Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

New Norwich City badge

Macman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Non Wolves related so I apologise, but the new Norwich City badge has just been released…. I quite like it, retains its tradition without creating anything fancy or removing anything and makes it ideal for digital platforms. Clean and simple…. Plus i remember i drew it back in 1974….

47566555-787F-4F69-AC13-A74A07D5B536.jpegF441824F-E516-4483-803B-FCE0470FB8FD.jpeg

LythamWolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
If the one on the right is the new one then it’s lost a big chunk of its tail.

Padraig

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It’s supposed to be a lion in the corner? I’d always assumed it was a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing tube man.

Super Ted

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was that worth the ****ing effort? Hardly ripping up the rule book and starting again!

Just a dumbed down version of the original.

T

TheConcourse

How many millions have they spaffed up the wall for someone just to remove some black lines?
They didn’t just remove the black lines. They took away walls to the soul. You can see through the bird now. You can feel the energy emanating through its single wing. That’s Norwich. Energy.*

*is allegedly how the final pitch went from some hyped up creative agency

WWFC4EVA

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Has the Canary been dropped for being naughty and ****ting on the ball?.....then been replaced by a sparrow???

S G Wolves

Bad lover
Reaction score
Non Wolves related so I apologise, but the new Norwich City badge has just been released…. I quite like it, retains its tradition without creating anything fancy or removing anything and makes it ideal for digital platforms. Clean and simple…. Plus i remember i drew it back in 1974….

View attachment 25269View attachment 25270
I used to love playing spot the difference :)

Wolf in Wednesbury

Reaction score
Apparently … “This is a huge moment in the history of Norwich City and a real statement of intent for the future. For the first time in 50 years the club will adopt a newly evolved crest, fit for digital purpose, iconic and most importantly accessible for all.”

I just thought it was a canary sitting on a ball … what makes this canary more accessible than the old canary? :tearsofjoy:

Polish Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I love it. It is in line with tradition while being refreshed in design. The example to follow unlike the infamous Juventus crest change.

Wonder Boyo

Yma O Hyd
Reaction score
I think they should have bitten the bullet and completely dropped that oldie worldie lion crest from the badge, leaving just the canary. Simple and fresh.

Nothing beats the simple, iconic instantly recognisable Wolves badge though.

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Apparently … “This is a huge moment in the history of Norwich City and a real statement of intent for the future. For the first time in 50 years the club will adopt a newly evolved crest, fit for digital purpose, iconic and most importantly accessible for all.”

I just thought it was a canary sitting on a ball … what makes this canary more accessible than the old canary? :tearsofjoy:
Cos the consultancy firm bull**** says so. The more they layer it on ... the more they can charge. Incredibly, there’s enough buffoons running big businesses to keep on coughing up.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

What a load of pretentious old twaddle.

inaglasshouse

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Meets the brief to retain the crappy fudge of random symbols, just make it slightly less busy so is scales better. Apart from that I love it.

ricki herberts moustache

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

View attachment 25269View attachment 25270

I like the old lion way more. Just look at his facial expression : he's about to go off

The new bird is OK but nothing special IMO

They've even tampered with the ball ffs

Wonder how much this new design cost them

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The lion & the castle are from the city's crest, but the lion's head should be facing left as per the original badge & the castle shown as 3 distinct towers/turrets. Strangely on some depictions the towers are domed (although the actual castle wasn't) but no one seems to be able to explain this-unless it was some artistic licence referring back to Richard I, who gave Norwich its charter, & the crusades (Jerusalem Dome?).
The canary was introduced into the city by protestant refugees in the 16th century.

ombyman

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to be named as a big deal, they wouldnt have dropped WBA in there. What did these do for us? Or was it that profound that no one noticed?!20211124_081019.jpg

Flump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Good to be named as a big deal, they wouldnt have dropped WBA in there. What did these do for us? Or was it that profound that no one noticed?

Looks like they did the 3d wolves head design used as a background for things like the website, and the font with the notch taken out. People joke about paying money to designers, but imagine if you picked someone who didn't think this:

We knew not to touch the club’s iconic badge, but instead, use it as inspiration for a new 3D brand property.

Dr Wolfenstein

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think they should have bitten the bullet and completely dropped that oldie worldie lion crest from the badge, leaving just the canary. Simple and fresh.

Nothing beats the simple, iconic instantly recognisable Wolves badge though.
Blame Esso. The original badge (from 1907 onwards) was just the canary either with or without a branch, but no ball. Then Esso produced a football promotional series & used the city's coat of arms as representing the football club. To clear up any confusion, in 1971 the club ran a design competition for a new logo & it was won by a local architect who incorporated both symbols. He won a tenner, but gave up the copyright!

Ebbo

Reaction score
As a design agency owner, I can imagine the brief would have been all about retaining the heritage and equity of a badge that's been around for many many years. That was an awful starting point mind you!

It's been modernised, simplified and made suitable for many more years to come. A logo / badge needs to work across more media platforms than ever before, so the old crest was in need of a refresh. It's evolved like many logos do over the years. Bristol City and Cheltenham Town have both updated 'bird' related badges fairly recently. Very few clubs would just throw out the old and start from scratch because of the emotional attachment and push back that would come from supporters.

It's easy to be critical as we have arguably the most recognisable, iconic and usable badge in British football... possibly even further afield, but this is a decent piece of 'brand evolution' and I'm sure the club are delighted.

There... hopefully not too much flowery design agency b**ll**t in that post

Back
Top Bottom