Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Mulgrew/Friend

WISAW

Has a lot to say
Reaction score
Hope Friend develops into the player we all hope but it just got me thinking, if its 'one for the future', then why get rid of something similiar we already had?!

Deutsch Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Friend doesn't mind living here, while Mulgrew did?

djackl

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Maybe Friend is better than Mulgrew? 'One for the future' is not some arbitrary definition which, once applied, makes all potential players exactly the same.

Reaction score
Friend is also a lot younger than Mulgrew. 18 v 21? More time to develop, so even if Friend is no better at the moment (which I'm not saying he is, just for arguments sake) he might have more potential to improve.

D

Del Woppio

The thread starter makes an excellent point, TBH. IMO, we've tried one young left back, and it didn't work. Ergo, young left backs don't work at Wolves. That's why we started trying strikers there, see.

Deutsch Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
The thread starter makes an excellent point, TBH. IMO, we've tried one young left back, and it didn't work. Ergo, young left backs don't work at Wolves. That's why we started trying strikers there, see.

And you should always make snap judgements about a player after 52 minutes at this level. Career defining.

Deutsch Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Dan Jones is at Oldham. They lost 3-1 last night against Stockport. I imagine Oldham fans are writing him off right now.

G

Goldisocks

Dan Jones is at Oldham. They lost 3-1 last night against Stockport. I imagine Oldham fans are writing him off right now.

Well McCarthy seems to have done just that.

Gray was probably partying in the Mumbles (or more likely injured)

D

Deleted member 3751

So he's had a bit of a baptism of fire. I won't be making any judgements on a young left back from 50-odd minutes of radio commentary. Bit different I know but I remember Evra having a stinker of a debut for Man U, done alright since though hasn't he?

Before forming my own opinion of George Friend I'll wait until I've seen him at Molineux (and give him 10 minutes!!!!)

S

Stewarton Wolf

And you should always make snap judgements about a player after 52 minutes at this level. Career defining.
McCarthy seemed to based on Mulgrew's debut, again in South Wales and moved during the game in a similar fashion.

R

Reach For The Sky

I remember going to a game against Huddersfield when a young Lee Naylor was playing at left back, Huddersfield scored from their first meaningful attack and Naylor was at fault in the build up. In their wisdom, McGhee and Lee decided to take Naylor off after less than 15 minutes of the game.

Naylor made it in football in the end, despite having to drop down to the level of Scottish football. I'm sure this lad Friend will also do O.K., despite reportedly making a poor start with Wolves.

djackl

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
McCarthy seemed to based on Mulgrew's debut, again in South Wales and moved during the game in a similar fashion.

Because, of course, the manager has absolutely nothing to go on regarding a player's ability besides what we see in 90 minutes.

S

Stewarton Wolf

Because, of course, the manager has absolutely nothing to go on regarding a player's ability besides what we see in 90 minutes.
That's why he plays regularly for Scotland U21's and was always highly rated

E

EasternWolf

Maybe Mulgrew didn........ $$$$ it I cant be bothered.

Give Friend a chance. I have to hear of him at least twice on the radio before i make up my mind.

Wednesbury Wolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I also remember a certain John Richards making his debut for us,most of us on the South bank didn't rate him, thinking he was too lighweight.And as they say - the rest is history.

astraltrader

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Friend will evolve into a very good player of that I feel certain.
I just hope he is given a fair chance to do so with us at Wolves.

I know he is a different age and circumstance - but the principle is the same -Ingemarrson [never spell it right!] evolved into a really useful player
a shame that he was never really given the chance to do so with us...

Adrian_Monk

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
That's why he plays regularly for Scotland U21's and was always highly rated

Barry Ferguson is widely respected and has been outstanding in Scotland but looked very ordinary at best in England. Players who look great in the SPL don't always do so well in England.

Here's some more:

Tom Boyd, Paul Bernard, Mark Burchill, Gerry Crainey, Mike Galloway, Stephen Glass, Eoin Jess, Frank McGarvey, Tosh McKinlay, Phil O'Donnell (RIP), Simon Donnelly, Gavin Rae, etc

Mulgrew may do well at SPL level and good luck to him, but despite his potential he never looked like he would make the grade here. Mick made the right decision and will make the right decision regarding Friend as his handling of and decision making regarding players here so far has been as good as any manager could be expected to be.

Back
Top Bottom