Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Muscat/Bellamy incident

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was watching a few old Wolves clips from the late 90's on YouTube and this came up in the suggestions. I remember the incident of course, but couldn't remember just how bad it was.

Go to around 45 minutes. Can't imagine the extent of the ban he'd receive now.

E

Essex Wolf

I have often wondered if the ref either didn't see it or didn't see anything wrong in it?

Last edited by a moderator:

derbyrameater

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Was watching a few old Wolves clips from the late 90's on YouTube and this came up in the suggestions. I remember the incident of course, but couldn't remember just how bad it was.

Look at 46-47 secs closely and it looks like Bellamy right foot goes up then come down in a stamping motion, and we know what a sly bugger Bellamy was, so I wonder did Muscat realise what Bellamy was going to try and won.

Ponty

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Muscat told a mate of mine that earlier in the game Bellamy had called him a half-need Aboriginal *******. Muscat couldn’t get close to him he was so quick so when the opportunity arose to foul him he took it. Possibly the worst challenge I’ve seen by a Wolves player in nearly 50 years watching them. Clearly the ref didn’t see it as he didn’t even give a foul. Rioch’s reaction is priceless.

Derby Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Only out for seven weeks with it. Hardly Matty Holmes is it? Intent was there to seriously hurt him though.

E

E is for idiot.

First viewing I didn't think it was that bad. In slow motion though bloody hell it was a shocker.

Norwegian Wolf

Reaction score
Not condoning the challenge in any way, but I recall that Bellamy had gone in very late on Curle earlier in the game and was pushing his luck with a number of other challenges. If Muscat hadn't have taken him out, then Curle might well have done so instead.

D

Deleted member 3545

i didnt think it was that bad clever challenge in my books

maws

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Carbons was worse bet the **** fans don't worry about it ruining George's career

E

Essex Wolf

Look at 46-47 secs closely and it looks like Bellamy right foot goes up then come down in a stamping motion, and we know what a sly bugger Bellamy was, so I wonder did Muscat realise what Bellamy was going to try and won.
See what you mean and with it being Bellamy it wouldn't be a surprise or shock to find that may be the case?

No, he'd told Bellamy "it's coming" way before he did it.
Nice bloke off the pitch but a **** house coward on it.
Good of him to give him warning though.

Muscat told a mate of mine that earlier in the game Bellamy had called him a half-need Aboriginal *******. Muscat couldn’t get close to him he was so quick so when the opportunity arose to foul him he took it. Possibly the worst challenge I’ve seen by a Wolves player in nearly 50 years watching them. Clearly the ref didn’t see it as he didn’t even give a foul. Rioch’s reaction is priceless.
If that's true you can understand why Muscat targetted him. Not saying it's right or acceptable but does tend to maybe explain Muscat's actions. The old saying of playing with fire and getting burnt springs to mind.

Not condoning the challenge in any way, but I recall that Bellamy had gone in very late on Curle earlier in the game and was pushing his luck with a number of other challenges. If Muscat hadn't have taken him out, then Curle might well have done so instead.
Bellamy had a reputaion of being a nasty piece of work on the pitch and has a great deal to be ashamed and embarrassed by with some of his antics over the years.

GY Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Not good, but those sad backward idiots decided to hate Wolves on that basis? Jeez

mcwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Matt Carbons was worse bet the **** fans don't worry about it ruining George's career
yep I remember it well. over the top which as you say crocked him good and proper. was never the same player after that reckless challenge.
George was the quickest player of the mark I had ever seen . lightning quick

E

Essex Wolf

Not good, but those sad backward idiots decided to hate Wolves on that basis? Jeez
They're not the smartest or sharpest bunch in the world but I suppose when your biggest concern in life is what farm animal to two time your wife with they need other distractions.

Read an interview with Bellamy some time back, he stated that he loved to get into the defenders ear, telling what he was gonna do and all that

Picked the wrong bloke. **** him

G’day!
Harsh as it may sound and wrong as it was it couldn't have happened to a nicer, sorry nastier, bloke than him.

Sketchead

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
No matter how bad it was, it will never be as bad as the time Ben Thatcher(?) almost murdered Pedro Mendes. Now that was rough!

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score
Could never forgive Muscat for the Matty Holmes challenge and how he let us down with that sending-off against Grimsby in the choke season.

D

Deleted member 4152

No matter how bad it was, it will never be as bad as the time Ben Thatcher(?) almost murdered Pedro Mendes. Now that was rough!
As has been stated the Carbon one on Ndah was worse, what about the fabregas one on ward at the Mol, nearly snapped in half and the ref just waved play on

Bugsy911

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellamy has been giving it our all game and was only a matter of when one of our players could get close enough to nail him , shame about the injury but if you give it our be prepared to take it.

Tring Wolf

MolMix Poster of the Season Winner 2011-2012 and r
Reaction score

That, Carbon and Keane on Haaland are the worst three I've seen.

Given its pre-meditated nature, Keane's was an absolute disgrace. Should have been banned indefinitely.

Guzeppi

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I feel that Muscat was a very misunderstood but gentle spirit. I'm sure all his fouls were accidental. He just was very passionate about his football. He also liked poetry and visiting the opera. A true softy in fact.

;)

northnorfolkwolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
As a Wolves fan living in the area it wasn't good and they've never forgiven us or forgotten. After Ipswich they hate us still.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Bellamy did a couple of bad challenges iirc and said he was going to get Muscat next. You live by the sword, you die by the sword imo. Also heard the same about him calling him a convict aboriginal half breed as well.

Actually shows how much the game has changed. Tackles and retribution like that were common place in the 60's and 70's

S

ShropshireLad

Muscat! :mad:

It's one thing to have a hard man or two in the squad but Muscat was mental as his subsequent career has unfolded.

Jonny De Wolf

Has a lot to say
Reaction score

Would be a lengthy ban these days - can't go running on the pitch to remonstrate with the Ref & man handle him
Assume we were talking about Rioch

Woburn Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
When we had Muzzy and Curle in the team forwards usually did not mess with us. In different ways both were intimidating.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Story I heard is that Bellamy was telling Carl Robinson how **** he was in the tunnel and how he’d never play for Wales and Muscat told Bellamy he was gonna do him and duly obliged. I loved Muscat until Grimsby, he’d fallen out with Jones and got himself sent off intentionally.

Deak77

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Sat in the North bank I remember hearing a meaty "crack from that challenge.

One of my other memories of Muscat was away at Sheff Utd,he went up for a header with Marcelo,won the header and then followed it up with a sly thump in the back,Marcelo didn' come out for the second half. We still bloody lost though,think it was the match that Akinbiyi managed to hit the corner flag from the goal line.

manchesterwolf17

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
In Bellamy's autobiography he mentions that there was a rift between him and Muscat in the game at Carrow Road only a month before, and then at Molineux from the first minute Muscat was warning him that he was gonna get him at some point during the game.

After the match had finished, Carl Robinson and Keith Curle went and visited Bellamy in hospital, but KM didn't.

D

Deleted member 4594

Could never forgive Muscat for the Matty Holmes challenge and how he let us down with that sending-off against Grimsby in the choke season.
Great bloke Matty Holmes, and a typical cowardly Muscat tackle ruined his career. Find it very sad that people defend Muscat just because he played for us. He was never hard, he was a coward who went into challenges that he knew could only hurt his opponent. **** house coward who let us all down with a typically cowardly elbow against Grimsby.

WW1963

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
First time I've seen it. He's done far worse than that - as has the gobby Bellamy. Norwich fans had me believe that Muscat broke both of Bellamy's legs and then ate one of his kids.

I now have a rational reason to hate Norwich.

D

Deleted member 4152

Story I heard is that Bellamy was telling Carl Robinson how **** he was in the tunnel and how he’d never play for Wales and Muscat told Bellamy he was gonna do him and duly obliged. I loved Muscat until Grimsby, he’d fallen out with Jones and got himself sent off intentionally.
He did it earlier in the grimsby game as well, sent an elbow. The ref either didn’t see it or ignored it tho, so he did it again. Rumour was at the time that muscat called dave jones a kiddy fiddler in training (no idea if that’s true, would seem brave tho as Dave Jones is apparently a right hard *******). Something to do with muscat wanting to be rested so as to not interfere with his move to Rangers?

xbomber

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I'd have no issue with Muscat if he hadn't selfishly put his needs first and ****ed us over at that Grimsby match.

The time we needed him most, and that loss at home put a nail in our coffin and galvanized Albion.

**** him.

QB Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He did it earlier in the grimsby game as well, sent an elbow. The ref either didn’t see it or ignored it tho, so he did it again. Rumour was at the time that muscat called dave jones a kiddy fiddler in training (no idea if that’s true, would seem brave tho as Dave Jones is apparently a right hard *******). Something to do with muscat wanting to be rested so as to not interfere with his move to Rangers?
I was there that day and saw both flailing elbows!!!

Back
Top Bottom