Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Nelson Semedo

OLDGOLD

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Adama used to get called lazy when absolutely every player and coach who worked with him said he was one of most professional and hardest working. I haven't seen any criticism of Semedo I thought was remotely like that
I am not sure I would consider many of Adamas performances as hard working tbh. I will be charitable and say his build has him pegged out more for explosive rather than sustained effort, rather than laziness.... and of course he could be very hard working and professional in training and prep etc

AndyY

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I've only seen him a couple of times but I'm much more excited about Lembikisia than Hoever. People who watch the u18s do you think he could be ready for the squad next season?
To be frank, I would rather he had played on Saturday. Looks to be the sort of player that has confidence, enthusiasm, work rate and ability in abundance.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Yeah. The past 3-4 months or so. Before then? Is Bruno wrong now?
Hes been excellent all season, so if Bruno is saying different then yes hes totally wrong
As for the guy that says we criticise black players on here, as apparently we are inherently racists, well perhaps look in the mirror mate
Ive never seen the slightest trace of racism on these boards
Ive criticised Hoever,Coady,Kilman,Donk and yes Traore,Semedo and many more,equally ive praised them too
Anyone that doesnt perform gets criticised regardless of colour or creed,in fact i never even give it a micro seconds thought,nor do any on here as far as i can see
It says more about you than it does about the rest of the posters,like i say look in the mirror mate as obviously you have the greater problem

Timberwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Baseless yet…you can’t refute it.
Lol…you make a spurious claim with no basis, yet I’m the one that needs to provide some sort of evidence to the contrary.
Okay mate, you’re welcome to live in your dystopian fantasy world where everyone is a secret racist, misogynist, homophobe, baby eating Nazi. Good luck!

Manic88

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Lol…you make a spurious claim with no basis, yet I’m the one that needs to provide some sort of evidence to the contrary.
Okay mate, you’re welcome to live in your dystopian fantasy world where everyone is a secret racist, misogynist, homophobe, baby eating Nazi. Good luck!

Not everyone, just those that slag of one of the most talented players we’ve ever had because of how he ranks up on their dulux colour chart.

I’ll keep chipping away until you **** off back to the Stone Age where you belong

WeAreTheWolvesII

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not everyone, just those that slag of one of the most talented players we’ve ever had because of how he ranks up on their dulux colour chart.

I’ll keep chipping away until you **** off back to the Stone Age where you belong
This is a bit of a daft road to go down.

Semedo got criticised because he was replacing Doherty who was an important player for us over the years and was a goal threat.

It's obviously simplistic to compare them on goal contributions, especially as they're wing-backs, but the facts are Doherty scored 8 goals and registered 8 assists in his last two seasons.

In one and a half seasons, Semedo has scored one goal and has got two assists.

He also had a mixed start and giving away a stupid penalty so we lose to Villa in the last minute is not going to help.

So, the criticism directed towards him was based on three things IMO.

1. He had a mixed start. Some people make their minds up early on players, unfairly, but it's how it is. It can take more time to win them round.
2. His price tag. People always say it shouldn't matter, but it does. Look at Silva. For £27-37m fans were expecting a world-class performer. That fee must put him as one of the most expensive right-backs EVER? So there was an expectancy that he wouldn't just be 'good' but excellent. He wasn't last season.
3. His attacking output. It simply doesn't stack up to Doherty and you should be expecting more than one goal and two assists in 57 games from a wing-back. You really should.

This isn't getting into a Doherty vs Semedo debate because Semedo is a much better defender, I think we'd all agree, but some people place more value on the attacking output, that's their opinion and it's an understandable one, even if you disagree.

Also, Semedo hasn't really been criticised by the majority for around a year now if we're honest. I'd say he's one of the most popular players in the squad, people just like referring back to the first few months.

For you to say people are only critical of him because he's black is pathetic to be honest, as well as being unfair and wrong.

Greeno

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The above sums up where I am with Semedo, but we were all getting carried away with "Stingy Wolves never concede goals!, Only Man City better!" ... and Semedo is obviously a BIG part of that. That cannot be ignored, but it would be nice if he could have more of an 'output' to appease the casual fan of what we paid for him.

He gets is so many good positions!

T

TheConcourse

Villa will set up 4-1-3-1 . Ramsey McGinn Coutinho and Douglas Luis sitting with Watkins upfront . The fullbacks provide their width . We need to pin theirs back and stop the overload in midfield as without Neves it’s the midfield battle that I fear most .
Yeah, I get the feeling we’ll sit very deep play with a front two of Podence and Silva for an hour before we introduce some pace.

Probably best for our team. We can’t open up against players like Coutinho. If he gets space and time we could be in real trouble.

I’m expecting a cagey game.. a narrow defeat or draw.

Huyton W88lvo

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Yeah, I get the feeling we’ll sit very deep play with a front two of Podence and Silva for an hour before we introduce some pace.

Probably best for our team. We can’t open up against players like Coutinho. If he gets space and time we could be in real trouble.

I’m expecting a cagey game.. a narrow defeat or draw.
I’d bite your hand off if a draw was on offer now to keep the 10 point gap

Fenrir_

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Villa will set up 4-1-3-1 . Ramsey McGinn Coutinho and Douglas Luis sitting with Watkins upfront . The fullbacks provide their width . We need to pin theirs back and stop the overload in midfield as without Neves it’s the midfield battle that I fear most .
I bloody hope they set up 4-1-3-1, we should beat ten men ;)

Hanbury_Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Be great to have all 3 FB/WBs available.

Given they all have fitness concerns, a good bit of rotating with plenty of game time for all 3 over the remainder of season seems sensible.

Jonny is to good going forward to play in the back 3 in my opinion. His link up play is sublime at times.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Anyone that doesnt perform gets criticised regardless of colour or creed,in fact i never even give it a micro seconds thought,nor do any on here as far as i can see
It says more about you than it does about the rest of the posters,like i say look in the mirror mate as obviously you have the greater problem

I want to add something here. Not in the spirit of calling anyone a 'racist', but because I think it's important to clarify the claim.

There will be a small number of fans who will deliberately choose to criticise black players (and other players who aren't white) because they are white supremacists. I will never forget a vile conversation between a group of fans about Carl Cort on a train back from a match once, where they explicitly tied his (supposed) laziness to his race.

But I don't think that's what's being alleged here. Rather, because black people have for so long been associated with certain attributes such as laziness and a lack of loyalty (associations that often stem from slavery), we are quicker to make those associations without even realising it. Not all of these associations are explicitly negative on their own (those relevant for football include pace, strength and power), but they still restrict how we see black players in ways that don't exist for other players (black players are less often praised for their intelligence, for example, or are expected to be super-strong). I think this really affected how Olofinjana was seen, for example, because he didn't fit the mould of what our fans expected a black midfielder to be (Olofinjana's tackling stats were as good as white midfielders he played with, but they were never called a 'fairy').

None of this means we can't criticise, but I think we need to keep it in mind when we think about doing so.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bruno mentions he is in full training and may feature tomorrow but as yet nothing about Neto.

goldfish

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there was an article, not long ago, where Bruno spoke about this & Jonny telling him he can play all 5 positions across the back.

Although he said this I'd be surprised if he went this way: one of the biggest differences from Nuno to Bruno is how we set our defence up to deal with aerial threats. Jonny and Marcal might be able to play centre-half if absolutely needed, but I think we'd see Boly, Toti or Dendoncker there before either of them.

Golden_Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Although he said this I'd be surprised if he went this way: one of the biggest differences from Nuno to Bruno is how we set our defence up to deal with aerial threats. Jonny and Marcal might be able to play centre-half if absolutely needed, but I think we'd see Boly, Toti or Dendoncker there before either of them.

That's a good point actually. Definitely shows with the how good we've been defending set pieces.

Black Country Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I want to add something here. Not in the spirit of calling anyone a 'racist', but because I think it's important to clarify the claim.

There will be a small number of fans who will deliberately choose to criticise black players (and other players who aren't white) because they are white supremacists. I will never forget a vile conversation between a group of fans about Carl Cort on a train back from a match once, where they explicitly tied his (supposed) laziness to his race.

But I don't think that's what's being alleged here. Rather, because black people have for so long been associated with certain attributes such as laziness and a lack of loyalty (associations that often stem from slavery), we are quicker to make those associations without even realising it. Not all of these associations are explicitly negative on their own (those relevant for football include pace, strength and power), but they still restrict how we see black players in ways that don't exist for other players (black players are less often praised for their intelligence, for example, or are expected to be super-strong). I think this really affected how Olofinjana was seen, for example, because he didn't fit the mould of what our fans expected a black midfielder to be (Olofinjana's tackling stats were as good as white midfielders he played with, but they were never called a 'fairy').

None of this means we can't criticise, but I think we need to keep it in mind when we think about doing so.
I get what you are saying,theres always going to be a small minority of,lets call it what it is,racists
What i dont agree with you is this "keep it in mind before saying anything"
Why do i,or anyone else, need to keep anything in mind before criticising or indeed praising any player?
I say it as it is,white ,black ,yellow, pink or green lol
If a player is fast and powerful, i say that he is fast and powerful,Steve Kindon was a perfect example of that,once he got up to speed
How else could i describe Adama? He is a very swift, powerful player, simple,nothing to do with any subliminal gene i have, its just fact
Its others that put any kind of colour slant on this, not me,or the many others that use such terminology
If a player is lightweight or idle then i call him out for being so, theres nothing else to see in the comments,just an honest opinion

Oldgold Wolfcub

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Think there was an article, not long ago, where Bruno spoke about this & Jonny telling him he can play all 5 positions across the back.
Wow that would be something. We might even score if we have 9 outfield players attacking. Mind you I am not sure that Jonny could keep that up for 90 minutes plus. :D

dewolfman

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Semedo was brilliant before he got injured, we have two top class right wing backs, can’t see semedo being happy as a sub for long and we can’t really afford keeping a man worth 26mill on the bench.

Back
Top Bottom