Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nuno's Contract

fev123

Groupie
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a conversation regarding Nuno's deal as I couldn't find a recent thread. Do we see that as a formality or could there be temptation for him elsewhere. Personally I'd be much happier if we got him on a long term deal that showed both our commitment to him and was an indication of his standing in the game as well as our ambition to kick on. Right now I wouldn't swap him for any manager in the world and if we do think there could be any bumps in the road getting his signature (from either the Fosun side or Nuno's) do we think a fan petition or campaign would signal our love for Nuno and create some pressure to get it done sooner rather than later?

Very Proud (AKA Still Proud)

Prouder than a proud thing in Proudville
Reaction score
Give him 10 years I say. Give him the challenge to build the club with a long term commitment. Surely he's passed his probationary period with flying colours by now.

Imagine that with continued backing what he could achieve, his management is pretty unique and certainly something we've not experienced before.

Loved his comments on squad size and injuries, we will get the odd injury but we work on preventing them. That's why we succeed a different mindset and intelligence at all levels of the club.

hoop

Reaction score
He's a pretty focused guy. I rekon once the season is over, he'll think about the contract. Until then, its the next match only in his thoughts.

Derbywolf85

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's in the combined interests of Fosun, Uncle Jorge and Nuno to get him a big ol' new deal.

It'll probably be based on where we finish in the league and which (if any) European competition we are competing in.

But for me, being realistic - Life time contract, freedom of the city and however many Zero's he wants.

Just pay it.

North Bank

Reaction score
As said above, I doubt anything will be done until the end of the season.
However, if we managed to somehow get into the Champions League just give him a blank cheque and let him write his own salary on it.

Wolf-Pack

Reaction score
I think what Nuno is building and the way he thinks, given a decent offer and backing, he’d never consider leaving.
He came to Wolves with a massive challenge on his hands and has had the beauty of rebuilding the whole squad and stamping his playing style on it. Going to another club, Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea etc - the fans would want instant success. But the squads he would inherit wouldn’t have the play style or players that he would want to work with immediately. Yes, I’m sure he’d want a change in the future, right now I’m sure he’d be happy to stay and continue building what he has started. The foundations of something special is at our club right now but he will need the backing of Fosun to continue. Hopefully it’ll all be sorted soon, he And the back room coaching staff are so valuable.

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score
We will probably never know but it would be interesting to know what sort of money he was on when he came,what he is on now and the sort of money he will be on for a new contract ?No idea what most Managers earn these days

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We will probably never know but it would be interesting to know what sort of money he was on when he came,what he is on now and the sort of money he will be on for a new contract ?No idea what most Managers earn these days
I make no guarantees about accuracy...

giantwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

No idea in truth, however apparently he is currently on £3m per season. By comparison (again only according to the internet),

Pep = £20m
Jose Mourinho = £15m
Klopp = £15m
OGS = £8m
Sean Dyche is apparently on £3.5m

The truth is probably different to all of those and then of course varies by bonuses etc, so take all the figures with a pinch of salt.

Last edited:

Wolfheart

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He is going to sign. He came here for the project. He has barely started it. Fosun wont allow him to leave. Money talks

Jonzy54

In Memory
Reaction score

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bloody hell. Well done Eddie Howe and Sean Dyche. Paid beyond their skills.
Yeah, they were the two that stood out to me too (see three or four posts up)...

Howe was being talked about for big jobs or the England job pre-Southgate so l sort of get that.

Dyche though.... Perhaps a new contract when they qualified for Europe?

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maximum four year deal. No good comes from throwing the kitchen sink at it for no good reason.
Remember Pardew getting an eight year deal at Newcastle? That went tits-up super quick.

CodsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure I saw some direct quotes from Nuno the other day which clearly hinted that discussions re new contract would be starting soon. I was very upbeat having read those as usually Nuno says nothing. Did I dream it?

cookey

In Memory
Reaction score
Every silver lining needs a cloud - so don't forget all his family, and those of the other Portuguese coaches still live back in sunnier climes

Wenlock Wolf

Reaction score
I really wouldn't worry about this. He has been allowed to build the team up in his image, with the support of Fosun & Mendes, not only for the first team but the development in years to come.

They've all signed up to 'the project' and it's only really at the early stages of the plan. From a managers point of view, Wolves was and is the perfect job!! I would fully expect that Nuno and his key team sign contract extensions.

Long live the project!!!

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’ve said it before. I’ll feel a lot better if he buys a house and his wife joins him in Wolverhampton. With the success he’s had at Wolves I’m sure he’s had many lucrative offers in sunny climates.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m sure I saw some direct quotes from Nuno the other day which clearly hinted that discussions re new contract would be starting soon. I was very upbeat having read those as usually Nuno says nothing. Did I dream it?
No definitely said but I think it’ll be at the end of this season

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

That’s why we perform so well so regularly, Nuno is a father figure of about the right generational bracket type for the players.
Not the more remote older generation, nor a softer, millennial type. Engenders the perfect blend of admiration, respect, fear, encouragement, and praise when it’s earned.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Every silver lining needs a cloud - so don't forget all his family, and those of the other Portuguese coaches still live back in sunnier climes

That right there is indeed the cloud.
Ok, his Son is with him now which is a start, but he always said he didn’t want to uproot his wife and girls with them settled with friend circles and universities.
If the coaching staff are similar, it’s difficult to imagine them wanting to forge a 10 year legacy.
Nuno might be an obsessive workaholic and his Mrs fully accepting of that, but would that be the case for all of them for that kind of period?

Probably is the one and only worry, as you’d think the job itself ranks very highly for autonomy, backing, etc, and just in itself could be a match made in heaven long term.

Mrs E

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that Peps family live in Spain. They are both very intense and I think both prefer not having any distractions around them.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think that Peps family live in Spain. They are both very intense and I think both prefer not having any distractions around them.

Quite. But...surely that doesn’t allay the concern, considering Guardiola likes having a year or so off to recuperate from that level of intensity after a few years.

Frank Lincoln

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Nuno clearly loves it at Wolves, the players and fans think the world of him, so hopefully a new contract will be a formality. And a long contract at that.

Wolves Heathen

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now the only reason i could see him wanting to leave Wolves would be for the Portugal national team job, and as thats not coming up any time soon we are safe for now, but thats my biggest fear long term, and i honestly think it will happen..

Keyser Soze

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Right now the only reason i could see him wanting to leave Wolves would be for the Portugal national team job, and as thats not coming up any time soon we are safe for now, but thats my biggest fear long term, and i honestly think it will happen..
The Portugal job has crossed my mind as well in terms of places he might want to go to one day, considering Porto are his club and he's come to us from there

However, I don't see Nuno wanting international football, or enjoying it. He loves the day to day and the detail, working day in day our with his close knit squad. International football I think will represent everything else in that regard

You never know of course, but I'm optimistic the Portugal job, as appealing as it would be to him, when it came down to it wouldn't tempt him enough as long as we're still going places and he's enjoying it

Back
Top Bottom