Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neto - Lack of celebration

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Pedro Neto on not celebrating after his equaliser on Monday

“I didn’t celebrate because last year with VAR for me was very bad. When I scored the goal, it was all so fast, I didn’t celebrate because I wasn’t sure what the decision would be.” [via E&S]

It's staggering how little this aspect is even so much as mentioned on telly when VAR is inevitably demanding attention and discussion. Yet, it's literally the greatest thing about the entire game, being ultimately ruined and taken away on 99% of goals, and hell, even penalty saves now.

I was exactly the same as Neto, and I imagine many others were too.

What a sad state of affairs.

woop woop barmy army

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest based on Neto reaction i didnt thinking it was going to be offside; shame as taking the enjoyment out of the game

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

“I didn’t celebrate because last year with VAR for me was very bad. When I scored the goal, it was all so fast, I didn’t celebrate because I wasn’t sure what the decision would be.” [via E&S]

It's staggering how little this aspect is even so much as mentioned on telly when VAR is inevitably demanding attention and discussion. Yet, it's literally the greatest thing about the entire game, being ultimately ruined and taken away on 99% of goals, and hell, even penalty saves now.

His couple of goals last season that got chalked off by VAR must have gutted him, both times I dont think ive seen a wolves player so elated to score. Sad state of affairs really and thats the problem with VAR it takes so much joy out the game. I may have been at home but I too didnt celebrate his goal as was too busy looking to see if it was being referred.

The Wolf In The North

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope player reactions like this get publicised more, as it's been my main problem with VAR from day one.

Every single goal now is the same. "Will that stand? Can't celebrate yet."

Take any momentous goal you can remember, Wolves or otherwise, and then imagine having to wait maybe a couple of minutes before it's verified because of an offside toe or it might have brushed an arm, or just because VAR feels the need to get involved regardless. Aguerooooo, Bennett against Bristol City, Neves from distance, Bergkamp against Argentina... of all the things that might kill football as a live spectator sport, VAR is the nuclear weapon.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope player reactions like this get publicised more, as it's been my main problem with VAR from day one.

Every single goal now is the same. "Will that stand? Can't celebrate yet."

Take any momentous goal you can remember, Wolves or otherwise, and then imagine having to wait maybe a couple of minutes before it's verified because of an offside toe or it might have brushed an arm, or just because VAR feels the need to get involved regardless. Aguerooooo, Bennett against Bristol City, Neves from distance, Bergkamp against Argentina... of all the things that might kill football as a live spectator sport, VAR is the nuclear weapon.

Just thinking of the Bennett one now, how mental I went.

100% I'd be thinking, oh that could be offside. The delivery was that quick, who could really be sure in the moment?

And yet, all VAR actually does is show just how accurate line officials are 99% of the time. And I'd take that 1% leverage every single time over this utter ****.

Fifty Niner

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't the technology, it's how they interpret and implement it not to mention the inconsistencies. Waiting for players to re-start the game before ruling out a goal for offside, or for some earlier infringement in the build up, is farcical.

But given the amount of vitriol aimed at referees before its introduction it was inevitable this was going to happen. The referees are always the villains or scapegoats. If managers, players, pundits and fans demand perfection then referees need help to get it right. What was that saying about being careful what we wish for!

Pessimistic Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also assumed it was offside initially and didn't really celebrate. Usually when a striker takes a shot, a lot of the player running for the follow-up were caught offside. Absolute credit to Neto for staying on there.

I do wonder to what extent the law makings take players' feelings into account when devising and reforming the law. Presumably not a huge amount, but it would be interesting if the PFA were to communicate something to PGMOL?

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It isn't the technology, it's how they interpret and implement it not to mention the inconsistencies. Waiting for players to re-start the game before ruling out a goal for offside, or for some earlier infringement in the build up, is farcical.

But given the amount of vitriol aimed at referees before its introduction it was inevitable this was going to happen. The referees are always the villains or scapegoats. If managers, players, pundits and fans demand perfection then referees need help to get it right. What was that saying about being careful what we wish for!

I'm sorry, it is the technology. Simply it's presence alone makes you feel like you can't celebrate. Before it's introduction, you knew immediately if the goal was going to be given or disallowed.

It doesn't matter if they tweak the lenience in terms of the offside rule in particular, there will always be that seed of doubt in fans mind now because of VAR. How could there not be? We all have different views of the game. It's incredibly difficult to see if something is clearly on or off side with the pace of the game. So we relied on officials to do that for us, and went with the initial human decision and that was that.

Now you can never be sure. And that's why eventually every single goal will feel like this, if it doesn't already for most people. So long as technology exists in any capacity, regardless of improvements, this will never go away when it comes to celebrating a goal again.

D

Deleted member 5910

The best (and most amusing way) to protest VAR is for everyone on the team to deliberately not celebrate, maybe make some deliberate gesture like tapping an imaginary watch. Then wait for the VAR check to complete and award the goal, then go absolutely OTT berserk with the celebration. A farcical system deserves a farcical response.

Oh When the Wolves

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The best (and most amusing way) to protest VAR is for everyone on the team to deliberately not celebrate, maybe make some deliberate gesture like tapping an imaginary watch. Then wait for the VAR check to complete and award the goal, then go absolutely OTT berserk with the celebration. A farcical system deserves a farcical response.
Yeah after the 5 min review at that point all bundle in the crowd

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Cracking idea yet we all know what would happen the team that had the nuance to do so mickey take, they would be fined and charged with the old classic " Bringing the game into disrepute " which of course in my book is exactly what the farcical hand ball, pubic hair offside and other rules are doing, as is VAR for enforcing the whole " Disreputable fiasco "

Phitsanulok (Poole) Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Yes referees are the villains and scapegoats. Now there are twice as many of the useless *******s.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR is a total **** and I hope its soon binned ! All we need in my book is goal line technology and common sense.

At least referee's are enjoying less flack these days, although giving the men and women in black/green/pink etc. some stick has always been part of the game along with goal celebrations.

We have to get back to that instantaneous celebration even if it is then ruled out by an official for offside or another infringement.
That will in turn allow us to re-engage with the officials and tell them how much we've missed them. ;)

Neptune

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
I celebrated Neto's goal for about 1 second and them immediately checked myself

The reason we watch sports is for entertainment and excitement, not for the 100% accurate interpretation of the rulebook

Anything that decreases the entertainment value of the product should be questioned

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By far the worst thing for me is the inconsistency in how far they can go back in a move to find a reason to disallow a goal
It was obvious to me at the time Neto was onside,but then i had to try and recall if there was someone else 5 passes earlier that may have been
Its crazy how sometimes they go back 5/6 passes and other times its almost instant,there must be a rule surely but i cant be ***** to look

Norman Bell

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
By far the worst thing for me is the inconsistency in how far they can go back in a move to find a reason to disallow a goal
It was obvious to me at the time Neto was onside,but then i had to try and recall if there was someone else 5 passes earlier that may have been
Its crazy how sometimes they go back 5/6 passes and other times its almost instant,there must be a rule surely but i cant be ***** to look

I believe it is there in sub section C paragraph D which says the following.

" If a team has the audacity to dare to score at Old Trafford or Anfield then Stockley Park ( also known as The VAR militia ) has the right to look back through a minimum of 5 minutes footage to see if a " goal " against a team in red jersey can and should be cancelled. Of course if the team with the wording Manchester United or Liverpool in it's title commits a foul at anytime in the build up to themselves scoring this is to be totally ignored as per the instruction from Sky as they are not wasting coverage of anyone outside the Big Six ! " :p :p :p

wallace

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't think VAR has improved judgements with its dodgy lines across the pitch for toenail offsides, trying to work out if arms are or are not in natural positions, checking goalies to see if they are stood on the goaline after still strange penalties being given Its made us observer's of technology and officials are still prone to controversal decisions. Overall its taken the spontaneity of our celebrations of goals scored though
Thats 1-0 to technology and the officials who hide behind it.

Last edited:

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
His couple of goals last season that got chalked off by VAR must have gutted him, both times I dont think ive seen a wolves player so elated to score. Sad state of affairs really and thats the problem with VAR it takes so much joy out the game. I may have been at home but I too didnt celebrate his goal as was too busy looking to see if it was being referred.
Me too.

Rednal Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Like the idea but knowing our luck some prat of a ref like Marriner would book the whole team and the bench for ungentlemanly conduct.
Feel for players and fans........VAR has proved to be a real pain.

SA Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
VAR is a total **** and I hope its soon binned ! All we need in my book is goal line technology and common sense.

At least referee's are enjoying less flack these days, although giving the men and women in black/green/pink etc. some stick has always been part of the game along with goal celebrations.

We have to get back to that instantaneous celebration even if it is then ruled out by an official for offside or another infringement.
That will in turn allow us to re-engage with the officials and tell them how much we've missed them. ;)
Not going to be binned any time soon. Just need to hope that it is modified and improved to be somewhat more acceptable than it currently is. As for refs getting (enjoying!) less flack; have you not seen the Marriner thread? ;) :rolleyes:

Floyd Man

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That experience at Anfield last season changed Neto. Liverpool fans ridiculed him online afterwards when they would have known he had scored a perfectly good goal. I just hope he sticks it to them this season.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Thought he was off to Liverpool or something.

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
How many goal celebrations are spontaneous after the initial YES! Jubilation an awful lot seem rehearsed and I find them embarrassing.

Wolves don’t seem to do much of this thankfully, just a huddle.

Golden Arrow

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not going to be binned any time soon. Just need to hope that it is modified and improved to be somewhat more acceptable than it currently is. As for refs getting (enjoying!) less flack; have you not seen the Marriner thread? ;) :rolleyes:

I would suggest stick on social media is not quite the same as getting a full volley from the terraces.

Bankswolf The Third

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I never properly celebrate goals and honestly until the day its gone I don't think I ever will
And fans celebrating goals disallowed can get in the bin as well

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
To be honest based on Neto reaction i didnt thinking it was going to be offside; shame as taking the enjoyment out of the game
What, you mean that you don't go/watch to wait for the verdict of some PGMOL **** on the end of a video link? Old Mother Riley, the chief *****, will be heartbroken....

Alex Rae The Substitute

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I didn’t celebrate either as took his reaction as a suggestion it would be offside.

In general when watching on tv I don’t really celebrate at all these days, all because of VAR, I still celebrate when at the game (or used to), but not as wildly as I did pre-VAR. I’m just not relaxed about a decision until the game has kicked off again.

It’s ****ing ****, for want of a better way to put it. VAR has negatively impacted the experience of watching games, no matter what debatable improvements it may have made to analyzing the minutiae of in play decisions. That is a very sad state for the game to be in.

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

Imagine if all Premier League footballers seriously agreed to stop diving and cheating...on condition that VAR was removed.

I think the two - the introduction of VAR and the increase in "unsporting" behaviour are inextricably linked VAR became kind of inevitable with the way the game has evolved.

wwfc9

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
If they changed the offside law to daylight ( actually can draw a line between players and make it feet only ) you would then get the linesman flagging and you would be expecting the goal to be chalked off , surely that’s better than no visual in the ground whatsoever , having a muted celebration then having it chalked off , players and fans a like always looked across to the linesman if contentious ....

Darvo

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Killing the goal celebration is one of the most damaging aspects of VAR.

Imagine the ‘celebration’ 10 years into VAR when every team and supporter has been stung.

I’m just glad that most of my supporting lifetime will have been without it.

I absolutely hate it ... and the imbeciles that run it.

I feel for the younger fans.

Tonesterwolf

Reaction score
Have to admit me and my boys did exactly the same as Neto by not celebrating and only relaxed when seeing the first replay and realised there was no way VAR could rule it out. It really is sad for the game.

Haggstone

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Words can not describe how much I absolutely hate it. The joy and passion of scoring a goal is gone. Throw in the absence of crowds and at the moment I’m following football purely out of habit.

No one likes it, not the players, managers, fans, pundits no one. It’s someone’s pet project though isn’t it, that’s why we seem to be stuck with it.

Eastern Wolf

Reaction score
Fantastic player with a great attitude. Has more upside than Jota. Uncle George will move him on within two years after a stint at his finishing school for Portuguese up and coming stars otherwise known as Molineux. In the meantime, he will be one of our top players who we should enjoy while we can

Lupo Italiano

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I must admit I too now celebrate for a couple of seconds then wait to see if/why the goal is going to be disallowed. A sad and awful development in the game but then I continually question why a complete muppet like Mike Riley who was a poor and despicable referee has been given carte blanche to ruin our football

Back
Top Bottom