Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

No More Spiers

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Steve Madeley has been around for years, probably well before Spiers. As long as he writes well, that's what counts. Sometimes it's better not to have a fan.
If his first one is anything to go by, a bit….dry.
Which of course is quite the change from Tim’s (if occasionally overdone) ‘laddish’ exuberance.

BlahBlah

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
A decent journalist and obviously loves the Wolves.

However.

When did he last break a story, was right about news from within the club? I can’t remember it.

Most of that stopped at every football club when they got their own media people and directed players to speak only to them or the sanctioned broadcasters who paid for the rights. It's pretty much extinct with the only access at press conferences, which are also controlled by the club's media people. Even the foreign reporters are probably getting most of their info from friendly agents rather than the clubs.

Have to say, the money and attention that Wolves have put into in-house media and social media is out of this world....but they do control the message totally.

DDPPwolf313

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Didn't like his coverage from the point Lambert left to mid-way through our promotion season, ran with a pessimistic narrative that many of us felt was way off the mark when most of us were buzzing for a new era. But I can forgive him a pessimistic stance being a wolves fan.

Tried his best with transfers with very limited insight.

But really felt he improved over the last few years and enjoyed reading his articles and Twitter when previously I found him ****ing annoying. Best wishes to him in his new role in the big smoke.

clivewolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn't mind him. He wrote some decent articles. I think he was a bit lucky with the timing of Fosun buying Wolves which benefited his career, but we all need a bit of fortune sometimes. In another dimension it could have been Tim Nash getting the Wolves gig with The Athletic.

Welcome Mr. Madeley. Now that he is writing for the second most intelligent Premier League fanbase rather than the stripy inbreds he can start using words with more than two syllables.

Scallywolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Oh, that’s a shame. Really like Tim tbh. Will probably cancel my Athletic subscription.
I was thinking of subscribing to the Athletic but not now,

Main reason for subscribing was because Spiers has always been a Wolves reporter, either with the E and S or the Athletic. Liked his reporting style just as I like Liam Keen in the E and S now.

Not interested to read an ex Albion reporter in Steve Madeley thank you.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If we can't keep hold of Speirs how on Earth do we hope to keep hold of Neves?!

DanishWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I don’t know why anybody would cancel
their £1 per month subscription because TS has moved on?! The best articles have always been the non Wolves ones - and Madeley will be picking up the Wolves stuff anyway?

I agree..
I've throughly enjoyed lots of the non-Wolves stuff. Especially some of Oliver Kays in depth interviews.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
their £1 per month subscription because TS has moved on?! The best articles have always been the non Wolves ones - and Madeley will be picking up the Wolves stuff anyway?
Agree, I pay £1 a month and probably wouldn't be prepared to pay a lot more. I'm interested in the general football coverage as well as some of the NFL coverage. The Wolves coverage isn't really the reason I subscribe, but I enjoyed reading it.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Didn't like his coverage from the point Lambert left to mid-way through our promotion season, ran with a pessimistic narrative that many of us felt was way off the mark when most of us were buzzing for a new era. But I can forgive him a pessimistic stance being a wolves fan.

But really felt he improved over the last few years and enjoyed reading his articles and Twitter when previously I found him ****ing annoying. Best wishes to him in his new role in the big smoke.

His anger towards Fosun after Lambert left when Fosun kept changing narrative upset a lot of fans.
However he wasn't on is own, The first window and season was a mess (largely due to completion taking a while and losing out on Loupeigui) and no one could be certain that things would work out. Fosun publicly U turned twice on our strategy.

From the start of that pre-season in Austria where Spiers was a huge advocate of the noticable change in style and the signings of Neves and Jota, Tim was on board and was the first in the media to report (cautiously) something special could be happening.

The rest of the mainstream media at the time were very negative, saying how these young foreign players on huge money weren't suited for the physicality and endurance of the Championship.

Last edited:

Bill S Preston Esq.

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Most of that stopped at every football club when they got their own media people and directed players to speak only to them or the sanctioned broadcasters who paid for the rights. It's pretty much extinct with the only access at press conferences, which are also controlled by the club's media people. Even the foreign reporters are probably getting most of their info from friendly agents rather than the clubs.

Have to say, the money and attention that Wolves have put into in-house media and social media is out of this world....but they do control the message totally.
You can't tell some people mate, they think all journalists should be like Donal MacIntyre digging for dirt.

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I haven't read through the whole of this thread so I dont know if anyone has raised this but I am curious to know if Mendes has found him a new job = percentage of course:D

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Spot on.

Streathamwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

As you suggest, if pessimism excludes you from the Wolves family the Mix would be decimated.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Spiers' articles were always decent. I've given him some stick on here myself in the past, but still read his articles and follow his Twitter, so he can't be that bad!

I think sometimes he let his own thoughts and prejudices creep into his writing, but as a fan yourself it must be difficult to stop that happening.

Overall, he's done a decent enough job and it's probably the right time to move on.

Well done Tim, all the best for the future.

JonahWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Worth a pound a month all day long just for
Michael Cox.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Who takes over? My guess is noone in particular, I think some jobs at the Athletic are being consolidated and reduced in order to reduce expenses.
Going up in the world? Maybe. Maybe not. Depends on the financial outlook of the Athletic and how profitable, or even viable it is.

To be fair, I am only making a very superficial argument here, based solely on doubts of the Athletics' profitabilty. So, the fact that I have a low opinion of the chap is purely a bonus.
Met him briefly at an airport after one of the Europa games and at west park after we won the championship, seemed a nice enough chap to me.

As for the athletic I really like it, have to make a few train journeys with work and keeps me entertained. Personally more interested in the non wolves stuff and the articles about stuff you don’t read about in main stream but Iv got a big interest in football outside of Wolves, accept that some havnt. No idea how profitable it is.

whitnash wolf ex.dewsbury

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Met him briefly at an airport after one of the Europa games and at west park after we won the championship, seemed a nice enough chap to me.

As for the athletic I really like it, have to make a few train journeys with work and keeps me entertained. Personally more interested in the non wolves stuff and the articles about stuff you don’t read about in main stream but Iv got a big interest in football outside of Wolves, accept that some havnt. No idea how profitable it is.
lost $55mill.last year

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'm a bit ambivalent to him really. Only thing i really disliked about him really was how he had it in for Fosun in the early days and he still seems to have a chip on his shoulder about them even now imo.
Agreed. His articles are OK, but he can't seem to let go of an agenda

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I quite like his football reporting either match or ‘tactical’ analysis and interviews. I also thought he was good on the Podcast with Nathan Judah, which went down hill when Rob Edwards was reporting but has improved with Liam Keen. I also thought the podcast with Jaqui Oatley was good although some of her opinions grated (Giles was equal to RAN).

I think my biggest gripe was he never really called Morgan and Moxey to account. Particularly that final season where we were just drifting. Yet he was quick enough to criticise Fosun.

Stafford

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I quite like his football reporting either match or ‘tactical’ analysis and interviews. I also thought he was good on the Podcast with Nathan Judah, which went down hill when Rob Edwards was reporting but has improved with Liam Keen. I also thought the podcast with Jaqui Oatley was good although some of her opinions grated (Giles was equal to RAN).

I think my biggest gripe was he never really called Morgan and Moxey to account. Particularly that final season where we were just drifting. Yet he was quick enough to criticise Fosun.

Those final seasons were just about prepping us for a sale. With us being 'clean' financially the reason why Fosun purchased us.

Bawtry Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Those final seasons were just about prepping us for a sale. With us being 'clean' financially the reason why Fosun purchased us.
I understand that but he could have called out Moneyshop sponsorship but didn’t. And whilst hindsight is a perfect science we didn’t have a whiff of a takeover until about January 2017 when there were reports of groups of Chinese businessmen being shown round. Which he rubbished.

He of course famously rubbished reports of a takeover whilst Heron announced it was done and Wolves announced it later that morning.

WolfLing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I understand that but he could have called out Moneyshop sponsorship but didn’t. And whilst hindsight is a perfect science we didn’t have a whiff of a takeover until about January 2017 when there were reports of groups of Chinese businessmen being shown round. Which he rubbished.

He of course famously rubbished reports of a takeover whilst Heron announced it was done and Wolves announced it later that morning.

Miss the Heron.

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
I don’t mind Tim. Some of his longer articles on the Athletic are really good.

Wolves2018

Reaction score
Good bye and good riddance spiers, met him outside the mol, arrogant brat. Thinks his **** don't stink.

TelfordWolf

Reaction score
Feel a bit sorry for Spiers’ replacement. Already getting pelters/abuse on Twitter from Wolves fans in reply to his Southgate tweets.

TFWanderers

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The day he said ‘no truth in the Chinese takeover rumours’ and literally 48 hours Fosun burst on the scene, he lost credibility for me.

A tough job though as the Guess&Star burnt bridges with the club, in which Tim seemed to regain the relationship.

Hot Fuss

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The day he said ‘no truth in the Chinese takeover rumours’ and literally 48 hours Fosun burst on the scene, he lost credibility for me.

A tough job though as the Guess&Star burnt bridges with the club, in which Tim seemed to regain the relationship.
He didn’t say that as far as I’m aware.

Back
Top Bottom