable them to get up and down and I am convinced we would be transformed. With support from midfield, I think our attacking options are fine.

It was the complete lack of support from midfield, in the final third, that made our attack look so weak and isolated.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can’t disagree with that and I echo your thoughts. A quicker centre back who doesn’t need to sit so deep and two midfielders either side of Neves, that both have engines, that enable them to get up and down and I am convinced we would be transformed. With support from midfield, I think our attacking options are fine.

It was the complete lack of support from midfield, in the final third, that made our attack look so weak and isolated.
Both our main midfielders are in the lowest 2 percentile for touches in the box this season.
Add to that wing-backs that aren't particularly effective going forward and 1 centre forward that with his new mask is "having to relearn how to head the ball" and another that looks like he hasn't learned how to head it in the first place.

It's no wonder we were one of the lowest in the league for creating chances.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Gosh I hope not. Far too inconsistent for the PL.
In 3.5 seasons, he played only one good season, benched many times by Nuno, Bruno and Barca.
IMO, no point in throwing good money after bad. Not even a years extension at the same money he gets now.
I think he gets around £2,600,000 a year. Put that to better use.
Maybe an option for another year, ( maybe ).

I wonder if this window if any PL club will offer £15m for him? Maybe a Championship club might but would Adama even consider a move like that?

My preference would be for him to be sold this summer for 20m, but that’s a fading hope. In the absence of that, I’d be happy to see him sign a new 3 year contract with a healthy bump in wages, and given the objective of earning himself a starting position at Wolves, or a big money move in a future window. Making a cheap move now or refusing to sign a new contract risks damaging his career and Wolves forgoing potential value.

The bottom line. For the right club, he’s worth more than 15m even with his limitations. The only reason he may go for that money this summer, is because he is running down his contract.

old wittonian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Tell that to Johnny.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We had one, his name was Trincao and he was dull to watch. Traore can get us up the pitch in mere seconds, he is box office and he frightens the life out of defenders.
Trincao was dull, he was mostly ineffective and I pray we don't sign him... however, statistically he was more than twice as effective than Adama given his minutes on the pitch. Chiquinho's stats were better still.

Yes people want to see him play, he is arguably "exciting" but he's more freak show than box office. We'd have had no trouble shifting him for a decent price if he was truly box office.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Coutinho went to Barca and bombed…Ibrahimovic, Fabregas, Griezmann…
All far far far better players than adama who have either excelled in other clubs and won major honours and been focal points and leaders on the pitch over many seasons.

If your going to use other players as a benchmark to excuse adama, use ones who weren’t fantastic players before and after they went there….

Adama has only ever had 3/4’s or a good season in his entire career

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

In modern football is the space for an out an out winger anymore, because they're just becoming Wingbacks.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If he was better technically do you think he'd ever be playing for Wolves considering his other attributes? The bloke would be worth 100m.

This is what I don't get. We're a mid table side. We don't have the luxury to be able to turn our nose up at a player who offers such a unique threat to the opposition. Take his assist vs West Ham last year. There are very few players in world football who can do that from where he picks the ball up.

We all love Moutinho, but we know his weaknesses. No one says, oh yeh, he can pass but he's a bit slow isn't he? It's as if unless Adama is the most complete player in history then he isn't worth bothering with.
Wow one or two moments a season for Adama “the highlight” traore lol

Moutinho brings; winning experience, 149 international caps, far far far more consistent performances and while slow is a far more intelligent footballer who can read a game and influence it in far more ways than adama can.

Adama is all “potential threat” at best as it is seldom anything comes from anything he does. Hwang gets slaughtered yet has as many goals as adama in 1/3 the time.

Not turning my nose up at him, he turned his up on us when he forced the club into the terrible loan at Barca and wanted to become our top paid player or close too when he isn’t even close to worth that kind of money. I won’t defend or continue to make excuses for a players shortcomings by shifting the blame when he isn’t worthy of our support as he did a Stephen fletcher “heads gone” DURING the season!!

The guy is a quitter! He is quitting on the only prem team who were willing to take a punt on him and one where fans adore him when other players delivering the same lack of assists and goals would get slaughtered.

Sorry but he isn’t worth all the tension and arguements he causes. Chiqinho at 3.5 million i Would make a sizeable bet will achieve more in his career than adama! He is fast, tenacious and has a wand of a cross.

If that Chelsea cross to coady were to ever happen again Adama is never in a month of Sundays putting in a ball of that quality. But the 22/23 year old with no prem experience did.

Focus on the people who actually want to be here mate.

Coleshill Wolf

Groupie
Reaction score
Surely, as he wasn't able to get his dream move to Barca, if he does stay, he's going to be playing at the top of his game to get a move to a decent club.... As things stand, his standing has dropped dramatically and therefore the number of potential suitors has also dipped.

Maybe I'm hoping for too much but it could be a win win for the club and for Adama.... But I'm not adverse to playing Chiquinho and Neto as the two wide players either....

I do believe that if Raul is back on form then Adama will look better as they worked well together pre injury

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We all know this mate yet it ain't changed in years.

Shergar

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves don’t want him. Nobody wants him. Wolves are stuck with him for the foreseeable.

A3wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Both our main midfielders are in the lowest 2 percentile for touches in the box this season.
Add to that wing-backs that aren't particularly effective going forward and 1 centre forward that with his new mask is "having to relearn how to head the ball" and another that looks like he hasn't learned how to head it in the first place.

It's no wonder we were one of the lowest in the league for creating chances.
Really think what you say about our wing backs is such a key point. If we are 5 at the back we really need them to be able to contribute attacking-wise like Doc did and none of them currently do.

cannockwolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I can see him going to Everton as replacement for Richarlison. With £60m that can pay off some debts and give us £15m.

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Wolves don’t want him. Nobody wants him. Wolves are stuck with him for the foreseeable.
Saying nobody wants him is a stretch. More likely that there’s not a massive queue of clubs that wants to pay the transfer fee we want or the wages he wants.

I’ve said it to the point of exhaustion that he’s the most exciting yet most frustrating player I’ve seen in a wolves shirt. If you look purely at stats he’s below average but he creates chaos with the ball and draws opposition players to him. I don’t like when people say he has no end product, it’s more that he doesn’t have enough end product at times. Unfortunately what he has you can’t coach but what he’s missing doesn’t seem to be able to coach into him.

Reactions: Ian

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trincao was dull, he was mostly ineffective and I pray we don't sign him... however, statistically he was more than twice as effective than Adama given his minutes on the pitch. Chiquinho's stats were better still.

Yes people want to see him play, he is arguably "exciting" but he's more freak show than box office. We'd have had no trouble shifting him for a decent price if he was truly box office.

That’s the problem with stats though isn’t it, they don’t always tell the full story. If Traore runs past 4 players and crosses and the ball comes out to Neves who lays it off to someone else and we score Traore doesn’t get the assist but he helped significantly to make the goal. What was clear after he left was that we had a real issue getting into the final third in some games, Newcastle away I remember being really dire. With Traore on the pitch defences go deeper, they double up on him, that creates space and opportunities for others.

Basically what I’m saying is Traore is not just about basic numbers, his influence can’t be quantified like that. Yeah he’s not the finished article and he never will be, but it’s a lot more fun and a lot more unpredictable with him in the squad.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That’s the problem with stats though isn’t it, they don’t always tell the full story. If Traore runs past 4 players and crosses and the ball comes out to Neves who lays it off to someone else and we score Traore doesn’t get the assist but he helped significantly to make the goal. What was clear after he left was that we had a real issue getting into the final third in some games, Newcastle away I remember being really dire. With Traore on the pitch defences go deeper, they double up on him, that creates space and opportunities for others.

Basically what I’m saying is Traore is not just about basic numbers, his influence can’t be quantified like that. Yeah he’s not the finished article and he never will be, but it’s a lot more fun and a lot more unpredictable with him in the squad.
Stats tell most of the story. They tell the part of the story that includes the skewed shots, misplaced passes and painfully slow lofted crosses.

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

His influence can be quantified though, every players can.

The cross scenario probably went to neves because he can’t hit a cows **** with a banjo most of the time with a cross. It would more than likely not even have been close to the place or target he was aiming for. And assists are only for the last passer, how many long balls by neves or moutinho are the penultimate pass? The scenario goes for others too and he would still lag behind nearly every other outfield player in any meaningful metric.

His basic passing accuracy stats are woeful too.

You talks about space and point of difference, it means naff all when he can’t score or rarely gets an assist and then when he isn’t on the pitch we scored more goals and losing podence killed our goal scoring threat in a far greater way.

To many adama fans, stats don’t/shouldn’t/can’t be applied to him but do so readily when chastising others, it is absolutely comical and massively hypocritical.

He has the xfactor with the ball at his feet, but I don’t back him to do much else apart from that.

Ian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Perhaps if Bruno had stuck with Traore as first choice we may have finished top 6 and not midtable?!

Monketron

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm probably one of the few who are looking forward to him being back, if he indeed is staying this season.

I can't believe we'd let him go on a free in 12 months, he's got to be moved on if he won't sign a new contract, even if it's just for a quick £10m.

SakosRightFoot

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His influence can be quantified though, every players can.

The cross scenario probably went to neves because he can’t hit a cows **** with a banjo most of the time with a cross. It would more than likely not even have been close to the place or target he was aiming for. And assists are only for the last passer, how many long balls by neves or moutinho are the penultimate pass? The scenario goes for others too and he would still lag behind nearly every other outfield player in any meaningful metric.

His basic passing accuracy stats are woeful too.

You talks about space and point of difference, it means naff all when he can’t score or rarely gets an assist and then when he isn’t on the pitch we scored more goals and losing podence killed our goal scoring threat in a far greater way.

To many adama fans, stats don’t/shouldn’t/can’t be applied to him but do so readily when chastising others, it is absolutely comical and massively hypocritical.

He has the xfactor with the ball at his feet, but I don’t back him to do much else apart from that.

His best season, the Europa year, the year he and Raul were amongst the most potent combination in the league, was the year we came closest to finishing top 4. He is not perfect, but his crossing is no worse than Neto’s, his decision making in the final third no worse than Podences.

The problem was not and is not Traore. To use him effectively you need the right players around him. When he was at his best it wasn’t just Raul to aim at in the box, it was Jota, Jonny and Doherty too. It meant Raul had more room in the box to attack the crosses, it’s no surprise he doesn’t look the same threat since two of those went and the other got injured.

This is the problem with focusing solely on assists and goals stats, it’s what he brings to the team as a whole.

Again I’m not saying he’s perfect, far from it, but used properly, with the right players around him, he is a potentially potent weapon that half the league can’t cope with.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I would be surprised if we get more than £10m for Traore at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom