Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Not a bad time to discuss the team re-build

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The last few games have been poor and looking at the table with 11 games left 8th looks likely to be where we will end up (hopefully no lower). Whilst this season isn't over I think we will do well to move higher. Lage seems to have thrown his toys out of the cot in the dressing room at WHU and in public today. You could see his exasperation during the game. Some players were not really at Molineux today - Neves was dreaming of a life in the sun in Barcelona and Kilman, fair enough, was in Ukraine (he should have been rested). The least said about most of the rest the better. I would expect/hope Lage is already pencilling in plans for the 22/23 season and what players he will retain in what I think we all assume will be quite a summer re-build. For me I hope he goes with a 4 and if he does I believe Semedo, Kilman and Jonny in front of Sa is not a bad defence. I'm assuming Neves will go and tbh I'm not fussed whether Moutinho and Dendonker leave too. That would mean a complete mf overhaul leaving a chance for MGW to make a come-back? Up top I think we need to spend big (again!) on a striker and obviously we have Neto. For me Podence is presently too hot and cold to hold down a place and Hwang is not at Prem level. Trincao will hopefully go back. So, lots of assumptions but in summary, new CB, 2x mf, CF and possibly a wide man. Depressingly we seem to have had this conversation before but you can see recently injuries combined with a small squad takes its toll at around this time of the season.

T

TheConcourse

Out of the 11 today, here’s where I see their positions next season.

Sa - starting
Hoever - loan
Kilman - starting
Coady - bench
Saiss - released
Marcal - released
Moutinho - released
Neves - sold
Hwang - bench
Podence - starting
Neto - starting

Sa
Semedo Kilman CB RAN
CM CM
Neto Podence RW
Raul

Bench: Coady, Chiquino, Cundle, Bolla, Boly, Fabio, Hwang, Giles, MGW

There’s a lot of work to do this summer. It’s the biggest window in Fosun’s tenure. Get it right and we can have a really promising season. Get it wrong and we could be in a fight for survival - we have to score more goals.

Starsky

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they don't spend money, fair enough, up to them. However, their whole approach is centred on re-cycling players and improving the squad, so at least do that properly.

If we sell Traore and Neves and replace them with Trincao and Palhinha, I think I'll give up tbh.

D

Deleted member 7862Bler

The last few games have been poor and looking at the table with 11 games left 8th looks likely to be where we will end up (hopefully no lower). Whilst this season isn't over I think we will do well to move higher. Lage seems to have thrown his toys out of the cot in the dressing room at WHU and in public today. You could see his exasperation during the game. Some players were not really at Molineux today - Neves was dreaming of a life in the sun in Barcelona and Kilman, fair enough, was in Ukraine (he should have been rested). The least said about most of the rest the better. I would expect/hope Lage is already pencilling in plans for the 22/23 season and what players he will retain in what I think we all assume will be quite a summer re-build. For me I hope he goes with a 4 and if he does I believe Semedo, Kilman and Jonny in front of Sa is not a bad defence. I'm assuming Neves will go and tbh I'm not fussed whether Moutinho and Dendonker leave too. That would mean a complete mf overhaul leaving a chance for MGW to make a come-back? Up top I think we need to spend big (again!) on a striker and obviously we have Neto. For me Podence is presently too hot and cold to hold down a place and Hwang is not at Prem level. Trincao will hopefully go back. So, lots of assumptions but in summary, new CB, 2x mf, CF and possibly a wide man. Depressingly we seem to have had this conversation before but you can see recently injuries combined with a small squad takes its toll at around this time of the season.
What do you think off Bruno’s approach so far? Will you be taking up your season ticket next year?

Bacon Sandwich

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I'll give you two names who might well go in the summer.
First of all Raul - Bruno has stated he wants a target man. Could Raul play as a 10? Yes, quite possibly - half the time he's already doing it. But there are far better 10s out there. Podence and MGW for a start. With a 2nd child on the way and given what's happened, I could easily see Raul in Spain or even MLS next year.
The second one is Conor Coady. We clearly need to raise money & I think Bruno wants to go to 4 at the back. Coady is far more than what he contribute son the pitch, but Newcastle would give us £30m. Add that to the Neves & Adama money and maybe we're in business.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they don't spend money, fair enough, up to them. However, their whole approach is centred on re-cycling players and improving the squad, so at least do that properly.

If we sell Traore and Neves and replace them with Trincao and Palhinha, I think I'll give up tbh.
They replaced jota with hwang ffs

Jd132

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
For me, it is just the spine of the team that needs a refresh. Personally, I am happy to stick with 343/352 but I would like us to sign four 6'5" beasts at centre back, central midfield, centre forward and back-up goalie. If we have Andersen, Kouyate and Mateta (all of whom are over 190 cm) in our team we don't lose that.

Our squad has plenty of quality- it needs additional brawn across the pitch to bulldoze teams when required.

Last edited:

Lycaon

Reaction score
The problem is, it appears that we’ve committed ourselves to next season’s squad without any foresight or inclination to change the make-up to improve where we are now?!

Becoming obvious that Wolves are a mid-table prem side which Fosun are more than happy with as long as they reap the benefits of being in one of the top leagues in Europe.

Last edited:

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We have had two consecutive seasons of dull, painful to watch football so something has to give.

Sa
Semedo - Coady/Kilman - CB - RAN
Neves - CM
Neto - MGW - LW
Raul

Sarkic, Jonny, Sanderson, Moutinho, Hwang, Podence, ST
Release; Ruddy, Saiss, Marcal, Trincao (I would keep Saiss but think he’ll go)
Sell; Donck, Giles, Boly, Adama
Loan; Hoever, Silva

Unfortunately we’d probably have to sell Neves to finance this amount of new players.

Fantasy time, if we had to sell our Ruben:

Sa
Semedo - Caleta-Car - Kilman - RAN
Palhinha - Sanches
Neto - MGW - Guedes
Raul​

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Neves and Traore going is our chance to rebuild. Needs to be for ~£70M for the pair and used wisely that could get us 4 good players + the money for Vinagre.

We should have good wage bill to work with as well for loans, plus likes of Boly could also be sold.

OUT
Neves £45M
Traore £25M
Boly £5M
Saiss/Moutinho/Marcel Free

IN
CM x2
CB
ST

I'd bring Bolla back from Grasshoppers as back up RB.

GK: SA

RB: Semedo
CB: Kilman
CB: A.N Other
LB: Ait-Nouri

CM: A.N Other
CM: A.N Other
CM: Gibbs-White

LW: Podence
ST: Raul
RW: Neto

For midfield options we could look to Portugal for Palhinha but i'd only do that if you are basically getting him + another player for the Neves money. Anything close to a straight swap would be terrible.

Badiashile a good option at CB. Sanches is obviously mooted every window, he will leave in the summer but doubt he is available to us. I like Brenden Aaronson from Salzburg

Perhaps something like

Badiashile
Palhinha
Aaronson

Finding a ST is the big issue, absolute golddust

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a total rebuild which at this level is very risky especially when mot buying players who know this league.

I'd scrap the back 5 with immediate effect as on the showing of the last few games won't get us any worse results and will let Lage see who can actually play the system he wants.

Other than Traroe I won't be sorry to see the back of any of them as the last 2 years has been like a war of attrition.

JohnB

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I’m an advocate of a back 4 but I’m not yet sold on a back 4!

At first glance a back 4 feels more attacking enables an extra midfielder - whether as a 10 in a 4-2-3-1 or via a 4-3-3.

However what is key is the players and movement.

The current 3-4-3 can be more attacking than 4 at the back. Simple maths we potentially have one more midfielder/attacker! However, this only works if the WBs really push on and we really create 4-5 up front with attacks rather than sit back as a 5.

It is no surprise to me that after 61 mins of Arsenal game when Semedo went off we’ve looked dreadful (defensively and offensively) as we’ve lacked the width and progression of Semedo and in the latter two games RAN. Hoever and Marcal are not the wing backs we need.

So two choices for me….continue with 3-4-3 but develop attacking prowess of WBs and improve energy and pace in midfield. Or shift to 4 at the back.

Being pragmatic and with a limited budget I think it is 3-4-3 again.

Squad is then

GK Sa (Ruddy/Sarkic)
WB Semedo (Jonny/Bolla) RAN (Giles/Bolla)
CB Kilman Coady new (Toti/Sanderson/Boly)
CM New New (Donck/Cundl)
Wing Podence Neto (Hwang MGW Chiquinho)
Forward Raul (Silva)

Additions are then 2 new midfielders for Neves, Moutinho, 1 new CB for Saiss and, possibly, one attacker. Traore and Neves money would be c70-75m which is doable.

Expect Neves, Moutinho, Saiss and Trincao to leave, Bolla to return with Hoever going on loan. Giles/Sanderson are unclear to me.

Harder one is stick or twist with Raul and Silva…..but that is one for another time.

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
4 at the back to allow a midfielder to break into the box! So telling none of midfielder’s break in and get tsp ins.

We ain’t going down so try Boly and Kilman as centre halves. Is it they much different to what palace had as a centre half pairing today?

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Out of the 11 today, here’s where I see their positions next season.

Sa - starting
Hoever - loan
Kilman - starting
Coady - bench
Saiss - released
Marcal - released
Moutinho - released
Neves - sold
Hwang - bench
Podence - starting
Neto - starting

Sa
Semedo Kilman CB RAN
CM CM
Neto Podence RW
Raul

Bench: Coady, Chiquino, Cundle, Bolla, Boly, Fabio, Hwang, Giles, MGW

There’s a lot of work to do this summer. It’s the biggest window in Fosun’s tenure. Get it right and we can have a really promising season. Get it wrong and we could be in a fight for survival - we have to score more goals.
The biggest window was last summer and they royally ****** it up. Guo should have brought in a director of football and told jeff shi to deal with the commercial side of things.

Last edited:

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key off-season decisions are in the spine of the team - Raul, Neves and Coady - and I can envision all three going.

Cant see Boly, Saiss, Donck or Mouts sticking around. Hopefully Trincao is cut lose along with Hwang, Hoever and Marcal.

Wildcards for me are Silva and MGW, I dont get the feeling Bruno trusts them but probably too soon to decide.

Dont think any of the players out on loan will come back as starters and some (like Giles and Sanderson) will be sold.

Bruno has taken Nuno's players as far as he can take them. New 5 year cycle should start this summer. Whether Bruno is the right guy I am not sure, but this group has plateaued.

I think we need a new CB, two CMs and a Striker. Note easy, but not impossible.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We need a replacement for raul and moutinho and a centre back to play alongside kilman.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What do you think off Bruno’s approach so far? Will you be taking up your season ticket next year?
We've punched well above our weight but I think we're now being found out and beaten by teams who are no better than us. Our defence has got us where we are. We've got too many players who are not of the required quality, others who need to be moved on, little squad depth and Neves showed today his mind is not on it. As I said in the OP I think we need to change our formation, Lage needs to find players who can attack through mf (MGW?) and create and forwards who can then turn those chances into goals. Imo we should be good enough to sustain 8th. Undecided about my ST for next season tbh. Interested Reans, who usually has his 'local' finger on the pulse feels there will be a big drop in ST sales.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The key off-season decisions are in the spine of the team - Raul, Neves and Coady - and I can envision all three going.

Cant see Boly, Saiss, Donck or Mouts sticking around. Hopefully Trincao is cut lose along with Hwang, Hoever and Marcal.

Wildcards for me are Silva and MGW, I dont get the feeling Bruno trusts them but probably too soon to decide.

Dont think any of the players out on loan will come back as starters and some (like Giles and Sanderson) will be sold.

Bruno has taken Nuno's players as far as he can take them. New 5 year cycle should start this summer. Whether Bruno is the right guy I am not sure, but this group has plateaued.

I think we need a new CB, two CMs and a Striker. Note easy, but not impossible.
I agree with every line of your post!

BCWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I agree with every line of your post!
Geniuses think alike, fools seldom differ, probably something in between!

I just cant help feeling the bearing walls of the house need replacing, not just new drywall.

hollo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want us to play four at the back but this would involve selling coady in the summer. A new player must have leadership qualities because coady is the only real leader.

Parkfieldswolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
With the best will in the world we’ve been relying on midfielders in defence for the most part since we got promoted. They have done well for us granted but are in part the reason we have to play the 3 at the back and wing backs system. Get a back 4 that are actually defenders then we wouldn’t have to rely on our midfielders and wing backs dropping back so much. I’m not going to grumble too much because the system we play means the whole team including the front line have to work very hard in defensive mode and they’ve done a good job of it but it has stifled our forward play so much. Next season make a decision Fosun stick with Bruno and let him implement change including formations and personnel or go and recruit another coach with the brief of making us more attacking and ultimately a bit better to watch.

D

Deleted member 9202LYK

The biggest window was last summer and they royally ****** it up. Guo dhould have brought in a director of football and told jeff shi to deal with the commercial side of things.
And in 35 words the whole pathetic debacle was summarised perfectly.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Big changes needed this playing squad has every drop squeezed out of it the past 3-4 years. Freshness has to be coming in.

Boss Hogg

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s a real conundrum, all our defenders are better in a 5 but the midfield & forward line would all function better with an extra man.

Some tough decisions will need to be made

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I do think this summers transfer window will be the one that defines our future.

Buy, sell, twist, stick are the options and I do think all those will happen.

One thing Bruno has done this season is give every squad player (with the exception of Willy Boly) some game time. He’s seen the options available to him, for example Hoever and Marcal, Toti, Chiquinho, Silva and Cundle. He’s also got Jonny and Neto back. Hopefully this will help make up his mind about the back up quality available to him, which in my opinion, is not great.

Hoever and Marcal are nowhere near the quality of Semedo and RAN. They provide zero going forward and are liabilities in defence. The others I have mentioned do not fill me with much enthusiasm when I compare them to the the likes of Ramsey at the Villa, Dewsbury-Hall at Leicester and Chalobah at Chelsea. They are home grown and look quality. We are being told there is quality in our Academy so why not give some of those youngsters game time before the end of the season.

Trincao has been a big disappointment. I was a fan at the start of the season and honestly thought he would be a really big player for us. Have to admit I am sadly disappointed. He has had enough chances but lacks the strength and courage for the Premier League.

Defensively, we have been solid this season with our regular 3 at the back. We have struggled when playing Hoever and Marcal so those 2 are weak links. Saiss is out of contract at the end of this season and deserves another year. Boly is obviously struggling and it will be touch and go to see if he stays.

We have been **** at scoring goals for 2 seasons now and it is obvious this needs to change. Midfield needs strengthening for starters with the creative box to box player we have been craving for. Mouts is another player out of contract at the end of the season and personally I would say you have been brilliant for us but call it a day and join the coaching staff. Neves is our main man in the middle of the park and we have to match his ambitions to keep him. Surround him with the likes of Sanches and Palhina to keep him. I would also keep Donk (yes I said keep) because of his versatility.

Up front we have been lacking someone who is a predator in the 18 yard box (that’s an old saying I know). Raul works his nuts off but spends too much game time outside the penalty area. Tell him to occupy the box and get someone to help him out. The jury is still out on Hwang. Neto will hopefully get back to his brilliant best and Podence has to be more consistent. I honestly don’t know what to make of Silva. He has been with us long enough but I still don’t know if he is any good or not.

To sum it up:
Marcal to leave.
Hoever to go on loan.
Another seasons contract for Saiss.
Moutinho for a coaching role.
Send Trincao back to Barcelona.
New central defender.
2 new in midfield.
New striker.

We will (hopefully) have the £27+ million funds from Traores sale to Barcelona and Vinagres transfer so we will not have an empty pot. Spend it wisely.

Last edited:

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think you might be right, I also envisage a big drop in ST sales.
Not a chance the waiting list is there for a reason. If you don't go, someone else will.

sedgwolf1980

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The first half of 2019 when we had Jimenez and Jota up top, 3 in midfield. I think that’s as good as it’s ever going to get for some fans around my age. I remember that post season after we had just qualified for Europe, we were linked with Dias and Fernandes. We ended up with Vallejo and Cutrone.

As wonderful as that European adventure was, a lot of our problems with the squad date back to that summer in my opinion. That was our moment to grasp it and move forward again. Can’t help but feel we won’t get that sort of opportunity again.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

The first half of 2019 when we had Jimenez and Jota up top, 3 in midfield. I think that’s as good as it’s ever going to get for some fans around my age. I remember that post season after we had just qualified for Europe, we were linked with Dias and Fernandes. We ended up with Vallejo and Cutrone.

As wonderful as that European adventure was, a lot of our problems with the squad date back to that summer in my opinion. That was our moment to grasp it and move forward again. Can’t help but feel we won’t get that sort of opportunity again.
We weren't going to spend £50M on Dias and I cant remember us ever being properly linked to Fernandes. Pretty easy to say we should have just dropped £100M on two players to improve us

sc91

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What I can see/hope happening is;

Neves - Barcelona bound for sure
Moutinho - Released
Saiss - Released
Marcal - Released
Ruddy - Released
Boly - Sold
Raul - Sold
Trincao - Back to Barcelona

MGW, Giles, Sanderson, Bolla are brought back for first team squad numbers.

From the wages out and the fees for Boly/Raul/Neves the rebuild begins

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

What I can see/hope happening is;

Neves - Barcelona bound for sure
Moutinho - Released
Saiss - Released
Marcal - Released
Ruddy - Released
Boly - Sold
Raul - Sold
Trincao - Back to Barcelona

MGW, Giles, Sanderson, Bolla are brought back for first team squad numbers.

From the wages out and the fees for Boly/Raul/Neves the rebuild begins
Barca are getting Kessie or Sanches and they already have a loaded midfield.

Neves also isn't at that level

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Just had a quick read through before I toddle off to bed. Seems to be general agreement that this is a big summer coming up and general agreement in the positions that will need filling. I liked Jade's comment, 'this squad has had every drop squeezed out of it'. That's how it feels to me and Lage needs to be allowed to put his stamp on things next season. The big concern I see is the amount of money Lage will have to re-build his side. If it is 1 out 1 in then unless Lage/Jeff/Mendes have some rabbits up their sleeves we are likely to be condemned to a possible mid-table season, which after Europe is a major disappointment, but at least then we will all know where we are under Fosun.

Back
Top Bottom