Welcome Notice

Hello and welcome to Molineux Mix a forum for Wolves fans by Wolves fans.

Register Log in

Moutinho, a non Wolves appreciation.

Mile End Wanderer

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Il be so happy Moutinho stays. I understand if the right offer comes in for Neves that partnership will be broken but we can’t have it all. Joao gets better with age

R

reanswolf

A lot of the dirty work. What the French call a water carrier.
Problem is a lot of the time (not all the time) he doesn't even carry the water, he just chases it but doesn't get his feet wet.

We definitely need someone who has physicality in CM, but IMO and sadly, someone way better and more mobile, or more consistent than Donk.

R

reanswolf

Absolutely made-up that Moutinho wants to stay.

I can't tell you just how sad I have been feeling about him and Ruben possibly leaving us (which of course is inevitable at some stage).

I was on the verge of ordering a 10-foot banner for our last home game in tribute to them both, but of course I don't yet know what's happening with them both. It would (potentially) read: -

"When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure"

Thank you RUBEN and JOAO - WOLVES LEGENDS"

I know a lot of people don't like sentimental *******s in football, but football makes me sentimental.
Would welcome people's thoughts - is this a bit crass?

JadeWolf

Official Noddy pre match thread starter.
Reaction score
Absolutely made-up that Moutinho wants to stay.

I can't tell you just how sad I have been feeling about him and Ruben possibly leaving us (which of course is inevitable at some stage).

I was on the verge of ordering a 10-foot banner for our last home game in tribute to them both, but of course I don't yet know what's happening with them both. It would (potentially) read: -

"When someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure"

Thank you RUBEN and JOAO - WOLVES LEGENDS"

I know a lot of people don't like sentimental *******s in football, but football makes me sentimental.
Would welcome people's thoughts - is this a bit crass?
Love the sentiments Reansy! Sometimes the more simple the message is the better. I remember seeing the “Obrigado Nuno” banner last season and thinking that’s far better than if someone had written something really long and slushy.

R

reanswolf

Love the sentiments Reansy! Sometimes the more simple the message is the better. I remember seeing the “Obrigado Nuno” banner last season and thinking that’s far better than if someone had written something really long and slushy.
Probably right Jade, I'm just a sentimental old git at heart :)-.
Not very South Bank-ish is it :flushed:

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Be a bit hypocritical of me would'nt it, having judged him substandard over the last year or so.

Or maybe I should get a banner saying "Donk, you've let us down again" :)-.
Then he gets the winner...

R

reanswolf

Then he gets the winner...
I hope so. But more often stick it yards wide with a Donald duck, web-footed shot.

I don't actually want him to look like a sack of potatoes most games. I genuinely want him to do well, like he did when he first got here.
But too many substandard performances for me. Would never boo a Wolves player, but these days it seems to be viewed as a bad thing if you make criticism of any player on a forum. I'm sure he has broad enough shoulders and a big enough pay packet to take a bit of criticism on a fans forum.

WickedWolfie

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I hope so. But more often stick it yards wide with a Donald duck, web-footed shot.

I don't actually want him to look like a sack of potatoes most games. I genuinely want him to do well, like he did when he first got here.
But too many substandard performances for me. Would never boo a Wolves player, but these days it seems to be viewed as a bad thing if you make criticism of any player on a forum. I'm sure he has broad enough shoulders and a big enough pay packet to take a bit of criticism on a fans forum.
I think that he has had some poor games, most players do, but being in and out of the team and playing, presumably at the manager's request, in some rather strange positions hasn't helped. I do feel that he has become the latest scapegoat (Saiss, Adama and/or Semedo having been the previous incumbents) though.

R

reanswolf

I think that he has had some poor games, most players do, but being in and out of the team and playing, presumably at the manager's request, in some rather strange positions hasn't helped. I do feel that he has become the latest scapegoat (Saiss, Adama and/or Semedo having been the previous incumbents) though.
Fair enough it’s all personal opinion. I take your points but the very fact he has been used hotpotch suggests Bruno wants better. So do I, sadly.

Next seasons line up will be telling.

Last edited by a moderator:

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will probably get some pelters for this but I think the time is right for him to leave now with our best wishes. He has looked way off the pace in the last few weeks and I think the midfield is in real need of fresh legs and new inspiration. A brilliant player for us but I think the time is right for new leaders and players to come in and emerge.

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I will probably get some pelters for this but I think the time is right for him to leave now with our best wishes. He has looked way off the pace in the last few weeks and I think the midfield is in real need of fresh legs and new inspiration. A brilliant player for us but I think the time is right for new leaders and players to come in and emerge.

I think it would be a huge mistake to let him go. He's been generally good this year but we have again run the bloke into the ground.

Reaction score
Has he made any noises about doing his coaches badges? Can we keep him in the fold somehow, or does he want one last playing challenge/pay day somewhere else?

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
I think it would be a huge mistake to let him go. He's been generally good this year but we have again run the bloke into the ground.

Trouble is, Mugwump, he isnt getting any younger and this is the premier league. His wages must be high and it is clear we need younger and more mobile alternatives in central midfield. Moutinho should not be a regular starter next season but will he want to stay if he isnt and how much are the powers that be prepared to pay compared to his current salary?

My hunch it is time for him to move on with our best wishes and for new heroes and leaders to emerge via new signings.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Trouble is, Mugwump, he isnt getting any younger and this is the premier league. His wages must be high and it is clear we need younger and more mobile alternatives in central midfield. Moutinho should not be a regular starter next season but will he want to stay if he isnt and how much are the powers that be prepared to pay compared to his current salary?

My hunch it is time for him to move on with our best wishes and for new heroes and leaders to emerge via new signings.
Unless we sign Benjamin Button nobody is getting any younger. He should be a regular starter but with more legs around him, he's still absolute quality.

Supadavewolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Fully agree Jos, well expressed - far better than "get rid", which we see all too often in posts.

Matt

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Still got plenty to offer us imo. We need more central midfielders, not less.

JOSWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Unless we sign Benjamin Button nobody is getting any younger. He should be a regular starter but with more legs around him, he's still absolute quality.

We will agree to disagree on him being a regular starter next season.

lets all have a disco

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
It's a very dangerous game getting rid off all your experience n knowledge is one swoop.....off course nobody thinks moutinho should play every game and not be supported by more legs or extra physicality next season, BUT for me if Neves leaves we have to sign moutinho for another season, or we will be down to nothing if we don't..
He also is big influence around recruitment with other Portuguese players such as guedes n Rafa Silva etc.
Sometimes you have to look at the bigger picture...neves will be a loss, can we afford to lose moutinho as well......flip side if neves stays I would replace him..

fleck1

Reaction score
Neither Neves nor Moutinho have legs that is our issue, nothing to do with age. Their game isn't built around pace, for me a big mistake to let Joao go if this was the case. Don't think well appreciate how good he still is until he isn't around, he'll go on for a few more years yet. The ultimate professional, he will be as fit as anyone in that squad. I would prefer him to be managed properly rather than flogged every week, in every competition but I guess that's more a recruitment issue.

theweave

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Mouts wants to stay .. Wolves want him to stay .. only 1 problem Mouts must take a paycut to stay .. this could be the stumbling block ..
Surely he'd have to take a pay cut if he went elsewhere too though?

SteveBullsKnee

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
Personally with Neves being pretty much guaranteed to leave in the summer, we have to give Moutinho another season. The idea of two new CM’s coming in who will undoubtedly be inexperienced (certainly in the EPL) is a terrifying thought. I’m all for freshening the squad, in fact we need to, but I’d say 5 or 6 come in and same go out we could be very light in experience and as we all know this league is unforgiving. We can’t afford 2-3 months of players bedding in.

WalsallWolf

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needs to stay but we need mobile players around him. The main problem last night was the middle three. Take any two of Moutinho, Neves, Dendoncker and add a midfield player with legs who can actually an outlet through the middle and we are laughing if playing three in the middle, whether that's with 5 at the back or 4. All goals and attacks from city led to us either being outrun and bossed in the middle of the park. As good as Neves and Moutinho are, they are static with it. And Dendoncker is just, well, he is Dendoncker.

I dont think MGW is the answer though.

RMNottm

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score
He needs to stay but we need mobile players around him. The main problem last night was the middle three. Take any two of Moutinho, Neves, Dendoncker and add a midfield player with legs who can actually an outlet through the middle and we are laughing if playing three in the middle, whether that's with 5 at the back or 4. All goals and attacks from city led to us either being outrun and bossed in the middle of the park. As good as Neves and Moutinho are, they are static with it. And Dendoncker is just, well, he is Dendoncker.

I dont think MGW is the answer though.
Mouts is quality but please God not him AND Coady in the same Prem. side next season!

Mugwump

Just doesn't shut up
Reaction score

At the moment I just think it's too big a loss in terms of experience and know how. There is a strong possibility we lose Neves and Dendoncker so keeping around Mouts for another 12 months seems a sensible option.

D

Deleted member 8455jwf

Mouts staying as a squad player and his wage not blocking signing 2 new CMs is probably fine. If he stays and we only recruit 1 then it is a big error.

Said in other thread club will 100% do it though. Cheap good PR vs signing a new player

Back
Top Bottom