Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Oh Adama Traore!

Keep or sell?

• Keep

Votes: 143 45.0%
  • Sell

Votes: 175 55.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wolfslair

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The fear is evident in that 2 or possibly 3 players will mark him. Ask the mangers of those teams why. It doesn't happen with our other players.

As for players in league 2, well that's just daft those players wouldn't get into the positions in the first place, something again that detractors forget, many of his opportunities are made by his ability that others couldn't do in the first place.

On a completely different point if we are to build this brand players like traore are the ones that get us noticed, his rating in the FIFA games make him a player that is wanted in the game, thus raising our profile as a club, other players won't do this in the same way.
But that fear isn’t so great that he is available for a knock down fee and no club came in for him with a bid bar spurs. So what does that tell you? If he was that much of a threat why has no one snapped him up?

I agree 100% with you on the brand aspect of adama and the fifa aspect. That is a great part of having him.

I was over the top with league two, you are correct that was harsh. But his finishing isn’t close to premier league standard.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
And I couldn’t agree more with your last statement! Hwang keeps trying even though things aren’t paying off and he actually wants to be here so why can’t people forgive his limitations when points on the board he contributes far more….. but people say they forgive his limitations because he makes them get off their seat before he disappoints them, but hwang had you off your chairs jumping for ACTUAL joy than traore but Hwang is getting a really uncomfortable level
Of abuse when compared to the defence of a guy who quit on us, created the **** situation with the loan that is now another stick to beat the club with….. but of course blame the club for letting him leave when HE pushed to leave and his team helped set up the loan…… but again we can’t be blaming traore for his actions or lack of contribution especially when he won’t sign the contract…..
To say he quit on us is very harsh and well over the top, he had a chance to join his boyhood club and one of the biggest clubs in football, who wouldn't want to go. Another thing that's been mentioned before, we went right down hill after he left, the football has been well far from entertaining, infact it's been completely awful

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shirley there has to be summat in place,where he signs an extension on his contract if it didn't work out at Barcelona.And wolves won't stop him leaving if another team come in for him.That way we don't lose out altogether when his one year left contract runs out.Otherwise it's just bin a total failure,with his loan.
How has the loan been a failure? What did it cost us?
I think Barca paid his wages.

We could very easily end up with nothing when his contract expires……..zero.
Do you not commend Jeff for at trying to get £29m for him ? The loan was a no brainer…….a decent chance to get money to buy another player.

Adama didn’t want to sign the contract extension.

YouGottaRaulWithIt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Shirley there has to be summat in place,where he signs an extension on his contract if it didn't work out at Barcelona.And wolves won't stop him leaving if another team come in for him.That way we don't lose out altogether when his one year left contract runs out.Otherwise it's just bin a total failure,with his loan.
Don't call me Shirley.

Ogerp

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have 3 premier league defenders as friends, all of them say Wolves are better team with him in the side and that his presence occupies more players and restricts their attacking intent.

Just a comment fwiw.

For clarification what are their names?

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
But that fear isn’t so great that he is available for a knock down fee and no club came in for him with a bid bar spurs. So what does that tell you? If he was that much of a threat why has no one snapped him up?

I agree 100% with you on the brand aspect of adama and the fifa aspect. That is a great part of having him.

I was over the top with league two, you are correct that was harsh. But his finishing isn’t close to premier league standard.
No one has really come in for any of our players that we covet

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I have 3 premier league defenders as friends, all of them say Wolves are better team with him in the side and that his presence occupies more players and restricts their attacking intent.

Just a comment fwiw.

I think as a defender, you'd rather not play him then have to deal with him all game, but is that a direct correlation to make us better, or does he just make defenders uncomfortable.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not saying I want Adama back necessarily but I was told for a long time with him out of the side we'd play more cohesive, attacking football.

Not sure I saw it
Yep

Still think if he’s playing with 3 other attackers we would score a lot more goals

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
but is that a direct correlation to make us better, or does he just make defenders uncomfortable.

Defenders and managers uncomfortable, to play better, we have to perform better within ourselves.

Example:

The 0-0 with Leicester under Nuno 2 seasons ago, they triple marked Neto and Adama all game. Wingers would come back to support their fullback, and Tielemans / Chaudhary would press them in possession, cut the passing lanes to them out of possession. They completely ceded control of their central midfield, leaving massive gaps for us to exploit.
Did we? No. Moutinho/Neves kept trying to find Neto/Adama the entire game, not once venturing into the gaps left by their midfield.

As a squad, we don't have the players who can make the most of this space.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Defenders and managers uncomfortable, to play better, we have to perform better within ourselves.

Example:

The 0-0 with Leicester under Nuno 2 seasons ago, they triple marked Neto and Adama all game. Wingers would come back to support their fullback, and Tielemans / Chaudhary would press them in possession, cut the passing lanes to them out of possession. They completely ceded control of their central midfield, leaving massive gaps for us to exploit.
Did we? No. Moutinho/Neves kept trying to find Neto/Adama the entire game, not once venturing into the gaps left by their midfield.

As a squad, we don't have the players who can make the most of this space.

I think that's a big issue with 343 when your wingers want to stay wide. Nobody to use the space in the half space and 10. Why I think Podence makes so much of an impact because he actually leaves the wing.

Main reason Adama was effective was Doherty being unique and constantly under lapping

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
13 (9 in the Premier League). At the time, him and Raul were the joint second highest goal/assist partnership for a single season in Premier League history (they’ve now been knocked down to third by Kane and Son).

I’m genuinely not that worried about his lack of assists because he is involved in creating so many chances. Just off the top of my head…

Villa away this year. No assists but heavily involved in all three goals.

Arsenal away last year. Both goals due to unbelievable runs transitioning us up the pitch (Dendoncker hits the bar with a free header from six yards from his cross where we score the rebound).

Brighton away last year. Amazing performance. Wins us a penalty then with the last kick of the game, puts in a perfect cross which Otasowie heads over.

The run for the Sevilla penalty.

Jota’s goal at Spurs where Tanganga tries to assault him and just bounces off.

The goal in the 1-0 win against Leeds where he runs past three players, smashes it off the bar, hits Meslier on the way out and goes in.

The Villa game at home in the first season. The Neves goal from the free kick comes from Adama running nearly the length of the pitch before Mings injured himself having to take him out.

His ability to transition us up the pitch has been so important in this Wolves side which was built on an ability to absorb pressure and then counter effectively. Wouldn’t have expected it to be the same in a side like Barca who routinely have 70% of the ball and are trying to break down sides who sit deep and park the bus.

The one thing I will (and have always) criticised him for is his goal return. Should be (and in a side like ours which doesn’t score many, needs to be) much, much higher.

Great post.

Our goal in the Mike Dean Burnley away game is another.

Runs the length of the pitch with the ball before Jimenez scores.

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Here's how I see it.

Happy to have Adama back in the squad since he can offer something so much different than our other wingers which will give Bruno some game plan options, but with some caveats:
  1. He wants to stay with Wolves;
  2. He is not the highest paid player (i.e., accepts the contract on the table); and,
  3. We don't need the sale to pay for other needs to balance the squad (i.e., bring in CM/CB).
It is both true that he isn't great at pressing/tracking back, finishing, and having good off-the-ball movement while also being bona fide game changer and an attacking outlet when we are under the cosh. With a little bit of luck, his stats since 2019-20 would have been a little more palatable IMO. Anyway, he's not someone you can build your squad around, but he sure is someone who is great to have in your back pocket when you need to scare the living daylights out of your opposition.

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that's a big issue with 343 when your wingers want to stay wide. Nobody to use the space in the half space and 10. Why I think Podence makes so much of an impact because he actually leaves the wing.

Main reason Adama was effective was Doherty being unique and constantly under lapping

Alternatively... Was Doherty's effectiveness a result of Adama? Being given free reign to cut in, knowing teams wouldn't overload on that side with Adama potentially in behind. Doherty spent most of his days goal hanging around the penalty spot, very rarely defending our area.

Dan G WWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Alternatively... Was Doherty's effectiveness a result of Adama? Being given free reign to cut in, knowing teams wouldn't overload on that side with Adama potentially in behind. Doherty spent most of his days goal hanging around the penalty spot, very rarely defending our area.

Well, since being given the freedom by Conte he's been just as good at spurs.

Personally I think that's Doherty main strength and as a wing back he should be played on the left. He won player of the season here playing it and played there this season too for spurs.

Doherty did the same role with Cab, but it was more of a rotation of them going inside and out.

Costa it didn't work out because he'd always want to go inside leaving Doherty limited to outside where he wasn't as good.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Well, since being given the freedom by Conte he's been just as good at spurs.

Personally I think that's Doherty main strength and as a wing back he should be played on the left. He won player of the season here playing it and played there this season too for spurs.

Doherty did the same role with Cab, but it was more of a rotation of them going inside and out.

Costa it didn't work out because he'd always want to go inside leaving Doherty limited to outside where he wasn't as good.
He only played well for spurs at rwb

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To say he quit on us is very harsh and well over the top, he had a chance to join his boyhood club and one of the biggest clubs in football, who wouldn't want to go. Another thing that's been mentioned before, we went right down hill after he left, the football has been well far from entertaining, infact it's been completely awful
It was **** before he left. We were one dimensional, playing the ball to Adama's feet so he could more often than not run down a blind alley.

Not my idea of entertainment. If anything we were more dynamic after he left, albeit still boring

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am not saying I want Adama back necessarily but I was told for a long time with him out of the side we'd play more cohesive, attacking football.

Not sure I saw it
I expected it to play out that way, not because of Adama, but because the rest of our team were so slow. I guess the hope was Trincao would match the pace of the rest of our team and we would attack in numbers, pushing forward together as a unit.

I never saw it either, at least not consistently

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
It was **** before he left. We were one dimensional, playing the ball to Adama's feet so he could more often than not run down a blind alley.

Not my idea of entertainment. If anything we were more dynamic after he left, albeit still boring
Dynamic, , your having a laugh,getting beat by the bottom of the league team who were already relegated amongst other poor performances

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I miss the feeling of what Traore getting the ball rendered. Unpredictable? Frustrating? I get the obvious qualms towards him, but so what?

Had he more of an end product. we'd be looking at a Ballon D'or contender ffs. Not someone playing for us.

Does anyone enjoy watching us more without him?

We're currently destined for mid table innocuousness. If so, having a player as exciting as he is 'may' justify my obscene season ticket price.

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dynamic, , your having a laugh,getting beat by the bottom of the league team who were already relegated amongst other poor performances
I said more dynamic.

i.e. not passing to Traore at every opportunity. There's nothing dynamic about repeating the same failed tactic over and over and over again.

R

reanswolf

We seemed to be far more one dimensional after he left, to the point of tedium.

Abbobrom

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
There have been games this season when it would have been great to have Adams on the bench to bring on. Most recently Norwich.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
He started against Norwich in the cup , when we couldn't score ..

And came on against Norwich away , when we couldn't score....

He’d have done bloody well to come on in the Cup
game…

And he came on after 68 minutes in the away league game and was still played in three different positions (including wing-back).

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He’d have done bloody well to come on in the Cup
game…

And he came on after 68 minutes in the away league game and was still played in three different positions (including wing-back).
Yes sorry my mistake with the cup game.....slightly out ......

Anyway doesn't change the fact we went two seasons struggling to score with adama, and he was one , if not the main culprit....

HowfenWolf

Groupie
Reaction score
I"m not a massive fan of Adama tbf. I think a lot of what you get depends on his mood & the position he is being asked to play.
Not sure if I would want him back at Wolves - may not be in his/our interests

steve vena

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I"m not a massive fan of Adama tbf. I think a lot of what you get depends on his mood & the position he is being asked to play.
Not sure if I would want him back at Wolves - may not be in his/our interests
I'm not really a great fan either mate tbh. My mate hates him. I don't want him back.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I still dont get why people cant just accept he wanted/wants to leave Wolves. The club have twice now publicly made it clear he didnt want to play for us and he refused to sign a contract. You dont throw a player under the bus like that if you expect them to have a future.

My opinion with him has been consistent pretty much in his time here. He offers something very unique as a player, but that doesnt always mean its a good thing to be unique. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isnt. He is in a position we can replace with somebody more effective reasonably easily. If we sold him at the peak of his powers, probably for 35-40 million, as smart clubs who have a buy to sell model do, then i bet we could have replaced him for 15-20 million. At the moment, we are looking at probably 10 to 12 million for him.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Yes sorry my mistake with the cup game.....slightly out ......

Anyway doesn't change the fact we went two seasons struggling to score with adama, and he was one , if not the main culprit....

Agree with the principle but think it is far more a ‘Wolves’ problem than an Adama one.

In addition to the three games against Norwich, last year, we had a spell of 8 games where he didn’t start and we scored 2 goals (one of which was Vitinha scoring a 35-yarder against Chorley).

The fact our top scorer(s) scored 5 last season and 6 this year suggests it’s as much to do with the set-up as any individual.

peter&thewolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I said more dynamic.

i.e. not passing to Traore at every opportunity. There's nothing dynamic about repeating the same failed tactic over and over and over again.
After he left we had no attacking threat at all, creating no chances, we even struggled at times to get in the other teams half. If he's used right, he can be a great option. It doesn't really matter anyway, Conte and spurs will get him, another great manager and team sees his worth and quality's but the so called experts on here can't. We're just stick with Hwang and co

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Agree with the principle but think it is far more a ‘Wolves’ problem than an Adama one.

In addition to the three games against Norwich, last year, we had a spell of 8 games where he didn’t start and we scored 2 goals (one of which was Vitinha scoring a 35-yarder against Chorley).

The fact our top scorer(s) scored 5 last season and 6 this year suggests it’s as much to do with the set-up as any individual.

I think thats partly true, our style hasnt helped us at all, but i do think our wide attacking players all have issues when it comes to putting the ball in the net.

Adama 26 goals in 321 games.
Podence 36 in 273 games.
Trincao 21 in 165 games
Neto 12 in 100 games
Hwang 68 in 238

Apart from Hwang, its pretty uninspiring and i think when you play generally with a front 3 you need the goals from your wide attackers. We just dont have players in those positions who are decent finishers. I think in the modern game you would really be expecting close to 50 goals from 300 games for a decent wide attacking player.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes I agree.....BUT you can't blame adama goals or shooting as "wolves problem"....give a bit of leeway with assists etc, numbers in the box....but goals n shooting no.. that's adama ..5 in the championship is his best....

It just makes me laugh when these players don't play for us , they suddenly become world beaters . Adama and Gibbs to a point....they are hammered when there are here but suddenly becomes God's when they are out the team...

The 'jota isn't cutting it thread' on here when he was playing, we sell him and he becomes a everything we needed....granted he is and he backed it up but when he was playing, most were critical constantly....... We've got no back up for 'Raul' was all we heard when he was here, he goes to Liverpool and plays centrally in 3 but no we had no back up...

Just think there is a bit of that with adama....cause he was explosive to watch...but he was very much a fundamental part of the problem that we had a forward who couldn't score....he cost us in the first 4 games , just as much as he might have made a difference coming on against Norwich at home in the league....

Adama had 2 massive spells , this season and last , was it 30 odd games without a goal ....it was mentioned up and down the country as bad , but some forget it cause they always think everything we ain't doing is better , is better than anything we do ....

I see adama flaws as a forward as similar to Coadys flaws as a defender, they are that basic your aren't necessarily gonna change them....but I give coady more of a leeway cause I see a bloke who wants to be here and will die for the shirt....I don't see that with adama...

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
After he left we had no attacking threat at all, creating no chances, we even struggled at times to get in the other teams half. If he's used right, he can be a great option. It doesn't really matter anyway, Conte and spurs will get him, another great manager and team sees his worth and quality's but the so called experts on here can't. We're just stick with Hwang and co

I dont think Spurs will be interested tbh. They seem very keen on Spence from Boro and if they can get him instead of Forest i think its curtains for Adama at Spurs.

Its going to be interesting because you would think how some people go on about him on here there would be literally dozens top clubs fighting over him at the price he will be available for. Personally, for 10 million or so it will take to get him i'd take the gamble on him but i'll be surprised if any of them do.

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
traore 's current club not as rich as they perceive to be.

Back
Top Bottom