Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno's Evolution.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Much use of the word evolution lately. For the team.

There are debates over whether it's just a change in personnel or a change of tactics. Personally, I think we're not going to see any formations this season that we didn't see last season, but we will see a regular rotation between 343, 352 and 3412, depending on the match. Looking at the signings, I'm wondering if the key evolution is going to be Nuno's approach.

He's often presented as inflexible, but over the course of his three seasons here we've seen a coach constantly evolving and changing. The key for me is he's been constantly learning. Last season his reluctance to rotate helped to shorten Cutrone's stay. And, while we can all debate the degree to which Cutrone didn't take the chances when they were handed to him, and didn't manage his own situation well, I do wonder if that's a lesson Nuno has mulled over. Late in the season he arguably stuck too long with attacking options that weren't working, seeming reluctant to throw Neto and Podence into the mix, both of whom did well when given their chances.

I'm not criticising Nuno here, I'm praising him. He learns and adapts when many other managers don't.

Looking at the signings so far - the rumoured incomings and the ones we've already made- my gut reaction is we're selling an attacker. Pepe seems too much of a Jota for Jota's position not to be in question. If we do sign Pepe, then on the face of it we have Jimenez, Silva, Jota, Podence, Traore, Pepe and Podence all vying for the front 3 or front 2 (with allowances that Traore is also possibly vying for wingback.) And while many other coaches like to have that many players competing with each other, we know Nuno so far has tended to stick with a settled team. So...yes...selling an attacker would seem the logical next move.

But I wonder if he's aiming to change some of his habits this year. He also talks of wanting different options. I wonder if we're going to see a very settled eight, much as we are used to under Nuno. Goalkeeper, defenders, wingbacks all very settled, midfield fairly settled with the occasional rotation when Moutinho is tired. But then, in an evolution of his style, a lot of rotation in attack. Opposition managers (and defenders) fairly sure they're going to face Jimenez, but not knowing game to game whether he'll be partnered by Jota, Pepe, Podence, Silva, Traore or Neto. And each of them getting enough game time to keep them happy.

I think that could be a very exciting team, with a slightly different attacking combination each week.

Unless Pepe doesn't sign, of course, in which case this is a waste of a post ;)

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Much use of the word evolution lately. For the team.

There are debates over whether it's just a change in personnel or a change of tactics. Personally, I think we're not going to see any formations this season that we didn't see last season, but we will see a regular rotation between 343, 352 and 3412, depending on the match. Looking at the signings, I'm wondering if the key evolution is going to be Nuno's approach.

He's often presented as inflexible, but over the course of his three seasons here we've seen a coach constantly evolving and changing. The key for me is he's been constantly learning. Last season his reluctance to rotate helped to shorten Cutrone's stay. And, while we can all debate the degree to which Cutrone didn't take the chances when they were handed to him, and didn't manage his own situation well, I do wonder if that's a lesson Nuno has mulled over. Late in the season he arguably stuck too long with attacking options that weren't working, seeming reluctant to throw Neto and Podence into the mix, both of whom did well when given their chances.

I'm not criticising Nuno here, I'm praising him. He learns and adapts when many other managers don't.

Looking at the signings so far - the rumoured incomings and the ones we've already made- my gut reaction is we're selling an attacker. Pepe seems too much of a Jota for Jota's position not to be in question. If we do sign Pepe, then on the face of it we have Jimenez, Silva, Jota, Podence, Traore, Pepe and Podence all vying for the front 3 or front 2 (with allowances that Traore is also possibly vying for wingback.) And while many other coaches like to have that many players competing with each other, we know Nuno so far has tended to stick with a settled team. So...yes...selling an attacker would seem the logical next move.

But I wonder if he's aiming to change some of his habits this year. He also talks of wanting different options. I wonder if we're going to see a very settled eight, much as we are used to under Nuno. Goalkeeper, defenders, wingbacks all very settled, midfield fairly settled with the occasional rotation when Moutinho is tired. But then, in an evolution of his style, a lot of rotation in attack. Opposition managers (and defenders) fairly sure they're going to face Jimenez, but not knowing game to game whether he'll be partnered by Jota, Pepe, Podence, Silva, Traore or Neto. And each of them getting enough game time to keep them happy.

I think that could be a very exciting team, with a slightly different attacking combination each week.

Unless Pepe doesn't sign, of course, in which case this is a waste of a post ;)

Good points. I'm wondering if we'll see more 3-4-1-2. You have several options now in the hole: Podence, Neto, and Pepe. But the all of the wingers can all move around the pitch pretty seamlessly, creating a very fluid attack. Couple this with a stronger back three and better wingbacks...

Btw, I still think that Palhinha will be on his way after September 15th. I wonder how he fits into the plans--seems like he could be a strong enforcer, allowing for a more attack-minded midfielder like Vitinha alongside Neves, in a 3-5-2.

Tojo the grass

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has anyone other than Joe Edwards used the word evolution though? He said it once to put a positive spin on the Doherty sale but I have not heard Nuno or anyone else at the club being directly quoted as saying it.
We are certainly busy in the transfer market since the weekend, but a lot of the players coming in are very young, so I am not seeing an overhaul of the starting options so far.
Hopefully we are building a group of players that Nuno has more trust in so that he is not afraid to rotate the team more.
He definitely needs to freshen things up from time to time and he is building a squad with more options.
There certainly seems to be some exciting young talent coming in.

Back
Top Bottom