Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Neto Injury

John de Wolf's hairdryer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there have been some changes unless I am mistaken.
Not from all the injuries last season Neto, Jonny, Podence are all our main injuries out. Boly also had a hammy last year
We lost our Head of Medical, Phil Hayward, in January 2020. Went to L.A. Galaxy. It seems a strange coincidence that there has been a strong uptick in injuries in our squad since he left; it may however just be that - a coincidence.

Notsoslimshady

Groupie
Reaction score
As stated on another thread, this spate of injuries is directly related to us having two seasons in one with no break … a 24 month season! Exhausted players! Unprecedented times leading to unprecedented injury list (for Fosun era)
I still think it is disgusting we were not given at least an extra week last year given the circumstances. I think it was the start of things going wrong

Contrarian

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So....after 6 pages, no-one knows what's what! Some say he's dead, some say he was spotted this morning pulling a truck with just one knee.

That's OK then - so long as he doesn't make a miraculous recovery and sign for Spurs next week. That's the worst case, isn't it?

SoCal_Wolf

Reaction score
Injuries happen sometimes and we've definitely had bad luck, but there's also been too many cases of players having injuries stack up.

Podence was rushed back from his abductor tear and ended up needing groin surgery. It was obvious he wasn't right when he initially came back.

Boly had a vague muscle injury that he came back from after 3 weeks, only to shortly afterwards miss another 3 weeks with another vague muscle injury.

Jonny played 6 months to the day after his torn ACL. The recovery time for that injury is 6-9 months.

Neto picked up a knock when playing for Portugal and he got hurt on a fairly innocuous tackle. These two could be unrelated, but if the rumor is true about a re-aggravation, that's another player with a serious injury setback. And if it's true, it's also fair to wonder about the timeline they had set for him and his recovery. Like Jonny, 6 months is a very quick recovery for such a serious injury.
Since I've seen this leveled at the club several times, I would like to clear up that Jonny's reinjury and Neto's injury have nothing to do with overuse, coming back too soon, or otherwise malpractice by the medical staff.

In this article, Nuno clearly states that it was an underlying problem that caused both injuries to Johnny:

On whether the latest issue came as a result of a tackle during training, Nuno said: "No, no. It was very similar to what happened with the first one. When he put his right foot on the ground, he was unbalanced and he felt something. I don't think even he could explain exactly what, but he felt it ... It was a meeting between us and the medical department, analysing the situation and why. But it wouldn't be fair to do it in public. I'm sure (he will play again), because the doctors, Jonny, myself – we all know why. That's why we are so worried about finding the right surgery for him to do, so he doesn't have any setbacks on the same situation."

If you recall, Jonny was brought back slowly with limited minutes. He ended up playing in seven games before reinjuring the knee in training. Based on the article above and other articles describing Jonny's successful surgery, I really don't think that it was the medical staff's rehabilitation protocol that was at fault.

For Neto, patellar fractures don't just happen willy-nilly. They either occur from blunt force (i.e., falling or hitting the kneecap on a hard surface) or from a sudden, hard contraction of the quadriceps muscle that pulls the patella apart indirectly (see this website for more info). I suspect that the latter occurred when Neto was riding the challenge and he planted his foot awkwardly while his leg was extended (I'm not medical doctor, but he certainly didn't receive a sharp blow to the knee). You don't get a fracture from tired muscles or overuse; you just don't.

Did Podence try to come back and play while still feeling the effects of his injury? I believe so, yes. He tried to fight through it, but ultimately needed surgery.

Boly sat out over three weeks after his first hammy injury. Came back, had another hammy strain. Then, had long covid. I don't think he was "rushed" back. Rather, hammy injuries are just damn easy to reinjure and they hard notoriously hard to determine when a player is ready to return (see, for example, HAMSTRING INJURY REHABILITATION AND PREVENTION OF REINJURY USING LENGTHENED STATE ECCENTRIC TRAINING: A NEW CONCEPT):

Hamstring strains account for 12–16% of all injuries in athletes with a reinjury rate reported as high as 22–34%...Several risk factors for hamstring strains have been proposed in the literature, including: decreased flexibility, strength deficits, muscle fatigue, poor core stability, lack of proper warm-up, poor lumbar posture, and a prior hamstring injury. Previous hamstring injury appears to be the most consistent risk factor for restraining the hamstring. Engebretsen et al examined over 500 amateur soccer players prospectively and among all the risk factors examined, previous acute hamstring strain was the strongest risk factor for recurrent strain. In fact, a previous hamstring strain has been shown to increase the risk of a recurrence two to six times.

Here is an article from 2017 in the British Journal of Sports Medicine on the development of a Return to Play (RTP) Protocol where a panel of 58 international experts reached consensus regarding RTP terminology, definition, medical criteria, responsibilities and consultation for RTP after hamstring injuries in football.

Anyway, my point is that the experts are still learning how best to determine when athletes can return to the game in the quickest time possible, while minimizing the risk of future injury. As we all know, there is still an element of risk when players return to high intensity competition; even though the team physios are definitely following the best-known science within the sports medicine field.

Leominster_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Since I've seen this leveled at the club several times, I would like to clear up that Jonny's reinjury and Neto's injury have nothing to do with overuse, coming back too soon, or otherwise malpractice by the medical staff.

In this article, Nuno clearly states that it was an underlying problem that caused both injuries to Johnny:

If you recall, Jonny was brought back slowly with limited minutes. He ended up playing in seven games before reinjuring the knee in training. Based on the article above and other articles describing Jonny's successful surgery, I really don't think that it was the medical staff's rehabilitation protocol that was at fault.

For Neto, patellar fractures don't just happen willy-nilly. They either occur from blunt force (i.e., falling or hitting the kneecap on a hard surface) or from a sudden, hard contraction of the quadriceps muscle that pulls the patella apart indirectly (see this website for more info). I suspect that the latter occurred when Neto was riding the challenge and he planted his foot awkwardly while his leg was extended (I'm not medical doctor, but he certainly didn't receive a sharp blow to the knee). You don't get a fracture from tired muscles or overuse; you just don't.

Did Podence try to come back and play while still feeling the effects of his injury? I believe so, yes. He tried to fight through it, but ultimately needed surgery.

Boly sat out over three weeks after his first hammy injury. Came back, had another hammy strain. Then, had long covid. I don't think he was "rushed" back. Rather, hammy injuries are just damn easy to reinjure and they hard notoriously hard to determine when a player is ready to return (see, for example, HAMSTRING INJURY REHABILITATION AND PREVENTION OF REINJURY USING LENGTHENED STATE ECCENTRIC TRAINING: A NEW CONCEPT):

Here is an article from 2017 in the British Journal of Sports Medicine on the development of a Return to Play (RTP) Protocol where a panel of 58 international experts reached consensus regarding RTP terminology, definition, medical criteria, responsibilities and consultation for RTP after hamstring injuries in football.

Anyway, my point is that the experts are still learning how best to determine when athletes can return to the game in the quickest time possible, while minimizing the risk of future injury. As we all know, there is still an element of risk when players return to high intensity competition; even though the team physios are definitely following the best-known science within the sports medicine field.
For good god man will you get with the program.
No athletes in the world ever get injuries - except Wolverhampton.
Our medical team are clearly worse than everyone else, and only have a fisher price medical kit.
We are being lied to and every first team player Is having a leg amputated .
The team doc or bruno doesn’t call JOS with daily updates.
Vinny won’t pay for a new treatment room until he sells the naming rights on eBay.
Its all semedo’s fault.
and finally, it’s a clear sign the fosun have lost interest and are pulling out, we never got injuries when fosun first came in.

WKFWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For good god man will you get with the program.
No athletes in the world ever get injuries - except Wolverhampton.
Our medical team are clearly worse than everyone else, and only have a fisher price medical kit.
We are being lied to and every first team player Is having a leg amputated .
The team doc or bruno doesn’t call JOS with daily updates.
Vinny won’t pay for a new treatment room until he sells the naming rights on eBay.
Its all semedo’s fault.
and finally, it’s a clear sign the fosun have lost interest and are pulling out, we never got injuries when fosun first came in.
dont forget Silvas hair weighing him down each game, clearly should have been picked up in the medical

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
Maybe strong Scandinavians?

I'm going for ones with bulging biceps, long beards, horns on their heads, and manly names such as Sven and Bjorn.

Oooh, my Gayometer's just gone off the charts...
Trust me, having lived out here for a while, certainly young Norwegian men are very far from their worldwide stereotype.

Extremely introvert having been indoctrinated with male values being minimalised in favour of being more feminine. An alarming lack of true characters in this society.

goldeneyed

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
So seven pages in, not a dickie bird of proof one way or the other. Welcome to Molineux Mix.....

KBWWFC

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
For Neto, patellar fractures don't just happen willy-nilly. They either occur from blunt force (i.e., falling or hitting the kneecap on a hard surface) or from a sudden, hard contraction of the quadriceps muscle that pulls the patella apart indirectly (see this website for more info).

You don't get a fracture from tired muscles or overuse; you just don't.

It is rare, but stress fractures of the patella can occur from overuse (Ref 1, Ref 2, Ref 3 (pdf) ). Stress fractures can propagate (Ref), and the common treatment route is surgery.

Neto was carrying an injury to the same knee, and he was being played through it and heavily taped.

Due to the rarity of stress fractures, they're not often diagnosed straight away, and don't always come with warning signs - in the case of the middle distance runner above, she didn't experience popping or cracking of the knee, she was still able to bear weight on the knee, and it was diagnosed via scans when normal exams couldn't find anything.

Transverse stress fractures of the patella are commonly found in athletes that participate in jumping and kicking sports, (Basketball, football).

It isn't beyond the realms of possibility that he was misdiagnosed initially with a "knock", played through, and it propagated during a match.

Bognor_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
What a shocker! These long term injuries to our big players is a ****take!

Loefah

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Spiers confirms it then. He'll be back for the last few months of the season at best.

Back
Top Bottom