Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nelson Semedo

Norway Wolves

Reaction score
seeing that Johnny cash come in would really hurt, especially if our incomings were just one solitary man. I guess we'd have to hang our heads, walk the line, and hope further on up the road there is a redemption day.
Nice work!

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo has massively improved this season. I could see there was a player in there but he has really developed this season and it was a shame to lose him to injury. I'm still critical about his lack of taking players on and his tendency to turn and back pass from an attacking position but overall still a big improvement.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Semedo has massively improved this season. I could see there was a player in there but he has really developed this season and it was a shame to lose him to injury. I'm still critical about his lack of taking players on and his tendency to turn and back pass from an attacking position but overall still a big improvement.

Over 100 appearances for Barcelona. Portugal regular.... and you could see there was a player in there eh? Well done ;)

It’s fair to say like myself and many others you might have some patience and understanding when a foreign player arrives at a new club in a different league in another country with a new language. Not to mention finding a place to live and trying to integrate a young family.

Many others demanded excellence from day 1 and were duly dissatisfied and disappointed. They did not miss in their assessments of him. Poor ol’ Nels really took a hiding on here last season.

Hawkguy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Why though? He's still high statistically in dribbling and moving forward? He's not RAN who ranks at the top, but he's still very high. He's also much better than RAN in almost every other statistic except pressures and tackles.

Semedo is a very complete fullback.

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Against bottom of the league in the under 23's and still conceded 3.

Different ball game against Premier league forwards. Don't rush him back and ease him in.
Hadn’t he been subbed off before their second and third goals?
And as a comparison to Hoever…no contest

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Over 100 appearances for Barcelona. Portugal regular.... and you could see there was a player in there eh? Well done ;)

It’s fair to say like myself and many others you might have some patience and understanding when a foreign player arrives at a new club in a different league in another country with a new language. Not to mention finding a place to live and trying to integrate a young family.

Many others demanded excellence from day 1 and were duly dissatisfied and disappointed. They did not miss in their assessments of him. Poor ol’ Nels really took a hiding on here last season.

Barcelona are not the force they were and we definitely paid a "Barca premium" for Semedo. In the game they lost conceeding 8 goals to Bayern, Semedo was largely responsible for 4 of those goals conceded and thats probably the main reason they offloaded him.

Semedo was very poor for 12 months after we bought him. Good touch, good ball retention but very poor defensively and he posed virtually no threat going forward. Overall this last 6 months has been much improved defensively, still could do a lot more getting forward and is too prone to getting level with the 18 yard line and passing back. I'd add that he is light years ahead of Hoever so we will definitely miss him in the games ahead.

sillytuna

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Semedo was very poor for 12 months after we bought him. Good touch, good ball retention but very poor defensively and he posed virtually no threat going forward. Overall this last 6 months has been much improved defensively, still could do a lot more getting forward and is too prone to getting level with the 18 yard line and passing back. I'd add that he is light years ahead of Hoever so we will definitely miss him in the games ahead.
As a resident semedo knoncker I have to defend him here. He was poor for the first part of the season, woeful actually. However, he improved dramatically as he got used to the league and certainly wasn't poor defensively for the back end of last season (no more than anyone else).

What he lacked until early this season was any attacking flair. He'd constantly pass the ball backwards from good positions but that changed in late nov/early dec. Throughout this season he's been consistently good defensively.

We missed him really badly on Sunday, just as we missed RAN. That said, on Thursday neither full back had any options in front of them either.

Besides, how nice has it been to watch him go from bloody hopeless to perhaps contender for PoS? Sa and Kilman are ahead of him, but he's been close to Neves for me.

Michellis

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Hadn’t he been subbed off before their second and third goals?
And as a comparison to Hoever…no contest
I would prefer not to see Hoever for quite some time....
Semedo has improved tremendously. Hope he gets fully fit ASAP .....

Sammy Chungs Tracksuit

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a resident semedo knoncker I have to defend him here. He was poor for the first part of the season, woeful actually. However, he improved dramatically as he got used to the league and certainly wasn't poor defensively for the back end of last season (no more than anyone else).

What he lacked until early this season was any attacking flair. He'd constantly pass the ball backwards from good positions but that changed in late nov/early dec. Throughout this season he's been consistently good defensively.

We missed him really badly on Sunday, just as we missed RAN. That said, on Thursday neither full back had any options in front of them either.

Besides, how nice has it been to watch him go from bloody hopeless to perhaps contender for PoS? Sa and Kilman are ahead of him, but he's been close to Neves for me.
Thats a fair and balanced comment. Yes all the players were poor at the back end of last season. What wanst really clear at the time was if the team were having to carry Semedo (because he had been poor all season). My thoughts were that Semedo was a big part of the 2020/21 underperformance problem. With hindsight that was maybe a bit harsh and it is difficult to play well in a struggling team.
I agree he has mostly been very decent this season. The defence has been amazing this year so as an almost ever present he deserves a fair bit of credit for that and we look a lot weaker with Hoever at RWB.

CologneWolf

Reaction score
Barcelona are not the force they were and we definitely paid a "Barca premium" for Semedo. In the game they lost conceeding 8 goals to Bayern, Semedo was largely responsible for 4 of those goals conceded and thats probably the main reason they offloaded him.

My original comment was more a playful jab at the notion you had identified the talent in some undiscovered gem.

But I would disagree in saying he was “very poor” for 12 months. In any case he is performing much better this season and I think he comfortably fits in the tier directly below world-class.

Hoping to have Hoever play in an extended run of games just to get some decent first team football under his belt if nothing else. But at the same time I’m also hoping Semedo is back sooner rather than later.

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I am gonna get accused of being a hater again, but I don't think we'll miss him as much as some of you guys think. That said, I would much rather he was available against Zaha at the weekend.

Andy

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I did. What was so bad?
Do you think Semedo plays and it's a different result? I don't.
With respect, all about opinions, but I think you're way off here. Not sure if you were there in person, maybe it didn't seem as bad on TV, but he was awful on Sunday.

Complete lack of confidence, couldn't judge the flight of the ball, positioning seemed wrong, no ability to take anyone on, and his team mates didn't seem comfortable giving him the ball.

Hopefully it was a one off, but I'm counting the days until Semedo is fit.

AberWolf

Reaction score
With respect, all about opinions, but I think you're way off here. Not sure if you were there in person, maybe it didn't seem as bad on TV, but he was awful on Sunday.

Complete lack of confidence, couldn't judge the flight of the ball, positioning seemed wrong, no ability to take anyone on, and his team mates didn't seem comfortable giving him the ball.

Couldn't have put it better

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

All I'm saying is that, we have a period where he is out. If the step down is so significant I expect to see a difference some how in results, chances created, goals conceded. Something tangible other than looking comfortable on the ball.
I have a feeling that won't happen.

Krispy Kreme

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
All I'm saying is that, we have a period where he is out. If the step down is so significant I expect to see a difference some how in results, chances created, goals conceded. Something tangible other than looking comfortable on the ball.

Well we are two losses in so far hopefully youre right and we start winning but so far it seems like we are missing him.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

We created by far the least chances we have all season against West Ham. Our wingback play was utter dismal.

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thursday, and still no news which I find very strange. Surely a hamstring is not difficult to diagnose and an estimate of how long he'll be out?

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
On that note, do we how long he is out for?
I haven't seen any update but it's clearly a hamstring problem. The time out varies according to the severity of the damage (obviously!). Unfortunately, Semedo had to limp off, suggesting it's not a minor one, so I would anticipate we won't see him back and flying down the touchline for a good couple of months.

6 weeks min I would think. Hope I'm wrong but it could even be season-ending in the worst-case scenario.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Thursday, and still no news which I find very strange. Surely a hamstring is not difficult to diagnose and an estimate of how long he'll be out?

Probably because there hasn't been a press conference for media to ask the question on progress yet? Guessing there is one later today or tomorrow.

Don't think managers are in the game of clubs confirming which players are definitely out proactively [unless it's clearly obvious], so not to help the opposition.

Think Thiago did his hamstring in the Carabao Cup warmup and they've said they expect him back by the end of next week [missing 2-3 games], so severity obviously ranges!

WolfInSheep'sClothing

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
We created by far the least chances we have all season against West Ham. Our wingback play was utter dismal.
I thought we were ****, but we had 14 shots, and nobody is telling me that we worse than we were against Norwich.
And the Hwang chance came from initial good work from Silva and Hoever on the right.
I'm not convinced Semedo picks up Cresswell on the right for the goal either, because ultimately it's trincao and Neves who should make the tackle; Hoever is on the winger. I'm in two minds whether he should be or not.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

I thought we were ****, but we had 14 shots, and nobody is telling me that we worse than we were against Norwich.
And the Hwang chance came from initial good work from Silva and Hoever on the right.
I'm not convinced Semedo picks up Cresswell on the right for the goal either, because ultimately it's trincao and Neves who should make the tackle; Hoever is on the winger. I'm in two minds whether he should be or not.
Hwangs was barely a chance, half of west ham in between him and goal. Hoever is absolutely dismal

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dammit.

Still… this is Hoever’s opportunity right now. He’s never going to get a better chance of a sustained run in the team what with Jonny not being ready for many minutes.
Can't professional players play on different sides of the pitch? If Jonny's fit could he not play on the right? Hoever is nowhere near being prem FB.

Sussex Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Can't professional players play on different sides of the pitch? If Jonny's fit could he not play on the right? Hoever is nowhere near being prem FB.

Much as I would like that, I just don’t think they would want to risk Jonny for full games week in and week out yet. Better to have him on the bench and able to cover at the moment.

TriumphWolf

Reaction score
6-8 weeks out, i Would expect the rehab team to be a little cautious - no point in rushing his return, gently does it and all well-prepared for next season

Hoganstolemywife

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Real blow but I'm hopeful Jonny will step up. Hooever was very poor at the weekend and the Spaniard would be a welcome addition to our starting XI if he's back to his levels

Back
Top Bottom