Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Non Profit Community Football Club

Kebab Warrior

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yet despite all these insurmountable gigantic ‘failures’, we still finished 10th in the Premier League.
This happened after all the constant negativity of last end of/pre-season. Half of people this time last year said we’d be relegated this season. Well guess what ‘chicken Lickens’, the sky didn’t fall in and we’re not being gutted by Fosun.
+10 for chicken licken reference. ****ing quality.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So the club doesn't have increased bills huh?

I'm increasingly thinking, with the same boring rubbish being posted repeatedly, that this whole thread is one big WUM event.

If you want cheaper tickets you know where the Whorethornes is....
So people can’t raise concerns about the way costs have rocketed to watch **** football?

If this chap is paying £785 a season (£42 a game) id say it’s a bit slack to tell him to go and be an Albion fan.

Weren’t you calling Jeff Shi “Jeff Shi” all last summer??

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So people can’t raise concerns about the way costs have rocketed to watch **** football?

If this chap is paying £785 a season (£42 a game) id say it’s a bit slack to tell him to go and be an Albion fan.

I was peed off with last summer's activity yes. I still think that it was poor. I'm hoping that this summer is much better.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

On the former of course you can have concerns, everyone can. I'd wager though unless you live 1/2 a mile away from the ground your costs to go to the match (fuel, beer food) have gone up way more overall than the season ticket has.
It's 2 quid odd a game the rise right?

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On the former of course you can have concerns, everyone can. I'd wager though unless you live 1/2 a mile away from the ground your costs to go to the match (fuel, beer food) have gone up way more overall than the season ticket has.
It’s 71% in 4 years for mine.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
OK, so lets go for short term boom and bust, spend all the money this season try and win the Prem, if we do great if not then maybe we are then in serious trouble and looking at relegation in the next few seasons.

Yes investing and pending more now would increase chances of success short term, but it's also more of a gamble that if it doesn't pay off puts us in a worse position. Those are the 2 extremes, both can bring success or failure, one is higher risk than the other

Spot on.

I'm not sure why one specific aspect of Shi's video keeps being overlooked. He quite clearly says it's not about how much money you have, but how much you can spend. There's a spending limit. FFP doesn't care how many billions Fosun could pump in should they choose to, it cares how much money Wolves are making. And we sat on the outsides of the premier league for so long that we trail far behind clubs we should be on an equal footing with.

Within that, the club could still spend more than it does. And I agree with the (reasonable, non-embarrassing) members who point that out. However, as you say, the short term approach has it's problems and Fosun, as an investment company, are very mindful of those problems. Leicester won the league only five or six years ago, but immediately lost key players to bigger clubs and didn't have the revenue ceiling to sustain that level. wHAT wolves are doing is trying to avoid exactly the boom and bust you mention. Trying to find ways to grow revenue, which raises the ceiling of what we can sustain.

And yes, it's frustrating. I think mistakes have been made. The club sold Bruno short last summer, and it ultimately probably cost us europe. They could have found ways to spend an extra 12/15 million to get Palhinha in at the start of Nuno's last season and our midfield would have performed much better (imo). They had a run of poor transfer windows. BUT it's possible, as so many of us do, to see these valid criticisms without throwing toys out the pram and insisting Fosun don't care.

lostwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Jaysus. ARE YOU HAPPY WITH PL TOP TEN. This site makes Wolves fans seem like a laughing stock.

I'm 42. I started supporting Wolves in the fourth division. They've finished in top ten of English football THREE TIMES since I started supporting them. All of them in the last four years. All of them under Fosun.

But now some of the fanbase are reacting as if we're Man United and suddenly settling for the top ten when we've grown up challenging for the champions League itself.

We are on an upward curve.
I'm with you here for the most part, being of a similar vintage and attitude. Fosun have done alright by us, we've done very well on the pitch (though not the ground) up to now, and most of our recruitment has been smart and creative. I'm happy with top half PL for the foreseeable future, being of a similar age I remember our 90s stagnation and the lack of investment after that. What we have now is miles ahead, let's not forget that.

My worry though is that since 19/20 we've really struggled in the transfer market. There are some exceptions (RAN, Sa and Chiquinho all look either great or very promising) but it's mostly seen a weakening of the squad. I don't want Fosun out, although they are anathema to everything I like culturally and politically; the truth is they're solid custodians at the moment. I just worry that we might go OTT on the sustainability bit, because you need a solid spine to showcase the talents of our buy to sell boys. I'll reserve judgement again but if we end up with a few more Trincaos and no proper players in I'll be livid come season start...

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Spot on.

I'm not sure why one specific aspect of Shi's video keeps being overlooked. He quite clearly says it's not about how much money you have, but how much you can spend. There's a spending limit. FFP doesn't care how many billions Fosun could pump in should they choose to, it cares how much money Wolves are making. And we sat on the outsides of the premier league for so long that we trail far behind clubs we should be on an equal footing with.

Within that, the club could still spend more than it does. And I agree with the (reasonable, non-embarrassing) members who point that out. However, as you say, the short term approach has it's problems and Fosun, as an investment company, are very mindful of those problems. Leicester won the league only five or six years ago, but immediately lost key players to bigger clubs and didn't have the revenue ceiling to sustain that level. wHAT wolves are doing is trying to avoid exactly the boom and bust you mention. Trying to find ways to grow revenue, which raises the ceiling of what we can sustain.

And yes, it's frustrating. I think mistakes have been made. The club sold Bruno short last summer, and it ultimately probably cost us europe. They could have found ways to spend an extra 12/15 million to get Palhinha in at the start of Nuno's last season and our midfield would have performed much better (imo). They had a run of poor transfer windows. BUT it's possible, as so many of us do, to see these valid criticisms without throwing toys out the pram and insisting Fosun don't care.

Can you ask Jeff for his views on Newcastle Jan activity.

And what they will spend this window.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score

Dude. What have they given STH in the last 2 windows to justify an increase that will bet 1m quid.

Yet they play ruddy v norwich which cost us 2-4 million quid.

They are using g wolves as a cash cow.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm with you here for the most part, being of a similar vintage and attitude. Fosun have done alright by us, we've done very well on the pitch (though not the ground) up to now, and most of our recruitment has been smart and creative. I'm happy with top half PL for the foreseeable future, being of a similar age I remember our 90s stagnation and the lack of investment after that. What we have now is miles ahead, let's not forget that.

My worry though is that since 19/20 we've really struggled in the transfer market. There are some exceptions (RAN, Sa and Chiquinho all look either great or very promising) but it's mostly seen a weakening of the squad. I don't want Fosun out, although they are anathema to everything I like culturally and politically; the truth is they're solid custodians at the moment. I just worry that we might go OTT on the sustainability bit, because you need a solid spine to showcase the talents of our buy to sell boys. I'll reserve judgement again but if we end up with a few more Trincaos and no proper players in I'll be livid come season start...
That's balanced enough and l utterly agree with the last para.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dude. What have they given STH in the last 2 windows to justify an increase that will bet 1m quid.

Given how bloody awful the whole team was against Norwich it is a push to assume that the result was all Ruddy's fault.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

And I think those are very fair concerns. Pretty much my whole approach as a fan is a feet-on-the-ground optimist. I support the club. Always will. I enjoy successes but keep one eye on the negatives, and I don't panic during rough times but keep my focus on the positives.
Right now we're in the best position the club has been in at any point during my time. and I'm grateful for that, and I believe this success has earned a large degree of trust. But it comes with not being blind to some large mistakes that have been made, and need to be addressed. I'm just not down with the approach that seems to be bubbling over on here at the moment of FOSUN OUT THEY HAVE FAILED US BY ESTABLISHING US EXACTLY WHERE WE SPENT DECADES WANTING TO BE, WE MUST BURN THEM.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

I think we got lucky in years 2 and 3 of Fosun as the vast majority of purchases paid off. In reality it’s always going to be hit and miss as they will buy potential rather than ready made. Certainly for the immediate future. Some will work, some won’t. It’s the mode they are following and all in all has been probably more successful than not but we did have 2/3 seasons when almost everything came off. Lots of other clubs have failures as well.

oldgolded

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Football is completely unrecognisable from when I started following it in the 1960s.
You can hardly classify it as a sport anymore. It is now a multi billion pound entertainment industry. I have a real love/hate relationship with it, probably more hate than love, and I abhor the amount of money sloshing around. Supporting Wolves is honestly more of a habit now than anything else. Having said that I still spend many hours thinking about the lads past and present.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

When you walk in through the turnstiles, through the concourse, to your seat, you see all the staff you walk past? You see the lights that come on? All these things have costs. A building doesn't operate for free, certainly not one the size of a football stadium. When you shop in a supermarket it's entirely fair to be angry right now at the 5, 10, 50p increases being whacked onto everything. But all the staff you walk past are putting food on the table just as you are.

D

Deleted member drgr12429

It's a football team. There is no guarantee of any result ever.
Playing Ruddy isn't the reason we lost to Norwich.
They are not.
Like i said, if you are not happy you have to vote with your feet. Not everyone will be happy whatever is done, i get it.

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score

They played Ruddy for sentimental reasons and lost £2 -4m as you say but are using Wolves as a cash cow.

Make your mind up dipstick.

bod101

Admin & No.4
Reaction score
Think this way about it, if you are self sustaining and can generate more cash then you can spend more within the rules, I think this is the message and plan we are following.

I do think our succession planning has gone a bit wonky with the position we are in at mo, but the earlier plan of a few good up and comers with a circa 30mil marquee wasnt a bad plan of action

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Can you ask Jeff for his views on Newcastle Jan activity.

And what they will spend this window.

Don't care, I'm a Wolves fan not a Newcastle fan. Though Jeff does make his views on Newcastle spending pretty clear in the video.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As football fans ( have we been brainwashed into forgetting what is important? )

" No issue being self sustainable "
" We need to balance the books"
" We need to build the brand to compete"
" We need the right kind of player "
" I can understand ticket price rise as we need to compete"
etc

When I watch Wolves 3 things matter to me. Win. Lose or Draw. Those 3 things dictate your league position.

End of.

From there league position will be dictated.

The way Fosun are operating at the moment really concerns me.

They are investing very little money. Using income only to run the club. Whilst creaming profit off for themselves.

It is a win win for them.

They only paid 30m for the club. Have saleable assets and parachute payments if it goes wrong. They can't lose. Sell players take money and sell club.

They are more interested in global fans then born and bred tribal Wolves fans who truly support the club.

If the team finishes higher up the league players, staff and management get bonuses ( all of football ) Wolves fans get ticket price increases. If we are "one pack" why aren't supporters on a similar scheme to drive the club forward.

If there is no or little investment coming what is the point of Fosun?

We might as well be a community Non Profit football club and run the club on 100% of profits.

Not Profits minus Fosun Profit. ( without any investment )

Yes they placed a bet during that championship season but again a lot were loans via Mendes and players with reputation and resale value. Not saying Fosun aren't smart - they are very smart.

Just saying what is a Wolves fan to you?

Winning matches or building a brand and being sustainable via a company creaming profit at little risk.
Creaming off the profits?……you might want to check that.
True they bought the club for about £35m but they invested a lot more than that…..you might want to check that.
They are NOT more interested in global fans ….

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
O
When you walk in through the turnstiles, through the concourse, to your seat, you see all the staff you walk past? You see the lights that come on? All these things have costs. A building doesn't operate for free, certainly not one the size of a football stadium. When you shop in a supermarket it's entirely fair to be angry right now at the 5, 10, 50p increases being whacked onto everything. But all the staff you walk past are putting food on the table just as you are.
ther clubs have these costs.

Inc Newcastle. Let’s ask Jeff about Newcastle and FFP

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
It's a football team. There is no guarantee of any result ever.
Playing Ruddy isn't the reason we lost to Norwich.
They are not.
Like i said, if you are not happy you have to vote with your feet. Not everyone will be happy whatever is done, i get it.
True. But they know there is a waiting list.

“ part of the pack “

If you keep paying our price increases.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
O

ther clubs have these costs.

Inc Newcastle. Let’s ask Jeff about Newcastle and FFP

You seem a bit obsessed with Newcastle. I think we can solve a problem here.

But also, once again, Jeff DOES discuss this in the video.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
They played Ruddy for sentimental reasons and lost £2 -4m as you say but are using Wolves as a cash cow.

Make your mind up dipstick.
The point is 1-4 million is change in PL.

So why price rise for 1m?

That is the 4th successive price increase.

Where is your season ticket?

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
You seem a bit obsessed with Newcastle. I think we can solve a problem here.

But also, once again, Jeff DOES discuss this in the video.
Ok. Explain to me how Newcastle can spend and we can’t? European restrictions have ended now.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Think this way about it, if you are self sustaining and can generate more cash then you can spend more within the rules, I think this is the message and plan we are following.

I do think our succession planning has gone a bit wonky with the position we are in at mo, but the earlier plan of a few good up and comers with a circa 30mil marquee wasnt a bad plan of action
But that’s my point. Why do we need owners if self sustaining?

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Ok. Explain to me how Newcastle can spend and we can’t? European restrictions have ended now.

Pretty easy. They were badly and tightly run for a decade, and are a club who have had decades of premier league exposure with just a few years in the championship. We are a club who spent almost all of that same time in the championship with a few years in the Prem.
They have chronically underspent for years, while still having a large fanbase, tv revenue, a fifty k seater stadium, and worldwide exposure. We are still trying to play catch up on all that exposure. We spent so long away from the big table. So they have a higher ffp ceiling than us. But -as Jeff says in the video- this will not last. The more they spend this summer, the more they eat away at that spending ceiling, and the tighter the purse strings will have to be in following windows.

Wolves at this point have the capacity to probably spend 50-80 million. That is their ceiling. (Before selling players.) But that ceiling has been raised by a few years of careful managament. And they may well choose to continue raising that ceiling by careful management, I don't know. I'd prefer they spend what they can now, but it's not mystery as to why Newcastle can spend more right now.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

1. How did we become self-sustaining in the top ten of the prem without these owners?
2. The fact is...we have these owners...there's no magic wand to be this self-sustaining top ten club without either them or some other large owner rich enough to buy them out...unless you have about four hundred million in your bank?

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
You clearly haven’t listened to Jeff. He doesn’t say Newcastle can spend and we can’t. He says they can spend more, but not much more. A big difference.

Your biggest complaint appears to be that your season ticket has gone up but that your £725 hasn’t be used to buy several £multi-million players. Notwithstanding, as others have pointed out, that the club have to pay far more than £725 to put on a football match. Just for your reference if you sat in the Steve Bull Upper or Billy Wright in 2003 you would have been charged £493 or £527 respectively if you were an existing season ticket holder. This equates to £830 or £888 in todays money and I am sure you can agree that Fosun’s transfer spends have been considerably better than Haywards and Moxey’s pathetic efforts that season.

The more I read this debate it feels more like a group of people who like to belong to a small tribe and will jealously defend the village against all newcomers and do their best to ostracise them. Meanwhile the rest of the world moves on and new empires are built and new technologies developed. The village however sticks to what it knows and keeps out this new technology because it’s new and different. It may even be dangerous. Why do you need central heating if you’ve got an open fire. Gradually the village becomes more and more irrelevant and ignored by the rest of the world but the tribe is happy with that as there’s nothing wrong with how they’ve always lived and anyway the rest of the world is evil and will soon learn the error of their ways and see that the tribe was right all along. The world decides to leave the tribe to their own devices to become a living museum pieces to demonstrate the rest of the world the folly of not embracing change.

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Just for your reference if you sat in the Steve Bull Upper or Billy Wright in 2003 you would have been charged £493 or £527 respectively if you were an existing season ticket holder. This equates to £830 or £888 in todays money and I am sure you can agree that Fosun’s transfer spends have been considerably better than Haywards and Moxey’s pathetic efforts that season.

Oleg Luzhny, Stefan Iverson, Henri Camara and Hassan Kachloul for more (in modern money) than Joao Moutinho, Jose Sa, Raul Jimenez, Pedro Neto....tough call.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
Dude - we are top top 25 clubs in Europe for revenue.
Pretty easy. They were badly and tightly run for a decade, and are a club who have had decades of premier league exposure with just a few years in the championship. We are a club who spent almost all of that same time in the championship with a few years in the Prem.
They have chronically underspent for years, while still having a large fanbase, tv revenue, a fifty k seater stadium, and worldwide exposure. We are still trying to play catch up on all that exposure. We spent so long away from the big table. So they have a higher ffp ceiling than us. But -as Jeff says in the video- this will not last. The more they spend this summer, the more they eat away at that spending ceiling, and the tighter the purse strings will have to be in following windows.

Wolves at this point have the capacity to probably spend 50-80 million. That is their ceiling. (Before selling players.) But that ceiling has been raised by a few years of careful managament. And they may well choose to continue raising that ceiling by careful management, I don't know. I'd prefer they spend what they can now, but it's not mystery as to why Newcastle can spend more right now.

But this is my argument.

What are FOSUN giving the loyal fans who go season after season.

Price rises for an extra one million.

That aint a good sign in todays climate.

I can afford it - can everyone?

Its a two way street.

What has been our net spend in the last 2 transfer windows?

And where is your season ticket?

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
1. How did we become self-sustaining in the top ten of the prem without these owners?
2. The fact is...we have these owners...there's no magic wand to be this self-sustaining top ten club without either them or some other large owner rich enough to buy them out...unless you have about four hundred million in your bank?

Jay.

I'm not dissing what they have done - im asking what are they doing?

Things can change.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
474 in 2018. 590 this year. That is 25% more. Or am i missing something? A 71% increase would make it 810.54.
It was £449 to renew in 18/19 but I should have said 5 years not 4.

17/18 - £345
22/23 - £590

71% rise.

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
You clearly haven’t listened to Jeff. He doesn’t say Newcastle can spend and we can’t. He says they can spend more, but not much more. A big difference.

Your biggest complaint appears to be that your season ticket has gone up but that your £725 hasn’t be used to buy several £multi-million players. Notwithstanding, as others have pointed out, that the club have to pay far more than £725 to put on a football match. Just for your reference if you sat in the Steve Bull Upper or Billy Wright in 2003 you would have been charged £493 or £527 respectively if you were an existing season ticket holder. This equates to £830 or £888 in todays money and I am sure you can agree that Fosun’s transfer spends have been considerably better than Haywards and Moxey’s pathetic efforts that season.

The more I read this debate it feels more like a group of people who like to belong to a small tribe and will jealously defend the village against all newcomers and do their best to ostracise them. Meanwhile the rest of the world moves on and new empires are built and new technologies developed. The village however sticks to what it knows and keeps out this new technology because it’s new and different. It may even be dangerous. Why do you need central heating if you’ve got an open fire. Gradually the village becomes more and more irrelevant and ignored by the rest of the world but the tribe is happy with that as there’s nothing wrong with how they’ve always lived and anyway the rest of the world is evil and will soon learn the error of their ways and see that the tribe was right all along. The world decides to leave the tribe to their own devices to become a living museum pieces to demonstrate the rest of the world the folly of not embracing change.

No. I have no problem with change.

One question.

Why would FOSUN raise ST prices to the loyal fan for an extar 1 million?

wolf1975

Groupie
Reaction score
It was £449 to renew in 18/19 but I should have said 5 years not 4.

17/18 - £345
22/23 - £590

71% rise.

Now imagine like players, management and owners there were bonuses for fans depending on league position.

The SB would be a f****** cauldron as would the rest of the ground.

But no. Lets get an extra 1 million in.

Not good in my opionion,

JayStringer

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Dude - we are top top 25 clubs in Europe for revenue.

But this is my argument.

What are FOSUN giving the loyal fans who go season after season.

Price rises for an extra one million.

That aint a good sign in todays climate.

I can afford it - can everyone?

Its a two way street.

What has been our net spend in the last 2 transfer windows?

And where is your season ticket?

This is getting embarrassing now.

Your point about the top 25 is.....proof that Fosun's approach has been working. As I said in a previous post, they have raised our spending ceiling....that comes from...yes....raising revenue. How have we gotten into the top 25 clubs? How long have we been there? And, crucially, will a Wolves who lost less revenue (ironically because of smaller stadium and lower costs) than many other clubs during the pandemic still be in the top 25 when those clubs have a full year of normal revenue again?

You are looking only at players on the pitch -even then Bawtry Wolf has pointed out Fosun are giving us better value in that regard than previous owners- but it has been explained to you repeatedly that there are other costs involved, and that costs across the board are rising. You keep asking me to ask Jeff things that...were already addressed by him in the video, and you've asked me a season ticket question again that I answered in the first place?

I think it's time the rest of us stopped biting. You're either a WUM or just throw out opinions without reading posts/watching the videos.

VancouverWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why do we need Fosun?

Because Wolves would still be in the lower leaagues.

When they considered buying a football club, ( in other words…when we won the lottery), they invested money to upgrade the players, amenities, the pitch etc.
After that, a good businessman will not keep throwing money into it, ( unless he has an emotional reason).

Back
Top Bottom